Subject: "(RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfare" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #44625
Show all folders

Death_AngelSat 14-Jan-06 02:40 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2024
17177 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44625, "(RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfare"

Sat Jan 14 01:41:42 2006

At 8 o'clock AM, Day of the Bull, 29th of the Month of the Heat
on the Theran calendar Curdan perished, never to return.

Race:dwarf
Class:warrior
Level:47
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:188

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..., Curdan (Guest), 17-Jan-06 06:10 PM, #4
Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..., Grahnik (Guest), 17-Jan-06 06:27 PM, #5
Reply This much is true, Kaisse (Guest), 17-Jan-06 07:40 PM, #8
Reply It was simply the way you phrased things., Kaisse (Guest), 17-Jan-06 07:36 PM, #6
Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..., Valguarnera, 17-Jan-06 07:37 PM, #7
Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..., Evil Genius (Anonymous), 18-Jan-06 08:03 AM, #15
Reply I beleive lawyeresque was the comment that solidified i..., Tac, 18-Jan-06 10:08 AM, #19
Reply Wisdom from Scarabaeus, Curdan (Guest), 19-Jan-06 11:19 PM, #36
     Reply RE: Same ol', same ol'., Valguarnera, 20-Jan-06 09:04 AM, #37
          Reply Right. Avoid the point. You're good at that., Curdan (Guest), 20-Jan-06 12:03 PM, #38
               Reply I think it's a valid point, nepenthe, 20-Jan-06 02:13 PM, #39
                    Reply You do bear it so well., Doobage (Guest), 20-Jan-06 03:02 PM, #40
                    Reply RE: I think it's a valid point, Curdan (Guest), 20-Jan-06 03:06 PM, #41
                    Reply Forgot something, Curdan (Guest), 20-Jan-06 03:09 PM, #42
                         Reply And yet you still miss the point...., Lightmaged (Guest), 20-Jan-06 03:25 PM, #43
                              Reply RE: And yet you still miss the point...., Curdan (Guest), 20-Jan-06 04:08 PM, #44
                                   Reply Summary: I'm always right, everyone else is always wro..., Tac, 20-Jan-06 04:32 PM, #45
                                   Reply That was funny., Curdan (Guest), 20-Jan-06 04:42 PM, #46
                                        Reply RE: That was funny., A2, 20-Jan-06 06:07 PM, #47
                                   Reply No you rock!, Lightmaged (Guest), 20-Jan-06 05:44 PM, #48
                                        Reply RE: No you rock!, Curdan (Guest), 21-Jan-06 12:01 AM, #49
                                             Reply Last word. n/t, Lightmaged (Guest), 21-Jan-06 01:10 AM, #50
Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..., Vladamir, 17-Jan-06 07:44 PM, #9
Reply One comment worth noting., Peanut Gallery (Guest), 18-Jan-06 09:15 AM, #16
     Reply This is not worth noting., Tac, 18-Jan-06 10:15 AM, #20
          Reply You missed the point., Peanut Gallery. (Guest), 18-Jan-06 10:24 AM, #21
               Reply The point is you are sackless., Tac, 18-Jan-06 10:34 AM, #24
               Reply RE: You missed the point., Valguarnera, 18-Jan-06 10:58 AM, #26
                    Reply I stand corrected about Tac., Peanut Gallery (Guest), 18-Jan-06 11:01 AM, #27
Reply What was your last name?, The Forsaken- (Guest), 17-Jan-06 08:23 PM, #10
Reply RE: What was your last name?, Valguarnera, 18-Jan-06 01:56 AM, #14
Reply I disagree, Old school (Guest), 17-Jan-06 09:14 PM, #11
Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..., nepenthe, 18-Jan-06 12:17 AM, #12
Reply Hehe., Peanut Gallery (Guest), 18-Jan-06 09:18 AM, #17
     Reply RE: Hehe., nepenthe, 18-Jan-06 09:51 AM, #18
          Reply You could., Peanut Gallery (Guest), 18-Jan-06 10:26 AM, #22
               Reply But we are off track., Peanut Gallery (Guest), 18-Jan-06 10:33 AM, #23
               Reply Nah., nepenthe, 18-Jan-06 10:56 AM, #25
                    Reply I always thought, Alander (Guest), 18-Jan-06 12:17 PM, #29
                         Reply RE: I always thought, nepenthe, 18-Jan-06 12:35 PM, #30
                              Reply Aside:, nepenthe, 18-Jan-06 12:38 PM, #31
                                   Reply Now I'm curious..., GinGa, 18-Jan-06 08:57 PM, #32
Reply My comments, DurNominator, 18-Jan-06 12:50 AM, #13
Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..., Rongar (Guest), 18-Jan-06 11:17 AM, #28
Reply Hey, Aarn, anything? n/t, Curdan (Guest), 19-Jan-06 05:13 PM, #33
     Reply okay, Aarn, 19-Jan-06 08:24 PM, #34
          Reply RE: okay, Curdan (Guest), 19-Jan-06 11:12 PM, #35
Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..., nepenthe, 15-Jan-06 01:27 PM, #3
Reply Well well well, and who is here?, Observer (Guest), 14-Jan-06 04:29 AM, #1
     Reply I doubt many people will have good things to say, so..., Kaisse (Guest), 14-Jan-06 09:50 PM, #2

Curdan (Guest)Tue 17-Jan-06 06:10 PM

#44759, "RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..."
In response to Reply #0

While I make no promises or take any oaths, I suspect Curdan will be my last character for a good long while if not forever. I am sure there will be great rejoicing.

Here’s what playing Curdan demonstrated most: cf players and staff do not, for lack of a better phrase, put their money where their mouths are. In short, people play for convenience and ease, regardless of the appropriateness, and while it is commonly noted, harangued, chastised or otherwise negatively remarked upon after a character has died, it is never actually addressed, in game, and so the problem lies equally if not more with the staff. Allow me to explain.

Nepenthe’s comment on the pbf was incorrect, in part. Curdan did not so much order people around from the start just randomly or to do specific things - though that came later, sure, when people would do stupid ####. No, what Curdan did was to tell people in an ic way that they were letting ooc desires overrule the ic restrictions of their characters. But nobody likes to be reminded when they are doing something wrong, especially when they know they are doing it wrong but want to keep on doing it wrong, as many do in the game.

What am I talking about? I am talking about people who rationalize everything in order to gain all the benefits of a race or align or whatever, but ignore all the drawbacks.

Darus is a perfect example (but by no means the only or even the worst, just the one that Curdan dealt with most). He, like Curdan, is a dwarf. But Darus wanted to get all of the good things playing the dwarf race gives, but not be hindered by all of the consequences being a dwarf is supposed to bring. Before you can say “alignment and race do not get checked at the door when you are inducted into a cabal,” the rager he was running around with most was a duergar. A duergar! What’s more, he would go kill other dwarves for equ, especially the crazy dwarf Dern.

Now I am sure there will be hue and outcry but let’s be honest, absent a real role of somehow being anti your own people for some convoluted story or something, there just is no reason a dwarf should be killing another dwarf, just for some clothes. You know it, I know it, we all know it. Sure, if he wanted to kill one of the few remaining dwarf mages in Mortorn, that would be ok, but he didn’t. And just like the old days when good aligned people would “request” from neutral mobs just so they could say they didn’t attack them but instead were attacked and so just defending themselves when they got the equ they wanted, here Darus (and other dwarves) go kill Dern knowing full well he will attack them. Even if you wanted to rationalize the first time as an ic thing, meaning the character wouldn’t know he would get autoattacked, ok, but to go kill him again and again? Come on. And yes, I know, “I will be stronger for the war against the mages if I have his things, so I can kill him and it’s ok” is the common rationalization. ####. You are a dwarf. Hell, using that potion would make you better able to kill that mage, right? So why don’t you use it? Because you are a rager. Well, you are a dwarf, too.

Same goes for grouping with the duergar, for non-village things. Sure, you are in a raid? Or defending? Ok, you suck it up, with distaste. But going out and exploring together? Mob killing for equ together? Leveling? Come on.

For nine years now it has constantly come up the staff has repeatedly reiterated that just because you are in a cabal you don’t just forget your alignment and your race. The first time it came up that I recall was when I was in Masters. After one incident Twist sent the note to the cabal saying that people are who they were born, and that you come together for your common goal and so you aren’t at each other’s throats, but that doesn’t mean you are chummy or friendly or even happy about it, either. Kastellyn has written virtually the same thing only a year or so ago. And even on a battlefield thread not long ago it came up when a particular storm giant rager (Asomething, I forget) was grouping with a fire giant and others to help them rank. The staff just happened not to notice enough, so the battlefield thread said, but had they, there would have been consequences.

But, as usual, there are none. Which is why I said at the beginning that it is really more something to be laid at the feet of the staff than the players. Someone like Darus should pay a price for behaving essentially as a human with dwarf con and accent. A dwarf who groups with duergar and who kills other dwarves for equ should be dealt with. I am not saying there should be some screwing with his stats or abilities or something necessarily, but a title such as “betrayer of his people” or “outcast of his kind” or whatever other creative phrase you can come up with. Or if you are feeling generous, make it a little questy with some switched mob of Ludan or someone coming and asking him why he is killing his own people, why he is walking around pals with the very race he has been bred to hate, and is the antithesis of his kind? Yes, you tolerate them in the village. No, you don’t become best friends with them.

But these things never get challenged. And when they do, by players like myself or a few others, we get flack, because even though we have the right of it, there is nothing to back it up from the game staff, so people just keep on doing it as they want and get mad at you for mucking it up. People *want* to be able to have the strongest characters and groups, so they don’t like it when a role restriction ####s that up. They want to have you ignore your race and alignment or whatever else so that you can just go with the flow and make it easy for everyone to get what they want. So when you actually play it like it should be, or even close, nobody is happy and what often happened with Curdan, happens.

In any event, that’s what struck me most with this character. People forsake the obvious restrictions or penalties of their choices for race and/or alignment, because nobody will hold them accountable. And when someone who is not a staff member tries to, everyone just kicks and screams and gets angry for making trouble.

A few personal comments.

Ghutaal. In my almost ten years here I can safely say you were in the top five most annoying people to interact with, ever. No, I did not have any trigger to respond to you. I have never had any triggers, ever, other than for weapon disarms. I asked you in ten different ic ways to just shut the hell up and stop talking to me, but you wouldn’t stop, so I just responded the same way over and over, hoping that would keep you quiet. It didn’t work. You are the best example for why the “quiet” command should be tweaked to allow it to work on specific individuals.

Kaisse. I have mixed feelings about you. You like to trot out your character’s personal philosophical beliefs, but you get upset when anyone else does it, as though your position as commander makes you somehow the only one allowed to talk about your sphere or your beliefs, and everyone else is not just wrong, but being insubordinate by disagreeing. Also, we both know that Kastellyn just recently (last few months) re-informed everyone that you just don’t refuse challenges to the circle, that to do so is cowardly and ragers are not cowards. There can be consequences for mis-using the circle, but they come after it has been done, because a challenge is a challenge and you fight it like the warriors ragers are. When Kigan refused to come, you and I both know you should have done something pretty harsh for showing cowardice. The right way was to also punish me if you thought I was challenging him without reason. But the fight should have happened. On the other hand, you have exactly the right priorities, at least as far as I could tell, always looking to see where the cabal items were when you logged on and making sure we had them or that we got them if we could, and also that we should be out hunting, or leveling, when possible. And you drank a good bit, which Curdan of course liked very much. Maybe your best quality, in his eyes.

Aarn. You commented on Omeran’s battlefield thread but not mine, so perhaps you were looking to be silent rather than speak ill, but I can take it. Where did we stand? Did you not think our interactions went well? Was he even close to getting the tattoo? Did you ever get the email I sent you of the time I spent in the shrine? After almost 200 hours I have to say I had hoped for more.

As for the character itself, going one spec only, and that being hand to hand, was somewhat tough, but often fun. You can read my role on the pbf if you want to see why (and I am still bitter that I didn’t even get an honorable mention in the role contest, Dalteric you bastard!!! ) but it was definitely a hamper when I was being ganged quite so much. When it worked though, it worked well. No complaints.

Oh, there was one druid who I was pretty sure was outlander who I grouped with, killing skeletons. I never really understood that, so if you could, perhaps say how that worked? Really confused me.

That’s it for now I think. I reserve the right to supplement....

Grahnik (Guest)Tue 17-Jan-06 06:27 PM

#44760, "RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..."
In response to Reply #4

I liked your char, I agree with how you played him, and enjoyed the terrible relationship we had. You treated me how YOU should have, and while others didn't "act like a dwarf", you have to understand that you don't know everyone's role, you aren't an imm with the ability to check up on it, and there COULD be reasons why a dwarf would be tolerant of a duergar, and vice versa.

Aside from that, I was looking forward to gaining my "voice" back through the circle. Limiting yourself to just one spec was going to make it easy once I got my legacies, but hey. You go and run off!

Anyhow, may be your last for now, but hope it's not the last forever. You play a good surly dwarf.. and we need more of those (I've played a few in my day, as well)

Grahnik Bledfist

Kaisse (Guest)Tue 17-Jan-06 07:40 PM

#44764, "This much is true"
In response to Reply #5

I likely should have added your rp was solid. The way I push mine is actually me trying to get more bravery into the village (since its a religion based on courage! woo!). I apologise if it came across as too aggressive, but yeah... read below

Definetly dug the 'gully dwarf vs dwarf, in the circle, TONIGHT!' attitude. And this time, its personal.

Kaisse

Kaisse (Guest)Tue 17-Jan-06 07:36 PM

#44762, "It was simply the way you phrased things."
In response to Reply #4

They sounded like demands and orders. Not suggestions. That started at about induction and continued onwards. That combined with the arrogance and the lawyer like phrasing of every single attack you made just had people giving up because you did frustrate them OOC. I don't doubt thats why the 'ooc feeling' you had on people came up so often. Even I was frustrated OOC, so much so I had to cool off before making any decisions encase I just said '#### it' and uninducted you. You just seemed to have a knack for winding people up, and thats were all the bad stuff came from.

There's my opinion. I'm sure you did know better on 90% of things, but the way you did it was really, really annoying. I still shudder.

Kaisse.

ValguarneraTue 17-Jan-06 07:37 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44763, "RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..."
In response to Reply #4

I suspect people would respect your judgement of their roleplay a lot more if you were able to play a character whose OOC personality did not bleed through to the IC persona in such a blatant fashion. I've always been able to spot your mortals after a conversation. I consider that to be fairly damning as far as roleplay, and I think you should get your own house in order before you start slinging stones at other players like this.

Is everyone else perfect? No. Are you better?

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Evil Genius (inactive user)Wed 18-Jan-06 08:03 AM
Charter member
#44776, "RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..."
In response to Reply #7

>I suspect people would respect your judgement of their
>roleplay a lot more if you were able to play a character whose
>OOC personality did not bleed through to the IC persona in
>such a blatant fashion. I've always been able to spot your
>mortals after a conversation. I consider that to be fairly
>damning as far as roleplay, and I think you should get your
>own house in order before you start slinging stones at other
>players like this.
>
>Is everyone else perfect? No. Are you better?
>
>valguarnera@carrionfields.com

I didn't know the character at all, but i'm guessing from the death post and the bossing about of other ragers that it was Graatch?

TacWed 18-Jan-06 10:08 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44780, "I beleive lawyeresque was the comment that solidified i..."
In response to Reply #15

Curdan (Guest)Thu 19-Jan-06 11:19 PM

#44859, "Wisdom from Scarabaeus"
In response to Reply #7

Many years ago, before your time I believe, there was a thread here where someone we will call Poster A (not me) wrote a post pointing out a problem. Poster B, Scarabaeus, responded. Poster A replied to Scarabaeus with some conversation about how Scarabaeus had done something wrong himself on some other, entirely different or tenuously tangential (I don't remember exactly) topic. Scarabaeus responded with something along the lines of: "That's the 'hey! Look over there!' argument. You don't address the points of the post, you address some problem you have with me. Try harder."

That's exactly what you are doing here. The post, and your backhanded insult, entirely ignore the fact that people are behaving completely opposite to their race and class, solely to avoid the drawbacks of those races and classes, so that they can get all the benefits and maximize their convenience.

How do you respond? By complaining about me.

And with untruths I might add. We all know that people like to say they know my chars, but we all know they don't. An easy example (yet again) is Brorderan. There are plenty others. Conversely, anytime some moderately skilled and knowledgeable character comes up, but with whom someone has a beef, that person thinks it is me. I get emails, tells (in game, yes, totally ooc), comments when I happen to stop by #dangeroom, etc. And they just run through lists of current people and ask if it is me.

Of course, when it is in fact me, it would be helpful if you and your pals would do your jobs and actually make people live by their own actions. Make those dwarf killing dwarves pay some price. Make those storm giants who help fire giants pay a price. Make those elves who like to pal around with drow pay a price.

I'm not holding my breath though.

So back up, Valgy, and try to stick to the point, and the truth.

Thanks.

ValguarneraFri 20-Jan-06 09:04 AM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44893, "RE: Same ol', same ol'."
In response to Reply #36

My advice stands. You can take it, and try to improve something that nearly everyone in this thread is telling you, or continue to keep on doing what you do, and retain your inside-joke status.

I don't care, as long as you step down from your self-appointed High Priest of Roleplay role, because you frankly aren't qualified.

Curdan (Guest)Fri 20-Jan-06 12:03 PM

#44905, "Right. Avoid the point. You're good at that."
In response to Reply #37

Thanks for playing though.

nepentheFri 20-Jan-06 02:13 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44910, "I think it's a valid point"
In response to Reply #38

The point being, the standards are reasonably free across the board. We police some people for doing some things. We would never catch everyone doing everything and slap them down, and importantly, more slapping down of people doing things we RPwise don't agree with would add up to more slapping down of you, too.

Would you have had as much fun with Curdan if he'd been thrown out of Battle, had his spec taken away, and been titled something like 'General ####stick' five times? (Not picking on Curdan in specific, I'm just saying.)

I'm not saying you don't produce some cool characters and I'm not saying you don't try, but you have issues with being able to see the mote in everyone's eye but your own. The example that always sticks in my mind is one of your guys (Drillmaster, I can't think of the name off the top of my head) throwing a guy out of Battle for something. For about half a second, seeing that, I was like "Awesome! Clean up Battle!", but then it hit me, "Wait. I saw Drillmaster guy do almost the exact same thing yesterday and he didn't throw himself out."

In your mind, I'm sure every questionable or non-cliche-role thing you do is justified in some way. That's cool. Although they can look dodgy to me at the time, I'm sure there is some reasonable justification. The thing is, it's probably like that for almost everyone else, too, except instead of giving people the benefit of the doubt you start with the idea that they're all powergaming cheeseweasel monkey cheatwhores and begin assembling evidence to prove it.

The less you try to bust people down on your percieved weaknesses in their roleplay, the happier you will be and the more you will enjoy the game. Whoever tries to lay down the law on people comes off as a pompous jackass. Let me bear that cross alone.

Doobage (Guest)Fri 20-Jan-06 03:02 PM

#44914, "You do bear it so well."
In response to Reply #39

Legendarily, perhaps

Curdan (Guest)Fri 20-Jan-06 03:06 PM

#44915, "RE: I think it's a valid point"
In response to Reply #39

First, thank you. Yours is the first actual response to my point, and I appreciate it.

Second, you are right, I probably should not be so upset at perceived problems in others' roleplay. Having said that though, let me make a few comments. It is pretty rare, even for me, to gripe about minor roleplay flaws or mistakes. I make them, everyone makes them, that's life. Rather, my admittedly loud decrying of such things comes when actions are taken that are just egregiously wrong. I think a good example is what I wrote here - and what Aarn incidentally confirmed, though not on purpose, in his commentary - about Darus. As Aarn wrote: "What kind of dwarf attitude is THAT , toward their horrible racial enemy? I can't think of a worse roleplay for a standard dwarf then to not be trying to crush any duergar skull they come across. At the least I expected you to be completely intolerant of them, if you weren't going to come to blows regularly." Which is exactly what I did. How then is someone who is so blatently contradicting that, an indeed being pretty much best friends with a duergar, ok? As I said, if it were inadvertent or only every now and then, I wouldn't comment. But ragers have been doing it all the time for years, storm giants with fire giants, dwarves with duergar, etc., all under the guise of "well, now we are villagers so I just don't care what I am, I can do anything I want to further the cause of killing mages, and I'm happy to be helping that opposite align/racial enemy level, get clothes, tell stories, comb my hair..."

We both know that's just not how it is supposed to be. You and every other staffmember who has ever spoken to it has said so. And so when I see it, done blatantly, repeatedly and deliberately, don't you think it should be addressed?

By the way, what did you think Vershelt did that he kicked someone else for but not himself? I was pretty sure nothing like that happened, or at least nothing that was not subject to other circumstances that made it a different thing even if it might have looked the same.

In any event, I have not had any real desire to play again after this so for now, no more characters from me. If it comes back, it comes back. We'll see.

Curdan (Guest)Fri 20-Jan-06 03:09 PM

#44916, "Forgot something"
In response to Reply #39

One other thing - it is very frustrating to get held to a standard as Aarn did (though he was mistaken in what he thought of Curdan anyway, sorry pal but it's true, ask anyone who knew him, he could not have been more hostile to duergs without killing them), but then watch someone else who is pretty much identical act entirely opposite to that standard, and be untouched by it. In fact, Darus continued to talk about he worshipped Aarn as well. It is galling.

And again, it's not about Darus or any other particular character. It's the pattern of play over the years by people who get into a cabal and just toss away their race and class.

Lightmaged (Guest)Fri 20-Jan-06 03:25 PM

#44917, "And yet you still miss the point...."
In response to Reply #42

No one is really complaining about your pointing out that people arent adhering to your defination of what a well roleplayed character should be.

The problem is the way you go about pointing this out to others. Perhaps lead by example, and maybe others will see your wisdom.

I can always pick out one of your characters....

1)Usually tough as hell.
2)I hear complaints from others about what a smug condenscending jerk you are.
3)They all talk the same.

Well maybe just maybe...there is a pattern developing. You are not without mistakes. Nor do you play perfect villagers. I will take Vershelt for example. Jumping me while I fight another villager, after noticing my pass door just fell. After watching the entire fight realizing it was a duel. You see an opportunity to kill and take it like most others would do.

My last interaction with you was Onaelith. I had a large band of mages I was in constant contact with. Responses were all the same in regards to you. Your fellow villagers would even comment to me about disliking you...A MAGE....that tells me perhaps people dont overly like being talked down upon. Maybe it was your roleplay, so whatever, I wont pass judgement. Back to the hypocisy..I give another example. I would challenge you, fully prepped, to duel me...which you would loose if you accepted. Not bragging, just fact. I taunted the hell out of you. In the past you played a Fortress leader (warrior, I cant recall name of) I WAS WITH YOU AS A CABAL MATE when you challenged a poorly equiped Imperial to a duel at the inn. He refused to show. You berated him, over and over. Not a big diference there.

My roleplay was simply...to piss off villagers. Did I talk smack. Yes. Nothing you couldnt handle.

Overall, I like your chars sometimes. I have never been on the recieving end of your tirades though. I dont think I would tolerate such.

Realizing you will have an answer for anything people suggest or bring forward, I suggest perhaps you take a step back...Say to yourself...HRM, people dont seem to like being talked down to....then start again.

Cheers

Curdan (Guest)Fri 20-Jan-06 04:08 PM

#44920, "RE: And yet you still miss the point...."
In response to Reply #43

>No one is really complaining about your pointing out that
>people arent adhering to your defination of what a well
>roleplayed character should be.
>

Not my definition, the game's definition. The staff's. The helpfiles. Everything. And I've said before and say again now, it is entirely possible that there will be the rare character who actually has a role that explains why they are acting against their race or class; why for instance, a dwarf not only does not hate duergar, but likes them, why a storm giant is happy to help fire giants, why an elf is happy to help drow, etc. But I've looked at these people's roles on the pbf, I've played with them in-game and asked, and they don't. They just use the easy and useless rationalization that it's all for the good of fighting the war against magi so that trumps anything and everything and I can do whatever the hell I want. Which is, of course, ####.

>The problem is the way you go about pointing this out to
>others. Perhaps lead by example, and maybe others will see
>your wisdom.
>

Been there, done that. Never works. At least being vocal about it gets it aired and sometimes, sometimes, things change.

>I can always pick out one of your characters....
>
>1)Usually tough as hell.
>2)I hear complaints from others about what a smug
>condenscending jerk you are.
>3)They all talk the same.
>

No, you can't, and no, they don't. I've given examples and discussed before so I won't again. But you're wrong.

>Well maybe just maybe...there is a pattern developing. You
>are not without mistakes. Nor do you play perfect villagers.
>I will take Vershelt for example. Jumping me while I fight
>another villager, after noticing my pass door just fell.
>After watching the entire fight realizing it was a duel. You
>see an opportunity to kill and take it like most others would
>do.
>

You have some real problems. Exactly how does someone know a fight is a "duel" (whatever that means) when someone just walks by and sees people fighting? And how would anyone know when your pass door fell, if you just walk by and see it isn't there? And, lastly, just because something happens doesn't mean it was deliberate. Sometimes people just make a mistake. Like attacking when they think someone is not fighting, but they are, like putting in commands before you get there, stacked, etc. The few times this happened to Vershelt there were apologies or circle fights to resolve them. Vershelt never broke any of the ganging rules (that you seem to be trying to invoke) on purpose, and only very rarely by mistake. Go look at his group ratio. So no, I don't see an opportunity to kill and take it like most others. I take opportunities that are within the role, meaning a berserker for Vershelt.

>My last interaction with you was Onaelith. I had a large band
>of mages I was in constant contact with. Responses were all
>the same in regards to you. Your fellow villagers would even
>comment to me about disliking you...A MAGE....that tells me
>perhaps people dont overly like being talked down upon. Maybe
>it was your roleplay, so whatever, I wont pass judgement.
>Back to the hypocisy..I give another example. I would
>challenge you, fully prepped, to duel me...which you would
>loose if you accepted. Not bragging, just fact. I taunted
>the hell out of you. In the past you played a Fortress leader
> warrior, I cant recall name of) I WAS WITH YOU AS A CABAL
>MATE when you challenged a poorly equiped Imperial to a duel
>at the inn. He refused to show. You berated him, over and
>over. Not a big diference there.
>

First, I would not necessarily lose. You fled from me several times. Second, I taunted you. Third, you would lie in character all the time, so how would anyone know when Challenge B for a "duel" is valid when Challenge A ended up being a gang? And your example is entirely different. You were a proven liar. You would say one on one but actually make it two or three on one. My fortress leader - Aemelius I assume - never did that, never lied, never ganged when he said it would be one on one. That's just one obvious difference. You can't seem to grasp things like that.

>My roleplay was simply...to piss off villagers. Did I talk
>smack. Yes. Nothing you couldnt handle.
>
>Overall, I like your chars sometimes. I have never been on
>the recieving end of your tirades though. I dont think I
>would tolerate such.
>

You don't get tirades because you either go quiet or are always in form. Try playing something that can get tells from people half the time.

>Realizing you will have an answer for anything people suggest
>or bring forward, I suggest perhaps you take a step back...Say
>to yourself...HRM, people dont seem to like being talked down
>to....then start again.
>

People don't like being talked down to? Wow. Thanks for the tip. There would be no need for it if people would be (a) honest, (b) play within the bounds of the races and classes they chose, and (c) were hit with consequences for failing to do b.

As an aside, your taunting never got under anyone's skin in the cabal that I know of. Everyone just thought you were a punk for talking smack when you would run the instant your preps fell or were even close to falling, but we would fight you without. Hell, the only time you killed me was when we didn't have the head. You rock.

>Cheers

TacFri 20-Jan-06 04:32 PM
2050 posts
#44923, "Summary: I'm always right, everyone else is always wro..."
In response to Reply #44

The end. I'm a lawyer, and therefore to argue and not prove myself correct (even if it is just because the opposition is tired of listening to me speak) is beyond my capabilities. I am also a roleplay god, all you mere mortals should stop playing your stupid as twink character and start following the helpfiles exactly, like each and every one of my characters do, except for when I don't follow them, and in those cases I have a perfectly justified reason or it was an honest mistake, which is totally unlike when you break them because everyone knows you are all powergamers who have no regard for roleplay like me. Just because I argue with all the insane vehemence of a religious zealot and am totally unwilling to listen to or appreciate opposing viewpoints doesn't mean I'm angry, if anything I'm perfectly calm, but should be angry because all you ####ers can't see the simple truth that I'm always right and you are only right in so far as you agree with me or that I can twist your words so that they seem to support my viewpoint even though it is obvious to anyone that isn't me that it wasn't your inent to support me at all. By making large and complex sentences that obfuscate the issues and generally sound like they belong more in legal documents and papers all my characters become instantly recognizable except for those character that weren't and in regards to the first part make me sound extra intelligent and further prove my point that no one but me can be right because I can out argue you or at least fillibuster you until you give up under the obviously falsified claim that it isn't worth it when you really know deep in your jealous hearts that I am right.

-I don't expect anyone to appreciate my humor, but I amuse myself with it, and that's enough for me.-

Curdan (Guest)Fri 20-Jan-06 04:42 PM

#44925, "That was funny."
In response to Reply #45

Misguided, but funny.

Just for the record, as they say, I don't assume that people deliberately do the wrong thing all the time. I usually assume, that like myself, mistakes get made. I admit them. I generally do whatever the role would require to make up for it. What I do in fact do though, is notice when it becomes a pattern, rather than an abberration.

Which was the point I was tyring to make about Vershelt and other ragers. We all make mistakes. But just like nobody should get kicked for one or two gangs, they should if it becomes clear that that is how they behave normally. It's about judgment and pattern and the character. I only kick and scream about people when it shifts from those mistakes to the obvious pattern.

Do you really disagree with that? And, for the 47th time, if they have a role that explains such deviant behavior, then great. But so far none of them have. None of those ragers who avoid the race/class drawbacks actually had a role that would allow for it or explain it.

So tell me, that's ok with you?

A2Fri 20-Jan-06 05:25 PM
371 posts
#44927, "RE: That was funny."
In response to Reply #46
Edited on Fri 20-Jan-06 06:07 PM

No, what's funny is it's dead on. Yes, in the #dr, when one of us interacts with one of your chars, it's get guessed immediately. They are always condecending, abrasive, and pompous. If you played a char other than yourself, I'd say you were solid. You also aren't innocently trying to get people to adhere to the helpfiles or proper roleplay, you used your own role to take a cheapshot at people who like their dwarves to speak with an accent. Your thinly veiled OOC comments to try and point out the errors of others, makes you no better, in fact worse. Two wrongs don't make a right, but you don't even *know* what they were doing was wrong in the first place. I would say your characters have annoyed me, but it's been you, it's been the same attitude, so it's you the player. Since the days of *snip* (I ####ing hated you then when we were both in dawn and I didn't even know who "*snip*" was). Tell me how it's solid roleplay to immediately upon induction into a cabal start telling people how it's supposed to be, regardless of whether or not you're right. You also don't discuss anything. You are one of those people who says what he thinks, then while the other person is talking is not listening, just waiting to tell that person how they're wrong.

It's like you're colorblind, with one hundred people standing around telling you the f'ing sky is blue, all the while you stand there and keep saying "No it's not! It's brown! I can see it, why can't you?!"

Lightmaged (Guest)Fri 20-Jan-06 05:44 PM

#44928, "No you rock!"
In response to Reply #44

Exits: east west]
Mitrassek the duergar is here.
An adventurer is here, trying to get a party to brave the Feanwyyn Weald.

1381hp 512m 532mv 24350tnl 10 PM Mitrassek yells 'Help I am being attacked by a falcon '
Mitrassek dodges your claw.
Mitrassek is in perfect health.

1381hp 512m 532mv 24350tnl 10 PM
The lightning has stopped.

1381hp 512m 532mv 24350tnl 11 PM peck

You dodge Mitrassek's wrath.
You dodge Mitrassek's crushing force.

1381hp 512m 532mv 24350tnl 11 PM where

Mitrassek spins the shaft of an unholy axe, 'Nightbringer', hitting you with its points.
Mitrassek's whirling axe wounds you.

1363hp 512m 532mv 24350tnl 11 PM
Your claw EVISCERATES Mitrassek
Mitrassek has a few scratches.

1363hp 512m 532mv 24350tnl 11 PM where

You feel solid again.

1366hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM You peck at Mitrassek with your beak.
Your pecking beak mauls Mitrassek.

1366hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM peck

Vershelt has arrived.
1366hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM
Mitrassek's crushing force hits you.
Mitrassek parries your claw.

1354hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM
Mitrassek drives his axes into both sides of your body, stunning you.
Mitrassek's brutal attack wounds you.

1318hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM
Bruggadon has arrived.

Vershelt looks more enlightened.

1318hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM where

Palvehel has arrived.

Bruggadon looks at you.

Mitrassek's wrath wounds you.
1300hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM
Bruggadon looks at Mitrassek.
Vershelt looks at you.

1300hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM where

Palvehel looks at Mitrassek.

1300hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM People near you:
(PK) Mitrassek Outside the West Gate
(PK) Palvehel Outside the West Gate
Bruggadon Outside the West Gate
(PK) a falcon Outside the West Gate
(PK) Vershelt Outside the West Gate
Jinhill Inside the North Gate

1300hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM People near you:
Jinhill Inside the North Gate

1300hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM You peck at Mitrassek with your beak.
Mitrassek has some small but disgusting cuts.

1300hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM
Mitrassek delivers a blow of deadly force
Mitrassek's wrath MASSACRES you

1234hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM peck
People near you:
Your claw DISMEMBERS Mitrassek

1234hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM Palvehel leaves east.
People near you:
(PK) Palvehel Inside the West Gate
Vershelt leaves west.

1234hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 11 PM You peck at Mitrassek with your beak.

1234hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 12 AM
Mitrassek stops using a notched axe with a wicked blade.

Mitrassek stops using an unholy axe, 'Nightbringer'.
You deftly duck under Mitrassek's punch.
You dodge Mitrassek's punch.
A tattoo of a Gaping Maw purses it's lips.
A glob of slime is ejected from your lips aimed at the eyes of Mitrassek
Mitrassek narrowly avoids your spit

Mitrassek gets a wild look in his eyes.

Vershelt has arrived.

1234hp 500m 557mv 24350tnl 12 AM where
1237hp 488m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM People near you:
(PK) Palvehel Dark Alley

1237hp 488m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM Mitrassek tries to hit a vital area but misses.
Mitrassek's blow to a vital area misses you.

1237hp 488m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM

Mitrassek tries to hit a vital area but misses.

1237hp 488m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM where

Vershelt looks at Mitrassek.

Whilan Outside the East Gate
(PK) Palvehel In a Room

1237hp 488m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM peck

1237hp 488m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM You peck at Mitrassek with your beak.

Mitrassek tries to hit a vital area but misses.

1237hp 488m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM where

Vershelt's poisonous bite MASSACRES the bold adventurer
Your claw DISMEMBERS Mitrassek
Vershelt's poisonous bite MASSACRES the bold adventurer
The bold adventurer is DEAD
The bold adventurer spills her guts all over the floor.
Vershelt sacrifices the corpse of the bold adventurer to the gods.

(PK) Palvehel Dark Alley

The door closes.
Mitrassek weakens you with a blow to a vital area.
Mitrassek's blow to a vital area hits you.

1228hp 488m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM
Mitrassek's punch hits you.
A tattoo of a Gaping Maw purses it's lips.
A glob of slime is ejected from your lips aimed at the eyes of Mitrassek
Mitrassek narrowly avoids your spit

1216hp 488m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM invoke lyristeon
A tattoo of a Gaping Maw howls a piercing sound
The eyes of Mitrassek cross, then float aimlessly

1216hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM
Mitrassek pummels you with his fists.
Mitrassek's pummeling blow hits you.
Mitrassek's pummeling blow hits you.
Mitrassek's punch misses you.

1195hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM where
People near you:
(PK) Palvehel Inside the West Gate

1195hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM peck

Mitrassek is covered with bleeding wounds.

1195hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM
The door opens.
You peck at Mitrassek with your beak.

1195hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM Palvehel has arrived.
Vershelt looks at you.

1195hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM where

1195hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM People near you:

You peck at Mitrassek with your beak.
Your pecking beak wounds Mitrassek.

Whilan has arrived.

Mitrassek wields an unholy axe, 'Nightbringer'.

Mitrassek dual wields a notched axe with a wicked blade.

Mitrassek tries some fancy axe-work, but just whacks his axes together.
Mitrassek's brutal attack misses you.

Palvehel looks at Mitrassek.

Whilan looks at you.
Bruggadon yawns.

1195hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM You peck at Mitrassek with your beak.

Palvehel looks at you.

Bruggadon looks at you.

Whilan looks at Mitrassek.

Baltas has arrived.

Mitrassek's wrath injures you.

1180hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM
Mitrassek mutters something quietly to himself.

1180hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 12 AM where

Baltas leaves east.

1180hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 1 AM peck
People near you:
Baltas Inside the West Gate
Whilan Outside the West Gate
Caverna Trade Road

1180hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 1 AM
Vershelt looks at you.

The moon changes and begins a full phase.

1180hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 1 AM You peck at Mitrassek with your beak.

Bruggadon says 'Him just gonna fly away when get hurt yup sure will'

1180hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 1 AM where

Mitrassek drives his axes into both sides of your body, stunning you.

1144hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 1 AM
Mitrassek's wrath injures you.
Mitrassek's crushing force injures you.
Mitrassek knocks your claw aside before it gets near him.

1114hp 438m 582mv 24350tnl 1 AM
Palvehel's hunger hits him.
Your force shield shimmers then fades away.

1117hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 1 AM
Palvehel says 'once mitrassek flee's vershelt yer gonna bash him?'

Vershelt says 'yah'

Caverna has arrived.

Mitrassek's crushing force wounds you.

1100hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 1 AM
Caverna looks at you.

1100hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 1 AM People near you:
Caverna Outside the West Gate

Vershelt snorts derisively at Palvehel.

1100hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 1 AM snort
Caverna looks at Mitrassek.

1100hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 1 AM where
You snort in general at the room.

1100hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 1 AM Whilan nods at Bruggadon.

1100hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 1 AM People near you:
Caverna Outside the West Gate

Vershelt says 'bash bird?'

Vershelt says 'dumb'

Bruggadon nods at Whilan.

Mitrassek stops using a notched axe with a wicked blade.

Mitrassek stops using an unholy axe, 'Nightbringer'.

Mitrassek lands a stunning blow on you and you pass out

1100hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 1 AM aff
You are affected by:
Commune: 'swiftness' modifies save vs paralysis by -14 for 59 hours.
Spell: 'bless' modifies save vs spell by -10 for 32 hours.
Spell: 'bless' modifies hit roll by 5 for 32 hours.
Spell: 'protection from evil' for 18 hours.
Spell: 'aura' modifies armor class by -30 for 13 hours.
Spell: 'haste' modifies dexterity by 4 for 11 hours.
Physical effect: 'whirl' modifies dexterity by -6 for 9 hours.
Physical effect: 'whirl' modifies strength by -6 for 9 hours.
Skill: 'vital area' modifies strength by -6 for 5 hours.
Commune: 'resist mental' for 3 hours.
Commune: 'resist heat' for 3 hours.
Spell: 'giant strength' modifies strength by 4 for 3 hours.
Skill: 'stun' for 2 hours.
Commune: 'resist cold' for 2 hours.
Commune: 'resist acid' for 2 hours.
Commune: 'resist negative' for 2 hours.
Spell: 'stone skin' modifies armor class by -60 for 2 hours.
Commune: 'sanctuary' for 0 hours.
Skill: 'water breathing' for -1 hours.

1100hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 1 AM aff
You are affected by:

1100hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 2 AM aff
You are affected by:

*Ok Ok..pass door is down. Everything is dropping so I guess I should go put up some protections. Vershelt knows im not translucent but he is a villager and Im already fighting, so he wont interfere.*

1100hp 426m 607mv 24350tnl 2 AM
The white aura around your body fades.

1146hp 402m 677mv 24350tnl 3 AM
Mitrassek's brutal attack DISMEMBERS you
Mitrassek's brutal attack misses you.
You make some noise as you are attacked.

1090hp 402m 677mv 24350tnl 3 AM aff

Vershelt sends you sprawling with a powerful bash
Vershelt's bash injures you.
You make some noise as you are attacked.

1075hp 402m 677mv 24350tnl 3 AM fly
You dodge Vershelt's poisonous bite.
You dodge Vershelt's black light.
You dodge Vershelt's poisonous bite.
You dodge Vershelt's black light.

1075hp 402m 677mv 24350tnl 3 AM You are affected by:
Commune: 'swiftness' modifies save vs paralysis by -14 for 57 hours.
Spell: 'bless' modifies save vs spell by -10 for 30 hours.
Spell: 'bless' modifies hit roll by 5 for 30 hours.
Spell: 'protection from evil' for 16 hours.
Spell: 'aura' modifies armor class by -30 for 11 hours.
Spell: 'haste' modifies dexterity by 4 for 9 hours.
Physical effect: 'whirl' modifies dexterity by -6 for 7 hours.
Physical effect: 'whirl' modifies strength by -6 for 7 hours.
Skill: 'vital area' modifies strength by -6 for 3 hours.
Commune: 'resist mental' for 1 hours.
Commune: 'resist heat' for 1 hours.
Spell: 'giant strength' modifies strength by 4 for 1 hours.
Commune: 'resist cold' for 0 hours.
Commune: 'resist acid' for 0 hours.
Commune: 'resist negative' for 0 hours.
Spell: 'stone skin' modifies armor class by -60 for 0 hours.

1075hp 402m 677mv 24350tnl 3 AM Vershelt gets in one more shot as you flee.
Vershelt delivers a blow of deadly force
Vershelt's parting blow *** DEVASTATES *** you
Mitrassek gets in one more shot as you flee.
Mitrassek's parting blow MUTILATES you
You flap your wings and soar up above.
Far above the city of Galadon
The air rushing under your wings is cold and crisp. You slow
the flapping of your wings and glide for a moment, to marvel
once again at the view. No matter how many times you see it,
the view from above the clouds still invokes a childlike
reverence in you. It is as if the clouds themselves form a
whole new tier of land high above Thera, of rolling white
hills with a few dark thunderheads scattered among them.
Approaching a break in the clouds, you look down at the world
below you. A city marked by four towers at its corners lies
surrounded by squares of yellow and green land, with haphazard
forests lying farther to the south and west. The buildings of
the city seem so tiny from up here, the people walking its
streets nothing more than ants. From up here, the city you
know as Galadon seems small and insignificant, a far cry from
what those bound to the earth seem to think. Even the majestic
Voralia's Tears is nothing more than a thin blue line from this
height, running from the eastern horizon into the treetops to the
west.

Curdan (Guest)Sat 21-Jan-06 12:01 AM

#44946, "RE: No you rock!"
In response to Reply #48

Your own post proves you wrong in pretty much everything.

1. You said I saw your pass door fail. Look again. It fell. Then I entered the room. Far as I know it was down the whole time.

2. You said I jumped in while you were fighting an obvious duel. Look again. I watched you fight him without doing anything.

3. You said you were fighting so I wouldn't. Look again, you were stunned and asleep. That's pretty much not fighting. Mitrassek had said on the cb that he was leaving and I was going to fight, we had a misunderstanding and so we both started at the same time. I had the flee typed in but you of course fled before any of my commands could go off.

4. You need to let it go, you've been wrong on all counts on this stuff. Play a rager. Understand rager ideals. Ragers are there to kill mages. First and foremost. That's the big page they live on. They put a box in that page and live in that box, which curtails them. That box is the *how* they go about killing mages, which is with courage. You and others who never play ragers or just don't get it, just don't get the concept that we are killers of mages. You talk about how "cheap" it is to attack a mage who was fighting someone else, who is hurt from some fight. And yet that's exactly what you do all the time. And why shouldn't a rager do that? He wants to kill you. Period. He should only fight people who are totally healthy, totally prepared? You get caught hurt and not already fighting someone - actually fighting someone - then you are fair game. End of story.

5. I'm done on this part of the thread, answer as you wish, you can have the last word if you want.

Lightmaged (Guest)Sat 21-Jan-06 01:10 AM

#44950, "Last word. n/t"
In response to Reply #49

n/t

VladamirTue 17-Jan-06 07:44 PM
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#44765, "RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..."
In response to Reply #4

>Here’s what playing Curdan demonstrated most: cf players and
>staff do not, for lack of a better phrase, put their money
>where their mouths are. In short, people play for convenience
>and ease, regardless of the appropriateness, and while it is
>commonly noted, harangued, chastised or otherwise negatively
>remarked upon after a character has died, it is never actually
>addressed, in game, and so the problem lies equally if not
>more with the staff. Allow me to explain.

I'm with you 100%.

>
>Nepenthe’s comment on the pbf was incorrect, in part. Curdan
>did not so much order people around from the start just
>randomly or to do specific things - though that came later,
>sure, when people would do stupid ####. No, what Curdan did
>was to tell people in an ic way that they were letting ooc
>desires overrule the ic restrictions of their characters. But
>nobody likes to be reminded when they are doing something
>wrong, especially when they know they are doing it wrong but
>want to keep on doing it wrong, as many do in the game.

Meh, but you were going OOC by doing it too, don't you see? I mean, I agree that powergaming humans in other race suits is bad, but thats what the staff is for. Notes, prays etc are all good tools for bringing to their attention things they may miss, because we outnumber them to a pretty large extent. They can't be everywhere at once. Of course their need to hound me 24/7 probably cuts into the time they could spend on actually busting cheaters, but thats neither here nor there.

>Darus is a perfect example (but by no means the only or even
>the worst, just the one that Curdan dealt with most). He,
>like Curdan, is a dwarf. But Darus wanted to get all of the
>good things playing the dwarf race gives, but not be hindered
>by all of the consequences being a dwarf is supposed to bring.
> Before you can say “alignment and race do not get checked at
>the door when you are inducted into a cabal,” the rager he was
>running around with most was a duergar. A duergar! What’s
>more, he would go kill other dwarves for equ, especially the
>crazy dwarf Dern.

Dwarves in the Fortress ask for help killing Dern almost daily. Overall it's pretty piss-poor rp, but anytime you bitch about it to the staff they invoke "game mechanics" as why they don't do anything. Nevermind the fact that if the person can't get the eq without killing someone they really ought to not be, then maybe they shouldn't ####ing have it. But again, thats the minority opinion.

>
>Now I am sure there will be hue and outcry but let’s be
>honest, absent a real role of somehow being anti your own
>people for some convoluted story or something, there just is
>no reason a dwarf should be killing another dwarf, just for
>some clothes. ..... Well, you are
>a dwarf, too.
>

Okay, I think the points made.

>Same goes for grouping with the duergar, for non-village
>things. Sure, you are in a raid? Or defending? Ok, you suck
>it up, with distaste. But going out and exploring together?
>Mob killing for equ together? Leveling? Come on.

Yep. Tres crappy. Did you pray, note, talk to an imm?

>For nine years now it has constantly come up the staff has
>repeatedly reiterated that just because you are in a cabal you
>don’t just forget your alignment and your race. The first
>time it came up that I recall was when I was in Masters.
>After one incident Twist sent the note to the cabal saying
>that people are who they were born, and that you come together
>for your common goal and so you aren’t at each other’s
>throats, but that doesn’t mean you are chummy or friendly or
>even happy about it, either. Kastellyn has written virtually
>the same thing only a year or so ago. And even on a
>battlefield thread not long ago it came up when a particular
>storm giant rager (Asomething, I forget) was grouping with a
>fire giant and others to help them rank. The staff just
>happened not to notice enough, so the battlefield thread said,
>but had they, there would have been consequences.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people will openly and repeatedly piss all over their roles, cabal guidelines, religion beliefs but I can accept eq from someone in the same cabal as me and wind up in the ROTD because a character I let autodelete over a month before grouped a lot with someone elses character way back when. Selective enforcement is alive and well in CF. You either accept it, or you stop playing.

>
>But, as usual, ......

Okay now you're just repeating yourself.

>But these things never get challenged. And when they do, by
>players like myself or a few others, we get flack, because
>even though we have the right of it, there is nothing to back
>it up from the game staff, so people just keep on doing it as
>they want and get mad at you for mucking it up. People *want*
>to be able to have the strongest characters and groups, so
>they don’t like it when a role restriction ####s that up.
>They want to have you ignore your race and alignment or
>whatever else so that you can just go with the flow and make
>it easy for everyone to get what they want. So when you
>actually play it like it should be, or even close, nobody is
>happy and what often happened with Curdan, happens.

Well to be blunt the problem with Curdan wasn't because you played it as it should have been. You really were over the top sometimes with the bitching IC. I feel your frustration, but sometimes it really is best to just bite your tongue, have a drink and calm down before going off.

>A few personal comments.
>
>Ghutaal. In my almost ten years here I can safely say you
>were in the top five most annoying people to interact with,
>ever. No, I did not have any trigger to respond to you. I
>have never had any triggers, ever, other than for weapon
>disarms. I asked you in ten different ic ways to just shut
>the hell up and stop talking to me, but you wouldn’t stop, so
>I just responded the same way over and over, hoping that would
>keep you quiet. It didn’t work. You are the best example for
>why the “quiet” command should be tweaked to allow it to work
>on specific individuals.

I'm in 100% agreement with your accessment of Ghutaal, and in a need to allow quiet to be targeted. I've been begging for this one for years.

>Aarn. You commented on Omeran’s battlefield thread but not
>mine, so perhaps you were looking to be silent rather than
>speak ill, but I can take it. Where did we stand? Did you not
>think our interactions went well? Was he even close to getting
>the tattoo? Did you ever get the email I sent you of the time
>I spent in the shrine? After almost 200 hours I have to say I
>had hoped for more.

I learned the hard way there are some imms who it's just too time intensive to bother chasing them trying to get empowerment/advancement with empowerment/tattoos/immteraction out of. Keep a mental note of who falls into this category, and play and plan your roles accordingly.

>Oh, there was one druid who I was pretty sure was outlander
>who I grouped with, killing skeletons. I never really
>understood that, so if you could, perhaps say how that worked?
> Really confused me.

So you let someone else throw roleplay out the window to get your own advancement. Thats the same thing you griped about other people doing. Thats kind of not cool. As long as it works in your favor you clam up, but when it doesn't you get mad. You can't have it both ways man.

>That’s it for now I think. I reserve the right to
>supplement....

As well you should. Good solid character, good berserker, but I think you maybe took more responsibility for other peoples actions than you should have. You probably would have had a lot more fun if you would just accept that there are some things about the game you don't like, and focused on the things you DO like.

Peanut Gallery (Guest)Wed 18-Jan-06 09:15 AM

#44777, "One comment worth noting."
In response to Reply #9

"Selective enforcement is alive and well in CF. You either accept it, or you stop playing."

And this statement here sums up where a significant amount of immortal conspiracy theories come from. Player X does act A and nothing bad happens. Player Y does act A and is uninducted/poorly titled, etc.

Is it too much to ask for some consistency without hearing the "We can't be everywhere at once" line? Is it too much to get a definitive answer or guidelines of what is/isn't acceptable racial/cabal/ethos RP, and consequently, what the penalties are for then engaging in that unacceptable behavior?

Getting back to the thread I can say if Graatch says something, its a fair bet to assume he more often then not knows what he is talking about, despite the ass he comes across as when trying to say it.

TacWed 18-Jan-06 10:15 AM
2050 posts
#44781, "This is not worth noting."
In response to Reply #16

You won't notice me standing up for the imms very often, but this is just sad. Especially since you didn't have the balls to post as your handle. Vlad is entitled to his opinion on whether or not the imms are screwing him, and I don't know or care one way or the other, but for you to come and construe that into how immspiracy stuff is born is unneccessary. If player X does A and doesn't get hammered, their is more than likely a reason that has nothing OOC about it. Their role, personality, or whatever could be the deciding factor between getting away with A, and getting smacked down for A. If you want to believe that it is because of X's and Y's players, you're welcome to it, but don't spout that garbage on the forum. The simplest explanation is that no Imm saw Y do A, so "we can't be everywhere at once" is pretty ####ing beleivable.

If you're going to raise immspiracy spectre's, use ones that have some semblance of legitamacy... like nod use of the vlad string in character names.

Tac

p.s. Peanut Gallery has balls size of peanuts. Flame On!

Peanut Gallery. (Guest)Wed 18-Jan-06 10:24 AM

#44782, "You missed the point."
In response to Reply #20

It wasn't that conspiracy was going on, it was that this is where the appearance comes from.

Being that you are an ex-imm your willingness to defend them against a non-existant accusation is not surprising.

So to sum it up. No one said that there was cheating or conspiracy, only that these situations like Vlad said give the appearance of it.

TacWed 18-Jan-06 10:34 AM
2050 posts
#44785, "The point is you are sackless."
In response to Reply #21

Also, I already made an insanely long and involved thread on where immspiracy's that aren't completely imagined come from.

Ohh, and I don't know who you think that I am, but I'm NOT an ex-imm.

I've never even sent a note asking to become an imm.

I'll not be clogging up this "battlefield thread" anymore because of you, but if you're going to post meaningless and factually wrong drivel, have the balls to do it with a handle so we can at least know who is being stupid and ignore them from now on.

ValguarneraWed 18-Jan-06 10:58 AM
6904 posts
#44787, "RE: You missed the point."
In response to Reply #21

1) Vlad was pulled into the Realm of the Dead (more than once) for very good reasons. He got a warning and no other punishment, which I think was light for at least one of those cases. That's all I'm willing to say in a public forum, and I'm only willing to say that much because he insisted on injecting it into an unrelated discussion. If Vlad wants to take it up with the staff, imps@carrionfields.com is over there. Otherwise, keep that crap off of Curdan's Battlefield thread. I'll be deleting further discussion along those lines.

Being that you are an ex-imm your willingness to defend them against a non-existant accusation is not surprising.

2) Have you read Tac's previous posts? Framing him as someone that blindly supports all of the decisions of the staff is ridiculous. He's got plenty of his own opinions, and he's willing to post as both pro- and anti-.

Peanut Gallery (Guest)Wed 18-Jan-06 11:01 AM

#44788, "I stand corrected about Tac."
In response to Reply #26

And I am done posting on this thread. I thought Vlad made a valid point about inconsistencies is all.

The Forsaken- (Guest)Tue 17-Jan-06 08:23 PM

#44766, "What was your last name?"
In response to Reply #4

Heh. That Voogle can be funny when he's not TRYING TO RUIN CARRIONFIELDS FOR THE REST OF US. I'm funny, too.

ValguarneraWed 18-Jan-06 01:56 AM
6904 posts
#44775, "RE: What was your last name?"
In response to Reply #10

I think it was "the Living Weapon" or something similar.

It's like DurNominator's point about not writing a role entry asking for special Aarn-forged gauntlets. We're not going to create a pattern where the player who nominates themselves for the most rewards wins.

Old school (Guest)Tue 17-Jan-06 09:14 PM

#44768, "I disagree"
In response to Reply #4

There have been plenty of times where villagers have disagreed with what other members were doing and handled it in very rager-like manner.

Your problem is you tried to correct non-rager problems. There is nothing wrong with Darus a dwarf grouping with a duergar. Nothing in the dwarf help files says dwarfs cannot group with duergars. This is afterall a roleplaying game. Darus may not value his dwarfness as much as his magic-hating. If you want to play a hardcore dwarf that sticks only to other dwraves and such, you can. But when you try to tell someone else how to play, don't expect them to agree with you. Your character IC can be mad and look down at him.

I think you spent to much time telling people how to play their character instead of playing yours and enjoying it. If you do a good job with a role and belief, it is amazing, people in CF often notice and try to emulate. When you complain and bitch and think you know everything, you get the ole "Arolin" treatment

nepentheWed 18-Jan-06 12:17 AM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44771, "RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..."
In response to Reply #4

I'm going to make a few observations. Don't take me to be attacking you; I think there's a lot of good in your play and I'm trying to salvage that.

>Nepenthe’s comment on the pbf was incorrect, in part. Curdan
>did not so much order people around from the start just
>randomly or to do specific things - though that came later,
>sure, when people would do stupid ####.

You did tell a lot of people in the cabal what to do from even the first day, including about what they should be doing as Battle. I remember listening to the cabal channel the first day you were inducted and thinking to myself (having no idea yet who the player was), "This guy comes across like he's had a hundred ragers and he knows better than everyone else how the cabal should be played. Wait. Let me read his role to see if it goes in that direction. It somewhat does, but it still comes off to me more like a player who's played Battle a hundred times and wants to set everyone straight." I think I'm as close to an impartial observer as you're going to get at that moment in time and it came off that way to me.

I watched for a few days, curious to see if you'd get thrown out of the cabal for sassing the wrong person. I was wanting to play Battle around that time, but I decided that playing the cabal with a guy who was going to tell everyone else what to do and apparently get away with it didn't seem like fun, so I found something else to do with my free time.

So there's that. Right or wrong, black or white, as another player, I just did not want to play with you. It seemed like a lot more headache than fun.

>Kaisse. I have mixed feelings about you. You like to trot
>out your character’s personal philosophical beliefs, but you
>get upset when anyone else does it, as though your position as
>commander makes you somehow the only one allowed to talk about
>your sphere or your beliefs, and everyone else is not just
>wrong, but being insubordinate by disagreeing.

I wanted to pick this out because it's interesting. I've watched Kaisse, and I never get this impression from him.

That said, I almost always get it from you with nearly every character, including Curdan. If it's obnoxious to you to deal with a character that comes off that way, again. Try not to be that guy.

>Also, we both
>know that Kastellyn just recently (last few months)
>re-informed everyone that you just don’t refuse challenges to
>the circle, that to do so is cowardly and ragers are not
>cowards. There can be consequences for mis-using the circle,
>but they come after it has been done, because a challenge is a
>challenge and you fight it like the warriors ragers are. When
>Kigan refused to come, you and I both know you should have
>done something pretty harsh for showing cowardice.

I saw part of this. At the time of the challenge, Kigan was in the middle of fighting mages, if I don't misremember. I think it would be hard to say "Putting killing mages first is not a valid Battle roleplay."

The thing that usually makes you hard to deal with is that while your character's choices and roleplay are generally solid, you refuse to accept that someone else could have a view other than yours and also be making a valid choice for their character.

Peanut Gallery (Guest)Wed 18-Jan-06 09:18 AM

#44778, "Hehe."
In response to Reply #12

"I was wanting to play Battle around that time"

We all know you were playing Battle around this time, Nep, if not still

nepentheWed 18-Jan-06 09:51 AM
3430 posts
#44779, "RE: Hehe."
In response to Reply #17

I'm tempted to say "You couldn't even make it through January, much less 2006", but I guess playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego might not be universally viewed as asinine or an attack.

Anyway, this is Curdan's show, not yours or mine.

Peanut Gallery (Guest)Wed 18-Jan-06 10:26 AM

#44783, "You could."
In response to Reply #18

But then you'd be proving my repeated points that player IP is something you watch very closely.

Peanut Gallery (Guest)Wed 18-Jan-06 10:33 AM

#44784, "But we are off track."
In response to Reply #22

I thought the char was solid.

nepentheWed 18-Jan-06 10:56 AM
3430 posts
#44786, "Nah."
In response to Reply #22

Forum post tone isn't hard to read, though.

Think of IP as being like DNA testing and honestly, you're not far off. The police don't randomly DNA test everyone in a city to see if they commited a crime. It's more a way to be sure when they already think they know who it is.

Alander (Guest)Wed 18-Jan-06 12:17 PM

#44792, "I always thought"
In response to Reply #25

Back when I was an immortal on Rivers of Mud, when characters logged in, their IP address automatically popped up with their name. You could set it to basically do that when any player logged on or off. I assume that same feature is still in since CF is a Diku ROM game.

nepentheWed 18-Jan-06 12:35 PM
3430 posts
#44793, "RE: I always thought"
In response to Reply #29

I think we're from an earlier version of ROM than that.

I definitely can see a player's IP no problem if I choose to. I just have better things to do than do that or dig around in logs to make something of that piece of information for no reason.

nepentheWed 18-Jan-06 12:38 PM
3430 posts
#44794, "Aside:"
In response to Reply #30

If you get a few beers in BoltThrower, he can tell some amusing stories about the real Alander.

GinGaWed 18-Jan-06 08:57 PM
996 posts
#44799, "Now I'm curious..."
In response to Reply #31

Go on, tell it You know you want to!

Yhorian.

DurNominatorWed 18-Jan-06 12:50 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44772, "My comments"
In response to Reply #4

I didn't have any interactions with Curdan, but I have read your role, and therefore I will comment it.

Curdan looks forward to continued learning and hardening, as he proves his worth both to the world - his people at home and his brothers in the village - and to himself.

"As he proves". Why not let the world be the judge of that? "Hoping to prove" or "eager to prove" would have let the world the role of the judge instead of you just defining so.

Then Chapter 2 - Current thoughts. In this chapter, you're practically asking for gloves that make your h2h damage wrathing. My advice for this is: Never ask for extra perks. If you get them, you get them.

Rongar (Guest)Wed 18-Jan-06 11:17 AM

#44789, "RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..."
In response to Reply #4

From what I saw you were good to have around
but IC I heard from others that they werent
liking you, but me IC or OOC have nothing
what so ever against you

we didnt interact much but was nice to have
you around

Curdan (Guest)Thu 19-Jan-06 05:13 PM

#44836, "Hey, Aarn, anything? n/t"
In response to Reply #4

n/t

AarnThu 19-Jan-06 08:24 PM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
#44849, "okay"
In response to Reply #33

I thought you were cool when we started, but then the more I watched the more I grew turned off at how caustic you were. And the impression I got is that it wasn't you roleplaying being that way. After you watch enough characters you get a feel for that sort of thing.

Anyway, you also kindly asked a duergar Rager to help you open a guild to get at a mage, which made me grimace, especially given how your whole role revolved around proving yourself to your dwarf kin. It was clear from the moment I gave you the ultimatum that "if I saw you working with a duergar, I was going to smoosh your head on my anvil," you didn't intended to really avoid duergar, or at the least it was going to be an inconvinence for you now that I ordered it. After I said that you gave some generic response like "Well, unless it's a raid." What the hell? What kind of dwarf attitude is THAT, toward their horrible racial enemy? I can't think of a worse roleplay for a standard dwarf then to not be trying to crush any duergar skull they come across. At the least I expected you to be completely intolerant of them, if you weren't going to come to blows regularly.

And finally, your role entry about how every fine dwarf you know talks normal with no accent, while I'm sitting here roleplaying a dwarf god with an accent, made me hesitate to interact with you. What, were you sitting there rolling your eyes every time we talked? It seemed clear to me that you had some OOC annoyance at the standard dwarf accent. It's fine if you want to play a smooth-talking dwarf, but I think you can aknowledge how everyone else talks.

Oh, and I don't have the ability to check anyones IP address, and I had no idea who you were for the first 3/4ths of your characters life. Anyway, good luck with your next. Sorry we didn't connect better.

Aarn!

Curdan (Guest)Thu 19-Jan-06 11:12 PM

#44858, "RE: okay"
In response to Reply #34

That's pretty funny. Almost ironical even.

You realize of course that Curdan was pretty much the only dwarf (in the village at least) who actually acted like a dwarf, just as you described. The only dwarf to hate duergs, just as you described. The only dwarf who refused to group with them - even for raids most times - and who berated other dwarves for spending time with duergars. Just as you described.

At the same time the other dwarves who totally ignore all that you describe, run around in the grass with no worries, carefree and jolly.

Pretty funny. Ironical even.

Thanks for the response though. Appreciate the time.

nepentheSun 15-Jan-06 01:27 PM
3430 posts
#44675, "RE: (RAGE DELETE) [BATTLE] Curdan the Champion of Warfa..."
In response to Reply #0

This was a cool role idea and had the potential to be a great character.

The biggest mistake you made in my opinion was in trying to order everyone around and tell people what to do from the very day you were inducted, on.

Battle has it rough enough from the rest of the world without making the only people in the world who are likely to be your allies hate your guts.

As an aside, if you disagree with a kill/attack a cabalmate has made, I feel that a stronger form of protest would include not subsequently attempting to full loot said kill. (Unless it's to return the gear to the victim.) I still chuckle when I think of that.

Good luck with your next. If you take the self-appointed-cabal-policeman attitude down a half a notch I have a feeling that you'll be able to relax and have more fun with the game.

Observer (Guest)Sat 14-Jan-06 04:29 AM

#44628, "Well well well, and who is here?"
In response to Reply #0

Long tongue? Lost your gear? Blame everybody? Right. I know who are you.

Kaisse (Guest)Sat 14-Jan-06 09:50 PM

#44671, "I doubt many people will have good things to say, so..."
In response to Reply #1

I'll just say he was a good berserker. As far as ability+fights goes.

Kaisse

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #44625 Previous topic | Next topic