Subject: "Dead: I suck as a player." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #46259
Show all folders

Kaeciln (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 06:24 PM

#46259, "Dead: I suck as a player."

Had enough.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Top

Reply Okay, all done, Aarn, 01-Mar-06 11:15 PM, #25
Reply Halelujah!, Kaeciln (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:43 PM, #18
Reply Please see my post below. I never was involved in pk wi..., Nightwiggler (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:52 PM, #20
Reply This has nothing to do with PK., nepenthe, 01-Mar-06 10:53 PM, #21
Reply Actually you are correct:, Kaeciln (Guest), 01-Mar-06 11:13 PM, #24
Reply Don't let the door hit you on the way out., Doobage (Guest), 01-Mar-06 11:04 PM, #22
Reply Follow through..., Gente de CF (Guest), 01-Mar-06 11:12 PM, #23
Reply Gasoline on the fire. Whoosh!, nepenthe, 01-Mar-06 09:29 PM, #6
Reply Thank you .txt, Nightwiggler (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:07 PM, #11
Reply Uh Huh., Kaeciln (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:24 PM, #15
     Reply I will say one final thing on this .txt, Nightwiggler (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:46 PM, #19
     Reply Except:, Valguarnera, 01-Mar-06 11:19 PM, #26
Reply *YAWN* n/t, Kaeciln (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:10 PM, #13
Reply Thank you for saying this., Doobage (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:25 PM, #16
Reply Post some goodbyes, damn it! n/t, Silvellien. (Guest), 01-Mar-06 09:23 PM, #5
Reply You suck..post some good byes at least.., Alenysi (Guest), 01-Mar-06 06:33 PM, #3
Reply To clarify.., Alenysi (Guest), 01-Mar-06 06:44 PM, #4
     Reply Clarification:, Kaeciln (Guest), 01-Mar-06 09:57 PM, #8
          Reply Except .txt, Nightwiggler (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:05 PM, #10
               Reply I strongly endorse this post., nepenthe, 01-Mar-06 10:07 PM, #12
                    Reply *YAWN* n/t, Kaeciln (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:11 PM, #14
                         Reply Dude...I might listen to them..., Alenysi (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:27 PM, #17
Reply Perma Esays are really bloody annoying. nt, Anondude (Guest), 01-Mar-06 06:29 PM, #2
Reply When applied carelessly, yes., Valguarnera, 01-Mar-06 09:41 PM, #7
     Reply I agree with all the above .txt, Nightwiggler (Guest), 01-Mar-06 10:02 PM, #9
Reply RE: Dead: I suck as a player., Felnarsto (Guest), 01-Mar-06 06:27 PM, #1

AarnWed 01-Mar-06 11:15 PM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#46288, "Okay, all done"
In response to Reply #0

Well, you've gotten the criticism from several respected players and immortals, and your most enlightened reply thus far has been *yawn*. I don't think there's anywhere left for this thread to go but down, so it's locked. If you have a legitimate point you want to bring up, you can take it to the Ask an Immortal forum.

Aarn

Kaeciln (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:43 PM

#46281, "Halelujah!"
In response to Reply #0

Posting my goodbye like I did was to let the characters I gave a damn about some notice of my deletion was in hopes that people like: Doobage, Nightwiggler and other online personas would simply go away happy to have bested or seen bested a weaker PKer. But of course a HUGE sense of virtual self made for the NEED to speak out!

CF is the playground of a bunch of people given virtual spines to play a FPS using others to satisfy their need to be the best. Many of the Imms here spend hours extolling PK yet players striving to get a new Cabal for mages get bored, delete, con die, and basically spin their wheels aimlessly. The new Cabal would definately give options to MANY a neutral character. Oh well.

Back to me:
Sadly I got upset when in the sandbox some kicked sand in my eye and took my toy horse for no reason, then of course ran off and hid from any interaction gloating at the possession of my horse. Then top it all off they got even MORE fun doing the same top a smaller kid in the sand box, who could not even stand up yet, right in front of me. Funny how I got upset at this? Especially since the evidence for said kid needing help was evident. Having seen this over and over again...and of course suffering tons of PK attempts while trying to help others made me surly IC and OOC.

Praise be to PK!

Nightwiggler (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:52 PM

#46283, "Please see my post below. I never was involved in pk wi..."
In response to Reply #18

nt

nepentheWed 01-Mar-06 10:53 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#46284, "This has nothing to do with PK."
In response to Reply #18

The whole PK thing is just a 'Look over there!' ploy.

You have WAY too much sense of entitlement and way too much of a temper to play a game like this. All the people you're looking down on? They're your betters, not just in a game like this, but in life.

Let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Kaeciln (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 11:13 PM

#46287, "Actually you are correct:"
In response to Reply #21

>The whole PK thing is just a 'Look over there!' ploy.

No! Wrong at this point. The PK thing is the issue that stems from many the weaknesses of CF to foster a roleplaying enviroment and therefore fun for many players. Seeing a desc where it said "This space will be filled when I get to level 11 or when I damn well feel like it." just plays back to the fact that the game is all about PK.

>You have WAY too much sense of entitlement and way too much of
>a temper to play a game like this. All the people you're
>looking down on? They're your betters, not just in a game
>like this, but in life.

Temper may be truthful. Rest is just wishful thinking on your part.

>Let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I doubt this will happen as you wish, but you are correct, CF has lost all interest to me. Game is too high maintenance on PK preparations to be fun with a character who is focused on a storyline rather than a PK stat sheet.

Even many my sources of RP were hyper focused on PK now that I think of it. Sad thing is that CF has so much promise in it to provide a well balanced game between RP & PK yet so many are staunchly against such a development.

Cya.

Doobage (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 11:04 PM

#46285, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."
In response to Reply #18

For someone so critical of the game you sure seemed to play a lot.

Gente de CF (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 11:12 PM

#46286, "Follow through..."
In response to Reply #18

You post the same rant every time you delete your character and say you're leaving CF because we all suck at RP compared to you. Who knows, maybe we really do--I haven't had a character that's managed to spend 30 minutes around you without feeling that you're not just RPing a tool, but that you really are one OOC so I start avoiding you. Anyway, isn't it about time you followed through and left?

nepentheWed 01-Mar-06 09:29 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#46267, "Gasoline on the fire. Whoosh!"
In response to Reply #0

Please make a less obnoxious character next time.

In particular, if you're going to insist on playing an elf, play an elf. There isn't one character playing right now that spews as much actual profanity as you near-constantly did, and last time I checked your role it didn't read, "I am a huge potty-mouth, because mages stole the soap that should have washed out my mouth as a child."

Nightwiggler (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:07 PM

#46273, "Thank you .txt"
In response to Reply #6

This char was more profanity laden and petulent than Mizzarah, and I was on the recieving end of MANY of Mizzarah's tirades.

To be honest, after a few of Kaeciln's temper tantrums, I considered praying asking for a forced help elf.

Should I have?

Kaeciln (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:24 PM

#46277, "Uh Huh."
In response to Reply #11

Seeing that the majority of characters on CF really suffer from PKitis and in doing so have little to no viable RP other than get X.

I really laugh at this. Having had characters on other muds that are extremely strict with respect to RP and earning a lot of perks on them I really get a kick out of this.

Read these, they pretty much sums up CF:

http://mu.ranter.net/theory/general.html#grandfather

http://mu.ranter.net/theory/general.html#roleplaying

Read this part a few times:

"It seems bleak, and it is. This is one of the reasons that jaded players of MMORPG's and CRPG's have gone back into the roulette game of pen and paper, hoping against hope to find a GM and/or players who do not suck. As a general rule, though, most people do suck, and are incapable of telling an RPG from a glorified shooter, which is what many so-called RPG's actually represent. It is my fervent hope that the RPG, particularly the MMORPG, will rise above the level of "bad Doom with character levels" and manage to present an immersive and compelling storyline that draws players in, rather than continuing on their current slide."

Nightwiggler (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:46 PM

#46282, "I will say one final thing on this .txt"
In response to Reply #15

I never pked you, nor did you try to pk me, so that isn't a valid point with me, even if it would be otherwise, which I don't think it would.

ValguarneraWed 01-Mar-06 11:19 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#46289, "Except:"
In response to Reply #15
Edited on Wed 01-Mar-06 11:19 PM

The glaring problem with your theory is that no one in this thread has mentioned your lack of PK prowess in the slightest. Several people have, however, noted that this character behaved more or less like you are on this forum-- throwing around insults, having tantrums, and otherwise acting like a child. You expected the world to revolve around you, yet acted in a way that assured that people were more than happy to leave you alone.

In short, the hostility you're seeing is based purely on your lack of RP.

I'd blame it on a role, but all of your characters have been subpar in that same fashion. What hinders your growth isn't complicated- it's simply that you feel like you are above advice, dooming yourself to a cycle of frustration.

That said, I think we can both agree that you'd be happier elsewhere. Please make good on your threats and go. No need to continue beating this dead horse of a thread.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Kaeciln (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:10 PM

#46275, "*YAWN* n/t"
In response to Reply #6

n/t

Doobage (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:25 PM

#46278, "Thank you for saying this."
In response to Reply #6

I hadn't been more disgusted with an elf character since Lathan.

Silvellien. (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 09:23 PM

#46266, "Post some goodbyes, damn it! n/t"
In response to Reply #0

I really hate how you up and deleted out of nowhere like that >_>

Alenysi (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 06:33 PM

#46262, "You suck..post some good byes at least.."
In response to Reply #0

n/t

Alenysi (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 06:44 PM

#46263, "To clarify.."
In response to Reply #3

Kaeciln didn't suck I actually liked him a lot, and you don't suck as a player, you probably better than me...like ten times better than me. Anyway post good byes so I can have something to reply to(unless I am assuming too much that I was actually important in Kaeciln's life). See ya around, hopefully(just keep on plugging away...and if you really needed more help you could have begged it from Alenysi...I mean sheesh..).

Kaeciln (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 09:57 PM

#46270, "Clarification:"
In response to Reply #4

When PK starts being more important to a character of mine, hence me, than RP I quit. PK started to become the only thing that was going on with Kaeciln's development and I thank Gharahka spanking my silly butt for showing me what was going on. Heck the bit of RPing about the miniscule bit of PK success, not as in killing but as in surviving or driving off, was interrupted by, of course, PK. No takers from three Cabals and several Order Sorcerer types on doing some RPing for his storyline was a unfortunate.

I prefer RP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PK and CF is not a venue which nutures that for me as a player right now. Eshval is simply AMAZING beyond words but her time of running the Hag/Jagad-a-thon does not mesh with mine. Ilraeth and Salvraeth at one time set a standard for roleplaying in the Fortress and of course definately in Warlock that was simply superb. Hence the character concept.

CF needs more crazy supposedly female Imms I guess. If you want to see what I am speaking of look at the drawings done for Ilraeth and Salvraeth to get a taste of just how RP focused that person was. Amaranthe's self portrait is pretty damn cool too.

The perma-esay was my own private bitch at the fact that CF blows goats with respect to RP commands symbolizing there is NO in game ability to do some wonderul emotes. Esays, emotes, and some new "emoting" commands should have auto name substitution, colour differentiation for "emote" portion vs 'message', possessive, first/second/third person formats and a lot more.

Advanced Emote/Esay combination example:

, Looking around ^Kaeciln's gaze finally settles on ^Alenysi and with a smile ^Kaeciln "Greetings Alenysi, you kept me going."

to yield:

For me: Looking around your gaze finally settles on Alenysi and with a smile you say "Greetings Alenysi, you kept me going."

For Alenysi: Looking around Kaeciln's gaze finally settles on you and with a smile he says "Greetings Alenysi, you kept me going."

For others: Looking around Kaeciln's gaze finally settles on Alenysi and with a smile he says "Greetings Alenysi, you kept me going."

Notice all the subtle changes for possession and substitution. Makes roleplaying more in depth and filled with atmosphere in turn making CF feel more like story in progress than a fps.

Did not want to post right after I realized what had happened with Kaeciln because I was grouchy. The only thing keeping the Kaeciln playable were other amazing characters: Alenysi, Silvellien, Saiydee, Saroiya, Domjac, Daeoine, Athelea, Artageia, Haageran, Gabbianne, and a horde of lower levels that were fun.

All this added up to mean Kaeciln was nothing but a sad shell of what I wanted him to be.

Nightwiggler (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:05 PM

#46272, "Except .txt"
In response to Reply #8

You should work on your basic rping before you worry about having complex tools to do more.

Using a Perma esay as a middle finger to CFs command options is lame, to say the least.

nepentheWed 01-Mar-06 10:07 PM
3430 posts
#46274, "I strongly endorse this post."
In response to Reply #10

Better RP tools won't help you when a substantial percentage of the playerbase would rather try to sneak a Winnebago past customs in a body cavity than interact with you any more than they absolutely have to.

Kaeciln (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:11 PM

#46276, "*YAWN* n/t"
In response to Reply #12

n/t

Alenysi (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:27 PM

#46280, "Dude...I might listen to them..."
In response to Reply #14

I never saw any of this from you, and I enjoyed your character...but then again I wasn't pking your little arse So anyway, I had thought to talk to you ooc when you were gone...your choice no biggie...good luck with your next(and don't get too frustrated).

Anondude (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 06:29 PM

#46261, "Perma Esays are really bloody annoying. nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

ValguarneraWed 01-Mar-06 09:40 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#46268, "When applied carelessly, yes."
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Wed 01-Mar-06 09:41 PM

It doesn't make much sense to have only one method of speaking on a character. Seeing:

Jimbob says with just a hint of malice yet a whole lot of contempt echoing in a hollow tone as if it was coming from all directions at once and with a slight accent which indicates an ancestry from the mountains surrounding Akan, perhaps from the northern regions although you can't quite place it down to the exact hill 'What?'

... generally provokes eye-rolling at best. I think a couple of "canned" aliases can help you plug in tone and emotion without excessive typing. A character might have an "angry" voice, a "happy" voice, etc., and you can use a little nuance describing any of those. It can give a consistent level of color to a character, and communicate context that might not otherwise be clear from just the words.

That said, brevity is nice. If 3 words says what 15 words says, go with 3.

But the robotic autosay (like most overdone triggers) doesn't add that information, adds useless text for everyone else to parse through, and generally takes away from the RP impact.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Nightwiggler (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 10:02 PM

#46271, "I agree with all the above .txt"
In response to Reply #7

In this characters particular case, he used "says in a soft voice with undertones of a babbling brook"

I had many interactions with this character when he was very very angry at me.

Suffice to say, I don't think it made much sense.

Asper a variety of canned esays, for different situations, I've always wanter to do something like that, but it would take a fair amount of client end work that I've never felt unlazy enough to do.
Similarly, have a database of ~70 emotes that you used for different situations (think a druid here having some mystical natuery emotes based on land type) would be cool, but that is something I don't even know how to do with a client.

Felnarsto (Guest)Wed 01-Mar-06 06:27 PM

#46260, "RE: Dead: I suck as a player."
In response to Reply #0

Well I wouldn't say that... but, the constant esay was a bit annoying at times. And elves are hard to muster especially with the low hp. Try a Dwarf or a hiding class and you will learn the ins and outs better in pk and the like. TRY TRY AGAIN!! I had fun with you ranking and all and hope to see you back in some form or another.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #46259 Previous topic | Next topic