Subject: "(del) thos" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #56835
Show all folders

thos (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 03:53 AM

#56835, "(del) thos"

I just can't take it anymore. Over 100 charges lost in seperate occasions in an area I just wasn't meant to explore. All those hours and I never even came away with anything remotely cool to show for it. Guess I'm just not good at areas. I wouldn't even mind losing it in PK but this just leaves me with no interest to continue.

Some goodbyes:

Empire:

Khar: Good Emperor, pity you weren't around more.

Hunsobo: A real beast, we really tore things up together.

Others:

Kanaev: Don't think I could ever beat you, always had to play really cautious just because getting blind and cursed is death, so made our fights really unfun and boring.

Zesam: Thanks for the healing, sorry I kept getting your name wrong =)

I guess it's a testament to what a bonehead I am that I managed to lose 5 times as many charges to mobs as players, but such are the breaks. It kind of sucks now that 90% of CF's playerbase is a speedbump and the other 10% will give you a good run for your money. Made me just want to beat up on that 90% and build a decent axe and tackle exploration areas. Well, that worked out well. I think I'm done with CF, just pitched all my area explore notes. Just is a bummer that the only person able to get/see all this good stuff in the last four months is well, you know.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Thos, you bonehead...., Twist, 30-Mar-07 04:56 PM, #34
Reply hehe, Adrigon, 30-Mar-07 02:32 AM, #21
Reply Hrmph, Shooloo (Guest), 29-Mar-07 04:35 PM, #14
Reply RE: (del) thos, Waserax (Guest), 29-Mar-07 02:20 PM, #8
Reply I get confused by these comments., CraftedD (Guest), 29-Mar-07 02:23 PM, #9
     Reply RE: I get confused by these comments., Eskelian, 29-Mar-07 02:43 PM, #10
     Reply I think I understand the spirit of Waserax' post:, Aodh, 29-Mar-07 03:08 PM, #11
     Reply RE: I think I understand the spirit of Waserax' post:, Eskelian, 29-Mar-07 03:19 PM, #12
          Reply Correct., Nivek1, 29-Mar-07 05:30 PM, #15
          Reply The version of "evil" you describe, A2, 29-Mar-07 05:46 PM, #17
          Reply RE: The version of, Esk (Guest), 30-Mar-07 01:58 PM, #25
          Reply Nah, Aodh, 29-Mar-07 07:40 PM, #18
          Reply Great. Here comes the Straw man argument., Esk (Guest), 30-Mar-07 02:26 PM, #26
               Reply RE: Great. Here comes the Straw man argument., Aodh, 30-Mar-07 03:03 PM, #30
          Reply RE: I think I understand the spirit of Waserax' post:, Waserax (Guest), 29-Mar-07 09:04 PM, #19
          Reply The relevent bit..., Esk (Guest), 30-Mar-07 02:29 PM, #27
          Reply RE: I think I understand the spirit of Waserax' post:, thos (Guest), 30-Mar-07 04:57 PM, #35
               Reply RE: I think I understand the spirit of Waserax' post:, Waserax (Guest), 30-Mar-07 11:20 PM, #36
          Reply Sportsmanship, Valkenar, 30-Mar-07 11:14 AM, #24
               Reply How was Thos a prick?, Esk (Guest), 30-Mar-07 02:35 PM, #29
                    Reply RE: How was Thos a prick?, Valkenar, 30-Mar-07 03:45 PM, #31
                    Reply Who said there was? n/t, Esk (Guest), 30-Mar-07 04:21 PM, #33
                    Reply I don't think people are tearing apart Thos in this pos..., Quixotic_LZ (Guest), 30-Mar-07 03:45 PM, #32
     Reply At what point does character killing become player kill..., Quixotic, 29-Mar-07 04:34 PM, #13
     Reply RE: I get confused by these comments., Waserax (Guest), 29-Mar-07 05:35 PM, #16
Reply RE: (del) thos, Eulinda (Guest), 29-Mar-07 09:10 AM, #3
Reply I concur, Halistanis (Guest), 29-Mar-07 10:14 AM, #4
     Reply RE: I concur, Thos (Guest), 29-Mar-07 11:45 AM, #5
          Reply RE: I concur, Karel, 29-Mar-07 01:38 PM, #7
          Reply RE: I concur, Palan (Guest), 29-Mar-07 10:55 PM, #20
               Reply have you ever heard of cabdru, maybe kharglun, or even ..., laxmantor (Guest), 30-Mar-07 09:09 AM, #22
               Reply I concede. You win., Palan (Guest), 30-Mar-07 09:34 AM, #23
               Reply RE: have you ever heard of cabdru, maybe kharglun, or e..., Esk (Guest), 30-Mar-07 02:33 PM, #28
                    Reply you obviously are not up to date on your cf history, laxminator (Guest), 31-Mar-07 09:37 AM, #38
                         Reply I was around with Cabdru when he was in his lower ranks..., Esk (Guest), 02-Apr-07 09:55 AM, #40
                              Reply Really?, Daevryn, 02-Apr-07 12:57 PM, #41
                                   Reply RE: Really?, Isildur, 02-Apr-07 01:12 PM, #42
                                   Reply RE: Really?, Esk (Guest), 02-Apr-07 09:44 PM, #43
                                   Reply RE: Really?, Thos (Guest), 03-Apr-07 10:25 PM, #44
               Reply Nep's ap?, incognito, 31-Mar-07 05:04 AM, #37
                    Reply No, he picked on newbs, he picked on vets, anyone that ..., Guy (Guest), 31-Mar-07 04:30 PM, #39
Reply Nicely done tongers, Abernytee (Guest), 29-Mar-07 08:00 AM, #2
Reply You're not referring to the Tong that played Sasou are ..., Moridin, 29-Mar-07 01:05 PM, #6
Reply RE: (del) thos, Xinrithil (Guest), 29-Mar-07 07:32 AM, #1

TwistFri 30-Mar-07 04:56 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#56921, "Thos, you bonehead...."
In response to Reply #0

You haven't actually *DELETED*, which you may want to do before posting a deletion thread.

At this point, you can either

A: Login as Thos and delete (immediately, please, since you've basically become dead to the world via this thread), or

B: Have us deny Thos for you, which will make him ineligible for any PBF lovin'.

We'd prefer A! Thos was a well-known and feared char and I'm sure some folks would like to see his PBF (plus hey Five bucks is Five bucks). If you don't delete the char by, say, tomorrow night, we'll deny him.

Thanks!

AdrigonFri 30-Mar-07 02:28 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
158 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#56894, "hehe"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 30-Mar-07 02:32 AM

we fought some. had some fun. damnable that I was logged in here or I could have been more specific, heh.

Shooloo (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 04:35 PM

#56867, "Hrmph"
In response to Reply #0

Thos was sorta like I talk like Hunsobo and I'm going to take you to lots of area explore places because you're a healer and I don't have to ask much of you. That's about all I got from Thos. At least I could count on the second I saw you on who you'd ask if we could go do something; that's always nice in a bored period, but terrible when the balance was against you. We never really got to fight, because it was usually I saw darkness sways so I go to the fort see who is there.. oh it's the entire hero empire... hit someone.. flee flee flee. And the name thing, I'm sure you enjoyed the

thos says, "Zesam sanc"

Zesam says, "Who?"

And sits there heh

Waserax (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 02:20 PM

#56859, "RE: (del) thos"
In response to Reply #0

Ahivlin's got to be cackling with glee over this one. Heh.

Something always made me feel a little iffy about Thos. You would always ask me to go pop ragers on eastern with you, or go torch people at the Fort. Now, Hunsobo and I do that stuff too (except the bit about ragers), but with him it's usually about taking the enemy's item instead of just killing whoever we can. Now, usually taking the item involves killing, but that's not the "point" per se. One obvious difference between you two is that you had an unholy weapon to charge up and he doesn't, but even still...you just seemed a little too gung ho about it. Maybe just my imagination.

CraftedD (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 02:23 PM

#56860, "I get confused by these comments."
In response to Reply #8

Isnt it a valuable role to go slaughter the fortress/other attempts of civilized beings? Isnt that what an empire does? They sure arnt paying toll or joining your Empress.

EskelianThu 29-Mar-07 02:43 PM
2023 posts
#56861, "RE: I get confused by these comments."
In response to Reply #9

No.

Pk'ing is wrong. Basically you just want to get the orb and avoid killing anyone *ESPECIALLY* if they're your enemy.

That'd just be mean, and imperials don't need to be mean.

AodhThu 29-Mar-07 03:08 PM
Member since 06th Jan 2005
352 posts
#56862, "I think I understand the spirit of Waserax' post:"
In response to Reply #10

He's not saying pking and killing forties is wrong: he's talking about shooting fish in a barrel, and leaving them for Lezram & Co. to pick through. He's a sportsman.

Good for building an axe? Sure... sorta. Over time. (I know I personally was never worth more than one charge. Dunno about any of my cabalmates). Sure, it's Imperial RP to kill everyone. Fun? Sporting? Impressive? You judge.

Damn, CraftedD. You just 0wnz043d me all over the place. The speeding semi truck analogy seems to be perfect for AP's: I/we had a window where we could conceivably do something to you, and have some semblance of a fight. But eventually you were just way too much for us to deal with. At least with our regular numbers/class configuration.

So... wish we could have given you better fights (and wish we could have killed you, har). Damn, but you're a really, really good pker, and very good at minimizing your risks. I wish I could have followed Thos around and watched you. Not only to try to help me kill you, but I know I'd have learned tons.

Good work with the next.

EskelianThu 29-Mar-07 03:19 PM
2023 posts
#56863, "RE: I think I understand the spirit of Waserax' post:"
In response to Reply #11

>He's not saying pking and killing forties is wrong: he's
>talking about shooting fish in a barrel, and leaving them for
>Lezram & Co. to pick through. He's a sportsman.

Imperials shouldn't be sportsmen.

>Good for building an axe? Sure... sorta. Over time. (I know I
>personally was never worth more than one charge. Dunno about
>any of my cabalmates). Sure, it's Imperial RP to kill
>everyone. Fun? Sporting? Impressive? You judge.

They're your enemies. You should be trying to kill them. Maybe not chasing after their ghosts, but there's nothing iffy about an imperial wanting to PK a Maran. There's nothing 'strange' about it. Its the way it should be. Waserax's post comes across like he'd rather be sipping tea with them.

You want everyone to have some role to be gallant, sporting and focused on being impressive. That's a very narrow definition of a character concept and by no means required. When I think of the typical traits I apply to the evil characters I play, the terms 'honor', 'fairness', 'integrity', 'sportsmanship' NEVER enter the picture. Why? Because that's not something most evils should be. They're evil because they'll kick you while you're down and because the ends justify the means and because they're maniacal devious killers who enjoy making trophies out of your skulls.

So, why thrust some role onto him? And moreso, trash him for playing an EVIL character like an EVIL person would be.

Personally, it pisses me off when I come across evil characters who come across like "Acolytes with a black hat." That sort of OOC bleed-through is counterproductive when it comes to roleplaying.

>Damn, CraftedD. You just 0wnz043d me all over the place. The
>speeding semi truck analogy seems to be perfect for AP's: I/we
>had a window where we could conceivably do something to you,
>and have some semblance of a fight. But eventually you were
>just way too much for us to deal with. At least with our
>regular numbers/class configuration.

I don't think CraftedD played Thos.

>So... wish we could have given you better fights (and wish we
>could have killed you, har). Damn, but you're a really, really
>good pker, and very good at minimizing your risks. I wish I
>could have followed Thos around and watched you. Not only to
>try to help me kill you, but I know I'd have learned tons.
>
>Good work with the next.

Nivek1Thu 29-Mar-07 05:30 PM
655 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#56868, "Correct."
In response to Reply #12

>
>I don't think CraftedD played Thos.
>

A2Thu 29-Mar-07 05:46 PM
371 posts
#56870, "The version of "evil" you describe"
In response to Reply #12

Is the generic played out version I see on almost every evil char. You can be honorable and sportsman like without being a goodie or a tea sipper. You can be evil, hold honor in high regard, but for different reasons than a goodie.

If I ever do another honorbound char, you can bet your ass it'll be evil. Don't be so narrow minded.

Esk (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 01:58 PM

#56909, "RE: The version of"
In response to Reply #17

Well its not like this is the first post of this sort. I'm not saying there's something wrong with being sporting, but in this case it comes across like "I would feel bad for you if I killed you this way, so I shouldn't."

If it was in your role to be that sort of evil, by all means. If it wasn't, that should be fine too. Waserax just seems to be berating evils for being um...evil.

AodhThu 29-Mar-07 07:40 PM
352 posts
#56875, "Nah"
In response to Reply #12

>Imperials shouldn't be sportsmen.

I'm betting that a creative player can find a way to maintain their Imperial and evil rp AND YET not relentlessly multikill (with greater numbers at times) less skilled players. Sure, I understand that's how the game goes sometimes. However, I know my point isn't totally beyond your understanding.

>Waserax's post comes
>across like he'd rather be sipping tea with them.

That's an exaggeration, I think. Also, nothing as blatantly sportsmanlike like this has come out in-game. He handles it IC very well without me ever getting the tea-sipping vibe. More a mutual respect thing, which I don't think is incompatible with an evil character.
>
>You want everyone to have some role to be gallant, sporting
>and focused on being impressive.

No I don't. And I didn't write that. I just don't want me and one Acolyte buddy to get summoned into bash/neuro ganks on the Eastern Road when we've allready been fairly killed earlier.

That's a very narrow
>definition of a character concept and by no means required.
>When I think of the typical traits I apply to the evil
>characters I play, the terms 'honor', 'fairness', 'integrity',
>'sportsmanship' NEVER enter the picture. Why? Because that's
>not something most evils should be. They're evil because
>they'll kick you while you're down and because the ends
>justify the means and because they're maniacal devious killers
>who enjoy making trophies out of your skulls.

Who's the one with a very narrow definition of a character concept now? A neutral evil (FOR EXAMPLE) would kick you while you're down, but are they necessarily maniacal devious killers? What does it benefit them? What's every evil character's motivation to be a mass-killer? Are they all simply mentally ill psychopaths? I mean, yeah, it SEEMS like great rp, but... uhh...

>
>So, why thrust some role onto him? And moreso, trash him for
>playing an EVIL character like an EVIL person would be.

There are good, varied, valid things to do besides go multikill weak players and let the Oaths sort 'em out: go get gold for donations, order your underlings to get gold for donations, argue with, force the Oath upon or kill all your "evil-but-really-super-cooperative" (black hat? my biggest peeve, personally) allies, go burn down a bunch of forests, force bards to sing and send missives about the Empire's greatness, yadda yadda yadda.

I play to get some pk action, too, but goddamn if it must be a total non-challenge if you're just bashing down (relative) newbies until everything goes perfectly and they stack commands and can't get their flee/c word off between bashes, you never walk: only teleport, almost never rolling out alone, etc. Pick on someone your own size and go fight Kanaev or something. Jeezus.
>
>Personally, it pisses me off when I come across evil
>characters who come across like "Acolytes with a black hat."
>That sort of OOC bleed-through is counterproductive when it
>comes to roleplaying.

Haven't met any of them...

>I don't think CraftedD played Thos.

Well, damn, I feel like a dip####.

Esk (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 02:26 PM

#56911, "Great. Here comes the Straw man argument."
In response to Reply #18

>>Imperials shouldn't be sportsmen.
>
>I'm betting that a creative player can find a way to maintain
>their Imperial and evil rp AND YET not relentlessly multikill
> with greater numbers at times) less skilled players. Sure, I
>understand that's how the game goes sometimes. However, I know
>my point isn't totally beyond your understanding.

Was Thos multikilling people relentlessly? I'm not inclined to think even a chaotic evil person would be entertained multikilling people over and over and over again. That being said, if you have enemies around, its not unreasonable to want to hunt them down and kill them. Don't invent things to argue about, the issue was over Thos not being "fair" and wanting to PK people outside of raids.

>>Waserax's post comes
>>across like he'd rather be sipping tea with them.
>
>That's an exaggeration, I think. Also, nothing as blatantly
>sportsmanlike like this has come out in-game. He handles it IC
>very well without me ever getting the tea-sipping vibe. More a
>mutual respect thing, which I don't think is incompatible with
>an evil character.

I find it fairly incompatible. These are your hated enemies, who want to hunt you down and wipe you off the face of Thera. Mercy and respect have their place, but so does ruthlessness and brutality.

>>
>>You want everyone to have some role to be gallant, sporting
>>and focused on being impressive.
>
>No I don't. And I didn't write that. I just don't want me and
>one Acolyte buddy to get summoned into bash/neuro ganks on the
>Eastern Road when we've allready been fairly killed earlier.

By who? If an enemy of mine shows up as a ghost, that doesn't exempt me from PK'ing him later. For all I know he could've mob died while retrieving 'Defiance'. And again, we're not talking about 'relentless multikilling'. Thos was never accused of that.

> That's a very narrow
>>definition of a character concept and by no means required.
>>When I think of the typical traits I apply to the
>evil
>>characters I play, the terms 'honor', 'fairness',
>'integrity',
>>'sportsmanship' NEVER enter the picture. Why? Because that's
>>not something most evils should be. They're evil because
>>they'll kick you while you're down and because the ends
>>justify the means and because they're maniacal devious
>killers
>>who enjoy making trophies out of your skulls.
>
>Who's the one with a very narrow definition of a character
>concept now? A neutral evil (FOR EXAMPLE) would kick you while
>you're down, but are they necessarily maniacal devious
>killers? What does it benefit them? What's every evil
>character's motivation to be a mass-killer? Are they all
>simply mentally ill psychopaths? I mean, yeah, it SEEMS like
>great rp, but... uhh...

I was listing off some traits. Not the entirety. A neutral evil most likely would kick you while you're down. They may not be maniacal, but they wouldn't likely feel regret or guilt. A chaotic evil may be indifferent to you one moment, then in boredom decide to pick you apart to see what's inside. I mean, these are *valid* evil roles. My point wasn't that you *can't* play an honorable evil, my point was that you *can* play a *dishonorable* evil and you shouldn't get whined at because of it.

>>
>>So, why thrust some role onto him? And moreso, trash him for
>>playing an EVIL character like an EVIL person would be.
>
>There are good, varied, valid things to do besides go
>multikill weak players and let the Oaths sort 'em out: go get
>gold for donations, order your underlings to get gold for
>donations, argue with, force the Oath upon or kill all your
>"evil-but-really-super-cooperative" (black hat? my biggest
>peeve, personally) allies, go burn down a bunch of forests,
>force bards to sing and send missives about the Empire's
>greatness, yadda yadda yadda.

See how you're exaggerating what he did? What you mean to say is, "Its fine for me to hunt you when we're strong...but...when we aren't, you should be off gathering gold or picking your ass somewhere instead of hunting me."

>
>I play to get some pk action, too, but goddamn if it must be a
>total non-challenge if you're just bashing down (relative)
>newbies until everything goes perfectly and they stack
>commands and can't get their flee/c word off between bashes,
>you never walk: only teleport, almost never rolling out alone,
>etc. Pick on someone your own size and go fight Kanaev or
>something. Jeezus.
>>

I didn't know your paladin was sphere honor. Pretty sure I saw you gang down some people too. Difference is, anti-paladins are the exact opposites of paladins. Read the academy description of anti-paladins. Additionally if I have 3 months of killing put into my unholy weapon, why the hell would I take any chances to die and lose it all? AP's have the most to lose barring liches from dying, you can't exactly expect them to be ballsy too. Blame the class design for that.

>>Personally, it pisses me off when I come across evil
>>characters who come across like "Acolytes with a black hat."
>>That sort of OOC bleed-through is counterproductive when it
>>comes to roleplaying.
>
>Haven't met any of them...

I died to a fire giant three months ago who guarded my corpse until I could come get my gear back and didn't loot anything. He then sent me some tells about good fight and all that jazz. It strikes me as blatantly OOC.

>>I don't think CraftedD played Thos.
>
>Well, damn, I feel like a dip####.

AodhFri 30-Mar-07 03:03 PM
352 posts
#56916, "RE: Great. Here comes the Straw man argument."
In response to Reply #26

>Was Thos multikilling people relentlessly? I'm not inclined to
>think even a chaotic evil person would be entertained
>multikilling people over and over and over again. That being
>said, if you have enemies around, its not unreasonable to want
>to hunt them down and kill them. Don't invent things to argue
>about, the issue was over Thos not being "fair" and wanting to
>PK people outside of raids.

Nah, he wasn't multikilling. I realize at the end of the day that fighting Thos alone was frustrating enough, and that when he came in numbers (as I often did, I know) there really wasn't much we could do.

>I find it fairly incompatible. These are your hated enemies,
>who want to hunt you down and wipe you off the face of Thera.
>Mercy and respect have their place, but so does ruthlessness
>and brutality.

Yeah, agreed. And we can argue 'to what point' and specifics forever. Guess you just need to suck it up if it's you vs. the council (or even just 2 members of it. They're dangerous enough) and hope Nexus will come help you. Or just don't come to defend vs. certain death. It's all really gray, you know.

>By who? If an enemy of mine shows up as a ghost, that doesn't
>exempt me from PK'ing him later. For all I know he could've
>mob died while retrieving 'Defiance'. And again, we're not
>talking about 'relentless multikilling'. Thos was never
>accused of that.

Not accusing him of multikilling, true. I'm just remembering a time where he and some friends were guarding the Eastern and Grove, making it impossible for us to get to the Vanquisher to retrieve. It does occur to me now that I should have learned the Underdark better. Oh well.

>I was listing off some traits. Not the entirety. A neutral
>evil most likely would kick you while you're down. They may
>not be maniacal, but they wouldn't likely feel regret or
>guilt. A chaotic evil may be indifferent to you one moment,
>then in boredom decide to pick you apart to see what's inside.
>I mean, these are *valid* evil roles. My point wasn't that you
>*can't* play an honorable evil, my point was that you *can*
>play a *dishonorable* evil and you shouldn't get whined at
>because of it.

Okay, fair enough. Conceded.

>See how you're exaggerating what he did? What you mean to say
>is, "Its fine for me to hunt you when we're
>strong...but...when we aren't, you should be off gathering
>gold or picking your ass somewhere instead of hunting me."

You got me. I still haven't figured out what to do vs a strong, wanded fire ap, besides word out.

>I didn't know your paladin was sphere honor. Pretty sure I saw
>you gang down some people too.

Yes, I did. Sure didn't kill many of them, though

>I died to a fire giant three months ago who guarded my corpse
>until I could come get my gear back and didn't loot anything.
>He then sent me some tells about good fight and all that jazz.
>It strikes me as blatantly OOC.

What if he'd just taunted you a bit then? Is it the speech or the courtesy of guarding/giving/not needing your stuff? And will you be willing to throw down with that giant again, and treat him with a good measure of respect if you win? And saying 'good fight' could definitely jibe with fire giants. Don't they just beat up on each other and prove who's strongest all day long down in Kiadanah? Maybe he was rp'ing respecting your showing and skills or something. I won't presume to know though.

Waserax (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 09:04 PM

#56883, "RE: I think I understand the spirit of Waserax' post:"
In response to Reply #12

>Imperials shouldn't be sportsmen.

This is the age old debate. In some sense, no evil character should ever be sportsmanlike in any way to a cabal enemy under any circumstances unless his role absolutely demands it. So he should not only fee free to multi-kill, he should feel compelled to multi-kill. He should not only feel free to full sac, he should feel compelled to full sac. Same for over-the-top ganging. Why? Because the goal is to destroy his enemies, and the best way to do that is to drive them to deletion or con death.

As a player, though, I realize that such behavior crosses a threshhold where it's no longer just evil in character behavior, it's also inconsiderate to the opposing players. Given a choice between playing an evil role that's only 99% "realistic" and being an asswipe to other players, I'll choose not to be an asswipe.

As for Waserax the character, there are a number of completely in-character role-related reasons why I wouldn't do what I described above. Chief among them is that I'd probably get unempowered for it, but also there's nothing in my role that says I'm the kind of guy who has a maniacal thirst for blood. Yes, I want the Empire to "be victorious" and crush all resistance. Yes, I want all cabal items to be in their rightful place (the Imperial Throne). The question is whether I must equate "crush the resistance" with "multi-kill and full-sac all non-Imperials".

To be fair, I never saw Thos full sac (or even full loot) anyone, or commit any egregious multi-killing. Basically all he wanted to do is set up a Waserax/Thos meat grinder and run as many people through it as possible, regardless of how many times they may have died to me and/or Thos in the past. That's not necessarily "bad role-play" on his part, but by the same token it isn't necessarily "bad role-play" for Waserax to not join in, or for me as a player to comment on it at an OOC level now that he's deleted.

Esk (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 02:29 PM

#56913, "The relevent bit..."
In response to Reply #19

I'm not going to argue straw man posts about people multikilling someone 9 times a session since that obviously never happened.

"To be fair, I never saw Thos full sac (or even full loot) anyone, or commit any egregious multi-killing. Basically all he wanted to do is set up a Waserax/Thos meat grinder and run as many people through it as possible, regardless of how many times they may have died to me and/or Thos in the past."

Exactly. He was an imperial anti-paladin who wanted to dominate. Woe upon woe, an imperial being imperialistic.

thos (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 04:57 PM

#56922, "RE: I think I understand the spirit of Waserax' post:"
In response to Reply #19

I'm kind of confused to the point you are trying to make. I think we probably grouped together about 3 times together in my life where it was just you and me. Would I want to group with someone who can summon/dispel and does significantly less damage than me? Of course. Would I want to kill my cabal enemies who try to gang me down every chance they get? Of course. Do I want to build a bigger axe? Sure.

Honestly, if anything, it's more unsportsmanlike to go and take the orb when no Fortress are on and sit on it, because when the one Fortress logs in he has a choice between certain death at centurions or avoiding PK altogether and exploring. Cabal raiding/defense is enjoyable when both sides are involved.

Anyways, we really didn't have much interaction at all. Not sure what you would have wanted from me. I was always impressed by the fact that you would die to people and that they would leave almost all your stuff, including not taking stuff that was MUCH better than what they were wearing. Always struck me as . . odd.

Waserax (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 11:20 PM

#56936, "RE: I think I understand the spirit of Waserax' post:"
In response to Reply #35

>I'm kind of confused to the point you are trying to make. I
>think we probably grouped together about 3 times together in
>my life where it was just you and me.

True, we didn't travel that much. Seemed like you asked me a couple of times and I declined, citing "other business". For the most part that wasn't a lie, but I also didn't want to sit on eastern road summoning ragers behind cents.

From a game-play perspective (and even role-play perspective) I can totally see why Thos would want Waserax along for the ride. For whatever reason, though, as a player I got a certain "vibe" from you (vague, I know) that made me not want to join in the fun. Clearly you ran a successful character, getting leader and amassing two fairly powerful weapons. My intent wasn't to crap on those accomplishments.

ValkenarFri 30-Mar-07 11:14 AM
1203 posts
#56905, "Sportsmanship"
In response to Reply #12

>When I think of the typical traits I apply to the evil
>characters I play, the terms 'honor', 'fairness', 'integrity',
>'sportsmanship' NEVER enter the picture.

Sportsmanship is for the players, not the characters. It shouldn't enter the minds of most evils, but you can play an evil character without being an a-hole to other players.

Substitute glory for honor and you have someone who wants to fight alone. You don't want other people in there stealing your credit.

Substitute paranoia for fairness and you have someone who doesn't want to gang because he doesn't trust the others.

Substitute condescension for integrity and you have someone who won't lower themselves to wear the same equipment that their enemies have worn.

It's very easy to find reasons for your evil character to avoid behavior that is unsportsmanlike ooc. The only reason to gang, full sac and general act like an a-hole is because the player wants to. I say let's go ahead and call a rat a rat. Nothing wrong with a little social stigma against being a prick.

Esk (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 02:35 PM

#56915, "How was Thos a prick?"
In response to Reply #24

See Waserax's post. He never full looted/sac'd, he never multikilled, etc.

He's a prick because he wanted to PK some people? What the #### is wrong with you people?

ValkenarFri 30-Mar-07 03:45 PM
1203 posts
#56917, "RE: How was Thos a prick?"
In response to Reply #29
Edited on Fri 30-Mar-07 03:45 PM

>See Waserax's post. He never full looted/sac'd, he never
>multikilled, etc.
>
>He's a prick because he wanted to PK some people? What the
>#### is wrong with you people?

I didn't say Thos was a prick. I never had a bad experience with him. The point was that if someone *is* a prick, then there's nothing wrong with calling them on it, even if what they do is within the rules.

Esk (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 04:21 PM

#56919, "Who said there was? n/t"
In response to Reply #31

n/t

Quixotic_LZ (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 03:45 PM

#56918, "I don't think people are tearing apart Thos in this pos..."
In response to Reply #29

I think the criticism is not so much about Thos as it is that the AP class allows for a character to become something like an adult Urlacher playing in a Pop Warner league.

Good roleplay or not, it really isn't necessary to have the whole Bears defense there to assist him.

QuixoticThu 29-Mar-07 04:34 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
837 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#56866, "At what point does character killing become player kill..."
In response to Reply #10

Waserax's post suggests that for he and Thos to go hunting was no longer competition. If people don't feel they can compete, they won't play with you. If they don't play with you, then you have to play with yourself.

Waserax apparently doesn't want to play with himself.

Waserax (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 05:35 PM

#56869, "RE: I get confused by these comments."
In response to Reply #9

I think it's the sheer "ridiculosity" of summon/bash/dispel given you and Hunsobo's damage output that made (makes) me hesitant to employ it at every possible opportunity. Sometimes you'd log on and the only fort guy would be someone who'd already died like 3-4 times in the past day or so to Empire alone. I can understand why Thos (the character) might want to gang that guy down for a charge or two, but what's Waserax's motivation? Especially if it's someone you could probably kill on your own without my help? Dude's not likely to have any gear I want. If the point is to get you charges then I wouldn't get any PK credit. If we're successful and you actually get charges, then I just succeeded in powering up the leader of a competing Sect.

Now if it's a new guy who just hit hero range and whom I've never fought before, sure, maybe I go along for the ride and take him down once just for good measure. Or if it's someone who really gets on my nerves. Or someone against whom I have little chance on my own (read: Kanaev). Or someone who's ganged me before. But if it's random-fort-paladin-who-already-dies-alot...mabye I cut that guy some slack.

Eulinda (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 09:10 AM

#56841, "RE: (del) thos"
In response to Reply #0

Don't complain about not getting good fights when you run and avoid them for all of your life until at the very end when you think you are set up enough and prepare and then send a tell saying "Ok NOW let's fight, right now!". Smacks a bit of being hypocritical.

Halistanis (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 10:14 AM

#56843, "I concur"
In response to Reply #3

If you wish a good fight, give the opponent at least SLIGHTEST chance. If you don't want to take any risks, don't expect for one. Period.

Nice work building the axe though. And nice escapes. At the end you was one of the few who scared me a bit. Well done with that.

Thos (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 11:45 AM

#56847, "RE: I concur"
In response to Reply #4

I wasn't complaining that I could never get any good fights. It's just that there wasn't much incentive to fight them when there were 8 other people I could roll 100%. Eulinda/Vhloughvang I could never beat. That's just all there was to it. I really didn't have many "even" matchups I noticed. Also, Halistanis, you hunted me so many times when I was sub 500 HP and no protections, but you messed them all up by being a total #### and not coming in to finish the job. I took chances versus weaker players and none versus good players, so take it as a compliment.

KarelThu 29-Mar-07 01:38 PM
569 posts
#56851, "RE: I concur"
In response to Reply #5

Uh, what sort of chance is there with weaker players? Insta-kill is about it.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

Palan (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 10:55 PM

#56888, "RE: I concur"
In response to Reply #5

I don't think there is any need to explain your actions. Anyone who doesn't play an AP this way will simply never build up an axe. Can you picture shamanman ever having an axe with more than 5 charges? From the sounds of it, you played Thos perfectly.

laxmantor (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 09:09 AM

#56902, "have you ever heard of cabdru, maybe kharglun, or even ..."
In response to Reply #20

only less talented anti-paladin players like you and thos need permas and to noobie pick to build axes, other players can hold their own with noobs and vets alike and get renown and power.

Palan (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 09:34 AM

#56904, "I concede. You win."
In response to Reply #22

I could argue the point, but you're clearly an idiot so I won't bother.

Esk (Guest)Fri 30-Mar-07 02:33 PM

#56914, "RE: have you ever heard of cabdru, maybe kharglun, or e..."
In response to Reply #22

>only less talented anti-paladin players like you and thos
>need permas and to noobie pick to build axes, other players
>can hold their own with noobs and vets alike and get renown
>and power.

What perma? Who mentioned a perma?

Cabdru was most certainly cautious, right up until he got so bored and powerful that he was able to take on 'ballsy risks' while still being relatively safe.

He carried around barrier at 36. Anyone who doesn't that certainly can be said to be at least somewhat "cautious".

EVERY AP who lives long enough to be very strong is cautious.

Its not Thos' fault Fortress players fight like crap.

laxminator (Guest)Sat 31-Mar-07 09:37 AM

#56943, "you obviously are not up to date on your cf history"
In response to Reply #28

and I would not describe the way cabdru played as catious. Even with abs he fought so many huge ganks and made so many close escapes it was redic.

ohh yeah palan and a shifter were a perma, of course back then permas were a different story but still its weak.

Esk (Guest)Mon 02-Apr-07 09:55 AM

#56977, "I was around with Cabdru when he was in his lower ranks..."
In response to Reply #38

And he was definately cautious.

When you have like 3000 hp and 150 damroll, what you can get away with while still being cautious is somewhat different.

Anyway, I digress...

DaevrynMon 02-Apr-07 12:57 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#56979, "Really?"
In response to Reply #40

I had no idea I'd run with you down there.

Cautious is always in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. There's definitely no level in which I wasn't trying solo to jump on groups of three or even people I knew to be tough fights in ones and twos. What I didn't do is get myself killed jumping on a group of three Battle berserkers solo, which is mostly how my last few A-P attempts went down in flames.

It's really interesting to me how Unholy Blessing balances out, in that if you play very, very conservative, your chance of losing your weapon is low, but so are your chances of accumulating charges quickly.

For what it's worth, some of the logs that start from 2-3k hp are a lot closer than they may appear, for reasons that I can't discuss/confirm/deny, but I'm surprised haven't been deduced by someone from the logs I posted. (Or maybe some people have but aren't talking, who knows.) But, yeah, the whole game looks really different when you have those titanic stats in play and it doesn't compare well to anything else.

To bring this back to Thos, since this is his thread...

The only thing that disappointed me about his style of play in terms of cautious or incautious is the way he'd roll right after dying and seeing a significant loot. It seemed like most of the times I saw, he'd try to round up some people to re-equip him with super-limited gear, and that if he couldn't get a group together for that, he'd just quit and try again later. I totally understand being cautious and protective of a tough set of gear / weapon when you have it together, but man, some of the best times I've ever had playing the A-P class have been, okay, I died and got full looted, let me get a cruel battle axe and orcish shield and see who I can kill with it. Thos clearly had an excellent knowledge of high end areas and gear, but I would have loved to see what he could accomplish without that stuff, in the situations in which he had little or nothing to lose.

IsildurMon 02-Apr-07 01:12 PM
5969 posts
#56980, "RE: Really?"
In response to Reply #41

>I had no idea I'd run with you down there.

I actually ranked with you at one point as well. Some assassin I was playing. We were in the ruins of the deep with...a healer or bard I think. My only impression was that you seemed sort of...bored, maybe. Like you had two windows open and were reading CNN while we killed spirits. Which is totally understandable- ranking isn't the most scintillating thing in the world.

Esk (Guest)Mon 02-Apr-07 09:44 PM

#56994, "RE: Really?"
In response to Reply #41

I was on the opposite side of the spectrum. I did watch a few fights of yours though. I also ganged down Graatch with you once, heh.

What I didn't do is get myself killed jumping on a group of three Battle berserkers solo, which is mostly how my last few A-P attempts went down in flames.

That's the relevant bit. You know as well as I do you can be cautious and still jump groups of three.

Anyway, my point wasn't that you were a coward, it was that you weren't a total idiot, which is what people seem to think Thos should've been.

Thos (Guest)Tue 03-Apr-07 10:25 PM

#57020, "RE: Really?"
In response to Reply #41

If you get a chance, can you reply to the email I sent you about a weekish back? Would be awesome, thanks.

incognitoSat 31-Mar-07 05:04 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#56939, "Nep's ap?"
In response to Reply #20

I don't remember him doing much ganging.

Guy (Guest)Sat 31-Mar-07 04:30 PM

#56948, "No, he picked on newbs, he picked on vets, anyone that ..."
In response to Reply #37

asdf

Abernytee (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 08:00 AM

#56839, "Nicely done tongers"
In response to Reply #0

I enjoy our few fights when I played Hrok and was pleased to see you make it to hero even if it is an easier ride for Imperial APs to get there with all the other sects to help you. I heard about what happened on your explore when you looked where you shouldn't have and really felt for you.

All the best for the next.

-----Abernytee

MoridinThu 29-Mar-07 01:05 PM
77 posts
#56848, "You're not referring to the Tong that played Sasou are ..."
In response to Reply #2

Xinrithil (Guest)Thu 29-Mar-07 07:32 AM

#56837, "RE: (del) thos"
In response to Reply #0

It is a shame I couldn't give you better fights, but if you were the least bit prepared there was little I could do to you. I skulked in the weeds for the perfect opportunity to unleash the fury of my pellet gun, and then Thos the Panzer rumbles in.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #56835 Previous topic | Next topic