Subject: "(CON LOSS) [EMPIRE] Malgren the Brutal Lyricist, Elite ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #136949
Show all folders

Death_AngelWed 10-Jul-19 04:29 PM
Member since 21st Sep 2024
17174 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#136949, "(CON LOSS) [EMPIRE] Malgren the Brutal Lyricist, Elite Imperial Warlock"

Sun Jun 30 19:35:41 2019

At 5 o'clock PM, Day of the Great Gods, 26th of the Month of Nature
on the Theran calendar Malgren perished, never to return.

Race:fire
Class:anti-paladin
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:EMPIRE, the Empire
Hours:602

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply What a ride!, xyfa, 30-Jun-19 08:02 PM, #25
Reply I had no clue you had 600 hours., Sel Drevas (Anonymous), 30-Jun-19 08:22 PM, #4
Reply Great job. NT, Ishuli, 30-Jun-19 09:03 PM, #5
Reply All-Time List of Top Enemy Interactions, Gorumburphus (Anonymous), 30-Jun-19 09:39 PM, #6
Reply You were great., xyfa, 01-Jul-19 12:08 PM, #16
Reply RE: What a ride!, saam (Anonymous), 30-Jun-19 10:05 PM, #7
Reply Great to see you're back, Saam was a beast., xyfa, 01-Jul-19 12:00 PM, #14
Reply RE: What a ride!, Viya (Anonymous), 01-Jul-19 12:04 AM, #8
Reply Battles of the graveyard hour., xyfa, 01-Jul-19 11:38 AM, #12
Reply Great Character.., Emnon, 01-Jul-19 08:05 AM, #10
Reply He who shall not be named., xyfa, 01-Jul-19 12:26 PM, #18
Reply RE: What a ride!, Jumbel (Anonymous), 01-Jul-19 08:52 AM, #11
Reply My favourite short enemy., xyfa, 01-Jul-19 12:18 PM, #17
Reply You'll be missed!, Gretheel (Anonymous), 01-Jul-19 12:03 PM, #15
Reply RE: What a ride!, Saagkri, 01-Jul-19 01:54 PM, #19
Reply You will be missed, Shryker (Anonymous), 01-Jul-19 07:57 PM, #21
Reply Gren was a beast., Lyeine (Anonymous), 02-Jul-19 12:00 AM, #22
Reply RE: What a ride!, Sayra (Anonymous), 02-Jul-19 01:20 AM, #23
Reply RE: What a ride!, Knella (Anonymous), 02-Jul-19 01:44 AM, #24
Reply RE: What a ride!, pangenoot (Anonymous), 15-Jul-19 07:11 PM, #26
Reply YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS, Tulhiz/Jalim (Anonymous), 01-Jul-19 05:28 PM, #20
Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [EMPIRE] Malgren the Brutal Lyricist, El..., Alrion (Anonymous), 01-Jul-19 05:49 AM, #9
Reply Haha, its a good comparrison., xyfa, 01-Jul-19 11:51 AM, #13
Reply Global Echoes, Gaspare Gnazzo, 30-Jun-19 08:00 PM, #2
Reply Really excellent, Gaspare Gnazzo, 30-Jun-19 07:55 PM, #1
     Reply Thank you!, xyfa, 30-Jun-19 08:21 PM, #3

xyfaWed 10-Jul-19 04:29 PM
Member since 03rd Mar 2018
152 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#136952, "What a ride!"
In response to Reply #0

When I had the idea for this role initially I was kind of unsure if I could pull it off convincingly, but decided to give it a go. I'm very glad I did. This was the most fun I've had in cf to date. From the ever amusing moments where I got to be outraged when people would assume the art I wouldn't stfu about was something horribly morbid to the day to day interactions, I had a total blast. My previous characters have been really bad at being conservative, but I wanted to build a decent weapon on this char which required me to play a bit differently to normal. It was an interesting experience, though I think I prefer just being able to run in and go for it with the only opportunity cost on the line being gear.

On losing the big weapon: I think it was about 59 charges or so, but not certain on the exact number. Not big by some people's standards I'm sure, but it was something I never expected to have going in. I was a little sad to lose it, but it was something I'd been expecting for a long time - I had some seriously lucky escapes while getting less able to maintain vigilance after so long and the loss was softened a lot by the fact I knew I was very close to lightning control when it happened, so that'd offset things a bit. I also really just wanted to be able to do stupid reckless things without feeling like I was throwing away huge amounts of work. I knew I really liked the char when the idea of deleting after it never really crossed my mind though - I was pretty sure I'd be tempted before it happened.

With that said, the people! Tons not included, just the ones I interacted with or fought on a very regular basis. Probably missing lots still.

Gaspare: man, what can I say. This was my first char that actively pursued a religion. I'm not the best roleplayer and pretty slow to respond, so have always kind of avoided it. You made this character though. Every interaction was fantastic and you really brought things to life. I'm sorry to torture you with my poetry, I hope it wasn't too bad. 10/10 would religion again. (Also the April fools thing killed me and to my eternal shame I didn't realise what was going on until the induction none echo, I blame timezone differences.) Thanks for being awesome. I wasn't sure how often I should visit without being annoying so tried to stick to when you were visible, but if anyone has tips on that in general for next time I'd be interested. Had no idea I might be the first person to get your tattoo, that was super cool. I had a total blast with the con quest! The final discussion was perfect, I am really glad you could be around for it. When I logged in and saw the current situation I knew this had a very good chance of being it.

Phiyruhk: had a ton of fun with you. Cool character, very deadly, clearly very knowledgeable. There's something just super intimidating about the full necromancer army plus various other minions. I have huge respect for your attitude: its one thing to eat a full loot, quite another to tell people not to do it back in retaliation. Mad props. Thanks for showing me all the things you did, and especially for taking me along on a particular outing involving a chicken. I've found its rare to find people who can teach you a ton about the game with really short exposure - you're definitely one of them.

Graitel: we had a lot of good times! I hope I showed you some things you didn't know, you definitely showed me a few. You were a lot of fun to fight with and we had some good exploration trips (sorry for getting you killed on my mad adventure). Shaman is such a game changer for teamfights and PVE, I definitely want to play one at some point after running around with you. Thanks a ton for helping me push to hero and then for the multiple regears at the end of the characters life. Neither would've likely happened without you!

Tulhiz: you showed me some things that completely changed the game for me in the later part of the character's life. You were also hilarious (and you're constant poking fun at people to get a rise made me smile). Thanks for eating those deaths gathering that item for me, was hugely appreciated. We were a rough combo when our times matched up! Good luck, great char.

Oniflond: its characters like yours that really make me interested in other people's backstories. There were so many interesting bits and pieces. Thanks for the good times.

Shryker: our playtimes didn't match up that much, but I really liked what I saw. Have fun with Emperor!

Michke: we had such a rocky relationship to start off with, but I think we ended up getting along very well somehow! When I almost got you demoted I was so mortified, I felt so bad since I know elite blade is a way bigger deal mechanically than the other sects. Keep on trucking, you're tough.

Lyeine: damn, man. That anathema hit me where it hurt. We had some good times in the two days before that, so I was really sad to see it happen. You were super dangerous and I knew when you were around a lot of fights just got vastly easier, particularly the ones that I was most dreading. I was cheering for you, even if you were looking to shank me.

Grunkul: I'd be curious to know what happened here when you're gone. Thanks for showing me those things, I used one of those wands for a lot of my toughest fights and it made a big difference.

Aurew: one of my favourite enemies. We had such conflicting worldviews it made our talks very fun for me. I hope you enjoyed them too! Our battle over a certain wand can finally come to a close, we'll call it a draw. #NoMoreSnakeHugs.

Viya: that cleave made my day. I couldn't believe it. One of my few regrets from this char is that you and I never got a fight when I had my weapon at its biggest, you were such a crazy tough enemy that I would've really liked to see if I could've scraped out a win. I don't think I would have though.

Alrion: my nemesis for the longest time. Pre hero you just annihilated me. Post hero I had more options, but you were still a complete disaster to deal with. Viya was the character I was pretty confident I simply couldn't kill, but you were the character I suspected would get my weapon in the end. I think if you had more time to play you would have created those opportunities for sure. Great enemy, good luck!

Jondir: you were always down to rumble even though pre Maran I think my build is one of the few that can give storm champions a tough time situationally. I was dreading the day you got Maran though, and I think things had actually swung more your way in our matchups towards the end once you'd got your hands on a no disarm polearm and the belt.

Knella: we had some fun trips. Thanks for showing me those things, I learned a lot! I think you were one of the very few sneaky characters Malgren genuinely liked. Time to hang up that frostbite.

Tegerek: you're another one who really made me want to play something in the future. Orc looks so amazingly fun. I think I developed a bashing inferiority complex after some of the fights we were both involved in.

Sel: I am crushed that I will not be around to write your eulogy. It would've been glorious! "Should have listened to Gren" and other such statements would've probably made up the bulk. On the bright side I lost your gift in the full loot, so now I get to dodge that awkward conversation. Good luck dude, you're a fun one.

Cexonza: I really liked interacting with good characters that weren't trying to kill me at the time because I could say horrible things and get inevitably outraged reactions. Good luck!

Jumbel: you were a beast. I came at you so many times and through the kitchen sink and you'd just shrug it off and reck me. That said, I have a huge new appreciation for the difficulty of villager: without the head it was just a slaughter. Was glad to see you get Drillmaster, totally deserved.

Kolta: really tough enemy. If you were wondering how close you had me that time I fled post flurry in Balator, 10 hp with poison, heal heal went through just in time. I also know how lucky I was that your entwine missed that time at the giant, I thought that was going to be gg: the dash/lash into entwine combo isn't something I'd seen before and really caught me by surprise. Also, you are so fast!

Gorumburphus: never failed to make me laugh with your dialogue. Well done for getting the weapon! Getting to have a meltdown as the character let me do a lot of fun things I wouldn't have otherwise been able to do, so it worked out. I came at you super hard in the days after losing the weapon, thanks for taking it in stride!

Blunde: awesome rager. When you walked into three of us in Galadon and just bloodthirsted I wasn't sure whether to lol or scream, I was 100% not expecting that. Some of those times I got out of fights with you involved I'd be on sub 10 hp. I think if I can say I was lucky when it counted on this char, it was when you were involved (especially concerning a certain fight at the giant...). I hope that wasn't the cause for the rage delete as I didn't get a message, but sorry if it was - you were great. Your build was also one I hadn't seen before, but it seemed to work really well on a berserker.

Emmalise: well done to you too! You had a rough time of it so I hope the weapon grab offset that a bit. That time you got me with a fiend on recall was nasty.

Sekpak: furst full loot was totally expected and probably deserved given how powerful the set was. Second one made me laugh a bit, not going to lie. You were a really tough enemy - it took me a while to realise why you'd poke in then fall back for a few hours, it was clever (assuming it wasn't just a ton of coincidences anyway)!

Funnily enough, I tried to get myself demoted at one point for a role reason, but got let off. I am clearly not good at imperial politics. Empire definitely had a huge upswing in the later part of the characters life, for the longest time I'd see noone around and towards the end it felt like the majority of hero was Empire.

On edges:

I actually kind of killed it edge wise on this char. I have no idea if AP edges tend to just be cheaper, but I got all but one of the major ones I wanted plus a couple of general utility things (and 2 resurgent vitality). My one complaint would probably be some of the things on the edge list are really cool, but wouldn't be something I could justify points on. Maybe some of that kind of edge should just be stock class features. In general though, this class seems pretty accommodating on edge point reqs, though the skill reqs can be a pain (but that's mostly a giant thing). On the flip side, giant's can't take a lot of the AP edges, so maybe that was a factor too: I wasn't really spoiled for choice.

I really struggled to maintain motivation as con got near the end. My pk performance definitely suffered because of it - I have no idea how people age die elves. I will miss the character tons, but it'll be good to play something with a different playstyle.

I logged everything from char creation until death, so if there are any fights people would like to see, I'll throw them up somewhere. I have some good ones, some shameful ones and some outrageous ones. I felt like stuff definitely started to come together pk wise on this char since a lot of things started clicking, but I still have a ton to learn (and suck at chasing).

Sel Drevas (Anonymous)Sun 30-Jun-19 08:22 PM
Charter member
#136954, "I had no clue you had 600 hours."
In response to Reply #25

You were awesome to have around and I sort of knew you were close to con death during the bar "explosion". You were a one of few people that I trusted. Congrats on the weapon though 59 isn't monstrous it is still quite big. Sucks that there will never be a collection of your poems at the Inn. GLWYN

IshuliSun 30-Jun-19 09:03 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2255 posts
#136955, "Great job. NT"
In response to Reply #25

Great character, you seemed amusing any time I looked.

Gorumburphus (Anonymous)Sun 30-Jun-19 09:39 PM
Charter member
#136956, "All-Time List of Top Enemy Interactions"
In response to Reply #25

Well done, man.

As Gren, you had the full respect (and fear) of Gorumburphus.

As a player, you made it onto my list of favorite enemy interactions.

It tore me up inside, destroying that flail. But Maggorgum had to. And after that, Maggorgum of course bragged about it to everyone.

Thanks for all the fun.

xyfaMon 01-Jul-19 12:08 PM
152 posts
#136968, "You were great."
In response to Reply #6

All your yells that time without the head in the wastes killed me. I'm glad you enjoyed the interactions, I had a ton of fun with them too. No hard feelings over the flail at all - I never expected it to be there if I died, it was just too significant an advantage to really expect otherwise. It was really nice to see your character get progressively more dangerous as time went on, and you ate all your losses like a champ.

Brag away, you totally earned it!

saam (Anonymous)Sun 30-Jun-19 10:05 PM
Charter member
#136957, "RE: What a ride!"
In response to Reply #25

came back to this game recently. Actually was wirthin empire but.. as it were the wholist.. how many imperials I just couldnt do it I have to go against power. But you were the sole survivor I think from the days of saam.

Something I want to say is you were literally a cornerstone of the Empire. The long playtimes say something of it but more than that you were beastly. You did a great a-p and to me a great imperial, even if a bit too loyal for me
I cought only the very beginning and tail end of your life, but when watching I see the kolta/sekpak continual duergar until finally get to full loot idiot roll up to get someone, ya know that guy he is after is doin great. Welcome to having a fanclub

I dunno what else to say other than an empire without you will be much harder pressed (especially graitel whom you saved recently with excised return, you mean mean mean giant

xyfaMon 01-Jul-19 12:00 PM
152 posts
#136966, "Great to see you're back, Saam was a beast."
In response to Reply #7

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, Empire is totally stacked at the moment. Was pretty interesting because I've never played during one of the fabled power swings, but I definitely saw that happen this time around - the game was mostly fortress/outlander, then suddenly Empire just took over most of the wholist.

I don't hold the full looting etc against anyone, it sucks when it happens but I know what I signed up for. Its not personally how I do things but each to their own.

Robbing people with excision never got old. I regret nothing.

Viya (Anonymous)Mon 01-Jul-19 12:04 AM
Charter member
#136958, "RE: What a ride!"
In response to Reply #25

Your hours made sense to me since you played a lot during the low peak when I play. We had so many fights and except for the cleave prehero we could not kill each other. Though I think I won 90% of fights making you a master of escape. I tried to indicate to you that I would not take your weapon which I wouldn't and was hoping you would take more risks. Taking your weapon would be like ending your char and that means 1 less person to pk. Our last fight was good, you had full weapon with wands, but I had sanc, prot, aura and stone and so came up on top still, but damn still eviscerates.

I liked you would retrieve, apart from the shamans, empire fairly gutless.

I was worried if you got emperor, sigil and tactics on your char would be mad.

Good luck with your next char Gren.

xyfaMon 01-Jul-19 11:38 AM
152 posts
#136964, "Battles of the graveyard hour."
In response to Reply #8

You definitely won all our fights bar one I think (the one where you came at me with hands instead of daggers). Your dagger melee was so brutal! That cleave was one of only two cleave pvp kills I got.

That last fight at the Maran I saddly didn't have the weapon anymore, but I did have lightning control which made a huge huge difference. I did still have most of my awesome set so my damroll was still really high, just not the > 100 I was at before (and vessel of the pit fiends edge helped this too to an extent). I felt like I got very lucky with stsf cutoff when it counted, too - there was at least one situation where if it'd have fired I would've died.

EmnonMon 01-Jul-19 08:05 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2015
71 posts
#136961, "Great Character.."
In response to Reply #25

I liked Malgren and you were fun to watch. I enjoyed your
thought process with some things and made for some entertaining
moments. Thank you for the time you put into this character and
the positive aspect it brought to the Empire and the game as a
whole.

Emnon

xyfaMon 01-Jul-19 12:26 PM
152 posts
#136970, "He who shall not be named."
In response to Reply #10

Thanks! The thought process was definitely the hardest bit for me to keep consistent. Its good to know I mostly succeeded there. I'm sad I won't get to see the rest of a certain storyline play out, but maybe that'll be incentive to get back to playing sooner rather than later.

Jumbel (Anonymous)Mon 01-Jul-19 08:52 AM
Charter member
#136962, "RE: What a ride!"
In response to Reply #25

Great character man! I am shocked you con died! You were tough and an escape artist - I was rarely able to pin you down outside the village unless everything went right.

Loved our interactions, you had me cracking up several times - even through some of my more frustrating encounters with the empire. And yes, fighting without the head is brutal haha.

Thanks for a great time!

You will be missed!

xyfaMon 01-Jul-19 12:18 PM
152 posts
#136969, "My favourite short enemy."
In response to Reply #11

I think the con death probably came as a surprise to a lot of people. A big part of it was I bled a lot of con early on getting to grips with some things, and because Empire was so dead early on a lot of the things I needed pre hero (wands, weapons, etc) cost me some deaths to gather because I am stubborn. I also had some straight up trolling from teleport - I can safely say I have visited most of the ancient dragons multiple times (except maybe white?), but I also teleport too much because I like visiting new places.

I'm glad you enjoyed our talks, you made me laugh a lot of times as well. Keep it up! Go forth and deathblow someone that isn't me, etc.

Gretheel (Anonymous)Mon 01-Jul-19 12:03 PM
Charter member
#136967, "You'll be missed!"
In response to Reply #25

You were a good presence for Gret, always game to talk and engage in some commerce or something interesting.

Found your char fascinating and sad I never got to hear your backstory, but I always enjoyed having you around.

Make an orc!

SaagkriMon 01-Jul-19 01:54 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
#136971, "RE: What a ride!"
In response to Reply #25

Enjoyed fighting you in the mid-ranks as Stetcho. Stopped enjoying it after you got the Earthquake. Liked Malgren, good job and GLWYN.

Shryker (Anonymous)Mon 01-Jul-19 07:57 PM
Charter member
#136973, "You will be missed"
In response to Reply #25

Man, what a beast! I had no idea you were so old or so close to con death.

Had I known that, it would have been hard to resist a promotion for you-- you would have been truly a force to behold with Sigil. And you clearly put in the hours.

It was fun running around with you. Wishing we could have had some more time together.

Well done, sir.

Lyeine (Anonymous)Tue 02-Jul-19 12:00 AM
Charter member
#136974, "Gren was a beast."
In response to Reply #25

I felt much of respect towards Malrgen, really well done sir. Also I've witnessed your early hours and have to admit that you've done great, learning fast and your attitude just makes me hat off. GLWYN!

Sayra (Anonymous)Tue 02-Jul-19 01:20 AM
Charter member
#136975, "RE: What a ride!"
In response to Reply #25

Oh no! Sorry to see you die. Gren was fun and I was hoping to hear more of your musings. I guess I'll have to wait for them to be immortalized in the Collegio. Can't wait to see your next.

Knella (Anonymous)Tue 02-Jul-19 01:44 AM
Charter member
#136977, "RE: What a ride!"
In response to Reply #25

I liked being around Mal and was your friend. I stole and returned your flail in Thar-Acaqcia because I wanted you to be able to trust me...even with your unholy if need be. Trust doesn't come easy to a thief nor from a Imperial. It was a gamble because who knows what you would have done if I had failed. I'll miss you a lot!

pangenoot (Anonymous)Mon 15-Jul-19 07:11 PM
Charter member
#137030, "RE: What a ride!"
In response to Reply #25

Lots of fun to fight even though the close ones always seemed to go your way. The song rp stuff was fun too. Looking forward to your next character.

Tulhiz/Jalim (Anonymous)Mon 01-Jul-19 05:28 PM
Charter member
#136972, "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS"
In response to Reply #0

Dude running around with you was awesome.

I deleted right before your con death. I was hoping Dread Lord would get Emperor but not enough to vote for him, just so you could get sigil.

What a great character you were.

Alrion (Anonymous)Mon 01-Jul-19 05:49 AM
Charter member
#136960, "RE: (CON LOSS) [EMPIRE] Malgren the Brutal Lyricist, El..."
In response to Reply #0

Well done!!! Really well done, you were a solid presence for Empire
and really came into your stride as you hit hero range. As time went
by the fights certainly went up in difficulty. While you had a few
close moments I was certainly not without mine.

I don't often do comparisons ...

I truly felt like I was Ahab near the end and you were Moby, I almost
had you so many times but you just kept getting away no matter how
much I hunted you down.

GLWYN

xyfaMon 01-Jul-19 11:51 AM
152 posts
#136965, "Haha, its a good comparrison."
In response to Reply #9

You were definitely the stick that I measured myself against,. It was a fight I was never sure quite how it was going to go towards the end, which kept it really exciting. Particularly notable since low dex chars tended to get annihilated by my melee, so the fact that you would consistently smash me was pretty awesome. I have a bunch of logs just titled different variations on "Alrion almost recks me again". You are such an aggressive player you had me constantly paranoid!

Gaspare GnazzoSun 30-Jun-19 08:00 PM
Member since 13th Mar 2016
54 posts
#136951, "Global Echoes"
In response to Reply #0

Your heart skips a beat as a giant bellows long and loud, conveying anguish... and relief.

Soon, you hear a powerful spirit strain against its rattling chains. Its disembodied voice rumbles like thunder:

"Farewell my audience, it is my time to go. The curtain falls upon our act. So ends this tragic show."

A cadre of Imperial Centurions marches a massive, ivory casket to the docks of Hamsah Mu'tazz, where they load it onto an cargo ship sailing east.

Upon the ship, an enslaved elf with a golden voice sings the most enchanting funerary melody you've ever heard.

After the song, the elf is shoved into the giant casket and locked in, next to Malgren's eternally grinning corpse.

==

(Corrected a couple of minor mistakes made in the live version)

Gaspare GnazzoSun 30-Jun-19 07:55 PM
Member since 13th Mar 2016
54 posts
#136950, "Really excellent"
In response to Reply #0

Malgren was consistently excellent (and excellently consistent) in terms of roleplay. Like, startlingly so. I never witnessed even a veiled OOC reference. You were just completely immersed and immersive.

Beyond that, you were always ready to mix it up. Maybe too ready, sometimes. But you gave it twice as well as you got it. The poems were great, even the ones you came up with on the spot. Really a cool and interesting character.

I'm sure you'll miss Malgren at least as much as I will. Judging by how crazy-high your hours were, though, I bet you're probably ready for a break, anyway.

Really well done, and best of luck on your next!

xyfaSun 30-Jun-19 08:21 PM
152 posts
#136953, "Thank you!"
In response to Reply #1

I had a ridiculous amount of fun as this one. I'll miss the character tons, its definitely my favourite so far by a landslide. I got super into it and tried to keep things as consistent as I could, which got way harder than I expected given the number of hours I was kicking around for.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #136949 Previous topic | Next topic