Subject: "(AGE DEATH) [TRIBUNAL] Gordath the Surly Smith of the S..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #39826
Show all folders

Death_AngelTue 19-Jul-05 03:36 AM
Member since 22nd Sep 2024
17176 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#39826, "(AGE DEATH) [TRIBUNAL] Gordath the Surly Smith of the Spire, Provost Magistrate"

Tue Jul 19 03:35:16 2005

At 5 o'clock PM, Day of Freedom, 32nd of the Month of the Sun
on the Theran calendar Gordath perished, never to return.

Race:dwarf
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:TRIBUNAL, the Blood Tribunal
Hours:550

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Solid character., Lyristeon, 19-Jul-05 05:50 PM, #17
Reply Everyone else, Gordath (Guest), 19-Jul-05 09:38 AM, #5
Reply RE: Everyone else, Gerylanst (Guest), 19-Jul-05 10:33 AM, #7
Reply Hmmm, an age dead dwarf..., Ritur (Guest), 19-Jul-05 04:22 PM, #14
Reply Uncle Gordy, Muug (Guest), 19-Jul-05 01:20 PM, #8
Reply He he he, Ritur (Guest), 19-Jul-05 04:19 PM, #13
Reply RE: He he he, Gordy (Guest), 21-Jul-05 03:31 PM, #23
     Reply I like in-char humour, Ritur (Guest), 21-Jul-05 04:54 PM, #28
Reply Nothing about me?, Iborenn (Guest), 19-Jul-05 05:12 PM, #16
Reply RE: Nothing about me?, Gordath (Guest), 21-Jul-05 03:40 PM, #24
     Reply I suspected, Iborenn (Guest), 21-Jul-05 03:46 PM, #25
Reply Yahr, a stout dwarvish yer was!, Ghrulkar (Guest), 20-Jul-05 07:32 PM, #21
     Reply DWARVES!!!, Gordath (Guest), 22-Jul-05 07:01 AM, #30
Reply Outlander goodbyes, Gordath (Guest), 19-Jul-05 08:35 AM, #3
Reply Blasted dwarf got short memory hehe..., Viviarong (Guest), 19-Jul-05 08:49 AM, #4
Reply RE: Blasted dwarf got short memory hehe..., Gordath (Guest), 19-Jul-05 09:53 AM, #6
Reply See ya, Gordath, Qing (Guest), 19-Jul-05 08:42 PM, #19
Reply RE: See ya, Gordath, and to Salverath too, Gordath (Guest), 21-Jul-05 03:52 PM, #26
Reply Sure...fine...ignore me!, Dalbiddle (Guest), 19-Jul-05 10:13 PM, #20
Reply not intentionally, Gordath (Guest), 21-Jul-05 04:09 PM, #27
Reply RE: Outlander goodbyes, Arminas (Guest), 21-Jul-05 07:22 AM, #22
Reply Tribunal Goodbyes, Gordath (Guest), 19-Jul-05 07:16 AM, #2
Reply Great run., Vicuric (Guest), 19-Jul-05 01:45 PM, #9
Reply Trib/Outlander balance..., Nightwiggler (Guest), 19-Jul-05 02:31 PM, #10
Reply Further clarification..., Nightwiggler (Guest), 19-Jul-05 02:42 PM, #11
Reply RE: Trib/Outlander balance..., Daurwyn (Guest), 19-Jul-05 05:04 PM, #15
Reply Thanks tfor the chance and interview., jhtelatar (Guest), 19-Jul-05 02:55 PM, #12
Reply RE: Tribunal Goodbyes, Dazan (Guest), 19-Jul-05 07:57 PM, #18
Reply RE: Goodbyes, Thonthoz (Guest), 21-Jul-05 05:16 PM, #29
Reply You'll be missed!, Gelgso (Guest), 24-Jul-05 09:45 AM, #31
Reply That was a heck of a run, even if I do say so myself ;), Gordath (Guest), 19-Jul-05 05:26 AM, #1

LyristeonTue 19-Jul-05 05:50 PM
Member since 02nd Jan 2004
1282 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#39859, "Solid character."
In response to Reply #0

You had some great highs while you were in that cabal. You had some bad luck with people deleting and those that stayed around being kind of new. But you did an awesome job with them and that deserves some recognition. Being someone who has a decent idea of what they are doing taking the time to teach instead of just expecting goes a long way. Espcially in a cabal like Tribunal where it is almost expected that you aren't allowed to make mistakes and tends to burn folks out. Good luck with the next.

Gordath (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 09:38 AM

#39835, "Everyone else"
In response to Reply #0

I think I should be able to hit the rest in one. Besides I am sure you are tired of reading my opinions by now anyways. Hehe. My fingers hurt. I REALLY should have made some notes for this.

-------

Fortress

My allies that couldnt be. And so very close to a war with the spire once. I really had no idea what would have happened with Gordath if that had happened. Especially with what Oni had been doing. In a way I felt that I was the reason that particular war DIDNT happen. That could just be ego though.

Aarn - Cool Imm. Just why o why hadnt you immed BEFORE I made Gordath! When I first saw you I considered even deleting to restart with an Aarn follower, but figured since Gordy was basically just to learn the class I would be dead soon anyways and I could do it then. Hehe. Little did I know what would follow...

Gumbldink - After having read your goodbye thread I now why I felt such kinship for this character. We were both dwarves doing our duty, and had no real desire to be doing what we HAD too. Two sides of the same coin.

Nyrka - Actually knew you best with another character of mine. Too bad too. I deleted him when I became provost. I didnt think at the time that as a leader type I should play two characters. So thats what happened to Parlin. Nice character though. I loved the fact you were a female in a males body. Nice rp concept.

Haes - The other dwarf leader! Though we didnt interact much you set the stage. Gordy always felt he, as a dwarf, had to live up to the standards you set! Jerk.

Cytheria - The reason Gordy didnt leave the spire when Oni was doin his shenanagins. To him (remeber this is all IC mind you) what you were doing was just as bad. Kept helping the outlanders against us for what he thought was no good reason. Heh, course ooc I understand and what are you gonna do anyway? I am already dead!

--------

Villagers

In Gordath's mind you are doing what he wanted to do. And when he found out certain in game things about err circumstances in the dwarven nation, he ALMOST quit to join you. I know that is very vague, but I cant give it away HERE! Still, if Gery had said the right things at that time... Hehe. Skip the numbers and all that, fights with the village were some of my most dangerous and fun memories.

Gerylanst - Baring only Gumbledink, and a few magistrates, you were Gordy's closest friend. I know it was almost impossible to tell that in the game, but it was true. We held to the same strict kind of honor. Again the last time we ran into each other I remember you looking at me, seeing I was half naked, but you KNEW I wasnt gonna let you get away with attacking the shifter. And you growled at me in frustration, and did it anyway. I was laughing behind my screen. We both knew exatly the way it was going to happen and it did. Nice job, keep truckin!

Vershelt - A true villager in Gordy's mind. And some damned good fights as well. Honor, skill and rp all in one package. Truly a loss when you fell.

Ritur - Without a doubt the Biggest annoyance Gordath had in his life! Whining at me to stop what I was doing to put out fires so you could hide and attack the people I was supposed to be protecting. not to mention stealing all my preps when I was outside of town and couldnt see you. Loved it. Really. Heh.

Ghrulkar - The lousy duergar. RP wise the one that opened my eyes. The fact that you fought with honor, both in victory and defeat enabled Gordy to finally get rid of his inner hatred of duergars and judge people on what they did themselves. Quite essential in a provost.

Mitrassek - Was the other too. You and I had the Ultimate fight. I wish I had it logged. I won in the end, but I had all of 30 hps. It really had come down to who got the LAST blow.

------

Empire

I mostly ignored. Many of my magistrates were friends of yours and traveled with you. For the sake of the spire I left you alone, as long as you left me alone. So I never really got to know any of you well.

------

Others

last but not least. And way to many to mention but a few. My memory is good though, so if I miss you, send a note and Ill reply. Still there are a few I HAVE to mention.

Innea - Gordaths true joy in life. Considering what he was doing, and the fact he didnt want to be doing it, you were the ONLY joy in his long life. That final conversation we had just as you deleted was rather painful. And fitting. I was being called off to duty, and you had to go. I kept your Marionette for another 25 hours till it was finally lost. The thief that took it deleted shortly after so I never did get to exact vengance.

Grollina - Do you have any idea how much angst you gave Gordy with what you showed him? Do YOU! The hours I spent trying to solve that mystery... Bleh. And the fact that I almost left the tribunal to do it too. What an impact it had.

Muug - Uncle Gordy here. Hehe. At the end you were the guy Gordy took under his wing. His Protoege if you will. He saw in you a younger version of himself and was determined to leave something behind. What I did with the spire was for my duty. What Gordy tried to do for you was for himself.

And thats it folks except to reply to replies. Hehe. Again, thanks to the imms for a great game. See you in the fields.

Gerylanst (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 10:33 AM

#39837, "RE: Everyone else"
In response to Reply #5

Good char, and great job on the age death, that's a huge feat in itself. As for our interactions, yes, I enjoyed everything. Take care and good luck with the next.

Gery

Ritur (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 04:22 PM

#39854, "Hmmm, an age dead dwarf..."
In response to Reply #7

Bet he was middle-aged and it was liver failure.

Muug (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 01:20 PM

#39842, "Uncle Gordy"
In response to Reply #5

Muug considered uncle Gordy as wise old uncle, whom he quoted at times. Muug was about level 17 or so when we had that weapon spec conversation, and in later life, Muug wanted to tell Uncle Gordy at times how he was faring.

I recall when Muug was at Hero range in the Inn with lowbies. Muug was having a conversation with one lowbie, when other came in and greeted us, then gave us a glance. At this stage, Muug said to the first lowbie he was talking to "Uncle Gordy said those who glance you want to kill you.". After this, the second lowbie looked the first lowbie properly, saying something like "Is this good enough?".

Ritur (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 04:19 PM

#39853, "He he he"
In response to Reply #5

My biggest worry when I was bullying people was that they'd take it seriously. I didn't expect you to even listen to me, after I started stealing things from you! I mainly did it to please Lyristeon (spread chaos, evoke interesting reactions) and dwarves tend to be easy to anger. So, I angered dwarves.

Most Tribunals were great to interact with. I remember, Flix warranted me once for trying to jack him, and I spent about 5 minutes trying to convince him I slipped. I then rushed back and did it again. He took the whole thing so well, I was laughing my ass off for about 10 minutes after. Rawnie had tried to jack through his shield too, and I had the funny feeling she was doing the exact same thing as I was. She's even posted the log where I mysteriously say 'I love the Justiciar.' while I'm shouting abuse at him. Probably bad of me to say that for a mage, but you tribunals put up with so much I feel I got to love the guys that do, such as yourself. I might have said a good word about you behind your back, but it likely involved having booze in your bag.

Thanks for not taking it seriously and having fun.

Ritur.

Gordy (Guest)Thu 21-Jul-05 03:31 PM

#39946, "RE: He he he"
In response to Reply #13

Nah, even when I play serious characters, I remember its just a game. And playing serious charaters can be tough for me, because I have an almost unstoppable ( or irratating if you prefer) sense of humor. Its hard at time to stop my natural wise cracks. And Ritur fit my sense of humor perfectly. I could see myself doing the same in your shoes.

And though You didnt get the credit for it, at least two pk deaths were due to you. You had stolen preps I had just before I got hit. Hehe.

Ritur (Guest)Thu 21-Jul-05 04:54 PM

#39952, "I like in-char humour"
In response to Reply #23

I try to throw a bit of it into all my characters, and I think its possibly the healthiest habit anyone can get into. Even my darkest, evilest chars will take a hint of humour with them. Just means you have to dig harder

Plus points for weaving it into your rp.

Iborenn (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 05:12 PM

#39857, "Nothing about me?"
In response to Reply #5

I missed fighting you, you did seem to slowly get better with each pass I must admit maybe the next time around you'll beable to kill me!
Hah, glad you having fun

Gordath (Guest)Thu 21-Jul-05 03:40 PM

#39947, "RE: Nothing about me?"
In response to Reply #16

Err. Ooops. Yeah, we did fight twice that I can remember, the first I has JUST hit your pk and you were in the ocean. And I am having to go under water to go after you. Villagers were always incredibly tough fights. I hadnt fought a hero villager before except with a shifter who had some wands. I was amazed, appalled, in AWE of the power of a villager, and it took me quit a while to figure out how to counter it. At the time we faced, you would have had to screw up badly and I get lucky to boot. Course Gordy WAS made to learn about things... We will see with the next ones.

Iborenn (Guest)Thu 21-Jul-05 03:46 PM

#39948, "I suspected"
In response to Reply #24

Seriously try a villager out if you want to know their weaknesses.
Hence Iborenn...

Ghrulkar (Guest)Wed 20-Jul-05 07:32 PM

#39904, "Yahr, a stout dwarvish yer was!"
In response to Reply #5

So ya finnaly kicked the bucket eh? You were my favorite tribunal
hands down, its the dwarven charm I'm sure. I liked our interactions
you were firm in your ways, and a solid Provst for the blood tribunal.

Gordath (Guest)Fri 22-Jul-05 07:01 AM

#39960, "DWARVES!!!"
In response to Reply #21

I love dwarves. It was natural that when I finally played a warrior I was going to use a dwarf. I dont know about anyone else but I get caught up into the speach patterns TOOO much. I have a newbie now (of course) that I may have to delete because I keep slipping up and using Gordy speech!

Gordath (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 08:35 AM

#39831, "Outlander goodbyes"
In response to Reply #0

The Scavengers of Thar Eris. Heh. Well if anyone knows you as well as your friends, its your enemies. And yes I think outlanders have a huge advantage over the tribbies, but I admit, I havent played one so I dont KNOW either. That being said I also think that with camoflage the outlanders are getting the lions share of the people that will only fight or log on if they are safe and have the numbers. No one else can sit in thier cabal and not have to worry that an assassin is stalking them. Or that someone is going to summon you to a group. Its the few that gives the rest a bad name.

That being said I never blamed you for ganging me down, or full looting. Thats the game. And considering how I played Gordath, if you DIDNT full loot him, he was going to be right back in your face. Now if you had only half looted him I probably would have con died long before this... Hehe. I can only imagine what was heard about me on the cabal channel. Everyone gather, Gordath has awoken, and you know he is gonna come try to retrieve. And I would unless I was naked or knew there was no chance whatsoever.

Then again, I personally never really thought Gordath was that powerful either, just hard to kill vs a being true killer himself and all of that. So I dont think I struck fear in anyones eyes. Heh. CF is a game that you learn as much if not more from your defeats as well as victories, so in that you were my greatest teachers. (So THATS what the shield of thorns does...)

Still you have some real quality players in there as well, and on to my goodbyes. Again if I miss anyone, send me a note and Ill try to answer. I dont log my battles much so I know I am going to miss a LOT of you. Especially those when I was younger.

------

As to the imms, as far as I know I never interacted with any of you. If I did, do let me know.

Tjok - First and formost. Damn fine player, and I played three characters that knew you or of you. 900 some hours of playtime?!??! Let me just say that after a mere 550 I am in AWE of you. I dont think Gordy ever actually fought you, but my other characters did or fought with you, so I had to mention it.

Qing - I think the first time we fought was when I showed up to retrieve, had you pound on me while I concentrated on the huntress and took her down. Then I fled with just the slightest bit of life left. And that pretty much set the stage for us. I just really had no answer for a storm giant shaman. Even when I geared up solely for saves it seemed useless. I swear when we fought alone against each other it was like two mountains hiting each other with pillows. Futile. But still fun. By the wayt that last time we fought was meant for rp, not complaint.

Thilz - Another name I am not going to try to get right. Who I considered my last real opponent. You have guts, and persitance. Willing to take the risk to do battle. I had a great time.

Brodie - Never fought much, and I was lookin forward to it too. I always appreciate an enemy who takes time to rp as well as fight.

Arminas - Another who had my complete respect. I certainly dont blame a healer for not coming against me alone, but willin to take risks too. And willing to rp as well. Like Gordy, we fought becuase it was our duty, but would really rather not have to fight each other. Least that was the way I saw it.

Aesrira and Hilaron - Porcupines! And two at ONCE. Whats an axe/hand dwarf to do? I know! DIE! Hehe. Particularly when you got that raven form Aesira. I was as good as toast.

Drahke - Nasty fire giant who I never ran into not fully prepped. Big mean and evil. With me still learning the class. I got better, really I did!

Parantl and Reggie - ACK TWO invokers two! I HATE geysers. Just hope to heck I can get my manacles on or I am as good as dead. Tough darned fights.

Carijisun - Elf warrior. Another one that as far as rp I hated to fight. Had my respect as well.

Viviarong (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 08:49 AM

#39832, "Blasted dwarf got short memory hehe..."
In response to Reply #3

Well I liked your character, there is only a few tribs I truelly respected, and you were one of them, I never got to fight you after you got provost even though we managed to get ourselves a few good skirmishes in the spire.

You were probable one of the very few who I thought twize about attacking firsthand. We never got to see who would eventually win though, we chased eachother off but never to any conclusion. Well I am sure we will meet eachother in the future bouth as allies and opponents... Still this time I will not be in a comeback char and I do believe I will be a far thougher opponent.

You have all my respect for sticking it out as long as you did and against some of the odds you had against you when I still played the druid. Good luck with your next... Btw remember to try an outlander so you can see how that is aswell!

Viviarong

Gordath (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 09:53 AM

#39836, "RE: Blasted dwarf got short memory hehe..."
In response to Reply #4

Errr, OOps. Yeah. My first taste of what a druid could do. And do to me. A well played druid is just a nasty thing. We did have some good fights. Mid level and already wanted, even half naked, you were willing to show up and try to retrieve. You certainly had guts, and my respect. I had thought you were destined to be a leader, then you disapeared. Huge loss to the outlanders. Lucky break for my team! hehe.

And you are right, I do need to try the other side. And I will, at some point. I just cant make someone to go fight the people I was just leading and inducting. Give me a few months or something.

Qing (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 08:42 PM

#39863, "See ya, Gordath"
In response to Reply #3

Much fun while it lasted.

I was thoroughly impressed with your sheer guts and determination in sticking around. Don't sell Gordath's power short. With those buffed up guards behind you, you packed a serious punch. I learned that the first time we met - when you retrieved from the Huntress. If I didn't hit you before you reached her, there was no way I could stop you and your guardsmen from taking her down. Unfortunately, you almost never had any backup, or you and the Tribunal would have been a constant menace.

My favorite memory of Gordath was actually before I could harm you. I was a youngin' just inducted into the cabal when I saw you and a couple other Tribunal come raiding against Salvrath. You and Salvrath pounded the hell out of each other, unwilling to flee, and both of you ended up dying. Given Qing's sphere, religion, and the concept I had in mind for him when I rolled him, that was pretty amazing stuff from both of you.

Gordath (Guest)Thu 21-Jul-05 03:52 PM

#39949, "RE: See ya, Gordath, and to Salverath too"
In response to Reply #19

I have these memories of Huge two hour real time battles raging across the lands, trying to find a safe place to heal and prepare and not succeeding. Spending 50,000 in coin just to keep going. It always amazed me that you could find me so quickly no matter how far I ran or teleported. Frustrating, sure, but very exciting too. I had no real chance, so Instead I would try to break a weapon or something and try to get away. More of a moral victory than anything.

I forgot Salverath darn it. Except for that ONE occasion you mentioned he and I never faced except when one of us had huge backing and the other had none. It might be self agrandizment, but I give a lot of credit to the players that stick it out and fight anyway, and he did. I would have liked to have a couple one on ones with him, but that was never to be.

Dalbiddle (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 10:13 PM

#39864, "Sure...fine...ignore me!"
In response to Reply #3

I thought we had a few good fights when you were around. The fact that you stuck it out and kept trying said a lot.

Dalbiddle

Gordath (Guest)Thu 21-Jul-05 04:09 PM

#39951, "not intentionally"
In response to Reply #20

You came at the end of my life, and we had mostly different playtimes or I am sure we would be fighting constantly. Shifters can be tough, the random forms some much better than others (I played an owl/jag... Useless) and it is so hard to seal the kill at times. You are good, and getting better. My young un's ( as Gordy thought of his magistrates) need to stay on thier toes. Heh.

Arminas (Guest)Thu 21-Jul-05 07:22 AM

#39922, "RE: Outlander goodbyes"
In response to Reply #3

You were the only one out of the whole lot that would have even close to a conversation with me that did not include 'You will be terminated.' (Do they stamp these guys out in a factory in the spire?) The only reason we didn't fight as much as we should have follows: 1> Iron axes hurt. 2> Not easy to drag you out of town onto my grounds. 3> Iron axes REALLY hurt. I did my best to retrieve against you, but you were the only one really capable of stopping me in almost any given situation and the last thing a scary and devious scavanger of Thar-Eris (I'm taking about everyone else, not me.) wanted was to get stuck fighting the likes of you, the captain, your guards and the annoying array of guards your lowbies dragged in with them. Still I'm miss you. Tons of heart in a cabal that needs work to rebuild badly. Just remember Outlander was in much the same state until Fereksah, Qing, Salvrath, Brodie and a few others (myself included I like to think.) all joined around the same time to bolster numbers with ability. And it's been steady ever since. You folks need the same.

Look forward to what you have in store? Perhaps a scavanger? No, no, I didn't mean an imperial..

Gordath (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 07:16 AM

#39830, "Tribunal Goodbyes"
In response to Reply #0

This one is going to be the hardest, so I'll hit it first. In my mind tribunal is one of the most important in the game. Its the one that is going to give all the new players the breathing room to learn a very hard and sometimes frustrating game. In many ways it was difficult to make decisions with this somewhat ooc knowledge in my head. Not only that, but it is a Newbie cabal as well. So many of my applicants were trying a cabal for the first time. Particularly when I became Provost, I tried to be as much the helpful Uncle as I was the Leader. And my interviews tended to be long and colorful in case this was a persons FIRST interview for his FIRST cabal so as to make it memorable and hopefully enjoyable as well.

Not to mention that as Provost and the way I was playing Gordy, it was more important to train the new magistrates on how to hunt, investigate, and fight than it was to do so myself. I would often NOT go after a certain low level criminal to see if my magistrates would take it upon themselves to do it. My job was to lead and train, not do it all myself.

Not that I could, mind you. For a time there, particularly with Marmaanth dormant, the tour of duty was down right BRUTAL! Outnumbered constantly, I dont think I ever had an interview that wasnt interupted. Every time I awoke I had to go retrieve it seemed. Often I would play for several hours running for my perverbial life, just holding one waiting for some help to show up. Took a lot of punishment that way, but I am not the kind of player that logs off because I dont have the upper hand. Needless to say, I personally dont have much respect for those kinds of players that wont stick it out either. Not that I am suggesting a wanted healer to come comit suicied by retrieving on his own either, mind you. But there were several characters that I would never see if they didnt have buddies, or were wanted. Certain Scions for instance that would only come to town and attack me when they knew they werent wanted and I would have to give them the free first attack.

Which of course leads me to the tribunal and its powers themselves. Tribunal is considered a newbie cabal, and it is rather straight forward with everything spelled out for a new player. But it is NOT an easy cabal to play either. You are spread out when on duty, and your enemies know exactly where you are and that you are alone. You have only three powers that affect combat, and most cant be used while you are actually fighting. Yes, my guards are nasty to that mid 30's wanted person, but if they have more dex, they can often just leave the room before my guards will attack. I can think of two occasions that I gaurantee someone had triggers set up to do just that. In a pk situation, the even my guards were of little use. They dont have special attacks, and if I took the time to slow someone down that was time I wasnt using to lag them, so an assassin, or thief or outlander could just run out of town and hide. Whats more if you enemy is an outlander, your guards are your own worst enemy.

Manacles are usefull in very small way. If you are an old dwarf, good luck trying to get them on. I gave up myself. Couldnt waste that first round of combat just to hear it didnt work.

Now I did think about this in game terms, because I dont think anyone should complain without offering a suggestion or two. And it isnt that I think the Tribs need a lot more power because compared to for instance a Scribe or Squire... We HAVE more power than they, at least in our own little city. I admit that I have not tried an outlander yet but in my own opinion, the combination they have is too much.

Now before I get flamed for that, think of this. Take away my manacles, and guards and let a magistrate hide and sneak and detect hidden in ANY civilized area, and watch the numbers swell. Still, I am a relative newbie so I think I'll wait to see if there is interest in what Ideas I had before I post them, and get on with my individual goodbyes.

-------

Marmaanth - Definately a fun character, especially if you are a goodly dwarf that hates necromancers, but HAS to take orders. I appreciate the opportunity at Provost, and I hope I did the job in your eyes decently. The fact that you went dormant in a way hurt, but then again it also calmed me down. I figured just to do what I thought needed done, and if I screwed up too bad some other imm would stop me. Hehe. So Yeah, I was feeling the pressure at first.

Alarian - I loved the interactions with you, and felt you made a great balance for the lich. You have no idea how much I was hoping that you would gain a religion that would have fit Gordy. The conversation we had about Mortorn, and Akan that time was a turning point in Gordy's life. You convinced him that he could do the job and still have a life of his own. Course then I became provost and that went bye bye!

Onikirath - The previous provost. As I said before, I hated you in character and loved it in character. The fact that my duty made me have to take your orders, and listen quietly to the complaints about you, my leader... Ughh!

Vargblot - You were hell on wheels. And I appreciated the help you gave. Too bad you werent around for as long as I hoped you would be.

Tolchec - Jerk! How could you up and die when I needed you MOST! Excellent character, and a true mentor in and out of game. Know it or not you are the one that taught me what a warrior needed to know to survive. Well that and that darned 250 hours as an owl/jag shifter. THAT teaches you how to survive too!

Melacarfina - Gordy's closest friend for some time. The only one he felt he could open up to since you were half dwarf in his eyes.

Murcadin - Impressive indeed for your first character. One of the main reasons I gave myself two weeks only before a delete when I got laid off. You continued to stick it out at its most brutal, and I thought at the time you would be the one to follow me since you had the heart to keep at it. I Never thought you would go before me. Ouch, that was a loss to the spire.

Flix - Yeah, I can never remember your whole damned name! You once said in game when we were outnumbered and after that darned perma group thing monstrosity, "Yeah we are probably dead, but that isnt the point is it. Sometimes you have to do it anyway." I agreed completely. I wish you had been around more.

Ylyssia - What I considered MY justiciar! Hehe. I still remember the conversation in galadon that opened your eyes to the fact that I wasnt just some nuetral law abiding dwarf. After that it was always a ton of fun to play with you around. Not to mention being a skillful healer who is willing to take risks too.

Emonnev - The proof the spire NEEDS a vindicator! You were playing a difficult combo, and doing it well. I personally understand your leaving with what happened, and dont blame you for it. I DO hope that you dont let it stop you from playing. The game needs people like you, try to ignore the losers if you can. There will always be THOSE people.

Gelgso - Very skilled player. I kept hoping to see you around more. I always felt you would get a promotion if you did, and (DARN IT!) I could have used you!

Suma - Sad to see you leave so quickly. I really thought you were headed to be the next Vindicator. I know you thought I was too forgiving a Provost but in character I felt that as long as someone wasnt an absolute danger to the spire or intentionally commited a crime themseleves I would give them one chance.

Thonthoz - Another one I had such high hopes for. And yeah, why do you think I made every applicant make that Oath! And why I offered my own to each.

Ryal - I dont want to start a flame war here, but I was onto you. And had asked several magistrates, Particularly Ylyssia to keep an eye on you. Shortly after that I got that note from you about the useless ness of the Justiciar,as well as a personal note from her. If you hadnt already left the spire, I was going to boot you. Still what you did at the end was going just a bit far. Try to remember its a game too.

Macumba - Seemed to be a new thief, and getting better as time went on. Was hoping to see more of you at the end.

Dazan - Our playing times didnt match as much as I would like, still I agree with the promotion, though I was leary of you at first. Mostly because Ryal had spoken highly of you, and I knew he was up to something. Too much time playing a cop

And more I am sure I am forgetting. If I forgot you send a note and I will reply.

Vicuric (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 01:45 PM

#39844, "Great run."
In response to Reply #2

I'll have to reveal myself more at a later time, but I felt you did a great job as Provost and seceretly hoping that you're gonna make another Tribby. HAR! But in whatever you make, good luck with the character.

This Ales for you,
Vicuric

Nightwiggler (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 02:31 PM

#39847, "Trib/Outlander balance..."
In response to Reply #2

You played against Outlander when it has been the strongest it has ever been.

Most well rped neutral or evil outlanders will be wanted almost constantly.

A trib midranker can retrieve in this situation.. Oh noes! Bioempathy!, an outlander cannot.

When Tribs are out numbered, yes outlander will have an advantage. Give equal numbers and equal skill, Outlanders have to be much, much more clever to win.

I'd suggest trying one. I've played Tribunals and I've played Outlanders. Sheer numbers can lopside *any* cabal war, but I think you are off about your evaluation of the cabal situation there. Also, are you aware of what Sequester does? Its pretty damned nice.

-Nightwiggler

Nightwiggler (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 02:42 PM

#39848, "Further clarification..."
In response to Reply #10

Outlanders received some upgrading about 6 months ago, which I think evened out that cabal war. It is probably pretty well balanced now.

I saw you often as the lone Tribunal on, when there were 4-5 outlanders on, and in that situation, it will feel horrible, but thats true of any cabal situation.

I was in no way meaning to imply that when trib numbers are low, tribs have it easy...

Daurwyn (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 05:04 PM

#39856, "RE: Trib/Outlander balance..."
In response to Reply #10

I've also been on both sides of this cabal war.

>Most well rped neutral or evil outlanders will be wanted
>almost constantly.
>

I agree.

>A trib midranker can retrieve in this situation.. Oh noes!
>Bioempathy!, an outlander cannot.
>

I disagree. The outlander has some advantages and the trib has some. The outlander, for example, can know which tribs are on duty, and use that to help his attacks. The trib cannot know as easily which outlanders are going to defend.

Also, I have found the huntress to be considerably tougher than the captain. Outlanders also have access to a rather powerful class that can take the scales solo at level 38 (done this myself).

>When Tribs are out numbered, yes outlander will have an
>advantage. Give equal numbers and equal skill, Outlanders have
>to be much, much more clever to win.
>

I'm not really convinced by this. To cope with sequester, I pretty much ran out of town until the sequester element of manacles wore off, then ran back into town whilst still manacled, so I couldn't be sequestered again. Also, the outlanders' ability to hit and run against the tribs is pretty useful. Galadon having so many entrances helps a fair bit, and any non-wanted outlanders can flee one room from the captain and rest safely.

>I'd suggest trying one. I've played Tribunals and I've played
>Outlanders. Sheer numbers can lopside *any* cabal war,

Totally agree.

> but I
>think you are off about your evaluation of the cabal situation
>there. Also, are you aware of what Sequester does? Its pretty
>damned nice.
>

Sequester is pretty sick, I agree, but the more I fought against it the easier it became.

>-Nightwiggler

Just seems to me that the two sides have different strengths. Personally, I find the knowledge of where someone is and the ability to ambush them more useful than combat aids such as spec guards (which I view as different to beastcalls but on a par in overall power).

jhtelatar (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 02:55 PM

#39849, "Thanks tfor the chance and interview."
In response to Reply #2

it was/is real fun,

Good luck with your next.

Dazan (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 07:57 PM

#39862, "RE: Tribunal Goodbyes"
In response to Reply #2

Well, you weren't entirely right or wrong being leary of Daz, though he really had nothing to do with Ryal or his "issues." I think I'll leave it at that for now. You really seemed to be taking some hard hits most of the time I saw you around. After I finally reached hero, I think I only saw you once. That was a damn shame. But to your credit, stuff for Tribunal is starting to look more hopeful.

Luck with your next.

Thonthoz (Guest)Thu 21-Jul-05 05:16 PM

#39954, "RE: Goodbyes"
In response to Reply #2

>Thonthoz - Another one I had such high hopes for. And yeah, why do you
>think I made every applicant make that Oath! And why I offered my own
>to each.

It was just poor timing. I played intensively during those weeks when you were dealing with RL issues. Thonthoz had just entered hero range, couldn't get a group and got smacked around for a week when I decided I had enough. If I had had less time on my hands, I wouldn't have burned out so quickly and still been around when others (say Gordath) showed up again. Three days later I play again with a new char and you are just consistently on during my play times for another week. Just bloody bad timing.

Thonthoz was a racist and didn't think too highly of dwarves, but he was also a professional, so he didn't let it show. I never intended him as a corrupt cop, but he did have some things planned with regards to having his fellow tribunals behave poorly and let him shine by constrast.

I think Ryal was onto something interesting, he was just too blatant about it.

I think you did well on the tutorial part of your role, trying to show people how they should be as tribunals.

Incidentally, I fought you a bit with Drahke. It was interesting to see you from an ally point of view. It does offer a more well-rounded picture of the character.

Have fun with your next.

Gelgso (Guest)Sun 24-Jul-05 09:45 AM

#39984, "You'll be missed!"
In response to Reply #2

It was interesting how I always seemed to want to gravitate to you well before you made Provincial. You were one of the few people Gelgso has connected with. Even with my limited playing time, you were also one of the few I saw consistantly. Very much enjoyed our talks when you were thinking of your future within the Spire. Even enjoyed running around looking for axes for you to use. Very well played and hope you enjoy your next character!

Gordath (Guest)Tue 19-Jul-05 05:26 AM

#39829, "That was a heck of a run, even if I do say so myself ;)"
In response to Reply #0

I am writing this right after my death in game. I knew it was coming, but didnt really prepare for it. So bear with me, if you would, losing a character that you put this much time (and effort!)into isnt easy, at least for me.

After a long absence(about 5 years) I came back to cf last january. Things had changed so much, I was as much a newbie as anyone playing thier first time. So after a couple assassins, and shifters I finally decided to try a warrior and a tribbie as well. That was what Gordath was, my trial warrior in basically a new cabal. My goals were simply to get a feel for the class and the cabals so that later I could come back and make a REAL one. HAR! So I have to say this was a success. I love dwarves in general, though this is the first I have played. Most of my decisions for him were based on my thoughts of what a dwarf would be. Dwarves use axes, so axe spec. This one was to be a DWARVES' dwarf so to speak, so axes or nuthin. So hands too. Legacies as well, Incardine and harmonious. One to show my true finesse with an axe, and the other to make the dwarf even hardier and dificult to kill. Now, this being my first I really had no idea what any of these things actually did. And as might be expected did not work as well together as I thought. Ohh, my guards wake up the stunned criminal. Well darn! So does the blood loss. That stinks! I also had what harmonious did backwards. Not to give anything away, but I thought it would help with what I did, not what others did to me. Hehe. Course knowing what I know now, if I had it all to do again I would have... Wait. I do have it to do again! I aint sayin!

Now, as to Gordy's motivations and role. He personally had no desire to be a Magistrate. He was ordered to do so to keep the trade cities safe, so that Mortorn could afford the Mercenaries it needs for its unending war. All he really had was his duty to the spire and therefore to his kin back home. He was a goodly character, but if you didnt catch him off duty or in a peaceful conversation, you would never know because he buried his feelings for his duties even though that was a struggle at times. (I hope for those of you I interacted with that was seen. It was tough to pull off!) He wanted really to go off and slay evil, preferable the evil mage types, but couldnt because it would hinder him in his duties. In his mind he would much rather have been wiping the chasm from the planet then worry about the foolish scavengers of Thar Eris.

So his duties were his life. He never turned his back on a crime, or didnt hunt someone because of what they were or their intentions. I cant remember the number of times I went runnin into battle half naked and unprepared against greater numbers. Gamewise not a good idea, but that was Gordy. It wasnt whether you win or lose that mattered, only that you stood up and fought for what you believed in. I took a lot of Pk's that way, but also a lot of people went running when I showed up thinkin that I wouldnt be coming if I wasnt ready. It was rather amusing to see at times.

Further there were a couple times I almost left the spire or deleted the character. Of particular note, and to apologize for my absence was last month. I got laid off from work for about two weeks between doing some odd jobs and looking for work my playtimes were scarce. The fact that Marmaanth went dormant at the same time really hurt, so I gave myself a time limit for how long I would keep the character, and was called back one day before I was to delete. I truly enjoyed this chance at a leadership position, and hope that wasnt a mistake on my part for stickin it out.

I plan on leaving some more individual goodbyes in other notes (character gets 550 hours long there is too much to say in one!) Still to the Imms in general. Playin a leader type (particularly one whos primary cabal imm is dormant!) gives me a small view on what you folks do as an everyday thing. And I for one congratulate and thank you for such a great game and the effort that you put into it. After playing rp games for some 20 years myself, I know that running a game takes much more effort than playing it, and you folks do it well.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #39826 Previous topic | Next topic