Subject: "(DELETED) [HERALD] Odren the Dai Sensei of the Miyama R..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #142663
Show all folders

Death_AngelMon 14-Mar-22 06:25 AM
Member since 22nd Sep 2024
17176 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#142663, "(DELETED) [HERALD] Odren the Dai Sensei of the Miyama Ryu, Taleteller of the Eternal Star"

Mon Mar 14 06:22:57 2022

At 12 o'clock AM, Day of the Sun, 13th of the Month of the Grand Struggle
on the Theran calendar Odren perished, never to return.

Race:arial
Class:assassin
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:HERALD, the Heralds of the Eternal Star
Hours:425

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Brief review and brief goodbyes, Seani, 14-Mar-22 09:12 PM, #3
Reply Well done!, Gwen (Anonymous), 15-Mar-22 12:02 PM, #4
Reply Great job!, Zicci (Anonymous), 16-Mar-22 11:33 PM, #5
Reply There goes my coffee, Amayra (Anonymous), 17-Mar-22 09:05 PM, #6
Reply RE: Brief review and brief goodbyes, Carreana (Anonymous), 20-Mar-22 08:38 PM, #7
Reply RE: Brief review and brief goodbyes, Kytria (Anonymous), 24-Mar-22 09:14 AM, #8
Reply RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Odren the Dai Sensei of the Miya..., Atrissa (Anonymous), 14-Mar-22 02:35 PM, #2
Reply RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Odren the Dai Sensei of the Miya..., Dohri (Anonymous), 14-Mar-22 02:28 PM, #1

SeaniMon 14-Mar-22 09:12 PM
Member since 25th Jan 2022
3 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#142666, "Brief review and brief goodbyes"
In response to Reply #0

Well, that was... Fun. Really fun. Cool game. Good first shot at least. Basically spent all my free time for the past 3 months on it either playing or writing or reading my logs or trying to learn the map. I could probably write a bunch more in this but it is already long as it is. If you want to talk about all things Odren I am happy to, just send me a message. Also this is a little all over but condensing months of stuff is pretty hard.

I decided to play CF because I wanted to try out MUDs and it was advertised as RP-PVP, and had a nicer website than a lot of other games. Good job with that. Still think the help could have a lot more but whatever, everyone new says that. I decided to delete because I haven't really had time and won't for another while, I don't have the energy or desire to finish all the writing I have to do to actually continue playing the character and I just want to play a video game for a while, not just walk around and talk to people. I didn't do any in character goodbyes because Odren would never willingly leave. So just assume he got eaten by many dragons, or went to a mountain to relax for a while and never woke up. Either works.

Odren was supposed to be the classic get to rank 15, level sit and learn to pk first character. Instead Atrissa found him after I accidentally got killed by a pixie (I couldn't look at it to see what it was because it shared a key word with a squirrel and I had yet to learn targeting)and it just kind of snowballed out of control into the 'I don't want anyone to fight, they should just chill in the inn' Odren from there. I was really lost on just like the basics of playing for a very long while but I think I have a pretty good understanding now of basic mechanics, lots of work to do before I actually can be good. Big thanks to everyone for helping me out.

When RPing I think it is important to put a piece of yourself into your characters. So, when I made Odren as a character I wanted to explore my desire to know everything. Good way to ask as many questions as I need without it ever feeling out of character. Turns out he found spreading what he learned was more important than knowing more things. So, I did not learn as much as I had hoped. He also ended up having a lot of trouble talking? When I started I had a lot of trouble keeping up with the pace at which people were talking while getting used to the full text game things, made it hard to talk and it just sort of stuck for him. Kind of sad but whatever.

I liked the idea of 'Orderly' a lot more than 'Lawful', so I made him orderly. Odren started off with a list of three rules to live by, creating his love of lists(I wrote so many lists, everything was a list). The original rules got expanded, then retracted after I was like there is no way I remember 15 of these never mind 94. And most them were just like weird tips and quotes people said and lines from books. After being reduced they were easy to stick by. Then I got the separate Azo rules and they were basically all within character for Odren, other than like "don't help evil people, unless it is to find the right path, if you want to be good", which was the hardest one for him, and for me to play.

Odren was not a great Taleteller, I told very few stories. Odren was not a great Herald, he never really learned that it was not meant to be a job. Odren was not great at many things but he always tried and some of the Gods love a trier. Odren had three real character defining events, meeting Atrissa, getting Azo's book from Rexan and Atrissa dieing. Odren was all about learning so he grew and changed a lot with things he learned.

He even learned to be good, with a lot of help. That all started from me not really getting what made a character good so I tried to find out through other characters. It was fun and it was one of the few things that Odren ever disagreed with Atrissa on, even said it to her and everything. Azorinne helped the most with it, kinda what her religion is about after all. Really cool to interact with, even if we talked very little about the religion parts. After being told to make amends with people I had to figure out what that even meant, turns out it is a thing alcoholics do mainly. Ended up spending hours and hours trying to, and talking to npcs. Was not something I even imagined possible as a game mechanic. It feels really, really bad to say to someone "Sorry I killed all those people you love." Getting through it all was an actual struggle for me, never mind Odren. Great experience to have though. One of those things to tick off in the "have done in cf list". Too bad I deleted before getting my off sphere tattoo due to learning about religion from Atrissa but whatever, knowledge is basically every sphere anyway.

Assassin review: Probably cool if you are in situations where anyone wants to kill you but after Sadeha died I was in one of those. I liked vanish and the maledictions. I wasted my first three edges because I never led groups and I just wanted to make a cool Owaza build because that is the coolest assassin move, after vanish. Vanish is the best part of assassin easily. Super fun, used it constantly when actually in pvp situations. When I learned how Stalk + Assassinate actually work I thought they were pretty cool, before that I figured you had to be in the same room and so were impossible to use because of how fast everyone walks. Assassin is boring in pve, can't use most of the maledicts when not leading so it was just opening moves then spam, but I figure most classes play like that, still boring no thinking needed (didn't stop me from getting a million mob deaths of course).

Quick list of stuff.
Being blunt comes from having grown up without talking to people.
Being helpful comes from it feeling good to do.
Being quiet comes from struggling to talk.
Learning magic came from me being bored, never went anywhere but was a fun side thing to do.
Sphere knowledge drove a lot.
Sphere dedication, which he learned a lot about from reading books, drove a lot as well, but he was very bad at actually being dedicated to finishing things.
Sphere sloth was gained from Atrissa.

Some goodbyes real quick.

Herald-

Rarywey, you know you are amazing. Got to lose all the formality Odren used after seeing that immortals talk like people. Got to join the heralds and have a family who thought Odren so much about the world. Got to read your book that made me actually tear up, and then Odren got to show it to Atrissa like an hour before she killed herself. I am glad you were around so much to help us all out and come to events. But mainly, you made some great drinks. Odren really didn't get you, but he still liked when you were around.

Gwendelya, you are the best. Also you are going senile and got me killed so many times. But, you are still the best. I think that is enough until you are dead and then I can write the paragraphs about why.

Zicci, you let Odren have fun in a way no one else did. Whenever you were around Odren was just more playful, you really gave me someone to bounce off off and we had a great duo thing. Thanks for all the help and for giving me a chance to just be fun and not so boring for a while.

Melethron, sorry that I voted against you joining. Glad you got in. You were really helpful to me and Odren, even if Odren rarely wanted to go on your adventures. We did a lot of cool things and you really helped my understanding of the game on a lot of levels.

Kytria, that painting was the nicest thing anyone did for Odren. Thanks for that. You were great to have around and I am so happy you joined. Thanks for always being there to listen and offer advice. Odren was a very happy customer and would recommend you to a friend. Keep up the good work.

Fortress-

Azorinne, thanks for putting up with Odren. I wasn't really sure what to expect when actually trying to pray but I had a great time with it once it got going. Still ran into all the fun Odren problems but it actually went somewhere and I am really glad it did. You did a great job at making me feel very bad about playing the game how I usually play games and I think that is what you wanted. But I unlocked good alignment as an option for my future characters so it was worth it. Sorry we didn't get to do more or have a proper conversation afterwards. Look forward to playing with you again sometime.

Flexin Rexan, Do your best to do your best was something Odren would repeat to himself over and over. You gave him a book and some advice and a recommendation to join the Heralds and he took it all in with open arms and followed everything as far as he could. The initiative was one of the coolest things I got to see in the game, really drove Odren to change and really opened my eyes to what kind of things I can try and do. Sorry I did not finish my book for the orphans.

Amayra, the prickly Paladin of Poetry was most times a pleasure to talk to. Odren nearly always had coffee on hand just for you. You did a really good job at helping him on his journey and I really appreciate the reward you gave him at the end. I will leave that up to the imagination.

Dohri, you did a really good job as both prophet and priest in guiding Odren and talking to him about his problems. Thank you for all your help. I am glad that Odren got to tell you some tales, it was basically the only time he did it, and I can't think of anyone better to get to do it for.

Redeemables(?)-

Sadeha, Odren hated you for a while, then just felt sorry for you. We really didn't fight all that much but you gave me a really good reason to learn how to and how to run away and to be always checking who/where. Appreciate someone actually trying to cause trouble, so thanks. Also totally see why everyone hated you.

Ceva, we got to go through things from very different angles, glad we did it side by side. So happy for you becoming Emperor, just remember to make it a nice Empire.

Sazven, dropping rocks is a great way to make friends! You were great fun to talk to and I am sure I would have made you see a better way to things if we had more time together. Keep up the good work for and maybe you will learn some cool assassin tricks.

Carreana, I am so sorry that I couldn't help you. I did my best but once I was told not to talk to you I had no excuses. If you had intereacted with Odren more earlier I was totally on board for it and would have made it work, just bad timing is all Great job, keep it up!

Others-

There are like a billion people who helped me out or I interacted with a bunch and I just want to say thanks to everyone. I had a great time. Sorry if I didn't mention you, if you want to be mentioned I will reply to any replys.

The Atrissa Section-

Atrissa was the most important person to Odren, alive, dead, didn't matter. Odren had everything he wanted in Atrissa, someone to teach him, to guide him, to answer his questions, to talk when he couldn't and a friend. Atrissa showed Odren the world and was the brightest part of the world for him. He would have done anything for her. Atrissa was such a colourful character that it spoiled me a bit but that is ok, hopefully other people can be inspired by her too. Atrissa got to see Odren open up and become part of a world that he was just witnessing for a long time, a world he had no real prior knowledge of. She helped him get there and was even if she was the lazy she nearly always had enough energy to bring Odren out somewhere. Atrissa dieing changed Odren. For the next like week, whenever I played I was acually just feeling upset about Atrissa being dead. So Odren talked about it a lot, got lots of advice and eventually learned to deal with it by being happy about all the good times and laughing at things that reminded him of her. It was a lot of fun getting to play with and around Atrissa. Thank you for all the help and really getting me into the game, the world and Odren as a character.

Gwen (Anonymous)Tue 15-Mar-22 12:02 PM
Charter member
#142669, "Well done!"
In response to Reply #3

Very impressed. I liked Odren a lot. I have no idea why so many of our adventures went badly. Boss mob says, 'Hey, want to see some burst damage?' I think I got you killed more than everyone else combined, so sorry about that, but you still pulled through like a bad ass. You were so close to age death! I didn't get to see you much recently, very glad to hear you got your align change. Good show, ol' bird! A hearty huzzah from the fancy pants elf.

Zicci (Anonymous)Wed 16-Mar-22 11:33 PM
Charter member
#142671, "Great job!"
In response to Reply #3

Really, really enjoyed your commitment and seeing your character grow.

Very glad I could help you have some fun here and there. I rather enjoy that.

Amayra (Anonymous)Thu 17-Mar-22 09:05 PM
Charter member
#142676, "There goes my coffee"
In response to Reply #3

>>Amayra, the prickly Paladin of Poetry was most times a pleasure to talk to. Odren nearly always had coffee on hand just for you. You did a really good job at helping him on his journey and I really appreciate the reward you gave him at the end. I will leave that up to the imagination.<<

I really enjoyed Odren. You did one thing a lot of people don't pay attention to and notice nuisances/quirks/habits of characters. That really says a lot in the RP world. I will certainly miss Odren and thanks for being a friend. And I think the reward was the last time we spoke in game, so sad face. Good luck with your next!

Carreana (Anonymous)Sun 20-Mar-22 08:38 PM
Charter member
#142687, "RE: Brief review and brief goodbyes"
In response to Reply #3

Carreana, I am so sorry that I couldn't help you. I did my best but once I was told not to talk to you I had no excuses. If you had intereacted with Odren more earlier I was totally on board for it and would have made it work, just bad timing is all Great job, keep it up!

What? THEY DARE tell you that? I enjoyed my sessions with you and I honestly did not know you were going for a redemption arc. What was being told to you must have really come off as ...un-nerving lol. The RP interactions help set up what I was going for in an awesome way where I didnt have to manufacture it purely myself.

Hope I made it fun and interesting at least when I was around.
Good luck and thanks!

Kytria (Anonymous)Thu 24-Mar-22 09:14 AM
Charter member
#142703, "RE: Brief review and brief goodbyes"
In response to Reply #3

Odren was a lot of fun. I was always worried that you weren't having fun with us because the character seemed so withdrawn. (Then again, with how mean those dragons were, I'd be withdrawn too!). Seeing you move into your redemption arc was a heart-warming moment for me, and I loved how much purpose it gave you. I was mostly looking in from the outskirts of the process, but it was still great to see. So happy you made it to Good in the end.

Come back with another character soon - Odren was a great first char and I can't wait to see what you do next.

Atrissa (Anonymous)Mon 14-Mar-22 02:35 PM
Charter member
#142665, "RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Odren the Dai Sensei of the Miya..."
In response to Reply #0

I had so much fun hanging out with you! It was so great to see you stick around and figure everything out, and you happened to come to the Inn at a time when it had been very lonely!

You had such a good attitude - even when I got you killed trying to get you to bring me steak

I hope you continue playing and are trying something new. One thing I learned with Atrissa was how rewarding building collaborative stories can be, and was very glad to have been able to do so together with you.

Dohri (Anonymous)Mon 14-Mar-22 02:28 PM
Charter member
#142664, "RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Odren the Dai Sensei of the Miya..."
In response to Reply #0

I hope that everything is alright. I wish that we could have seen each other before you went, but at least I was able to share that last visit with you. I am so happy that you were able to complete what you wanted to do. I'll miss you.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #142663 Previous topic | Next topic