Subject: "(CON) Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #4957
Show all folders

Death_AngelWed 27-Feb-02 11:24 PM
Member since 11th May 2024
16840 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4957, "(CON) Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of the Rift"

Wed Feb 27 23:22:15 2002

8 o''clock PM, Day of Freedom, 25th of the Month of the Ancient Darkness on the Theran calendar Jraln perished, never to return.

Race:gnome
Class:shapeshifter
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:NEXUS, Nexus, Seekers of Balance
Hours:294
PK Ratio:33% (closer to 100% is better)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of the Ri..., NastyPope, 28-Feb-02 12:28 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..., Nydeikon (Guest), 28-Feb-02 01:20 AM, #2
     Reply RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..., Ahmed (Guest), 28-Feb-02 02:46 AM, #3
     Reply RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..., Theerkla, 28-Feb-02 06:34 AM, #4
     Reply RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..., Dullameh, 28-Feb-02 11:13 AM, #5
     Reply RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..., Vahlen, 28-Feb-02 02:28 PM, #6
     Reply RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..., NastyPope, 28-Feb-02 03:34 PM, #7
          Reply RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..., Divox, 28-Feb-02 06:11 PM, #8
     Reply RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..., Fristapholin (Guest), 28-Feb-02 06:35 PM, #9
     Reply RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..., Thalongrim (Guest), 01-Mar-02 02:13 AM, #10
     Reply hehe, con quests, Marlek (Guest), 01-Mar-02 07:38 AM, #11
     Reply RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..., Lorak, 05-Mar-02 12:47 PM, #12

NastyPopeThu 28-Feb-02 12:28 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4958, "Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of the Ri..."
In response to Reply #0

Wow, what a ride, there is so much I experienced with this character its hard to know where to begin. My first character in the Nexus was Faoin. I had a great time with him but warriors had just gotten old and I'd never played a mage beyond 20th rank before. So when I rage deleted faoin, I knew I wanted a mage, and I wanted to try another Seeker. I thought a good mage to start with was Shapeshifter and I was right, it was relatively easy to play, allowed me a bit of exploring, and was just plain fun.

Mostly I made another Seeker because the roleplay aspect of the Nexus is so strong, much much stronger than virtually any other cabal ive been in. I had a villager under loborguz and hated it, the purely one dimensional rp I found there sicked me compared to the days of old.

In the Nexus, the strong and very detailed philosophy of the Rift gave me great room to try some theoretical roleplay. Mainly my 'works' which was a group of philisophical scrolls I wrote concerning planar theory and the possibility of a Fifth pillar. I love writing those papers, it was such a great outlet to do something wholy creative and not worry about pk. Being that this was my first above 20 rank mage, not to mention a roleplay character rather than a pk character, I had a really low pk ratio as you can see above which was mostly lowererd against scions, against the villagers I had a fairly decent kill ratio, closer to e, but that didnt really matter to me. It felt like the days in the Knights when I had Aan, my redeemed duergar. I didnt really care how well he fought either and it made the experience so much richer. I didnt bother searching for a/b/s wands or that sort. I may in the future if I do another mage, but for now, it was the strong interactions I had that made this truly a great experience.

I died in the Inferno, actually the entrance, heh, man ram sucks on its own, trying to complete a vitality quest which I wasnt whole heartedy wanting to complete. It would have been nice to have continued, and maybe even immorted, as I had alot of ideas for astral/etheral plane areas. Perhaps the next one....

As for regrets, and there always are with every character i suppose, It would have been nice to live to see my works in the Lyceum, which I believe will be added. That feels great to make a difference that gets permanently noted, even if minutely. a name on a pillar, etc, I had two more works in progress but the damn war broke out, and my roleplay didnt allow me to work on my scrolls when the Link was taken, so it led to a lot of quick deaths. Alot of those writings were to prove a Fifth Pillar, which I think I did quite well on, hence the title, but unfortunately I doubt any new pillar will ever be added, no matter how sound the theory behind it, unless its an imm who determines its where the cabal should go.

I also probably would have liked to have been an Elder, I really enjoyed teaching new seekers and applicants about the Pillars, getting them to learn and think. Especially those with no clue as to the philosophy. Many of those talks/interviews went to two hours or more. I wasnt easy on who i talked to, but I was confident they were well prepared.

As for my death, as my con went down, I realized I had never seen anyone rp their con loss. I am sure people have, just that i've never seen it and thought that a wasting disease that got worse as my vitality went down would spice things up. I based it on 'experiments' that went awry, causing me to degenerate slowly. It seemed to help get some roleplaying out of those around me, which I am always trying to encourage. Roleplaying really is the heart of CF, and its a shame more people dont realize that or dont care.

Goodbyes,
NEXUS:
Vahlen, you live up to your title. very Stoic. When you did interact with us it was great. I also assume you used the mobs about the Rift alot as well as the Emissary. I enjoyed it all immensely, thank you.

Divox: I tried not to give myself away in the interview, saying I learned what I knew of the Nexus by spying on you during your interviews, seemed to work, though I blew through the interview waaaay to fast. Still, it was enjoyable as all my interactions with you have been. You deserved to immort in many ways, keep up the excellent work.

Nydeikon: Whil, you were an excellent ingame friend and your roleplaying is almost always top notch. You are a very good leader and I hope we get our own 'hall of heros' like many other cabals do, you deserve your name up there. I have to say I was a little miffed that you wanted me to continue physical conflicts even though I was 5 deaths away from full con loss. I tried to explain to you I needed to go lightly but when you were adamant I fight, I did, as my character would not disobey his leaders under any circumstances, including his 'Great Death'. It was fun to watch you progress and evolve as leader, considering I , as faoin, taught you the ways of the Rift.

Lorak: You also have done an outstanding job, poor Talno wanted it bad, but you got it and did a great job. I have to say im wondering where you have been lately though, I hope its not because of the war.

Sporial: Amazing job that you do. A bit greedy for items at times, but you give the Rift a huge boost when you are on as you are a very competent healer and your knowledge of the game is huge. You are stalwart with your rp beliefs and it shows in a very positive way. Thanks for helping me hero.

Fristapholin: sorry bout getting the boot, I hope you willt ry to get back in, you are quite talented and it was sad to see you go.

Thalongrim: You were a hoot, Lord of the Pool, just stop being so forgetful.

Janroth: Damn good shifter, you know how to play them, and Jraln looked up to you.

Theerkla, Talno, Monty, Mholako, amongst a host of other old timers, It was great fun, unfortunately I knew you more from Faoin than Jraln so my interactions with you were limited in this incarnation.

For the rest of the Seekers, if you show up despite this hard war, good, if you are one of the ones who is hiding til its over, do everyone a favor and delete. There is nothing worse than cowards in a cabal that has to fight all the time.

Everyone Else:
Tilaen, you were a fun ally and a viscious enemy, Too bad we had to war, you made a fun friend to interact with, as an enemy, you are total jerkoff btw, I enjoyed the inferno trips

Dullameh, congrats on the Lich, you have a really solid roleplay and are fun to interract with, but lay off the multikilling and desecrating every corpse you find, especially ones you didnt kill, thats just weak. Sorry, but it isnt inspiring to see a Lich sucking up corpses form other peoples kills. Still, I'm sure you will do a great job.

Ahmed, also a good job, I liked that you had a sense of honor and integrity when the rest of the scions turned into pricks.

Penz, good fights, you really could have made something special of your roleplay if you had gone with it.

Blasko, really good roleplay, not sure what became of you but it was good to see someone with integrity of the old ragers. having played many many old school ragers it was nice to see that again, which leads me to ..

Marlek, you also exude that old school rager feel, which blows the current state of villagers away. I just cant help but think of the villagers as running around with their thumbs up their asses, JUST like empire used to be. I also appreciated your willingness to sit and talk with me, that shows class, which is so severely lacking in most these days, and not just villagers.

Tertalith, had fun on the inferno trips with you, thanks.

Arvam, thanks a tons for being patient with me, I know im a pesky bugger. =) I enjoyed my time at the Inn.

Johan, thanks for the help at the end, I appreciate it. I'm glad you immorted.

Aliera, you were always fun to group/raid/retrieve with, thanks for all the hugs

There are so many more people, some I may have forgotten but I shall add you as I remember. To everyone I interacted with, who made real attempts to interact with integrity and a genuine sense of RP, thank you, I enjoyed every minute of my ass kicking.

--Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of the Rift, The Spicy Radish.

Nydeikon (Guest)Thu 28-Feb-02 01:20 AM

#4969, "RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..."
In response to Reply #1

Damnit, I was really hoping that I wouldn't see this...*sigh* What can I say? Thanks for all the fun, you did a hell of a job, with both characters. I was always wondering which seeker was Faoin, cause I knew you'd be back after the deletion. As for the ordering you to fight thing, I really never thought I pushed it to hard, actually I always thought you were just that hardcore that you would run off and attack and seemed to say "screw the con". Anyways, I'm sorry for the miscommunication, either way your character gave ALOT to the Rift and you will continue to in the future, through your works. Very good job, very solid, and thank you again for everything, I really can't say enough good things about you.

That Whil dude.

Ahmed (Guest)Thu 28-Feb-02 02:46 AM

#4968, "RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..."
In response to Reply #1

Well done man, seemed like a pretty stand up guy all round. Good luck with the next.

P.S. Took your advice, it is refreshing

TheerklaThu 28-Feb-02 06:34 AM
1055 posts
#4967, "RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..."
In response to Reply #1

Alas the spicy radish has gone. Anyways you were one of the many I just couldn't overlap playing times with that I would've liked to get to know better.

You definitely put in the extra effort to stand out as a seeker, and I'm glad it was rewarding for you. Luck on the next and all.

DullamehThu 28-Feb-02 11:13 AM
11 posts
#4966, "RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..."
In response to Reply #1

Great job on your character. You also had great, solid RP, and I enjoyed interacting with you greatly. I also had a lot of respect for you, being one of the few to really stick it out in tough times. Well done.

I really hate fighting a lot of the nexites because I interact with them so often and was on friendly terms with them before. As for the time that I multikilled you, I swear it was an accident... I genuinely felt bad about it afterward, especially since I knew that you were close to con death. I really wish that we were able to interact/explore/hunt/etc more before the war started.

As an aside, I don't think that there ever was a lich who didn't try and 'desecrate' every corpse that they could get their hands on (especially early on) and if there was, then... well, I guess my point goes out the window.

Good luck on your next character, not that you'll need it.

VahlenThu 28-Feb-02 02:28 PM
2 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4963, "RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..."
In response to Reply #1

A good job I must say with taking the rp idea of the scholar (which I've tried to get established a bit more in Nexus) and running with it. You did a good job with doing IC research and coming up with reasons as to the why's and why nots of things. As to will it ever be a "pillar" well..perhaps but thats really up to the nexus memebers of the time. There is no set rules of "pillars", as the four we current talk about are even up for question and discussion. Somewhere along the lines people started taking these suggestions as "possible" forces as law. *shrug*

As I told you ic, yes there will be a lirbrary eventually (along with a few rooms to expand the Rift into a more well defined cabal to match its philosohpy) but with having another area I'm working on it will have to wait till its finished. But as well I did tell you (and other seekers as well) that if they came up with scrolls and works that made sence, that I would put them there. So if you still have all the post somewhere, you can email me them (and the unfinished works) and I'll see what I can do when it rolls around.

ps: When you said those who do not log in because of the war should delete because they are worthless....dont worry about it because if they show up after, they wont be nexus anymore anyway.

NastyPopeThu 28-Feb-02 03:34 PM
1 posts
#4964, "RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..."
In response to Reply #6

You can read my scrolls at
http://www.quicktel.com/users/archamian/metaphysical.txt
http://www.quicktel.com/users/archamian/meta-life-death.txt

These are the same as I submitted to the Lyceum. I'll email you
the other works when I get them finished.

You made mention of the Pillars not being set in stone, but from
my very first experiences with the Nexus that is exactly how they
are viewed. From my interview with Divox to even speaking with you
for a short time, all conceptions and even most analogies tend to
view the pillars as absolutes. When prospective seekers are spoken
with they are then taught those pillars are absolutes with more pillars being possibilities. If that is not how you view them, perhaps you should intervene and set the Seekers on the right course.

DivoxThu 28-Feb-02 06:11 PM
6 posts
#4965, "RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..."
In response to Reply #7

>From my interview with Divox to even speaking with you
for a short time, all conceptions and even most analogies tend to
view the pillars as absolutes. When prospective seekers are spoken
with they are then taught those pillars are absolutes with more pillars being possibilities. If that is not how you view them, perhaps you should intervene and set the Seekers on the right course.

Well, sorry your second time around was not as interesting with me the first time around. As for the pillars discussions and it being set in stone? Was partially my fault and at the same time many Seekers started to consider it that way as well. Sort of made interviews boring towards the end (which is probably why your interview was shorter then your first).

As an Imm, I do try to leave the door open a bit more for interpretation sake. The early days when the ideas were being fleshed out was much more fun since only a handful knew about the change so these applicants came up with interesting ideas. You did well as Jraln but I loved your character as Faoin. You did well with both characters but for some reason I enjoyed Faoin a little bit more.

Divox

Fristapholin (Guest)Thu 28-Feb-02 06:35 PM

#4962, "RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..."
In response to Reply #1

Well another of the better members has passed away
it seems. I will admit, at first I did not care for
Jraln's attitude within the guild, specially when I
was trying to give him advice. But somehow you grew
on me. For what you lacked in PK'ing ability, you
MORE then made up for in RP, and its something I
truely enjoy. I just wish we'd have had more time
to interact instead of always retrieving the head.
As for the nexus, I will not return as Fristapholin
to them. I have trouble with the certain members of
the leadership and I know I can not let it pass. Its
better for me to do my own thing. Plus, there is just
way to many mages in the rift, not nearly enough fighters
to bond with so defending the link is sorta useless in
my mind. And congratulations if this was your first
mage, you did quiet well. Now you just need to learn to
use B/S/A/IS/SS

Thalongrim (Guest)Fri 01-Mar-02 02:13 AM

#4961, "RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..."
In response to Reply #1

Well well... hrm. That's a disappointment. I was hoping you could do eventually the dual scholars of the Rift role with me. I've got alot of hidden secrets about Thally, and you'll have to stick around and keep reading to find them out. I liked Jraln, you taught me alot. Maybe we'll get to talk sometime. Have fun and all.

ALL FAREWELLS FROM THALLY, LORD OF THE POOL!!!!!!!

Thalongrim

Marlek (Guest)Fri 01-Mar-02 07:38 AM

#4960, "hehe, con quests"
In response to Reply #1

Dam real pitty to see you go, I turned away from play my mad 10 hours days spread out over 20 hours so I could interact/pk with all the players. Im happy that I came across as being a old school rager, I was striving hard to bring that out. Part of that was infact also sitting back and talking even though we were enemies. Hope to definatly cross your path again soon, You were one of my more favorite enemies

LorakTue 05-Mar-02 12:47 PM
0 posts
#4959, "RE: Jraln the Seeker of the Astral Plane, Scholar of th..."
In response to Reply #1

Well damn. Another one that's gone when I get back. Sad to see you go. Things were fun with you around. Nah I wasn't gone because of the war. Went on a short vacation then I got back and got on then my sister royally messes up our harddrive....so that had to get fixed then got back on and have to re-download everything and my sucky luck I got a virus from it. But I'm back now and everything is good. Well like all the other Seekers nice Char. Very impressive RP...as you said RP is the heart of Carrion. You were good at it. Keep it up.Overall you did pretty good for the Nexus. Your theories and talks with the young ones were exactly what the Rift was needing. We had the power to do what we wanted to. The power the Nexus potentially has could tear apart nearly any other Cabal. The Role Play the Nexus had sucked. As a Cabal the role play I think is wonderful. But very few RP'd like you or Whil(habbit). Nice work and glad you decided to create a mage for the Rift. Try a Arcane in the Rift....it's a bitch but fun as hell and never a dull moment...(except trying to re-gear while warring with two of the stronger cabals and gettin beat up runnin around naked) Anyways nice work and hope you do it again. Good luck and See you in the Fields.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #4957 Previous topic | Next topic