Subject: "(AGE DEATH) [None] Sel Drevas the Infatuated Antagonist..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #137426
Show all folders

Death_AngelFri 13-Sep-19 09:07 AM
Member since 28th Jun 2024
16971 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137426, "(AGE DEATH) [None] Sel Drevas the Infatuated Antagonist, Master Artist of the Collegio"

Wed Sep 11 15:32:48 2019

At 8 o'clock AM, Day of the Bull, 15th of the Month of the Dark Shades
on the Theran calendar Sel perished, never to return.

Race:human
Class:ranger
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:None, None
Hours:451

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply The mask falls away...., Tesline, 11-Sep-19 05:07 PM, #17
     Reply Sayra sits upon the snow, playing a sad melody for the ..., Sayra (Anonymous), 11-Sep-19 04:41 PM, #1
     Reply Sorry about that., Tesline, 11-Sep-19 05:09 PM, #3
          Reply Reading your role, Sayra (Anonymous), 16-Sep-19 01:22 AM, #22
     Reply All things die., xyfa, 11-Sep-19 05:08 PM, #2
     Reply Yea I put a lot of effort into not getting booted...., Tesline, 11-Sep-19 05:16 PM, #4
     Reply Global echoes for Sel's death, Gaspare Gnazzo, 11-Sep-19 06:16 PM, #5
     Reply Well done!!!, Gaspare Gnazzo, 11-Sep-19 06:25 PM, #6
     Reply Thank you. You don't know how much that means to me., Tesline, 11-Sep-19 07:17 PM, #7
     Reply RE: The mask falls away...., Daphedee, 11-Sep-19 08:07 PM, #8
     Reply Such a cynical but fitting song. nt, Tesline, 13-Sep-19 07:16 AM, #15
     Reply RE: The mask falls away...., lasentia, 12-Sep-19 06:51 AM, #9
     Reply I liked Flep a lot., Tesline, 13-Sep-19 06:58 AM, #12
     Reply RE: The mask falls away...., Thervryn (Anonymous), 12-Sep-19 02:01 PM, #10
     Reply I do apologize for all the grief., Tesline, 13-Sep-19 07:01 AM, #13
     Reply Great job., Ishuli, 12-Sep-19 06:08 PM, #11
     Reply Personally I believe having a few bad traits makes them..., Tesline, 13-Sep-19 07:11 AM, #14
          Reply I agree., Ishuli, 13-Sep-19 09:07 AM, #16
     Reply Bravo! Good show!, Cexonza (Anonymous), 13-Sep-19 09:08 AM, #18
     Reply Thank you., Tesline, 14-Sep-19 12:43 PM, #20
     Reply The Idea Heist, Gaspare Gnazzo, 19-Sep-19 01:46 AM, #23
     Reply Well done playing out of your comfort zone...., Emnon, 13-Sep-19 07:11 PM, #19
          Reply On the character challenge..., Tesline, 14-Sep-19 12:49 PM, #21

TeslineFri 13-Sep-19 09:07 AM
Member since 25th Jun 2010
582 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137427, "The mask falls away...."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Wed 11-Sep-19 05:07 PM

Sel should be rolled as a beastmaster/ranger and charistma state trainted to 20 so you can eventually take the soothing demeanor edge. you are a performer with the animals that you tame and seek to do so as a Herald. Your origins and role should stem from hamsah mutaaz as you were trained specifically to supply the sultan's bazaar with exotic animals

Character Motivators

Sel is in a constant agony due to his profession and the struggle to maintain the balance in himself. He loves animals he finds and captures but is obsessed by it. It is basically his drug and muse. It is his love and obsession. Any negative feedback of his animal perfortmers will result in that person being hunted. He is both gentle and harsh with his animals. His obsession lead him to become addicted to capturing those of the shapeshifter guild to be his performers. Rejection is met unkindly.

Challenge hints.

You are drawn to a certain shapeshifter that will eventually be revealed to you.

Religion and sphere

Your agony and obsession in regards to your prefession has drawn you to Lord Gaspare. Influenced by the sphere of Love.

This is the character sheet I was give plus the cabal of Heralds.

This was so many firsts for me. First time in Herald. First time getting past 200 hours. First time age dying. First time getting Gaspare's tattoo. First time playing a ranger. I was 1000% outside of my comfort zone playing Sel.

Where do I start?

Cexonza you helped make this character come alive. From the instant Sel saw you it made everything religiously and character wise come together. I'm sorry for the chaos Sel caused throughout his life...he just could never sit still. I really wish I could of finished our plans but time seems to be the enemy.

Gaspare your religion is massively intimidating and relentless amount of fun. You kept me on my toes never expecting what would happen next. Sel would just pretend that he did expect it all. Honestly I would follow you again just not as a Herald. I believe it is a bit tricky to faithfully follow your religion and faithfully be a good Herald. There was always going to be a point where Sel did something out of faith that would get him booted.

Daphedee just know everything Sel did was IC and I had zero frustration when it came to how everything went. Thank you for all the help in trying to teach me to herald. I would have to say it isn't my least favorite cabal but due to my overly aggressive habits as a player it makes it sort of hard.

Kors sorry about bailing on the redemption path but a person can only handle so many direct slaps to the face by goodies before they get upset.

Rahs you really shouldn't of asked Sel to aid. That was like throwing a ticking timebomb into an orphanage and wondering where there was no more orphans. Also thanks for all the talk.

Fortress/Fortress quest/Sel's Redemption

In the beginning Sel was 100% genuine about seeking out redemption. It took hours and hours and hours of in game insults and mistrust without real reason that caused Sel to betray you. The two biggest factors were Aurew and Alfo. Basically 180 hours worth of mistrust caused him to turn on you. That was even after 100 hours of me trying to force it the other way. It started with Sel whole heartedly trying to aid the Fortress after seeing a whole family of good aligns kill themselves due to the actions of the Fortress. Sel brought it up and was told he was trying to corrupt them and that his love was just an obsession. So eventually it pushed him toward what he did. Super preventable but just good aligns looking for evil in a place it wasn't. This created an evil plot. (Sorry for breaking your plot but there was a reason Sel was insistent on aiding)

More importantly I had no intention of having the Fortress be destroyed or talking another character into doing what they did. I was just surprised how it ended as everyone else. (entrapment)

Aurew it was rather sad that we had a falling out mostly because you were helping Sel with his addiction problems and he needed that more than anything. He was also trying to help you with the grief of losing so many people.

Jumbel wish you would of stayed around. I hate villagers with a passion but you were great to have around.

Gorum was rather sad to see you delete so early with everything that happened. You were few of the people he kept close.

Sekpak Sel had a secret hatred of duergars and an open hatred of villagers.

Alfo Plus everyone who gave Sel grief about trying to redeem himself. It is a REALLY bad idea to just massively #### on a person who is trying to redeem themselves. I don't know anyone who would of dealt with that as a person. That is why Sel went the opposite way.

Leitha honestly enjoyed being around you quite a bit. Sorry things went the way they did. This wasn't your fault at all. Sel just had a rough road with the Fortress. I saw you at writhing and easily could of ambushed you to kill you but Sel couldn't bring himself to. He attacked you as a feign attempt to kill you later knowing you would live. Fled out and quaffed home.

Gruntner Thanks for all the help and sorry about the betrayal but Sel was already too far gone by the time he met you. If the Fortress had been a bit more accepting things might of been different.

Herald

Sel knew his time was limited in the cabal due to reasons outside religion. I think I figured this out about around 270 hours and realized I had to make plans for an exit strategy which heavily influenced what happened above.

I'm not entirely sure I'm allowed to reveal anything outside of this. Sel started out overly trusting and rather naive but ended up paranoid and somewhat insane.

Emnon thanks for the character challenge. Hopefully I didn't break your quest line too. It was a lot of fun it just sucks everyone except two deleted once it was done.

Malgren you really did mentor Sel in his early years in the religion. No matter who he was fighting Imperials or not he avoiding attacking you.

Sayra Sel always saw you as a child in the ways of art and tried to mentor you. That is why he was so heartbroken in the end.

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone or anything...I really hate writing...Oh on another note I sort of failed hard on writing roles for Sel.

I've got a single #### to give...and it's just for you.

Sayra (Anonymous)Wed 11-Sep-19 04:41 PM
Charter member
#137428, "Sayra sits upon the snow, playing a sad melody for the ..."
In response to Reply #17

Sayra sits upon the snow, playing a sad melody for the snow badgers

I have a lot to say about Sel, but there are a lot of things I cannot say just yet. First I liked Sel, at least at the beginning. You were fun to be around and it was fun having someone to roleplay with and do artsie stuff with. I could honestly see your artistry grow the longer you were around. So great job there. I was always honest about which stuff was great and which wasn't when it came to what you did. I am glad you took my advice on the painting of Cex.

However, towards the end of your character, you kinda became hard to be around. Most of our interactions ended up being a lot of me listening to your grief. I don't know if that was real frustration or IC RP, maybe both. But it was really draining. I honestly felt bad for removing you from Herald, but at the same time I think it might have made the last of your hours fun since you could kinda do whatever you wanted after that.

At the end of it all, you are/were Sayra's best friend. Even after everything you still were in her heart. And it did mean something when you told her that I was your family and I should take your last name as your sister. I overall had a great experience with Sel. Good luck with your next and great job!

Sayra

TeslineWed 11-Sep-19 05:09 PM
582 posts
#137430, "Sorry about that."
In response to Reply #1

That was mostly because of all the grief I was getting for everything. It seemed like everyone I talked to it ended up being an argument and I was getting close to deleting due to it.

Sayra (Anonymous)Mon 16-Sep-19 01:22 AM
Charter member
#137460, "Reading your role"
In response to Reply #3

Your role doesn't surprise me. That's not a bad thing. You were pretty true to your role. Great job in that! I do feel like I really was right about you the whole time. I still believe I was at least one of two people you were honest with. Thanks for the good role read.

xyfaWed 11-Sep-19 05:08 PM
Member since 03rd Mar 2018
152 posts
#137429, "All things die."
In response to Reply #17

This character was just always so fun to be around. You always had something going on.

Seeing really early Sel vs later Sel was such a cool contrast, and with your take on the religion being a different angle to the other people doing it it made for some really interesting times. The "bar fight" comes to mind, but there were tons. Sel really did change over the course of his life and really did feel like part of the world.

I saddly only got to see the end of that "redemption" arc via notes, but the conclusion really did put a smile on my face, even if not originally planned. If I'd still been around I would totally have given you a brohug, I bet writing that note was so fun. Great villainous moment, well done.

I'm amazed how long you managed to stick it out in Heralds with all the stuff you had going on, though I imagine being able to do whatever you wanted in the last stretch was pretty fun too.

Good luck with your next! Great job on age dying.

TeslineWed 11-Sep-19 05:16 PM
582 posts
#137431, "Yea I put a lot of effort into not getting booted...."
In response to Reply #2

but it was eventually going to happen. My biggest goal with my character is always to make him into a person. Have them be real enough that they have no similarities to any of my older characters and that people can say yes this is what Sel the character would do.

I had SOOOO much extra con to burn so I just went out fighting everyone. I think I still had 9 con after it all.

I was always paranoid that I was messing up Gaspare's religion hard. I still had something planned as a grand finale but as you said time is the enemy of art.

Gaspare GnazzoWed 11-Sep-19 06:16 PM
Member since 13th Mar 2016
54 posts
#137432, "Global echoes for Sel's death"
In response to Reply #17

An outcast spirit with ink-stained hands parts some dark and dense foliage to reveal a misty river and a decorated lich.

"Is this the place?" Sel asks. Gaspare nods his skull and points a skeletal finger upstream at an approaching boat.

Gaspare flips an ancient, golden coin into the air and Sel catches it. The boat soon slides up onto the riverbank and the boatman silently holds out his hand.

Sel looks down at the coin and smiles for a moment, but then looks back, as though seeking one final glimpse of a wild animal in the forest behind him.

"It's all just as I planned," Sel says. "She'll join me, soon. I'm sure of it."

Sel hands the obulus to the boatman and strides aboard before casting an uncharacteristically uncertain glance at Gaspare.

"Ah, dearest Sel. Your show here is over. They'll speak of you for ages, as you have given Thera precisely the performance it deserves."

A proud smile spreads across Sel's features. As the boat shoves off and unearthly mist envelops him like closing curtains, he takes one final bow.

Gaspare GnazzoWed 11-Sep-19 06:23 PM
54 posts
#137433, "Well done!!!"
In response to Reply #17
Edited on Wed 11-Sep-19 06:25 PM

This was a really polarizing character, and no one could quite figure him out because they kept trying to ascribe motives to him that I don't think he really had.

Sel seemed neutral-leaning-evil for much of his life, and that's reflected in some of his roles and really disturbing (in a cool way) things that he said after major events. You definitely showed moments of both the sweet and the darker side of love. Since many of these involve a character who still exists, I think I'll just stop there.

I really, really, REALLY loved that you seemed to pursue redemption with the Fortress knowing that you were doomed to fail, and that you were constantly sowing doubt, playing the victim, and otherwise antagonizing them. Super-dramatic, incredibly Gasparian, and very fun to watch.

You had a real impact on the dynamics of the game and on its history - not by being a PK powerhouse or some crazy-strong support character, but by being so ####ing dramatic and crazy and provocative. It's hard to think of another character who managed to make that big of an impact in that way.

Well done, and glad you had fun!

TeslineWed 11-Sep-19 07:13 PM
582 posts
#137434, "Thank you. You don't know how much that means to me."
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Wed 11-Sep-19 07:17 PM

Sel only had two motives and that was making the grandest art possible and spend time with his wife. Everything was secondary including people. I don't know if I did things wrong with not adding my plans for everything within my role but I felt it was best left as a surprise.

I figured I had a 95% chance of failure with the redemption arc but it was 100% what Sel would do. He had to have his proper afterlife.

Sel felt betrayed by the Fortress even though there wasn't any "real" betrayal. If I never had the idea for the Grand Play. Sel would of likely ignored the Fortress as a whole.

I wish I could say more about it considering the planning that went into it. Also I'd be able to show the parts where things fell a part only to be fixed by something I never expected.

Finally thank you for all the help. You kept me going during the rougher patches of the character. I'm just sad I never got to do that Art war.

Oh I would of tried to go entropy if things went slightly different. Outlander didn't entirely make sense for Sel but he cared very little for it only part of it.

DaphedeeWed 11-Sep-19 08:07 PM
Member since 31st Aug 2017
60 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137435, "RE: The mask falls away...."
In response to Reply #17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM

TeslineFri 13-Sep-19 07:16 AM
582 posts
#137446, "Such a cynical but fitting song. nt"
In response to Reply #8

nt

lasentiaThu 12-Sep-19 06:51 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137437, "RE: The mask falls away...."
In response to Reply #17

Interesting character sheet. I only saw the early parts and my times were pretty limited when I was playing, but I had a lot of fun messing with Sel, since we were almost never in the same PK range (since I didn't play often enough to rank quickly). Most of what I said I improvised based on bits I learned through the Imms or Cex, but I tried to give it an air of credibility and just enough plausibility to keep you involved and maybe never quite knowing where exactly Flep stood with you, and if I really was trying to kill you or Cex.

In the 20 ranks I actually thought a lot about trying to make the build able to make Sel's life terrible anytime you left the Inn. Knock outs, thefts, ganging you down with cheap shot, all the annoying thief stuff. But then, I'm just not that kind of player, so I just went with all the RP stuff. The RP was far more fun for me it turned out.

Think you did a great job with Sel from what I saw, and he was a high light of my return to CF after a few years. The only down side of deleting Flep was not being around to continue to bring a little more chaos to Sel's life.

TeslineFri 13-Sep-19 06:58 AM
582 posts
#137443, "I liked Flep a lot."
In response to Reply #9

Just know we didn't trust you at all. You actually helped shape Sel's distrust for everyone. I still wish you'd of stayed around longer but I understand the downsides of playing a thief. For a lot of people they aren't that fun. When you knew Sel he was still more kind hearted and in the beginning stages of creating all his insane schemes.

Thervryn (Anonymous)Thu 12-Sep-19 02:01 PM
Charter member
#137438, "RE: The mask falls away...."
In response to Reply #17

Sorry to see you go, but you had a great run. You can guess that Thervryn didn't really trust Sel, and I'm sure you can see exactly why from a IC perspective. I was definitely rooting for you as you continued to grow your character. I am sorry I could not move faster, but you did say your death was close. All I can say is the dynamic was definitely fun and interesting and I hope that whatever your next brings, it is as fun as well.

TeslineFri 13-Sep-19 07:01 AM
582 posts
#137444, "I do apologize for all the grief."
In response to Reply #10

It just wasn't in Sel to be patient nor was it in him not to throw himself fully into anything he did. I understand the distrust but he was genuine in his pursuit. I'll be back eventually with something else.

IshuliThu 12-Sep-19 06:08 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2221 posts
#137442, "Great job."
In response to Reply #17

Sel had a bunch of unlikable traits, but that's what made him come across so nicely as a 'mad artist'. I was a big fan, and seeing how flamboyant he could be in any given situation was always pretty entertaining. More than anything, he came across like an actual 'person' character, in that I never exactly knew which direction you were going to go, how you were going to develop, etc. but I did know you'd roll with the punches and Sel would do what he wanted - which I always like seeing in a char more than a "locked into this path" type.

Big props for that.

-Ish

TeslineFri 13-Sep-19 07:11 AM
582 posts
#137445, "Personally I believe having a few bad traits makes them..."
In response to Reply #11

Also thank you for the saving that minotaur piece for me. I thought I was going to have to rewrite everything. Normally I save every copy but seems I missed that one. Yea that was intentional as Sel was trying to avoid people knowing what he intended to do next. More for the surprise factor and due to the fact that he didn't trust anyone. I think I'll make a less whiny (that is what it felt like to me) character next.

IshuliFri 13-Sep-19 07:32 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2221 posts
#137447, "I agree."
In response to Reply #14
Edited on Fri 13-Sep-19 09:07 AM

Not all characters should try to be likable. So I was saying it more as a positive quality. Or, phrased alternatively: "Ishuli would have disliked Sel if she spent enough time around him, but I found him super entertaining DUE to his bad qualities."

~

Cexonza (Anonymous)Fri 13-Sep-19 09:08 AM
Charter member
#137449, "Bravo! Good show!"
In response to Reply #17

I have so much to say but I probably shouldn't say much of it since C is still alive (although Dorian and post-Dorian work mess is trying to kill me!).

But definitely no apologies necessary, the crazy chaos kept it mucho interesting the whole time. Of course I'm biased, but I was impressed both with your character planning and your execution. I'll echo the other people that mentioned how real a character Sel was, in that he would do things he ICly wanted to do that were OOCly obviously not great ideas.

I'm pretty sure I've never played a character in CF that was so heavily influenced by one single other PC. I'm honestly surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did and that I wasn't tired of Sel by the end, but I wasn't. I see that as a testament to just how good you really were. I hope I didn't slow you down too much.

Thank you

And now I'm gonna steal Daph's bit, but do it worse. Sel's life in three acts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_UuDOigq-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t99KH0TR-J4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOmA--5_q6o

GLWYN

TeslineSat 14-Sep-19 12:43 PM
582 posts
#137455, "Thank you."
In response to Reply #18

You made things extremely interesting for Sel. Considering you were a massive focal point. This was my second character to ever get married and the first I failed horribly with the RP of it. I tried to do a bit better this time. I really didn't expect that to be our last talk IC. Actually a lot of the time talking to you helped me derive exactly what sort of art Sel would make.

You 100% aided Sel grow and become better every time. Also all three songs are spot on for different points in his life. Sel changed greatly after making the painting of Cexonza. Then changed greatly against after his betrayal. Once the PBF is published it will reveal a few things possibly. I'm not entirely sure.

Gaspare GnazzoThu 19-Sep-19 01:46 AM
54 posts
#137472, "The Idea Heist"
In response to Reply #18

I'm also stealing it. This one sums up Sel's life generally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7ntJsCoNM

EmnonFri 13-Sep-19 07:11 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2015
71 posts
#137451, "Well done playing out of your comfort zone...."
In response to Reply #17

You played the part that I envisioned Sel as perfectly
with just enough adaptation on your end that made him
a memorable character. And in doing so helped make the
character challenge enjoyable for the parties involved
and the game as a whole. I won't get into too much since
your other half is still running around, but I enjoyed
all the little sub plots going on and how you roleplayed
everything out. You became the guy that everybody loved
to hate after awhile. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
I appreciate the part you played in making the character
challenge a success and hope to see you next year for the
next chapter. Where has the Collector gone.....

Emnon

TeslineSat 14-Sep-19 12:49 PM
582 posts
#137456, "On the character challenge..."
In response to Reply #19

Just maybe think of adding secondary class options or having people write in classes they 100% can't play. Personally I was fine with whatever I got but others players may not of been. Besides the small issues like Mizor having goals he could never achieve.

Besides that from what I saw it was great. It was sad there toward the middle it only ended up being four people but that is fine. I had no idea I was one of the main protagonists until the middle too.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #137426 Previous topic | Next topic