Subject: "(DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Tanrillinael D'Arbutus the Master..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #41906
Show all folders

Death_AngelSun 09-Oct-05 01:12 AM
Member since 22nd Sep 2024
17176 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#41906, "(DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Tanrillinael D'Arbutus the Master of Water"

Sun Oct 9 01:12:13 2005

At 5 o'clock PM, Day of the Moon, 28th of the Month of the Long Shadows
on the Theran calendar Tanrillinael perished, never to return.

Race:elf
Class:invoker
Level:44
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:OUTLANDER, the Outlanders of Thar-Eris
Hours:234

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Bah..., Ornerne (Guest), 09-Oct-05 07:29 PM, #10
Reply RE: Bah..., Tanril (Guest), 09-Oct-05 07:50 PM, #12
Reply Okay, it's official...., Tanrillinael (Guest), 09-Oct-05 10:45 AM, #3
Reply The biggest mistake I saw you make., Aiekooso, 09-Oct-05 11:37 AM, #5
Reply RE: The biggest mistake I saw you make., Tanril (Guest), 09-Oct-05 12:22 PM, #7
Reply RE: Okay, it's official...., Quarena (Guest), 09-Oct-05 11:43 AM, #6
Reply RE: Okay, it's official...., WildGirl, 09-Oct-05 02:09 PM, #8
Reply Booooohoooo., Atchertene (Guest), 09-Oct-05 07:20 PM, #9
Reply RE: Booooohoooo., Tanril (Guest), 09-Oct-05 07:46 PM, #11
Reply Goodbye, mre, Frearrir (Guest), 11-Oct-05 05:20 AM, #13
Reply Kick in the pants.., Arminas (Guest), 09-Oct-05 06:26 AM, #2
Reply RE: Kick in the pants.., Tanril (Guest), 09-Oct-05 10:52 AM, #4
Reply RE: (DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Tanrillinael D'Arbutus the Ma..., Saephii (Guest), 09-Oct-05 02:06 AM, #1

Ornerne (Guest)Sun 09-Oct-05 07:29 PM

#41935, "Bah..."
In response to Reply #0

I felt bad for killing, but you kept coming and I knew you were just being ballsy and all... I even at one point told Arminas to have you stop committing suicide... Heh. I don't think he told you though. Well, good luck with school and whatever is next for you.

Tanril (Guest)Sun 09-Oct-05 07:50 PM

#41937, "RE: Bah..."
In response to Reply #10

Eh, you were one of those annoying warriors who seemed to know how to fight invokers and made me look like an idiot more than once. I kept thinking something had to work against you but never figured out what. Which was part of the repeated efforts / deaths. Ah well.

Tanrillinael (Guest)Sun 09-Oct-05 10:45 AM

#41913, "Okay, it's official...."
In response to Reply #0

I play crappy invoker. This was my first real attempt at one which I tried partly because I had never really done one and partly because I remember how impressed I was with folks like Kelrizza and Bliaha and others. I however, failed to come anywhere close to that standard. I couldn't land a solo kill on anyone once I passed into the realm of shields, where I thought I'd be much more fiercesome.

That combined with much less time to play because of the normal Fall semester workload made me increasingly careless with the character as I tried to see just what I could do with one. Once I fell below about 10 con, I figured it wasn't worth trying to hero, so off I go.

There have been quite a few folks I interacted with and to be honest I'm likely to forget many so don't be offended, just blame it on old age.

Arminas: I enjoyed working with you and regret my times had fallen off so much that we couldn't make a stronger presence in Outlander. The only reason I held on this late in the semester was I didn't want to abandon you but then I figured I wasn't really contributing much anyway, so I deleted. You are doing well as Sunwarden under some adverse conditions.

Outlander Imms: heh, I didn't interact with you guys all that much though I suspected you were around. I never did quite figure out how to play an elven Imp follower so I just went with the obsession/wisdom angle and hoped it got noticed. Not sure it did, but it was fun anyway. My only suggestion is to maybe be more visible to help with those neutral/evils who want to join and can't because they only see Arminas or Innis to talk to. But then that observation may be biased by my limited playing times of late.

To the many Outlanders: You guys are by far the most fun group to hang with, even the nasties amongst you. I couldn't imagine belonging to a group where you couldn't play up intense dislikes between members of the same cabal. The Tribunal and Battleragers could really take this to heart instead of morphing into a generic ball of bland PC's that don't seem to recognize how wrong duergar/dwarf groups are or paladins working next to necromancers.

To the Tribunals: It's fun having enemies but as a player, not a PC, you guys need to get a clue. Seriously. I was stripped naked more times by good aligned tribbies than I was by the neutral and evil ones. Even when I wasn't attacking the spire in yet another suicidal charge. While the PC didn't expect any better treatment from 'slavers' the player in me just got frustrated that you folks don't seem to have a freakin' clue about moral conflicts or ethical alignments. I even got tells from storms and paladins saying 'Why did you make me kill you?' while they were looting everything from my corpse. Huh? Would someone who was morally upset at killing an elf strip them bare? Get real. You killed them. Shouldn't that be enough? Especially when it wasn't anything special as far as gear goes anyway. Nevertheless, it was fun trying to get you guys to chase me, though I learned quickly that hiding in a vortex or using improved invis didn't help when all your enemies were 7 levels above you.

It was perhaps that mentality that finally tilted the fun meter over the edge and made me decide to delete. Frankly I don't know if I'll be back anytime soon. Or maybe ever. And I've been here, off and on since the very beginning of CF and played a variety of mortals and even a couple of high level immortals in ages long since past.

Then again, maybe I'll make a ranger one of these days again. I know how to play them fairly well even if I can't call bears anymore.

AiekoosoSun 09-Oct-05 11:37 AM
Member since 18th Dec 2003
305 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#41918, "The biggest mistake I saw you make."
In response to Reply #3

Was level sitting to learn every spell. Like I told you in my goodbye. Get your shields and one bash shield and then level up to hero and practice. You'll find that practicing at hero or near hero is a lot easier than pre-hero. Most of the stuff will just go up on its own. Invokers are a real pain in the ass. They can be one of the weaker and stronger classes both at the same time. Enjoy whatever you do, even if it isn't cf.

Tanril (Guest)Sun 09-Oct-05 12:22 PM

#41923, "RE: The biggest mistake I saw you make."
In response to Reply #5

Yeah, I did do that pre-shield, but after shields it was just bad luck with trying to find groups to level with. By the time you left your advice, I had already mastered all the lesser shield spells and I was still trying to figure out which shield was good for bashing. The helpfile for shield of earth was supposed to, but didn't seem to be reliable, the others, well sometimes they worked, other times not. That and the enemies I faced had obviously fought invokers before because whatever greater shield I used, they immediately countered with a different tactic (pincer, leg sweep, dispel magic... Ah well, learn something new every day.

Meakanera was a great example of what I was talking about in my other post on moral conflicts. You attacked Arminas and I was planning on attacking you and the fire giant one day just for the hell of it. I don't think the folks in the village or the spire actually get that there can be internal conflicts.

Quarena (Guest)Sun 09-Oct-05 11:43 AM

#41920, "RE: Okay, it's official...."
In response to Reply #3

I liked you. Giving some time we would of made a pretty good team, sanctuary with shields is better Anyways, have fun.

WildGirlSun 09-Oct-05 02:09 PM
Member since 16th Sep 2004
250 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#41925, "RE: Okay, it's official...."
In response to Reply #3

You'll be missed!

And I agree with you wholeheartedly about rping internal cabal conflicts. A paladin being rescued by a necromancer's pet while trying to raid? That just doesn't make sense. There should be lots of factors to consider other than just "Let's kill whoever we can because we're all of the same cabal! Yay!"

I was fighting the captain the other day against a tribunal paladin and an anti-paladin comes in to fight the paladin. I didn't get the command in on time before he fled, but I was trying to demonfire the anti-paladin first, though it would appear I was helping the Tribunal. There should just be some things that are intolerable to your character. RP it.

Have fun with school!

Atchertene (Guest)Sun 09-Oct-05 07:20 PM

#41934, "Booooohoooo."
In response to Reply #3

Sad to see you go, though I pretty much saw it coming for a while. We had lots of fun in the lower levels with the elf-kateers, I wish we could have had big boy fun, too. All in all, Tanril was one of Atch's favorite people, and he'll be missed. When school give you some breathing room, come back again and get your roll back on.

Atch

Tanril (Guest)Sun 09-Oct-05 07:46 PM

#41936, "RE: Booooohoooo."
In response to Reply #9

Yeah, I'd missed hanging with Atch lately, I did have fun trying to be 'elfy' around you when we were all out hunting. You were doing great as a good ranger, keep it up. I still think a snare set in a snowstorm would've been fun to see on a couple of fire giants.

Frearrir (Guest)Tue 11-Oct-05 05:20 AM

#41976, "Goodbye, mre"
In response to Reply #3

Frearrir saw you as useful member of refuge, as you gave him shields for raids etc. He also thought that you were being theatrical with shields, with all those chants you were saying before casting. It was good to have you around and you were Frearrir's favourite Outlander invoker right after Msaylu. Good luck with your next!

Arminas (Guest)Sun 09-Oct-05 06:26 AM

#41910, "Kick in the pants.."
In response to Reply #0

Well, I realise I have not had much of a chance to be around and help in the good fight, but in Arminas' lifetime power with the Outlanders have waxed and waned. I hope you leaving was simply not out of frustration. I liked this character and had plans for him, but when I heard you had become a bit more suicidal I knew it was just a matter of time. I enjoyed our talks both per and post induction and had hoped to be the one to get you that last title. Good luck with the next and thank you for the depth and insight you brought with you into the Refuge.

Arminas

Tanril (Guest)Sun 09-Oct-05 10:52 AM

#41914, "RE: Kick in the pants.."
In response to Reply #2

Well, it was a little out of frustration, but not with you or any of the Outlanders. I know what it's like to play a severe underdog and it is both fun and wearying at the same time. Mostly I was frustrated at how easily I managed to die despite having invoker shields. I suspect I just don't know enough about them to play one decently. Given the time it takes to master all the spells, I'm not likely to play another invoker anytime soon. Though I think I did learn a little about how to defeat one now. The suicidal part was intended to be an obsession with the fetish that the Imp was supposed to notice and tattoo me for

As I said in a previous post, I did enjoy our interactions a great deal. Thanks for the talks and induction. And many good wishes in overseeing the resurgence in Outlander. I think it's by far the most fun cabal.

Saephii (Guest)Sun 09-Oct-05 02:06 AM

#41907, "RE: (DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Tanrillinael D'Arbutus the Ma..."
In response to Reply #0

Aww... I really liked Tanril.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #41906 Previous topic | Next topic