Subject: "(DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #14108
Show all folders

Death_AngelFri 10-Jan-03 12:04 PM
Member since 20th Sep 2024
17171 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#14108, "(DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza"

Fri Jan 10 12:02:54 2003

3 o''clock PM, Day of the Moon, 28th of the Month of the Dragon on the Theran calendar Hlothere perished, never to return.

Race:dark-elf
Class:assassin
Level:42
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:None, None
Hours:289
PK Ratio:96% (closer to 100% is better)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Heh,, Romanul, 13-Jan-03 11:58 PM, #26
Reply RE: Heh,, Isildur, 14-Jan-03 09:50 AM, #27
Reply oh well, Anxor (Guest), 10-Jan-03 01:42 PM, #7
Reply RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza, Hlothere (Guest), 10-Jan-03 01:11 PM, #3
Reply RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza, Tasfiel (Guest), 10-Jan-03 01:19 PM, #5
Reply RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza, Aginal (Guest), 10-Jan-03 03:33 PM, #13
     Reply RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza, Tasfiel (Guest), 11-Jan-03 10:41 AM, #19
Reply Now that.. really puts me in a sour mood, Jhalstruvv (Guest), 10-Jan-03 01:30 PM, #6
Reply Gbyethere!, :)(: (Guest), 10-Jan-03 01:52 PM, #8
Reply Surprised, Punblinpo (Guest), 10-Jan-03 01:55 PM, #9
Reply As Delryn..., Shadow1ife, 10-Jan-03 02:20 PM, #10
Reply some drow priest, Maelifarau, 10-Jan-03 04:14 PM, #14
Reply RE: some drow priest, Isildur, 10-Jan-03 04:46 PM, #16
     Reply just wrong cut-n-paste (grumble) (nt) (glowing), Maelifarau, 10-Jan-03 09:42 PM, #17
Reply RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza, Weengroht (Guest), 10-Jan-03 04:32 PM, #15
Reply RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza, Queesha (Guest), 11-Jan-03 08:06 AM, #18
Reply RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza, Isildur, 11-Jan-03 11:09 PM, #20
     Reply RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza, Queesha (Guest), 13-Jan-03 12:52 AM, #24
Reply This is why pk ratio should be removed., Nightgaunt, 12-Jan-03 02:14 PM, #21
Reply I think it's all about the player's mindset, Dallevian, 12-Jan-03 02:54 PM, #22
     Reply RE: I think it's all about the player's mindset, Isildur, 12-Jan-03 08:43 PM, #23
          Reply Hehe, Nightgaunt, 13-Jan-03 01:01 AM, #25
Reply Well i hope it works out, Xaannix, 14-Jan-03 07:40 PM, #28
Reply damn I hated you, but you were cool too, Locrian (Guest), 16-Jan-03 02:23 PM, #29
     Reply RE: damn I hated you, but you were cool too, Isildur, 16-Jan-03 03:43 PM, #30
Reply damn you!, Nurwon, 10-Jan-03 01:03 PM, #2
Reply RE: damn you!, Isildur, 10-Jan-03 01:17 PM, #4
     Reply hrmm.. thanks for the tip s/t, Nurwon, 10-Jan-03 02:25 PM, #11
          Reply argg re-read your post, correction to mine..., Nurwon, 10-Jan-03 02:31 PM, #12
Reply Why???, Arowyth (Guest), 10-Jan-03 12:06 PM, #1

RomanulMon 13-Jan-03 11:58 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
114 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#14109, "Heh,"
In response to Reply #0

I was pretty sure Isildur played Hlothere, because there are few people who would do a drow assassin, myself not being one of them, and I remember you doing one a while back. Is it the drow rp angle and the intrigue that makes you play them, because the 800 xp penalty, low con, mithril vuln (not really big deal for assassins) and autosneak just dont seem worth it...

Romanul (Who just got back from a holiday).

IsildurTue 14-Jan-03 09:50 AM
5969 posts
#14110, "RE: Heh,"
In response to Reply #26

I like autosneak and the high int and dex. They can use all the nifty assassin stuff except humansunder. One prac/skill translates to five trains by the time you hero, which can be converted to 50hp to defray the low con. The range and mithril vuln suck but they're mitigated by the fact you can hide. Plus drow rp is fun.

Anxor (Guest)Fri 10-Jan-03 01:42 PM

#14111, "oh well"
In response to Reply #0

Very nice.

I saw you work with jhalstruvv a few times. You seemed pretty competent but a bit slow a few times. I got to your target before you did, and Jhalstruvv would say "Hey, Hlothere was after that guy." Oh well, bummer, another good assassin gone. Youre right about thieves, they are a pain in the ass, but now they are not as big a problem as old thieves. Thieves in general are not that bad to deal with if you know how to approach the problem.

Well you knew what you were doing and your pk ratio reflects it, nicely done. See you around.

Hlothere (Guest)Fri 10-Jan-03 01:11 PM

#14112, "RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza"
In response to Reply #0

At some point the "risk meter" on Hlothere started inching up into the "not so careful" range. I'm not sure why it happened or when, but it eventually caught up with me. Amazingly, I could still have gotten out of that bad situation if I'd understood how vanish works, i.e. that it can still fail even when perfected. C'est la vie.

Similar to what Cuvitar said, I need a break. I've done nothing but play CF for the past year and a half, and it's starting to negatively affect my life. That's never a good thing. Hopefully some time off will let me get back some perspective.

Two other things, in case anyone was ready to complain. I never ganged anyone. Ever. I never full looted. Ever. And I didn't cheat. That's about all you can ask for. Some parting thoughts:

Jhalstruvv - i wasn't kidding when, after you died, I said you were doing better than I would have under similar circumstances. We had some fun. Keep on trucking.

Arowyth - yeah, we would have done some fine work together. Oh well.

Rykazlin, Iomyndor, Lokril - thanks for all the tipoffs to peoples' locations.

Nafae - thieves scare the ##### out of me as an assassin, and with good reason. Apparently you also know how this matchup plays out, since you wanted nothing to do with my non-aggression pact. Scary little man.

Sabrian - same as nafae, except with you it was whoever you had with you I had to worry about. Not a complaint, just the truth. If you'd stolen my sack in Bryn Shander then I'd have died for sure.

Cedia & Tininia - if you wouldn't sit in guild so much then I wouldn't have tried so often. As it was, though, paladins and bards were among the least risky targets for me to attempt. So, they got attempted a lot. Same for the felars and gnomes - Sacherumaz, Carzolian, Minlexyat, Punblinpo...

Queesha - can't believe you didn't kill me when you had the chance. I sure would have. At least I know that that place is norecall now.

Tasfiel & Yaofhil - good job. So much for vanish.

Tasfiel (Guest)Fri 10-Jan-03 01:19 PM

#14131, "RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza"
In response to Reply #3

Damned, sorry about that ending. That vanish had to have sucked. You kicked my arse the other night sitting in Tar Valon... twice. I just couldn't understand it. Also, you'll be glad to know you almost killed Yaofhil with that bleeding... ***DEVA every round is mean for bleeding. Well... good fights the other night, and apparently I was meant to get you back or something with that bad vanish. Nice pk ratio, almost shite myself when I saw it. I understand about the break, have taken a few of them myself. Hope you return and all that rot.

Tasfiel

Aginal (Guest)Fri 10-Jan-03 03:33 PM

#14132, "RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza"
In response to Reply #5

Doubt I'm letting out anything that's not known to most. If metabolism is quickened (blood flowing quicker) bleeding hurts ALOT more. Slowed (bloood all sluggish) hurts ALOT less. Something to think about. Have yet to see another reason to get that kind of bleeding damage, even bleeding fro the eyes, ears, nose and heart.

Tasfiel (Guest)Sat 11-Jan-03 10:41 AM

#14133, "RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza"
In response to Reply #13

Probably right. It's okay, slowed bleeding with a arcane muter is easy anyway.

Jhalstruvv (Guest)Fri 10-Jan-03 01:30 PM

#14130, "Now that.. really puts me in a sour mood"
In response to Reply #3

I can understand where your comin from on the burn out, that is why I limit my times when I notice it. Hey, guess I am gonna beat ya, only need four more
anyway, you where the one person I interacted with more than any, I was about to ask you if you wanted to get inducted into the ykthatra since you have proven yourself so very much the whole time I was around, but you go up and delete.. well old man, I hope things work out for ya

nice show

*golf clap*

:)(: (Guest)Fri 10-Jan-03 01:52 PM

#14129, "Gbyethere!"
In response to Reply #3

Punblinpo (Guest)Fri 10-Jan-03 01:55 PM

#14128, "Surprised"
In response to Reply #3

I was pleasantly surprised to even find my coins in my corpse. I was also surprised when I saw you hit level 42. I wish you would have surprised a third time by not choosing to delete after dying. Oh well. Good luck with real life.

P.S. Assassinate has been a bane

Shadow1ifeFri 10-Jan-03 02:20 PM
17 posts
#14127, "As Delryn..."
In response to Reply #3

You were the first to get an assassinate on any character of mine, and unfortunetly it was due to pure carelessness and *cough* groupmates. Though ultimately it was my fault. And the 4 in the morning hour, and the Percocet...but otherwise...the Scenario:

Revert

gt Hlothere is stalking me, I will depart this region soon.

(groupmates were close, stuck around to help one gain a level)

***** tells the group, 'can we be sent home?'

gt Very well (rolling my eyes cause we're just in Ugruk's...how much more central do you need to be to cities?)

cast word 1st groupmate
cast word 2nd groupmate

movement at 20...well..in the forest, will rest..will see Hlothere coming since I've been seeing him on and off for the past 15 minutes.

rest

assassinated. Thanks for not looting, wish I had payed attention since the warrior stopped the group on the flipping west side of ugruks, so you could come right in from stunted... *roll*

Shadow1ife

MaelifarauFri 10-Jan-03 04:14 PM
8 posts
#14124, "some drow priest"
In response to Reply #3

Right, get your loosy ass out of there and cover somewhere else, weakling. You are like the rest. Run, baby, run.

IsildurFri 10-Jan-03 04:46 PM
5969 posts
#14125, "RE: some drow priest"
In response to Reply #14

Huh? What prompted this?

MaelifarauFri 10-Jan-03 09:42 PM
8 posts
#14126, "just wrong cut-n-paste (grumble) (nt) (glowing)"
In response to Reply #16

Weengroht (Guest)Fri 10-Jan-03 04:32 PM

#14123, "RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza"
In response to Reply #3

Not good.

, shakes his head in dismay.

Queesha (Guest)Sat 11-Jan-03 08:06 AM

#14120, "RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza"
In response to Reply #3

Well Played. I think I let you out of that
because I have a soft spot for drow assassins
who don't get their ass kicked all over town.
You seemed to always find my hiding spots
even the ones that I think can't get much safer.
Good Luck with Life, I wish I could quit
Queesha

IsildurSat 11-Jan-03 11:09 PM
5969 posts
#14121, "RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza"
In response to Reply #18

The two I'm thinking of...aren't that out of the way. The first time, I think I was on the way to an adjacent area and went to the healer to refresh movement, and decided to peek into where you were just on the off chance someone was there. Bingo. The second time, when you spared my life, I was looking for people ranking. One bonus to that place, though, is that airforms can't see into it. Just so you know, there are other less-well-traveled places that air forms also can't see into.

Queesha (Guest)Mon 13-Jan-03 12:52 AM

#14122, "RE: (DEL) Hlothere the Student of Owaza"
In response to Reply #20

That first time, Sure, Someone's gonna find me.

That second one, I was suprised as hell. Heh.
I just figured I'd be safe cause I locked the
door. No one was getting in. Not until I opened
it anyway.
*shrug*

NightgauntSun 12-Jan-03 02:14 PM
0 posts
#14116, "This is why pk ratio should be removed."
In response to Reply #3

>At some point the "risk meter" on Hlothere started inching up into the "not so careful" range. I'm not sure why it happened or when, but it eventually caught up with me. Amazingly, I could still have gotten out of that bad situation if I'd understood how vanish works, i.e. that it can still fail even when perfected. C'est la vie.

You deleted with a 94% pk ratio, perhaps you are always this careful when you play but I read many posts like: Well, I got killed 5 times in a night when I was drunk. Just to excuse a bad pk ratio.

Even if some say that pk ratio does not matter(and it is true in a way) it is still funnier to have 90+ pk ratio than a 50%. Everyone wants to feel good when they delete.

I propose that they change it to kills after 42 instead(Like, "player" killed 65 other characters). Or remove it entierly.

DallevianSun 12-Jan-03 02:54 PM
1639 posts
#14117, "I think it's all about the player's mindset"
In response to Reply #21

I remember when Khiravn made a post about the 80% pk ratio, and that we should all play towards it. He didn't mean we (the playerbase) should inherently suck or anything, but there should be a certain wrecklessness involved in pk'ing. It's ok to die. It's not ok to never die because you never take any chances. There isn't any fun in that.

I'm inclined to agree, and I try to play towards that. Now that I don't rage delete after a death anymore (poor Isildur), the game is a lot more fun. Dust yourself off, regear, and get back to it. I think everyone would have more fun.

IsildurSun 12-Jan-03 08:43 PM
5969 posts
#14118, "RE: I think it's all about the player's mindset"
In response to Reply #22

Actually, I didn't rage delete the first time I died. I had just finished defenses and had gone to Velkyn Oloth to pick up some weapons. While I'm there I see this lvl17 human assassin. Theovari. I think "boy is he going to get it". Quickly followed by "and if he kicks my ass, I'll just leave - he's an assassin, he can't permalag me". Only I wasn't geared for health and had forgotten about my abyssmal drow constitution. That, and I failed to recall that I had postponed practicing enhanced damage. Oops.

To satisfy nightgaunt:

Hlothere killed 49 other characters.

NightgauntMon 13-Jan-03 01:01 AM
0 posts
#14119, "Hehe"
In response to Reply #23

I did not belive you was a guy that killed 2 chars and then kept away . I just want to try and make people care less about them dying and more how many fun fights they have, or how many they kill(more bloood!).

So this was more directed towards the entire cf community than you Isildur..

XaannixTue 14-Jan-03 07:40 PM
499 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#14115, "Well i hope it works out"
In response to Reply #3

>>I've done nothing but play CF for the past year and a half, and >>it's starting to negatively affect my life. That's never a good >>thing. Hopefully some time off will let me get back some >>perspective.

Heh, I told you this would happen, if you dont cut back. Good thing you realized it now and not 3 years down the road when youre 30+ and the rest is a nightmare. You took this game more seriously than your own life. Playing when you get to work, playing when you get back from work, playing weekend nights, thats really scary...everything in moderation.

Ciao and good luck.

Locrian (Guest)Thu 16-Jan-03 02:23 PM

#14113, "damn I hated you, but you were cool too"
In response to Reply #3

I have to admit you never ganged me or anyone I knew. Piece of advice though, don't be so predictable. I swear I never received any kind of outside help to know you were there. The time in Mortorn was because you "looked" at the young warrior. I saw "someone" look at him. Just little slips here and there. Good fights, good times. Get your life together, and come back to us, it's always good to fight a worthy enemy.

IsildurThu 16-Jan-03 03:43 PM
5969 posts
#14114, "RE: damn I hated you, but you were cool too"
In response to Reply #29

Ah, so that's what it was. Yeah, I was walking around invis instead of hidden, since you weren't detecting. I'd stalked you from Tar Valon, up through the mountains, and all around Mortorn. Think I'll post something about that.

NurwonFri 10-Jan-03 01:03 PM
0 posts
#14134, "damn you!"
In response to Reply #0

I thought you were a scion?? I had plans for fighting you until I deleted/died, now that I see your PK ratio glad your gone *winks* nice job and good luck on your next

IsildurFri 10-Jan-03 01:17 PM
5969 posts
#14135, "RE: damn you!"
In response to Reply #2

Just so you know, you hang around a certain place way too much. Every time I saw you vis I'd go check and more often than not you'd be there. If I didn't already have someone marked, I'd mark you.

This goes for others too. It's amazing the extent to which people are creatures of habit. Once you know where someone likes to rest, rank, hide, hang out, etc. it's so much easier to stalk and assassinate them.

Another note for assassins - mark of the prey is the bomb. Always try to have someone marked. Even if you don't want to kill them. They may group up with someone you do want to kill, or you can learn their habits for later. Mark is much more effective when the target doesn't know they're marked. ("vis;e;mark tasfiel;hide")

NurwonFri 10-Jan-03 02:25 PM
0 posts
#14136, "hrmm.. thanks for the tip s/t"
In response to Reply #4

yeah lately, I've been hanging around 2 or 3 such places way too much and that will soon change because lately I've gotten into more than my fair share of fights that I didn't start
PS: If your another ranger, I'm not too worried about you seeing me sitting around wooded areas if thats the place you mean

NurwonFri 10-Jan-03 02:31 PM
0 posts
#14137, "argg re-read your post, correction to mine..."
In response to Reply #11

ok cut out the if your a ranger crap, re-read it and slapped myself. yeah I try to be camoed most of the time but no one ever wants to talk to a "someone". then yeah sometimes I say "screw it" and go to said place where I am vis. *shrugs* I'm at a title that, that won't be happening too much anymore. too risky. thanks for the tip and stop marking me!!! *winks*

Arowyth (Guest)Fri 10-Jan-03 12:06 PM

#14138, "Why???"
In response to Reply #0

We had some great dark dealings and they were only going to get better.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #14108 Previous topic | Next topic