Subject: "(CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Quinloc Han the Shadowed Strategist..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #136776
Show all folders

Death_AngelThu 16-May-19 04:09 PM
Member since 22nd Sep 2024
17176 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#136776, "(CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Quinloc Han the Shadowed Strategist, Commander of Battle, Champion of the Massacre"

Sat May 11 23:56:36 2019

At 1 o'clock PM, Day of the Sun, 34th of the Month of the Winter Wolf
on the Theran calendar Quinloc perished, never to return.

Race:human
Class:assassin
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:415

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Quinloc Han the Shadowed Strate..., Grunkul (Anonymous), 16-May-19 02:53 PM, #38
Reply Thanks, Twist, 18-May-19 09:28 AM, #46
Reply Over a year old..., Twist, 12-May-19 05:17 PM, #3
Reply Great job. , Lhydia, 12-May-19 07:18 PM, #4
Reply RE: Great job. , Twist, 12-May-19 09:22 PM, #10
     Reply Ajheval, Lhydia, 12-May-19 09:36 PM, #14
          Reply RE: Ajheval, Twist, 12-May-19 09:45 PM, #15
Reply Great character! , Demos, 12-May-19 07:26 PM, #5
Reply RE: Great character! , Twist, 12-May-19 09:18 PM, #9
Reply Ugh...., Welverin, 12-May-19 08:18 PM, #6
Reply Gonna need a name, my man..., Twist, 12-May-19 09:13 PM, #7
     Reply Horis , Welverin, 13-May-19 04:33 AM, #18
          Reply Thanks for supplying the name..., Twist, 13-May-19 09:56 PM, #25
               Reply Thanks for the log and reply, Welverin, 16-May-19 11:32 AM, #36
                    Reply As a neutral third party, Jormyr, 16-May-19 01:52 PM, #37
                         Reply Last statement, Welverin, 16-May-19 09:10 PM, #39
                              Reply RE: Last statement, Twist, 16-May-19 11:41 PM, #40
                                   Reply So Yeah..., Welverin, 17-May-19 08:28 AM, #41
                                   Reply RE: So Yeah..., Twist, 17-May-19 08:53 AM, #42
                                   Reply You're right, I'm wrong., Welverin, 18-May-19 05:50 AM, #44
Reply I got to enjoy your interactions across two characters., SPN, 12-May-19 09:24 PM, #11
Reply Ention was cool., Twist, 12-May-19 09:28 PM, #13
Reply paper thin rp veneer, Dallevian, 12-May-19 10:51 PM, #16
Reply RE: Over a year old..., TJHuron, 12-May-19 11:33 PM, #17
Reply Nice, Mcbeth, 13-May-19 09:50 AM, #19
Reply btw, if you have everything logged..., Mcbeth, 13-May-19 02:03 PM, #22
     Reply Hmmm, Twist, 13-May-19 10:25 PM, #26
          Reply RE: Hmmm, Mcbeth, 14-May-19 08:36 AM, #30
Reply Spot on. Both character, and perceptions., Jormyr, 13-May-19 10:27 AM, #20
Reply The cabal has requirements already =(, Lhydia, 13-May-19 10:31 AM, #21
Reply RE: Spot on. Both character, and perceptions., Twist, 13-May-19 10:27 PM, #27
Reply It's not that your character concept was shoved down yo..., Kstatida, 22-May-19 06:30 AM, #48
Reply RE: Oliopterix, Quixotic, 13-May-19 06:27 PM, #23
Reply RE: Oliopterix, Twist, 13-May-19 10:34 PM, #28
     Reply Shrine, Panmorne, 14-May-19 08:56 AM, #31
          Reply Chaotic Mage Raids, TJHuron, 14-May-19 11:23 AM, #33
Reply RE: Over a year old..., Glsirevptliz (Anonymous), 13-May-19 09:48 PM, #24
Reply Nah..., Twist, 13-May-19 10:35 PM, #29
     Reply RE: Nah..., Galbersplortch (Anonymous), 15-May-19 12:05 AM, #34
          Reply Vanish is amazing., Twist, 15-May-19 08:53 AM, #35
Reply Oi!, Panmorne, 14-May-19 09:03 AM, #32
Reply I think it was you..., Village idiot (Anonymous), 17-May-19 06:00 PM, #43
Reply RE: Over a year old..., saam (Anonymous), 18-May-19 09:00 AM, #45
     Reply Shame on me., Emnon, 21-May-19 06:42 PM, #47
          Reply RE: Shame on me., Kstatida, 22-May-19 06:56 AM, #49
Reply Holy crap, I was expecting you to age die!, Blkdrgn, 12-May-19 12:06 PM, #2
Reply RE: Holy crap, I was expecting you to age die!, Twist, 12-May-19 09:25 PM, #12
Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Quinloc Han the Shadowed Strate..., cassock (Anonymous), 12-May-19 12:08 AM, #1
     Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Quinloc Han the Shadowed Strate..., Twist, 12-May-19 09:16 PM, #8

Grunkul (Anonymous)Thu 16-May-19 04:09 PM
Charter member
#136832, "RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Quinloc Han the Shadowed Strate..."
In response to Reply #0

I barely saw you but a couple of times. Might just be the times I play, as mostly it’s during morning hours right now, but I didn’t have anything bad to say about you. You kicked the hell out of me and I really didn’t have much of a chance. My build is so obscure, that I knew I’d be meat and are meat to most I play against. You didn’t kill me, I don’t think? You were a good fight and reminded me how good mark of the prey is because you always showed up where I was.

I was trying to get you out of your game but you didn’t fall for it. Assassins have too much and was not fun to fight them, and especially one that was a villager.

You were a small piece of light in a thera that has so many children. Good character.

TwistSat 18-May-19 09:28 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#136841, "Thanks"
In response to Reply #38

No I don't think I ever killed you - I think we only fought a couple of times. Our playtimes definitely didn't line up. When you were trying to taunt me about how I was never awake I was like "Really dude? I've never seen you either."

Just how things go.

TwistSun 12-May-19 05:17 PM
3431 posts
#136784, "Over a year old..."
In response to Reply #0

This may be the longest I've played a mortal. And still only 415 hours. An average of just a little over 1 hour per day.

And that's what I tried to do, especially once I had a leadership position - play at least 1 hour a day. I didn't always succeed - family stuff came into play at times, and other things.

So Quinloc was initially an experiment, to take the same edges that Enhal had and see if throw/ground control seemed more reasonable. It took a long time for me to accrue enough EP to take the edges that I needed to evaluate it fairly, but eventually I did. I think throw is in a good place now. It isn't an "I win" button but it can definitely win you some fights that the various kicks might not. Instead of "You'd be stupid not to use throw." I feel like throw is now another good option in the assassin arsenal.

I also wanted to help out Grord. I'd fought against him as Enhal and he seemed, at that time, to be a pretty stand-up rager. So I decided that my next char would be a rager when I was done with Enhal.

At first I tried to be a very low-profile presence in the Village. I see a lot of players that get inducted and then a week later are very clearly showing that they've played a ton of ragers in the past and get downright overbearing.

Quinloc started out sounding almost like he spoke "dumb giant" style - but I wanted to show that Common (or Theran, or whatever you want to call it) wasn't his first language. And I didn't want to do any sort of Asian stereotype for it.

Because he was such a long-lived character, I was able to RP his speaking skills improving with time. It probably cost me a kill or two - typing out "cb Moving Pal-argh. *I AM* moving to *the* Palace." may have made it so whoever was at the Palace was gone by the time I got there. But oh well.

As Commander, Quinloc had an easy-in/easy-out philosophy. For one thing, due to only playing an hour per day at most, I knew it might be tough for people to find me once they got their mage kill. So I wasn't going to make them jump through more hoops. I believe our barriers to entering cabals are too steep as it is. Everyone should be able to join the cabal they are looking to join unless their roleplay is abysmal. At least, that's how it was when I started playing CF.

Even though I say it was easy-out, I only uninducted one person, and that was because he attacked a non-mage for a terrible reason (right in front of me - he even said "Sorry Commander" right before doing it).

This is partly because Quinloc, as a Scout, wasn't so gung-ho about Parity. But it is mostly because I never really received any (valid) complaints, nor did I witness any lack of Parity or lack of Courage.

Re: Berserkers needing 3 mage kills. Not my policy. Not any Commander's. That came from Jormyr. Recently rescinded (1 mage kill for berserkers just like everyone else) but Jormyr's not happy about it. May change back. As a Scout, Quinloc found it insulting. Quinloc had the most mage kills in the Village by far, so why should it be perceived that Berserkers were in any way 'superior' and therefore required higher standards? I asked about changing it when I got Commander but was told no. Well, I was told something along the lines of "Sure, but Jormyr might kill you."

Speaking of Scouts - completely viable build. Much more of a balanced playstyle, almost like utility focus shapeshifter. I'm sure there were fights where I could have sealed the kill easier as a berserker, and probably fights I could have survived if I had been a defender. But as a scout, I had a lot better chance against a lot of builds that are tough for berserkers/defenders. Most defensive forms (especially the dodgy ones) were no match for critical hit. Invokers were easy for me to rip through - not just via critical hit but because they pretty much couldn't cast any spell on me. The time-tested tactic of going underwater so an assassin can't use most of his moves? That's fine, critical hit works underwater. Just a lot of utility. And not stepping out of the shadows to call resist, truesight and spellbane was HUGEly helpful for stalking.

All in all this was a fun character. Most of the characters I interacted with were good experiences. Thanks to all of you.

Some specific goodbyes - after a year I know I'll miss a ton. Sorry.

Panmorne: You were great to RP with. Unfortunately after I got your tattoo and we finished up Oliopterix's quest, there just...wasn't a lot of reason for Quinloc to come by the Command Tent and chat. I probably could have taken an Avatar/Speaker of Panmorne angle or something like that, but that wasn't really Quinloc's style (shadowy lurker preaching Panmorne's praises from the mountaintop?) and frankly I've done that character a few times and I didn't have it in me.

Jormyr: Ouch. I liked that Jormyr the God didn't like Quinloc. Made sense with both of our characters' RP. But I did sense that Jormyr the Imm enjoyed Quinloc to some degree. Hope that's the case.

Umiron: Thanks for the RC win. When you gave me stalker's eye, you completely changed my approach to how I was going to play Quinloc (for the better). Until that point I'd been considering being an assassinate-assassin like Enhal. But being a stalk/martial trance assassin made me try new things and really added to my enjoyment of the character.

Whoever gave me dispelling critical: HA! THANK YOU for making me feel vindicated. When I gave out dispelling critical as a RC prize back last November, the guy I gave it to bitched about how it was worthless and didn't do anything. Wow, were you wrong dude. I know me having it annoyed the hell out of a lot of mages I fought over the past few months. It didn't just strip flight from potions. One necro lost wraithform like...5 times in a row or something crazy. It didn't ALWAYS work that well, but when it did, it totally turned a fight.

Rastensol: It was tough when you were going through your quest. *I* knew that it was going to bring back Gaspare, but Quinloc didn't. So he could only tell you he had reservations about some "ritual" - seemed too much like magic. I never expected you to uninduct yourself over it (and I didn't actually even notice it at first - I was still talking to you over cb).

Oliopterix: Heh, I liked your style of being a cheating bastard. Except when it bit me in the Rites. Thanks for leaving me with that damn quest to seal up Pico's Shrine.

Bendegoh: Thanks for being a good Drillmaster. Sorry about that last thing we discussed. I would have been fine with you taking me to the circle.

Ihjezhed: You were fun to have around, and a good DM.

Bellin: I'm glad you were able to rein in your temper in your latter years, shorty.

Other villagers: I had a lot of fun with you guys and gals. Good hunting.

I had a ton of non-Village allies, and a lot of great enemies. But I'm running out of time (and possibly space) in this post, so I'm going to wrap it up for now, other than two other shout-outs:

Eioda: One of the meanest things I've done in the past few years was probably saccing all of your traps. But, you were going out of your way to be annoying, both verbally and tactically. So when I finally caught up to you, I decided to do it. Sorry not sorry.

Gilversplitz: My nemesis. I could never pin you down long enough to seal the kill, and you got me multiple times. It was frustrating, and some of that frustration bled through in our communication. Sorry if that diminished your experience at all.

Thanks for everything, everyone.

LhydiaSun 12-May-19 07:18 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2390 posts
#136785, "Great job. "
In response to Reply #3

My greatest Quinloc moment was flying to you and reverting to have a conversation because I thought you were some Herald. Had a huge brain fart and was so mad at myself after that. I acted like I flew to you for other reasons and died but jesus christ no, just let me fly to the commander of battle unprepped and revert.

TwistSun 12-May-19 09:22 PM
3431 posts
#136791, "RE: Great job. "
In response to Reply #4

Damn, I don't remember that. And I'm sorry I don't because it sounds awesome.

I actually based Quinloc's leadership style a bit after you. I forget the name, but you had an assassin Commander a few years ago when I had a rager. Not sure if I was playing Caitlyan or Urgandtol or someone else at the time? Anyways you had a pretty easy-going command style and had the easy-in/easy-out policy - I pretty much copied that.

LhydiaSun 12-May-19 09:36 PM
2390 posts
#136795, "Ajheval"
In response to Reply #10

Yeah I'm that way with pretty much every cabal unless I've observed douchebaggery.

#### Jormyr and his policy. There are usually 3 players at 5am when I am kid free and can play CF. You get this great character concept in your head and you're excited to play it out, then reality sets in and you haven't gotten a mage kill in an entire week, and not because you can't pk and are new to the game. Blah blah blah dedication sure whatever, but after a week of sitting around waiting I'm just going to roll another shifter instead.

TwistSun 12-May-19 09:45 PM
3431 posts
#136796, "RE: Ajheval"
In response to Reply #14

>Yeah I'm that way with pretty much every cabal unless I've
>observed douchebaggery.
>
>#### Jormyr and his policy. There are usually 3 players at 5am
>when I am kid free and can play CF. You get this great
>character concept in your head and you're excited to play it
>out, then reality sets in and you haven't gotten a mage kill
>in an entire week, and not because you can't pk and are new to
>the game. Blah blah blah dedication sure whatever, but after a
>week of sitting around waiting I'm just going to roll another
>shifter instead.

Well to be fair, it isn't like you can't get inducted. You just couldn't choose Berserker path until you got your third kill. Which, once you have truesight, spellbane and resist, it's just a matter of time.

DemosSun 12-May-19 07:26 PM
Member since 20th Apr 2003
211 posts
#136786, "Great character! "
In response to Reply #3

Every time you logged on when I was thirisg I knew that I would have at least half a chance at not being roflstomped lol. Thanks for all the fun w that guy. Also holy sweet christ I remember you being fast in the race I held as DM. I surprised the hell out of you w a shark once too, which was one of my prouder moments lol. Glwyn.

TwistSun 12-May-19 09:18 PM
3431 posts
#136790, "RE: Great character! "
In response to Reply #5

Oh yeah Thirisg! I kept trying to remember who was DM for that race thing. That was a cool event, glad you did it.

WelverinSun 12-May-19 08:18 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
624 posts
#136787, "Ugh...."
In response to Reply #3

My only real interaction was with your and bendegoh coming after me when I have my invoker... was kinda meh to have both of you on me at once.... especially considering your comments about not witnessing that stuff when you paricipated in it your self....

I get that scouts aren’t bound to parity like berserkers, I guess I would just expect different from a commander.

TwistSun 12-May-19 09:13 PM
3431 posts
#136788, "Gonna need a name, my man..."
In response to Reply #6

I don't recall what you're talking about. Not saying it didn't happen, but can you give me the name of the char you're talking about?

I've looked through the goodbye threads on Dio's (man you roll a lot of characters) but I'm all the way back to Rilear and I'm not finding any invokers...?

When I get a name, I'll look through my logs to try to find what you're talking about.

WelverinMon 13-May-19 04:33 AM
624 posts
#136799, "Horis "
In response to Reply #7

And no I am not proud of the name....

TwistMon 13-May-19 09:56 PM
3431 posts
#136807, "Thanks for supplying the name..."
In response to Reply #18

I can see how from your POV it looked like there were two of us there to fight you.

From my POV though, it looks like you quit out to avoid being stalked and being marked.

Log here: http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=53&topic_id=3572&mesg_id=3575&page=

WelverinThu 16-May-19 11:32 AM
624 posts
#136829, "Thanks for the log and reply"
In response to Reply #25

I almost always love your characters. You were the first to show me how to get into Organia all those years ago with Dupmasione. But this time you are just full on wrong.

I'd been logged in for more than an hour. I have never, in all my CF career, logged of to avoid stalks and/or clear a mark. Not once. But when I look at the timer on my client and see that it's over an hour, and just had a leader of the Village(Non evil, so really not my "enemy") come after me at the same time as a berserker(Not sure he was DM yet) and I get away, yeah, I'm going to probably not feel too bad about logging out after a semi long session. In fact I tried to keep the fight going as your log shows, then just kinda said, meh, not worth my time.

I'm sure Quinloc had lots of redeeming RP moments and quality interactions, this just wasn't one of them.

JormyrThu 16-May-19 01:52 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
#136831, "As a neutral third party"
In response to Reply #36

I don't think any part of tbis shows poor action on anyone's part. Quinloc and Bendegoh are are working to kill a mage, but only Bendegoh is fighting him. As Twist mentions, Jelupino actually makes it pretty fair to both attack you anyways, and isn't insignificant given summoning and healing.

As it went, Quinloc still only used the opportunity to mark you.

I also don't think Twist was implying you were quitting just to drop the mark, merely commenting the difference perspective makes. It definity starts to feel like it happens all the time when you play an assassin. Even you mention that the both of them was a part of the reason you decided to quit. No judgement - I certainly have had those moments where you decide "Meh, I'd rather do something else right now."

However, I do have to poke fun at "an hour" being a semi-long session. That's like minimum to accomplish anything useful for me. Like...4-6 is when I start thinking maybe I should get a life for the day and do something productive :p

WelverinThu 16-May-19 09:10 PM
624 posts
#136834, "Last statement"
In response to Reply #37

THe log posted isn’t complete.

1) Jelupino logged in as a ghost after the fight we th bendegoh started. I don’t know when quinloc showed.

2) I wish I had the log, but for sure quinloc did more than just mark me. They both participated in the fight.

As I said, I love twist chars, and I am sure this one had great moments because he always does, this just wasn’t one of them.

TwistThu 16-May-19 11:41 PM
3431 posts
#136835, "RE: Last statement"
In response to Reply #39

>THe log posted isn’t complete.
>
>1) Jelupino logged in as a ghost after the fight we th
>bendegoh started. I don’t know when quinloc showed.

The log shows this. Jelupino is on where and not in PK, then enters PK range. Bendegoh even says "Here is the ghost paladin." Not sure why you'd say anything about this when it's clear in the log...?

>2) I wish I had the log, but for sure quinloc did more than
>just mark me. They both participated in the fight.

Ok whoa. I was willing to let this go as you just not really understanding what happened. But now you're calling me a liar.

I pored over that logfile to make sure I never touched you in combat. The only stuff snipped from that log is extraneous things like spamming where and such. No combat with you. Quinloc never entered combat with you. A simple search in a logfile for "Horis is" will show anytime a round of combat would go past (Horis is gushing blood or Horis is in perfect health, that sort of thing). Every instance of "Horis is" ends with the word here. As in every single one is me seeing you in a room.

I like you in general, man, but not cool.

>As I said, I love twist chars, and I am sure this one had
>great moments because he always does, this just wasn’t one
>of them.

WelverinFri 17-May-19 08:28 AM
624 posts
#136836, "So Yeah..."
In response to Reply #40

You are right, you never actually touched me. I get that. But riddle me this batman, was your intent, coming into the Watcher to never touch me? What do you expect another player to think when the two of you come into the Fortress, TO THE WATCHER, that you have no intention of fighting? Really? Come on man, lets be honest, you even said in your goodbye that you didn't give Parity much thought....

But you are right, you never actually touched me in the log, but damn it sure looked like you wanted to.... Sorry you feel like I'm calling you a liar. Just trying to express the fact that perception here is reality. You came in after I had been fighting Bendy, you killed the Maran, to come in after me. You WENT TO THE WATCHER. What is a guy supposed to think? "Oh, he's not after me, he's just... horsing around."....

Anyway. Sorry to get you all up in arms. Just trying to explain my side of it.

If you want to take it private, you are more than welcome to man. I don't want to derail your death thread any more than I already have.

TwistFri 17-May-19 08:53 AM
3431 posts
#136837, "RE: So Yeah..."
In response to Reply #41

>You are right, you never actually touched me. I get that.
>But riddle me this batman, was your intent, coming into the
>Watcher to never touch me? What do you expect another player
>to think when the two of you come into the Fortress, TO THE
>WATCHER, that you have no intention of fighting? Really?
>Come on man, lets be honest, you even said in your goodbye
>that you didn't give Parity much thought....

I specifically said in my post where I link to the log that I can see where your perception would be that way.

>But you are right, you never actually touched me in the log,
>but damn it sure looked like you wanted to.... Sorry you feel
>like I'm calling you a liar. Just trying to express the fact
>that perception here is reality. You came in after I had been
>fighting Bendy, you killed the Maran, to come in after me.
>You WENT TO THE WATCHER. What is a guy supposed to think?
>"Oh, he's not after me, he's just... horsing around."....

I had several opportunities to strike you. But you were Bendegoh's fight. Once I got you marked, I left. And I don't "feel" like you're calling me a liar. Your post said my log was incomplete, and then "I wish I had the log, but for sure quinloc did more than just mark me. They both participated in the fight."

>Anyway. Sorry to get you all up in arms. Just trying to
>explain my side of it.
>
>If you want to take it private, you are more than welcome to
>man. I don't want to derail your death thread any more than I
>already have.

WelverinSat 18-May-19 05:50 AM
624 posts
#136839, "You're right, I'm wrong."
In response to Reply #40

Sorry

SPNSun 12-May-19 09:24 PM
Member since 24th Oct 2004
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#136792, "I got to enjoy your interactions across two characters."
In response to Reply #3

First as Kerubiel. All I could think when you were first inducted and we're pretty quiet was "here goes another murder all village assassin..." I didn't stick around to see otherwise.

Then as Ention I really gained an appreciation for Quinloc. While we were both lone types, I at least felt like we had a mutual respect. If I was in town, you wouldn't break the laws even if there was an easy kill. Don't know if that was out of fear of the flag or respect for me... And I like to think it was the later. Too bad we never got a chance to talk Panmor e's religion more.

Thanks for all you do as a mort and otherwise.

TwistSun 12-May-19 09:28 PM
3431 posts
#136794, "Ention was cool."
In response to Reply #11

Generally Quinloc didn't do anything that would acquire a flag unless he was pretty certain of getting the kill.

With Ention around, it would have had to be someone I could permalag and kill in a couple rounds, because otherwise special guards would rescue them and they'd suddenly be getting healing and I'd be having to withdraw.

Flags are just such a nuisance to a stalker-type character.

DallevianSun 12-May-19 10:50 PM
1639 posts
#136797, "paper thin rp veneer"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Sun 12-May-19 10:51 PM

I knew it was you the moment you told me how to lose the confuse affect.

And then to chastise me for not using a poison weapon or something. lol. I leaned back in my chair and said 'yup, figured you are twist'. Not a lot of folks knowingly walk into a 2v1 permagank without deathblow (you died). Not many people retrieve the head balls out and watch their comrade eat it and be like 'shrug, sorry bro, but i got mine' (i died, but we got the head back). But you do!

You're like a successful version of my play style.

Urkael

TJHuronSun 12-May-19 11:33 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#136798, "RE: Over a year old..."
In response to Reply #3

Well done! I did not peg this guy as you but it wasn’t for lack of skill or anything. You had that in abundance and always edged Rastensol in any competition.

Thanks for sharing that about the quest. Haha that must’ve been quite interesting for you as the player to see me bumble through that knowing what would happen. I actually expected it would probably be something not so great for Rast so I had prepared myself to accept the worst. When it all went down I had a feeling I would have gotten a slap on the wrist but it didn’t feel right so I uninducted myself. Maybe part of it was due to my preparing for the worst and then I made sure it was the worst.

It was probably the best decision I made for that character. It opened up tons of fun RP doors.

I was always curious on your perspective through out it all though. I got a pretty strong RP vibe from Quinloc most of the time that he probably didn’t like Rast but was willing to tolerate him and keep him around the Village.

When Panmorne told me my path back to the Village was up to you I thought I was in for a rough time or possibly SOL all together. You didn’t make it easy either but it was so much fun going through it. I am actually still a bit surprised I managed to get the MPKs without powers.

So when I did make it back I didn’t think there was a chance in hell you wanted me back as DM. Ironically, I did want it at first but then accepted it wasn’t going to happen so I just decided to con die and hoped to make Mageslayer before that happened. And then the massacre happened.

We had that conversation after the Massacre and you confirmed that you didn’t want me as DM but sounded like you were willing to change your mind on it. I decided to go with the spiteful direction and used that conversation and Quinloc as part of the motivation the ask Daph for the con quest. At the time I was 2 MPKs short of Mageslayer so Rast needed to live longer so he could hit that mark and show Quinloc. I am pretty sure I even wrote about it in the role. Haha. Now I’m wondering if you knew about all that behind the scenes?

Anyways, good fun and well done. Always a pleasure bumping into your chars in game.

McbethMon 13-May-19 09:50 AM
Member since 21st Jul 2015
257 posts
#136801, "Nice"
In response to Reply #3

Enjoyed you for the hot minute I played Ruan, the Rites were a lot of fun. I'm definitely a fan of the "quick interview to make sure you're not a total turd; state the rules; quick induct" leadership style!

McbethMon 13-May-19 02:03 PM
257 posts
#136804, "btw, if you have everything logged..."
In response to Reply #19

I would love to see your perspective of the one where Ruan logged in while you were fighting in the village and you killed one or two of the raiders.

TwistMon 13-May-19 10:25 PM
3431 posts
#136808, "Hmmm"
In response to Reply #22

I have everything (I think) logged, but searching my logs for "Ruan has joined us in the fray of battle." only returns a few hits, and none of them are ones where I kill raiders.

But I think this is the log you're talking about...?

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=53&topic_id=3572&mesg_id=3577&page=

McbethTue 14-May-19 08:36 AM
257 posts
#136819, "RE: Hmmm"
In response to Reply #26

Cool, that looks like the one I had in mind. Nail biter!

JormyrMon 13-May-19 10:27 AM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
#136802, "Spot on. Both character, and perceptions."
In response to Reply #3

Jormyr: Ouch. I liked that Jormyr the God didn't like Quinloc. Made
sense with both of our characters' RP. But I did sense that Jormyr
the Imm enjoyed Quinloc to some degree. Hope that's the case.

You're right on all counts. Have to admit, my gut sank a little bit
seeing your name on this farewell. "Great, I reamed Twist out.
There goes *MY* CF career!" Probably the toughest challenge I find
is playing a chaotic, evil, brutish frost giant by his RP, yet
tempering him enough that he's not unfun for people to interact with.
There is definitely reasons both ICly as Jormyr, and admin as
Battle-Imm-hat for that rule. I would say that that policy (or one
similar) will likely always remain as a possibility at various times
in the future.

That said, Jormyr doesn't like pretty much anyone that isn't
worshipping him, and tends to communicate with an axe more than
words.

I probably never paid quite as much attention to Quinloc as I
should have, but given you were one of Panmorne's kids and always
came across quite solid, I neither had to worry about shenanigans
or worry about getting enough love. Will definitely take some
doing to fill your shoes.

Random final comment - remind me to hit you up sometime about the
cabal requirements. I had an idea that I need to run by Panmorne.

LhydiaMon 13-May-19 10:31 AM
2390 posts
#136803, "The cabal has requirements already =("
In response to Reply #20

Unless your change is once an applicant tips the veil by -2500 points they get applicant status.

That would be a good change.

Also I love you even though I don't like your berserker requirements.

TwistMon 13-May-19 10:27 PM
3431 posts
#136809, "RE: Spot on. Both character, and perceptions."
In response to Reply #20

>Jormyr: Ouch. I liked that Jormyr the God didn't like
>Quinloc. Made
>sense with both of our characters' RP. But I did sense that
>Jormyr
>the Imm enjoyed Quinloc to some degree. Hope that's the case.
>
>
>You're right on all counts. Have to admit, my gut sank a
>little bit
>seeing your name on this farewell. "Great, I reamed Twist
>out.
>There goes *MY* CF career!"

Nah. My mortals need to be yelled at just like others, when they screw up. Of course in this case Quinloc didn't screw up, but I totally enjoyed the interaction.

KstatidaWed 22-May-19 06:30 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#136863, "It's not that your character concept was shoved down yo..."
In response to Reply #20

Play something you and players would enjoy more.

QuixoticMon 13-May-19 06:27 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
837 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#136805, "RE: Oliopterix"
In response to Reply #3

Assassins can be tough even when they are not played by a vet such as yourself, and Oli was definitely one to leverage every advantage he could in order to achieve his goals. I knew you were disgruntled by how it played out, but Quinloc/you were a trooper and made a name for yourself all the same.

I was shocked to see Pico's shrine closed, as I had heard nothing about the quest I had created still being continued. With subsequent characters since Oli I knew it -had- been closed, but I had chalked it up as a behind-the-scenes ooc change. I am glad that someone was able to do it IC: would you or Panmorne write up how it all went down?

To finish this up, I have interacted with Quinloc with other characters, and for all of them you were a rock I was happy to stand by. I look forward to your next, as always.

TwistMon 13-May-19 10:34 PM
3431 posts
#136810, "RE: Oliopterix"
In response to Reply #23

>Assassins can be tough even when they are not played by a vet
>such as yourself, and Oli was definitely one to leverage every
>advantage he could in order to achieve his goals. I knew you
>were disgruntled by how it played out, but Quinloc/you were a
>trooper and made a name for yourself all the same.

Quinloc was disgruntled - he'd outperformed everyone in the Rites until the grand melee, but wasn't really given a shot at DM.

As the player behind it, though, it made perfect sense to me. Quinloc was only around sparingly and sort of came "out of nowhere" to do so well in the Rites.

>I was shocked to see Pico's shrine closed, as I had heard
>nothing about the quest I had created still being continued.
>With subsequent characters since Oli I knew it -had- been
>closed, but I had chalked it up as a behind-the-scenes ooc
>change. I am glad that someone was able to do it IC: would you
>or Panmorne write up how it all went down?

Panmorne took Quinloc aside and gave him the details of what you had done so far. Quinloc paid the King in Akan 750 gold to give him something that a dark-elf had left with them. I forget what it was. A rock or something.

The rock gave Quinloc a vision when he touched it. The vision was of stone that repelled magic. Several blocks of it. At the foot of a large mountain.

Nothing much happened with that for a while. In the meantime, a few sappers (including the aforementioned dark-elf) made contact with Quinloc from time to time. Sort of inching things along.

Behind the scenes, I believe Panmorne was working on getting things set up for the shrine area to be removed. So he couldn't go too fast. Plus, with my sporadic playtimes, we didn't connect as often as we might have.

Eventually another sapper with an affinity for nature or something called Quinloc to him, and said he'd help find the stones from his vision. They ended up being at the Jade Mountains. Quinloc called a couple other Villagers who were on at the time and we hauled the stones to the Village. Each weighed 200 pounds so we could only carry 1 or 2 at a time.

My playtimes varied quite a bit after that. I think there was something that went on once when I wasn't logged in, some raiders coming or something. I did log in in the middle of some elementals attacking the giant and stuff. I think it was related.

Eventually, I logged in and the shrine had been sealed up. Panmorne can elaborate a bit more on that if he likes.

>To finish this up, I have interacted with Quinloc with other
>characters, and for all of them you were a rock I was happy to
>stand by. I look forward to your next, as always.

Thanks! Oliopterix was fun, and I typically enjoy your characters.

PanmorneTue 14-May-19 08:56 AM
Member since 03rd Jul 2018
28 posts
#136820, "Shrine"
In response to Reply #28

Accurate as can be. The plot came from Oliopterix's ideas involving the Bones of Nordiach, among other things. From then I coordinated a bit with Thror to talk how the Sapper stuff would work out, and to make sure I had his approval to use Sapper things at all.

After that the quest was like you explained here. Olio started it, and it moved along after his death. Collecting some items, carrying some stones, a rough fight at the High Lord's Keep, and then some raids on the Village by some chaotic magic forces.

At that point the hardest part was coordination. I was trying to time having a coder willing to close the shrine and fire a reboot with when I was on, and when Quinloc was on. After about 2 weeks or so, it was clear that wasn't happening. So the ending was more silent than planned, but you clever bastards made it happen all the same.

So the comment about playtimes and trying to get things set up was right, since making everything match up was damned hard.

You giving Akan's king all that gold gave me a decent laugh, since you sure as hell could have gotten what you needed at least 5 others ways that I had thought out. But throwing money at a dwarf sure makes them happy.

TJHuronTue 14-May-19 11:23 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
#136824, "Chaotic Mage Raids"
In response to Reply #31

I’ll have to see if I have the log of the first chaotic mags raid that was started because it was funny as hell.

Here I am as Rastensol fighting some mummy (Saam I think) and got beat up pretty good and was hightailing it back to the Village.

While I’m running I see the giant yell the village was being attacked by Kryldor. It registered as super odd but barely as I was focused on hauling ass to safety.

I remember making it to just outside the village and feeling a bit of relief as I’m really really close to death only to walk into the giant and have Kryldor cast an ice ball and kill me. Definitely one of my most amusing deaths!

Glsirevptliz (Anonymous)Mon 13-May-19 09:48 PM
Charter member
#136806, "RE: Over a year old..."
In response to Reply #3

Its cool. I hope you don't think less of me for being a little choosy when and how I fight a dude who knows how to shut down many of my tricks.

TwistMon 13-May-19 10:35 PM
3431 posts
#136811, "Nah..."
In response to Reply #24

Like I said - I'd get frustrated by it, but when a guy takes a step back it's like "Well yeah but that's probably exactly how I'd play it."

Galbersplortch (Anonymous)Wed 15-May-19 12:05 AM
Charter member
#136825, "RE: Nah..."
In response to Reply #29

As a sidenote, I am in awe of your pathing ability. There were times when I had you on the ropes and you'd just vanish off the face of Thera, flyto be damned.

TwistWed 15-May-19 08:53 AM
3431 posts
#136826, "Vanish is amazing."
In response to Reply #34

Weald has a lot of exit points. Some simply don't work for regular walking (even if you're flying) but work with vanish.

PanmorneTue 14-May-19 09:03 AM
Member since 03rd Jul 2018
28 posts
#136821, "Oi!"
In response to Reply #3

You damnable subtle bastard, sneaking into the grave as much as you were sneaking around killing people.

I liked Quinloc a lot in general, and found your no-nonsense approach to Pan's #### a hell of a lot of fun to play off of. One of the hard things about dealing with you was that Pan is used to dealing with know-nothing whelps who deserve a good bruising. Instead every time I checked in on you, you were competent in pretty much everything.

I remember even saying at one point to other imms that the nice thing about Quinloc, after the tatt and all, was how low maintenance he was. Every time I looked you were still making Pan proud (or at least not making him grumpy), not doing shady stuff he'd whack you over, and otherwise were keeping a decent eye on the Village.

That works pretty well for Pan since he's a bit low maintenance himself if you aren't a damnably daft dolt. And I agree, that aiming for a 'speaker' angle really didn't seem to fit Quinloc. You were a subtle bastard every time we met, so it fit that you’d stay true to the persona. I actually felt the more subdued “I’m a Pan follower by action, less than yelling” worked out swell for when I did bother to point new-followers at you. Since some of them were surprised you were tatted and all, gave them a good lesson in that being loud ain’t everything.

Overall I liked Quinloc, but I probably took advantage of how steady and unworrying you were and gave you less attention/prods that I could have. Damn you for being competent.

Village idiot (Anonymous)Fri 17-May-19 06:00 PM
Charter member
#136838, "I think it was you..."
In response to Reply #3

I was talking to before you inducted me and I said I wanted to be a defender. You bemoaned the fact that we didn't have many berserkers. I assumed the 3-kill policy was yours, so I kinda thought you were dumb or something. But, you didn't seem dumb and now I know the origin of the policy. Wish we'd had more time together, but it was fun. And now I feel even worse for getting you killed at the giant with such low con.

saam (Anonymous)Sat 18-May-19 09:00 AM
Charter member
#136840, "RE: Over a year old..."
In response to Reply #3

hey man.

You have had a long run of awesome characters. I am sorry I had to cut saam short, and the char before that with rl. I even made a char recently that ended up not able to be played anymore. But now that graduations are finished this weekend for me for family members and I can get back home, was thinking of making another char and maybe playing it hard

Quinloc never played like a newbie, knew you were good peeps, and you never once threw any fits / showed any down sides that I ever saw. And as an assassin that annoyed the piss out of me I did go on water ALOT when noticing you.

That being said you were a great commander. Alot of long lived ones only play one or two hours per week, you didnt. I saw you even if only a short time, at least a few times a week. The village did not hurt because of you, ever.

Just wanted to say that what I saw from you (though we didnt interact with words much) is that you did everything in how I would say was 'right'. I started back in 1997. I learned from kah, istendil and some others since, and then sort of blew up on my own after a time, but there has always been people like you that show up and become a roadblock of damn.

I never complimented you like I should have for always being good competition. You, and later people like kastellyn (towards latter end of his playing career hehe) made cf fun for me... for over 20 years.

Some rubbing against you, such as my nexan arcane pellin or some such lol, but overall doesnt matter because you were always solid. Even your orcs , and when I think of cf from time to time people like you are what gave me fondness. Others like ishuli too and many others, all the way back to ra####on for me eh. I even have hearts for emnon, who didnt reply to saams' death thread. like a meanie.

These are things I never said to the cf staff before that I should have and alot of times wanted to, but seeing that quinloc was yours, and that he and I fought some, and how the village was stable with you, and seeing how long lived you were etc etc, I really wanted to go ahead and say all this.

*hugs* ty for being part of cf for as long as you have. Ty to many others player and non, even those that completely left that said they never would (in example, would be rolling up a character when they were in an old folks home)

Saam out. Dont know if will be on cf any time soon but maybe. Back when cf had 100+ people on yeah those were the days... just taking a step meant likely gonna be fighting soon eh. Its' alot harder to stay on course with a char when I can go hours without a fight unless its a cabal defense / offense. I remember fondly the days of raiding a cabal, having near to 10 defenders, with many showing up during the raid. Gaming was defined for me, in places like carrionfields. Anyway, I said I was out. Got an hour drive ahead of me soo later man

EmnonTue 21-May-19 06:42 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2015
71 posts
#136861, "Shame on me."
In response to Reply #45

I seriously missed the Death thread. But like the others
can attest, I really don't do the forum thing too much.
I should...But I prefer to avoid the trappings that come
with posting.

Emnon

Sent from an Ancient Abacus.

KstatidaWed 22-May-19 06:56 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#136864, "RE: Shame on me."
In response to Reply #47

>Sent from an Ancient Abacus.

You magnificent bastard.

BlkdrgnSun 12-May-19 12:06 PM
Member since 19th Mar 2010
295 posts
#136783, "Holy crap, I was expecting you to age die!"
In response to Reply #0

To say the least, you were an enemy of mine through quite a few characters. You always seemed to have an advantage no matter the situation and it was kind of painful. On the outside view of your village leadership, I felt like you just let villagers get away with being gang whores a lot, which I feel was rather ####ty and unvillager like, especially for the berserkers. It may have been a part of who your character was, which is cool, but as someone who has played many villagers and have leadered as well, your standards for upholding the village's decrees just seemed lackluster.

You were tough as nails and congrats on the long lived character. You knew when to fight and when to avoid, but that's just a mechanics thing, at least when it came to my characters you never seemed to overextend or take chances, you got out when a round or two wasn't going your way, and stayed when you knew you were going to win, but that's why you are the strategist . GLWYN

TwistSun 12-May-19 09:25 PM
3431 posts
#136793, "RE: Holy crap, I was expecting you to age die!"
In response to Reply #2

Sorry to hear you thought I let ragers get away with stuff. If I did, it wasn't intentional.

Knowing who you're currently playing, you have an argument about Quinloc himself doing something shady recently. I'm sure you know what I mean. The other rager in question actually poked Quinloc a bit about it, and it almost ended up going to the Circle.

It was accidental on my part, but I can see where you'd feel it was against Parity. However, you had two allies in the same area and we ended up fighting them immediately afterward. So...eh?

cassock (Anonymous)Sun 12-May-19 12:08 AM
Charter member
#136777, "RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Quinloc Han the Shadowed Strate..."
In response to Reply #0

hope i made your last day interesting

TwistSun 12-May-19 09:16 PM
3431 posts
#136789, "RE: (CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Quinloc Han the Shadowed Strate..."
In response to Reply #1

>hope i made your last day interesting

You did! Quinloc had no issues with Cassock, and the fight in Galadon was such chaos that I didn't even realize I was fighting you until you were dead.

After that I understand why you kept trying to jack me, but it didn't go well for you.

Hope the sword soothed a bit of the bad taste.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #136776 Previous topic | Next topic