Subject: "(RAGE DELETE) [None] Ythoros the Planewalker" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #48300
Show all folders

Death_AngelTue 23-May-06 11:04 PM
Member since 24th Sep 2024
17179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48300, "(RAGE DELETE) [None] Ythoros the Planewalker"

Tue May 23 23:00:22 2006

At 1 o'clock PM, Day of the Sun, 27th of the Month of the Grand Struggle
on the Theran calendar Ythoros perished, never to return.

Race:elf
Class:conjurer
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:None, None
Hours:224

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Thanks for whoever payed my pbf., Eclipse (Anonymous), 24-May-06 08:36 PM, #4
Reply RE: Ythoros, Valguarnera, 25-May-06 09:25 AM, #11
     Reply Comments, Eclipse (Anonymous), 25-May-06 05:43 PM, #12
     Reply RE: Comments, Farigno, 27-May-06 02:35 PM, #19
     Reply RE: Ythoros, vegalicous (Guest), 27-May-06 02:54 AM, #14
          Reply Not sure but I'll pitch in for one too n/t, Guy (Guest), 27-May-06 03:23 AM, #15
               Reply It should be reversible to say "I blame Valg" on the ot..., le dude (Guest), 27-May-06 09:30 AM, #16
                    Reply I want one of those even more!, vegalicous (Guest), 27-May-06 10:01 AM, #17
Reply Woe is the player of an elf conjurer. A long-winded pos..., Eclipse (Anonymous), 24-May-06 08:25 PM, #2
Reply RE: Woe is the player of an elf conjurer. A long-winded..., Nreisshe (Guest), 24-May-06 09:06 PM, #5
Reply You are pretty much dead on with your comments also., Eclipse (Anonymous), 24-May-06 09:38 PM, #6
     Reply RE: You are pretty much dead on with your comments also..., Nreisshe (Guest), 24-May-06 09:54 PM, #7
Reply RE: Woe is the player of an elf conjurer. A long-winded..., nepenthe, 24-May-06 10:23 PM, #8
     Reply RE: Woe is the player of an elf conjurer. A long-winded..., Yhorian (Guest), 25-May-06 05:07 AM, #9
     Reply RE: Woe is the player of an elf conjurer. A long-winded..., Old Player (Guest), 25-May-06 08:12 AM, #10
     Reply Thanks for the feedback., Eclipse (Anonymous), 25-May-06 05:59 PM, #13
          Reply Scrying, Daurwyn_b (Guest), 27-May-06 11:42 AM, #18
Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [None] Ythoros the Planewalker, Dartelius (Guest), 24-May-06 10:45 AM, #1
     Reply Was some good rp on your part., Eclipse (Anonymous), 24-May-06 08:31 PM, #3

Eclipse (inactive user)Wed 24-May-06 08:36 PM
Charter member
#48311, "Thanks for whoever payed my pbf."
In response to Reply #0

And to Qaledus -

"Mon May 15 21:09:07 2006 by 'Qaledus' at level 51 (207 hrs):
Got my priest to play messenger and ask me about Kaubris. Like 100 gold is an offer."

Heh. I offered 500 gold just to talk about it, the greedy little snit was trying to skim

As far as the other comments, pretty spot on from you imms. Nreisshe has been hunting ranking areas for my last three characters and never leaving the woods even (from what I saw) to retrieve. You think thats great rp, I think its chicken####. Anyways, opinions, assholes, you know the routine. See you in the fields?

ValguarneraThu 25-May-06 09:25 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48322, "RE: Ythoros"
In response to Reply #4

I'm not going to put much stock in RP evaluations from someone who could not remain IC for more than 10 minutes. (Let alone criticizing Nreisshe for being a Nightreaver who spends a lot of time in the wilderness.) The difference between your characters and your forum persona(e) doesn't seem apparent in the slightest, however. It might benefit you to play characters very different from that as an exercise, because I didn't watch Ythoros much (a couple times after complaints, or indirectly while watching someone else), but damn did he go OOC every single time, and always in an angry way.

This goes for your (IMO, bizarre) evaluation of the conjurer class as well: Walk the walk, then talk the talk. There's been any number of successful good-aligned conjurers since the last time they saw significant changes. Your thorough lack of success with Ythoros had little to do with the class, and everything to do with you trying to hammer square pegs into round holes. Good-aligned conjurers skew towards low-kill-low-death a little, similar to paladins, healers, and other defensive options. That doesn't make them broken.

Useful: Identify strengths and weaknesses. Exploit strengths, cover weaknesses.
Not useful: Claim all weaknesses are design flaws, "lazy coding", or "cheap". Take strengths for granted and omit from discussion.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Eclipse (inactive user)Thu 25-May-06 05:43 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #11

"I'm not going to put much stock in RP evaluations from someone who could not remain IC for more than 10 minutes. "

Whose RP did I criticize? I posted the log of an imm going OOC because of my prays, and me staying IC, what more examples do you need that I wasn't always a raving asshole (though I was at least once, I freely admit).

"(Let alone criticizing Nreisshe for being a Nightreaver who spends a lot of time in the wilderness.) "

Shrug, we disagree here. To me, a ranger who never (key word being never) leaves the woods is akin to a niche-sitting pkiller. Just my thoughts, and certainly not the authority.

"The difference between your characters and your forum persona(e) doesn't seem apparent in the slightest, however."

You know, Ill admit to that. My last three heros and last four in total characters have had no real Rp to make them more then me. Ill freely admit it. Then again, none have been caballed/empowered or even seeking immortal attention at all. They've been loners who wanted nothing to do with the majority of CF.

"It might benefit you to play characters very different from that as an exercise, because I didn't watch Ythoros much (a couple times after complaints, or indirectly while watching someone else), but damn did he go OOC every single time, and always in an angry way."

If you only watched me after someone complained (and honestly, the only time I recall was with Nreisshe) of course my RP wasn't good. It was the whole reason someone complained? But I will agree, I do need to play a character with some more RP. It's not that I never have, I just haven't had the taste for it for a variety of reasons lately. Does my lack of RP with my characters damn my opinions to being patently untrue? I don't think so.

"This goes for your (IMO, bizarre) evaluation of the conjurer class as well:"

Way to avoid the actual points with a broad sweeping generalization. The last elf conjurer who even heroed was more then a year ago. Ask yourself how many elf warriors have heroed since then (I use elf warriors because they have a lower survivability rate then an elf conjurer) and then maybe you may realize why a class like warrior appeals 1000 times more then a conjurer to most of your players. It has more to do then simple replayability.

"Walk the walk, then talk the talk. "

I thought I just did hero a goodie conjurer with no perma and few IC allies? What does walk the walk mean, that I need to kill more people then Attila the Hun for you heavenly folk to listen? We both know that isn't true, as I recall you all telling Jinroh he was wrong about berserker villagers about a month or two after he deleted a battle imm!

"There's been any number of successful good-aligned conjurers since the last time they saw significant changes."

Name the last FEARED goodie conjurer, and I will shut up. My point is they are unbalanced towards survivability and not balanced enough towards deadliness. Evil conjurers don't have this problem.

"Your thorough lack of success with Ythoros had little to do with the class, and everything to do with you trying to hammer square pegs into round holes. "

You know, you are welcome to point me to this uber deadly elf conjurer that had awesome RP for me to reference. Otherwise you are hurling about ill-concealed or thinly veiled insults. As far as what I wanted the character to do, I was a success.

"Good-aligned conjurers skew towards low-kill-low-death a little, similar to paladins, healers, and other defensive options"

A little? Name a goodie conjurer who racked up more then 200 kills. Name one. ONE. The difference between the classes you defined and a goodie conjurer involve empowerment. Conjurers don't. I will be self-critical here and say part of this issue is my belief that I was playing a character who could rack up some kills if needed. I was wrong in that I thought they were not as defensive as they wound up being. To me, I'll take duo over an archon for pk survivability every day.

"That doesn't make them broken."

I'll go out on a limb here and say they are probably one of the least heroed classes out there. You may not believe them broken. However they aren't a quality class like warriors, or any other class that has had major balancing issues resolved.

"Useful: Identify strengths and weaknesses."

I'll bite. Strengths - high survivability and can stand in with a stupid AI mob for about 45 hours with an archon. Don't need anyone else to level/gear gather after 35th level. Which was my whole point of playing one, and is one of the few aspects I was 100% satisfied with.

Weaknesses : Insane conjuring time, insane reliance on stupid AI mobs, insane reliance on wands if not using an archon. Insane amount of problems if you get caught without servitors. The list goes on.

To me, the strengths are far fewer then weaknesses.

"Not useful: Claim all weaknesses are design flaws, "lazy coding", or "cheap". Take strengths for granted and omit from discussion."

Now you are just being argumentative. The truth is I did not claim all weaknesses were design flaws. I said there were design flaws with the class. I also said the certain part (archons and damage redux) was lazy coding, not all of the weaknesses. Don't put words in my mouth, everyone knows my foot is there I certainly didn't take strengths for granted. Read the first line of my thread. Also, the cheap part was actually a strength of the class. Am I confused or are you just trying to generalize again? Funny you should point at me and say 'bad' for something you believe is the same thing. Not only that, but I offered suggestions on how to make them better. That isn't helpful? What is helpful then, that I blow you while I offer suggestions? Come on man.

CF does about 90% of things awesomely. If I complain overmuch about the 10% I believe is 'off', it isn't just to be critical, it is because I want the rest of the mud to be as kick ass as the good parts. Take that for what you will.

FarignoSat 27-May-06 02:35 PM
Member since 11th Apr 2006
53 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48351, "RE: Comments"
In response to Reply #12

First of all, let me say that I really liked you as a mortal, which
has been completely blown to hell by your actions since I interacted
with you. I will point out your 10 comments that shocked and amazed
me the most. I hope I am not wasting my time because you have
gotten tons of good advice from other people and completely ignored
it. So, before I go any further, let me repeat, I liked both you and
your character in all of our IC interactions, but they were both
ruined by your absolute desire to try and proove that conjurers suck
instead of trying to show what you can do with them, so all of my
advice is in that spirit, whether you take it to heart or not, good
luck with the next and have fun.

Woe is the player of an elf conjurer.
Let me say this simply. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an
elvish conjurer. I'll repeat, they are perfectly balanced. I
would say in my 10 years of playing this game, my most
overpowered character was an elvish conjurer. However, they are
a finesse class. Their power is limited only by a persons creativity
in its use. Mine was virtually unkillable, even without wands.
Your post on the other board made me nearly as disgusted as I have
ever been seeing a post, but I will get into that later. To use
a different analogy, you were trying to outfight a warrior straight
up with a thief.

Post 1 - You think thats great rp, I think its chicken####.
Post 2 - Whose RP did I criticize?
-An intelligent argument about how that is not criticizing rp is
impossible. Play a ranger, and see how effective you are playing
differently, which I would say you have not done. He is playing
the class the way it is meant to be successfully played, which you
did not do with your class.

3.Conjuring time is insane. If you get a lousy archon/servitor/angel
you are basically screwed for 30 RL minutes.
-So find something to do for those next 30 minutes, go gather wands
that are of moderate to easy difficulty to gather, go kill the snow
worm and help out some low ranking lightwalker, there are a million
things you can do with a luminous. There is absolutely no reason
that you can't do 90% of the things you would want to do with weak
minions.

No real means to lag effectively, no real means to maledict opponents
beyond wanding them up
-You seem to have a descent knowledge of wands, which leaves about a
million options right there for maledicting, in addition to a few that
come with your class. Please though, do not post on how villagers are
overpowered after you did nothing but try to lash them the entire fight.

The truth is I only remember dieing to a goodie conjurer once, and
that was when Yalanka gaunted my fire ap after I fought Lariya
and Tuk.
-So you knew coming in what the strengths and weaknesses of the
conjurer class are, yet still are screaming as loud as you can
about their imbalance?

I know I complain a lot, but hopefully some of the staff can get
past my history and take this post as some honest, constructive
criticism with a flame thrown in.
-I know absolutely nothing about your past, and all of my comments
are based upon your present. Honestly, you are trying to argue game
mechanics with people who have put probably 1000 times more thought
into it than you have, and while input is appreciated, assuming the
role of the authority will not go far to get your points considered.
After reading this good-bye post, I am in absolute shock that you
actually believe it is everyone else that has the issue with
listening to advice, as you have recieved so much valuable advice
it is amazing, and proceeded to shrug off every single piece of it.

Archons healing ~60 hp through abs? Thats ridiculous.
-It would seem 100% obvious to me that a/s sanc is a far, far better
choice in lieu of this information, which you seem to know, but choose
to go with abs to either show off your knowledge and what little
affect is has, or just to try to add to your argument about the
ineffectiveness of the conjurer. You post extensively about the
many drawbacks of the conjurer class, but seem to be unwilling to put
two seconds of thought into thinking up very simple (trust me, they
are out there) ways to overcome these limitations. You complain
about the tesseract spell, but are not willing to put in the time
to think of ways to use it creatively.

8. To Cabdru -
I think subconsciously you want to be beaten because if you continue
trucking you will come to realize CF's player skill has dropped.
-Way to try to put your own opinion into someone elses mouth. How
could you possibly come to these results about the opinions of
Cabdru's player from watching him IC. You couldn't. Player skill
has by no means dropped in Carrion. People like Cabdru used to be
far more common than they are today precisely because the skill gap
has closed between the average player and the great player.

Complaint posts on that other board
-If you take one thing to heart from this entire post, please let
it be this: The best advice you could ever have to sit back after
every death and think to yourself, "What could I have done
differently to avoid that?", and "What did I do wrong?" You take a
and immediately throw it up for everyone to see, posting about
imbalance issues. I doubt you have ever played a villager, but
play one before you go calling them imbalanced. I've had a
character with over 20 villager kills and only 1 villager loss which
was to a gank of 4 villagers. If you are honestly interested in
knowing what you did wrong, let me know and I will tell you, but
I think you are more interested in trying to lose so you can
blame it on the conjurer class.

I'll just end with this some advice. Having played nearly every
class, I can tell you there are no overpowered classes. You played
a class that requires deep thought about their mechanics for success
and tried to brute force it. If you follow the advice in #9 instead
of blaming game balance, you will quickly find that you have
improved enough that you no longer even think about blaming game
balance. I hope that this advice is helpful and that it makes you
realize you have been blowing off extremely helpful advice all
because you don't want to realize that you were not playing a
conjurer in the manner needed to have success with them, in any
regard good luck with your next and have fun.

vegalicous (Guest)Sat 27-May-06 02:54 AM

#48344, "RE: Ythoros"
In response to Reply #11

>Useful: Identify strengths and weaknesses. Exploit strengths,
>cover weaknesses.
>Not useful: Claim all weaknesses are design flaws, "lazy
>coding", or "cheap". Take strengths for granted and omit from
>discussion.

This is so true and somehow alot of players seem to not understand it. Now all I want to know is: Where do I purchase my "I love Valg badge"?

Guy (Guest)Sat 27-May-06 03:23 AM

#48345, "Not sure but I'll pitch in for one too n/t"
In response to Reply #14

fdsaasdf

le dude (Guest)Sat 27-May-06 09:30 AM

#48348, "It should be reversible to say "I blame Valg" on the ot..."
In response to Reply #15

nt

vegalicous (Guest)Sat 27-May-06 10:01 AM

#48349, "I want one of those even more!"
In response to Reply #16

Sometimes you need to blame someone.

Eclipse (inactive user)Wed 24-May-06 08:25 PM
Charter member
#48309, "Woe is the player of an elf conjurer. A long-winded pos..."
In response to Reply #0

Liked this class immensely on one level (killing mobs). Hated this combo on every single other level. Conjuring time is insane. If you get a lousy archon/servitor/angel you are basically screwed for 30 RL minutes. PK - ugh, where to begin. No real means to lag effectively, no real means to maledict opponents beyond wanding them up. I tried to think back on my time here on CF. The truth is I only remember dieing to a goodie conjurer once, and that was when Yalanka gaunted my fire ap after I fought Lariya and Tuk.

I am not the best pker, god knows Nepenthe can pk everyone with an elf conjurer with no wands and a practice whip. I know I complain a lot, but hopefully some of the staff can get past my history and take this post as some honest, constructive criticism with a flame thrown in.

No other class can die to their own spells like a conjurer can. Yet there are not one, but many ways this can happen. Lost souls when using clairaudience, psychic vampires when using clairvoyance, elementals turning on you when they become unbound. Why not eliminate this possibility and instead just damage the conjurer or something directly. Give them some drawback for these spells so they aren't completely risk free, but for god's sakes tone down the punishment for a bad clairaudience/clairvoyance. Start throwing around stuff like familiar deaths and you basically have a class that is 100% dependent on servitors who frankly act like typical Fortress folk - meaning that they simply can NOT be counted on in crunch time at all. Angels are great, if you can be sure you won't go outside with your groupmates. What about removing pillar hitting groupmates for these angels?

Archons healing ~60 hp through abs? Thats ridiculous. Then let us not forget when archons get lazy and just decide (what appears to be randomly) that they just don't feel like healing for what typically seemed like ~6 rounds. I am going to level a flat out flame to the coders of this mud and say its lazy coding that they are the exact same as objects and not bound by the same rules governing any other mobile in the game. It simply is not indicative of the work you guys have obviously put in for other classes and to me it reflects poorly on the MUD. I 100% cannot imagine a player new to CF playing a conjurer with any success at all. I guarantee you if people played conjurers like they do warriors, they would get changed. I'll make an assumption and say that the reason people don't play them is for a lot of the reasons I've brought up.

Now I will even throw out some other issues I have, that actually favored me. What possible reason can you have for a spell like tesseract? While cool in theory, to basically eliminate a huge part of CF (finding the enemy) is just cheesy to me. Add in nightgaunt and this class has not one, but two ways to eliminate chasing/hunting. To me, having the ability to lag someone effectively would be a lot better then the one shot deal of tesseract. I've tried to offer some suggestions to how to better the class, rather then just complain with no solutions of my own to offer, so please believe I really WANT this class to be better.

Now, enough ranting. On to enemies (which most of you were).

Nreisshe - I've never seen a more skilled killer so scared to take risks. To each their own playstyles, though. I still think that kill of my familiar and then me in the snare is just a garbage death. I got no commands the entire ?fight?. But, my opinion is not always the right one, though I still believe 100% familiar snared is ####.

Kharthak - You had a knack for finding me when I had either no protections up, or no servitors. That last death to you, you killed me before my servitors even could attack. 878hp from a pincer and one round of combat. Let that log be a lesson to everyone saying "Have an angel, have an angel!". Bah. Even being the wand whore I was, I can't keep up abs 24/7. Good work and good RP from you in our interactions.

Village in general - You guys seemed solid. I fought a bunch of you, Chirrpiku, Lerimos, Burrgyn (Barring that one incident of you sitting at my pit spamming bash 2 min after I logged in), Yuvralin. I pretty much liked all you guys. Even Kragathian who I tried and succeeded at pissing off.

Cabdru - ####. What I wouldn't give to have prepped before you got me in that place. How was I to know you'd be in the place you were so close to the entrance! Damn my timing. Damn it to hell. It was the first time for me in CF that I just totally noobed out and completely folded under the pressure. I had been trying to keep tabs on you every time I saw you logged in. Spying on you while you were talking to Muuloc was fun. I read your logs, and look at your gear choices and like to think I know who you are. Props to you for putting your money where your mouth is, but I think subconsciously you want to be beaten because if you continue trucking you will come to realize CF's player skill has dropped. I can understand why you don't want to believe that. Best of luck with everything. You are nastier then Zorszaul even if he would have killed you

Aeria - I liked this character on every level, and our fights were to me some of the best I had. That time you got me in Arendyl, I had no idea I couldn't word after killing the hunt. When we fought in the Spire, how close to death were you? Damn you running into Silverwood and healing up Good luck with the next. Awesome char.

Imms - Thank you so much for making this game and being patient with me. To the imm who talked with me about my lack of a real role. Thank you. You did not have to be cool like that. Please guys/gals, look into changing conjurers, they just need your TLC. I know I am an abrasive ass a lot of times, but I do it because I want this game to be better.

Haters - Roll a better elf conjurer or shut the #### up. Matter of fact, just hero an elf conjurer without a perma, and get back to me.

This is getting long-winded even for me, so Ill thank anyone with the patience to read this far. See you in the fields.

Nreisshe (Guest)Wed 24-May-06 09:06 PM

#48312, "RE: Woe is the player of an elf conjurer. A long-winded..."
In response to Reply #2

>> Nreisshe - I've never seen a more skilled killer so scared to take
>> risks. To each their own playstyles, though.

Well, to be quite honest, I don't think you were much of a risk, evil conjurers would qualify for that, and that ranting tirade after the kill wasn't going to convince me to fight you fully prepped.
Still, a goodie conjurer is damn hard to kill, obviously I'm not interested in a pointless slugfest where either just will flee/word (especially since you always saw me coming, you fam where spammer you), and since you quite honestly were one of the most predictable people in the game as far as your movement went, I decided to capitalize on that.

>> I still think that kill of my familiar and then me in the snare is
>> just a garbage death. I got no commands the entire ?fight?. But,
>> my opinion is not always the right one, though I still believe
>> 100% familiar snared is ####.

I actually agree with you, it was kind of unfair. But, there's a reason why most conjurers don't walk with their familiars out even though they're 5 times tougher than in the past... send the familiar ahead to scout, sure, then leave it in some obscure room in a nearby area in case things go bad. It's all about being paranoid enough.

Eclipse (inactive user)Wed 24-May-06 09:38 PM
Charter member
#48313, "You are pretty much dead on with your comments also."
In response to Reply #5

"Well, to be quite honest, I don't think you were much of a risk, evil conjurers would qualify for that, and that ranting tirade after the kill wasn't going to convince me to fight you fully prepped. "

Hell yes, I totally blew my cool against you and I am sorry for it. I tried to patch it up with some RP after, but the truth is I couldn't do #### to you in the woods. The log of you dirting my archon and it not even bothering to hit you just made me realize I had 0 chance at beating you in the woods. I imagine the only thing you worried about fighting me was that I'd faerie fire you and call in allies

"Still, a goodie conjurer is damn hard to kill, obviously I'm not interested in a pointless slugfest where either just will flee/word (especially since you always saw me coming, you fam where spammer you)"

Well. Nreisshe had a reputation when I was ranking up and I remembered that. Then you snared me and I barely escaped a couple of times, so after that my first command on login was cast familiar;fam who pk. If you were on, I spammed fam where Nreisshe for sure! The irony of that last kill is I was doing it then too. Bah. I know that time you came to Emerald and I yelled for you had to frustrate your sneakier side. Heh. I'll take my victories where I can against you

"and since you quite honestly were one of the most predictable people in the game as far as your movement went, I decided to capitalize on that."

Without going into specifics there was a reason I was the most predictable and why you kept finding me in a certain place. You snaring where you did basically meant I either could try and go there, or accept that you had blocked me from it for the login.

"I actually agree with you, it was kind of unfair. "

You laugh, but I read this and it gives me some small amount of satisfaction that I am not crazy.

"send the familiar ahead to scout, sure, then leave it in some obscure room in a nearby area in case things go bad."

I did leave it in obscure rooms, and then you beat on it while I was gone! I know at least once I released it when it had to be convulsing. Bah. Nreisshe is a far better killer then any of my chars, but #### man/lady, take some risks! I shudder to think what people would say of you if you left the woods every once in a while. Anyways, good luck with the next, and see you in the fields.

Nreisshe (Guest)Wed 24-May-06 09:54 PM

#48314, "RE: You are pretty much dead on with your comments also..."
In response to Reply #6

>> Hell yes, I totally blew my cool against you and I am sorry for it.

No offense taken.

I actually know what you were doing there in that area, but this char could care less about that thing. All I know is I saw you there so often that, well...

>> I know that time you came to Emerald and I yelled for you had to frustrate your sneakier side. Heh. I'll take my victories where I can against you

Actually I missed that one, I left the area instantly, considering an alternate entrance to try to sneak up on you faster, but when I finished my plan you were gone. I do remember the time I stumbled on you in Tabershaw's. Yes, it's frustrating when people can see me, my stealth is the tool of my trade.

>> I shudder to think what people would say of you if you left the woods every once in a while.

They'd say "that's it? What'a pushover". Just ask... uh, I forget his name, but a neutral conjie guy and his giant sidekick. My being dangerous is in direct relation to how in the middle of nowhere I find you, unfortunately I'm not a Tjok/whoever else.

nepentheWed 24-May-06 10:23 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48315, "RE: Woe is the player of an elf conjurer. A long-winded..."
In response to Reply #2

>PK - ugh, where to begin.
>No real means to lag effectively, no real means to maledict
>opponents beyond wanding them up.

All that's true; however, played correctly it should also be one of the hardest to kill.

You can't both be nigh-invincible and have strong killing power.

>No other class can die to their own spells like a conjurer
>can. Yet there are not one, but many ways this can happen.
>Lost souls when using clairaudience, psychic vampires when
>using clairvoyance, elementals turning on you when they become
>unbound. Why not eliminate this possibility and instead just
>damage the conjurer or something directly.

Conjurers have strengths that no other class has; they also have drawbacks that no other class has. You see this as a flaw in their creation; I see this as the very thing that makes them unique and cool.

>Archons healing ~60 hp through abs? Thats ridiculous. Then let
>us not forget when archons get lazy and just decide (what
>appears to be randomly) that they just don't feel like healing
>for what typically seemed like ~6 rounds. I am going to level
>a flat out flame to the coders of this mud and say its lazy
>coding that they are the exact same as objects and not bound
>by the same rules governing any other mobile in the game.

Heh. You know we went out of our way to do that on purpose, right?

DR affects make archon healing way, way, way ass better.

So we either:

1) Do something like what we did. An alternate implementation would be, the more DR you have, the more likely the archon just sits there because it doesn't think you need as much help, resulting in (on average) a similar amount of healing.

2) Balance archons so they're fair with a full wack of DR, meaning, they'd be ####ty if you didn't have that stuff up.

>Now I will even throw out some other issues I have, that
>actually favored me. What possible reason can you have for a
>spell like tesseract? While cool in theory, to basically
>eliminate a huge part of CF (finding the enemy) is just cheesy
>to me. Add in nightgaunt and this class has not one, but two
>ways to eliminate chasing/hunting. To me, having the ability
>to lag someone effectively would be a lot better then the one
>shot deal of tesseract.

Tesseract is different and unique, whereas giving conjurers bash would make them more like warriors. If you want to play a warrior, play a warrior. If you want to have a lot of the kind of tools a conjurer has at their disposal but not a lot of finishing power, play a conjurer.

Need I point out that tesseract isn't particularly great for massive ganging, but archon conjurers with bash would be?

Yhorian (Guest)Thu 25-May-06 05:07 AM

#48319, "RE: Woe is the player of an elf conjurer. A long-winded..."
In response to Reply #8

>>PK - ugh, where to begin.
>>No real means to lag effectively, no real means to maledict
>>opponents beyond wanding them up.

>All that's true; however, played correctly it should also be one of the >hardest to kill.

>You can't both be nigh-invincible and have strong killing power.

Cabdru?

Yhorian.

PS - Conjurers are great, because you have the option of going major defensive, or major offensive. Servitors are surprisingly reliable once you get into the swing of things. Many people also forget, the archon doesn't just heal in combat. Flee and return with one makes you near impossible to kill. Don't get me started on how vicious angels are.

Old Player (Guest)Thu 25-May-06 08:12 AM

#48320, "RE: Woe is the player of an elf conjurer. A long-winded..."
In response to Reply #8

Not really part of this discussion, but a while ago, I can not remember if it was you or Scar that posted it, but the plan was to change angels to be like demons in that each Angel does something different and that you can choose what type of Angel to call. To give a good conjurer more of a variety. Has any more been decided on this, or was the idea totally scrapped. Think it would go a long way in doing as he suggested while giving a goodie conjurer a bit more variety. And help us decide against the Pillar of Lightning Angels (AKA Moris-Gravis Chain Lightning Demons). Maybe make the Lesser a tanking one who does less damage but can take a beating, the fierced one all about normal attacks, and one like a paladin and wrathing, and one about lightning and fire..

Eclipse (inactive user)Thu 25-May-06 05:59 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #8

"played correctly it should also be one of the hardest to kill."

It was. I fought numerous villagers etc and lived no worries. The problems arose when either a) the enemy dished out damage too fast for the archon to heal or b) they caught me with my pants down. Part a) to me is a class design issue, and part b) is my own #### up of pk.

"You can't both be nigh-invincible and have strong killing power."

I will strongly disagree here. Goodie conjurer didn't match up nearly as well either survivability or pk wise with invoker, or even assassin/thief or transmuter. -shrug-

"Conjurers have strengths that no other class has; they also have drawbacks that no other class has. You see this as a flaw in their creation; I see this as the very thing that makes them unique and cool."

Unique yes, cool maybe, but you can't deny the logic behind the class is different from every other one on CF. To me it is akin to having a mob that can gate to you anywhere in Thera after you flee. Different yes, cool....? Relying on mobs whose AI just simply cannot compare with a humans is....just not the best to me. Even devils did better then archons from what I saw in the AI department. If you took out tesseract/clairaudience/clairvoyance from being risky or risk-free, and gave them some medium between them, it might make the class more appealing.

"Heh. You know we went out of our way to do that on purpose, right?"

Like you made the rings of regeneration ignore DR? I just don't see the logic behind a single set of mobs in the game (archons) acting differently then every other NPC (healers etc) or PC(actual healers) in the game. Your sandbox though.

"1) Do something like what we did. An alternate implementation would be, the more DR you have, the more likely the archon just sits there because it doesn't think you need as much help, resulting in (on average) a similar amount of healing.

2) Balance archons so they're fair with a full wack of DR, meaning, they'd be ####ty if you didn't have that stuff up."

I agree I don't have a perfect solution here. And I can understand why you aren't apt to jump when I say it sucks without offering an alternative. It is still damnably frustrating. The only possible solution I can think of is that archons become more aggressive to enemies when they sense the conjurer has a fair amount of dam redux up.

"Tesseract is different and unique, whereas giving conjurers bash would make them more like warriors. If you want to play a warrior, play a warrior. "

I don't say give them bash, but even invokers get pebble, and transmuters get neuro. Conjurers get...lash. Nice if you are a whip spec, sucky even mastered at hero with a conjurer. Not completely useless, but...not on par with neuro or even pebble. Maybe elementals could do lagging moves more the higher level they are. Lagging moves that don't hit the whole room

"If you want to have a lot of the kind of tools a conjurer has at their disposal but not a lot of finishing power, play a conjurer."

I agree and I thought that was what I was getting into, but damn if I didn't underestimate just HOW sucky their finishing power was.

"Need I point out that tesseract isn't particularly great for massive ganging, but archon conjurers with bash would be?"

Not at all. I guess goodie conjies just fall into the "jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none" category. Truth is I won't play a goodie conjurer ever again unless they undertake a significant set of changes. I won't say that about any other class I've played on Cf except conjurers, though.

Daurwyn_b (Guest)Sat 27-May-06 11:42 AM

#48350, "Scrying"
In response to Reply #13

If you ever died scrying you were dying because you messed up.

General scrying rules:

Have a fire elemental. Either angel or archon can do the trick.
Don't spam magic missile on lost souls. Better yet, be by a healer so you can heal mana.

Once you get psychic vamps regularly, use an archon.

Think the only time I ever died scrying with Daurwyn was when I decided to see how an angel worked against a psychic vamp. I was by a healer but got malaised so wasn't able to get the healer to heal me more than about once every 5 rounds.

Dartelius (Guest)Wed 24-May-06 10:45 AM

#48303, "RE: (RAGE DELETE) [None] Ythoros the Planewalker"
In response to Reply #0

You perked my interest pretty early on and I'm glad that we got the chance to interact a bit. Unfortunately, your solution to our problem was to walk away and never speak again. I was looking forward to a good interaction with you, and you just sorta started freaking out and left. I really wanted to hero you there, so sorry that interpersonal exchange didn't go better. I tried to reconcile later, but then it looks like you got sick of the constant crying that is playing an elf conjurer and deleted. Just because of your RC combo I was interested to see what you were doing with yourself and if you would go places in life.

I hope you got some good exploration in and enjoy the next even more than this one. Good luck!

Eclipse (inactive user)Wed 24-May-06 08:31 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #1

But my character never forgave you for ninja-looting an item from my corpse while we were groupmates. The fact I actually had planned to give it to you just made it worse. I had enough problems from enemies/servitors when I was on. I didn't need any allies who would screw me over the minute they had the opportunity

Thanks for the interactions though, and good luck with Dartelius, seems like a very interesting char. See you in the fields.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #48300 Previous topic | Next topic