Subject: "(CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Hallanaphas Swiftwater the Cagastri..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #128987
Show all folders

Death_AngelWed 24-Aug-16 09:16 PM
Member since 24th Sep 2024
17178 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128987, "(CON LOSS) [BATTLE] Hallanaphas Swiftwater the Cagastric Culler of the Arcane, Commander of Battle"

Wed Aug 24 21:13:01 2016

At 9 o'clock PM, Day of Freedom, 11th of the Month of the Frost Giant
on the Theran calendar Hallanaphas perished, never to return.

Race:wood-elf
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:218

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Solid leader as far as I saw, Lea (Anonymous), 25-Aug-16 01:17 PM, #4
Reply This was such a strange character, TJHuron, 25-Aug-16 09:23 AM, #1
     Reply Good job, and they're on a camouflaged NPC in Loch Terr..., Umiron, 25-Aug-16 11:28 AM, #2
     Reply Haha, aw man!, TJHuron, 25-Aug-16 12:12 PM, #3
     Reply RE: This was such a strange character, Joenne, 25-Aug-16 08:37 PM, #5
     Reply I forgot one thing. Thanks for the neat title at the en..., TJHuron, 26-Aug-16 08:02 AM, #6
     Reply RE: This was such a strange character, Warren, 26-Aug-16 09:48 AM, #7
     Reply Thanks! I appreciate that. nt, TJHuron, 26-Aug-16 10:15 AM, #8
     Reply RE: This was such a strange character, Dcrui (Anonymous), 26-Aug-16 11:13 AM, #9
     Reply It looked like you left your gear in the blade sect. Nt, TJHuron, 26-Aug-16 01:54 PM, #10
     Reply RE: This was such a strange character, Muuksube Coldcrown (Anonymous), 26-Aug-16 07:54 PM, #11
     Reply I was cool with the rot/malice, TJHuron, 26-Aug-16 09:28 PM, #12
     Reply You are great player and was the excellent Commander (t..., Shapa, 27-Aug-16 08:48 PM, #13
     Reply Thanks a lot! nt, TJHuron, 28-Aug-16 08:56 AM, #14
     Reply Jormyr approves., Jormyr, 30-Aug-16 11:37 PM, #15
     Reply On the con, TJHuron, 31-Aug-16 01:52 PM, #17
     Reply elfie Git!, Ysaloerye, 31-Aug-16 11:33 AM, #16
          Reply RE: elfie Git!, TJHuron, 31-Aug-16 02:00 PM, #18

Lea (Anonymous)Thu 25-Aug-16 01:17 PM
Charter member
#128991, "Solid leader as far as I saw"
In response to Reply #0

Enjoyed all our interactions. Thanks for showing me the thing you did the last time we saw each other.

TJHuronThu 25-Aug-16 09:23 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128988, "This was such a strange character"
In response to Reply #0

This character is over 4 months old, yet I only had 218 hours AND I con-died in that time!

I never really thought of Hal as the greatest of quality characters from and RP or PK standpoint. He was really just a guy I rolled to play out a combo I wanted to try and play here and there on some free time, which is how it worked for most of the characters life. Log ins were sporadic and I never intended to try and get leadership with this guy, and at first wrote it in my role that way. Leadership spots kept popping open and it got tempting not to try but I just didn't think I'd do any better than Llathe did as an active leader at the time since other responsibilities kept my play times pretty sporadic.

For the most part I took a lot of chances with Hal. I didn't play that conservatively all the time and it led to me dying a lot but also having a lot of fun. I can't stand a CF where no one is PKing. I'd rather have an hour of back and forths and if I die due to my stupidity, mistakes or bad luck, oh well. The fun was worth it.

Hal was the only character I was playing until about a month ago when I decided to roll Vanaleesa, an empire arial bard. I kind of got into Vanaleesa for a little bit and started playing more and more. I've never been one to play 2 morts at the same time so I decided one day I was going to delete Hal and just have Vanaleesa. I logged in Hal to do the delete and here I see Ysal (Hooray!) standing in the Shrine talking to Burwell about the ponchos. I am a huge Ysal fan and decided I definitely wasn't going to delete now, and that turned out to be a good choice. Soon after I began getting frustrated with Vanaleesa and then Burwell deleted.

I then logged in Hal and Ysal appears and wouldn't you know it I'm Commander. This is another oddity about the character for me. I've played soooo many Villagers over the years and the last time I had a Commander was 16 years ago before Commanders were called commanders. It was Barsimmon, leader of battle. I've had so many battle characters I considered to be far better quality that never made commander. I've had a ton of Drillmasters but I was either never able to win the rites or make the rites when they were held. And so, here is a character I thought was somewhat mediocre that I was not even trying to make Commander with get named Commander! Funny how that stuff works about, but, I'm not upset it did.

Thank you Ysal for giving him Commander. Whether I was any good at it, it really rejuvenated my desire to play this guy and up the effort with him. I feel like my RP and PK both improved with this guy at that point. Sorry if it looked like I was inducting everyone. I couldn't help it that so many people decided to roll ragers at once and from a players standpoint I'm not going to deny them that opportunity over something like numbers. This isn't Scion! They were all quality characters who were playing so let's have some fun. I was hoping I'd be around long enough to see some big time Village expedition. At least there's plenty of characters to hold an epic Rites like the old days. I'd love to see the logs of it.

Oh, and lastly. Where the #### are those wide bands of smooth moonstone!!??? I asked tons of people in game and no one knew (or just wouldn't say). I've always been intruiged by them because Daev's Aulrathdien wore them. I have the stats on them because when I was playing Aufang someone left 1 ring in the Nexun pit. They weren't as good as I thought they'd be but are still excellent rings for a wood-elf warrior. I had an explore transmuter long ago and kept trying to locate them only to see they were held by "someone". Then one day I located them and the mob was visible and I had a name. Even with the name of the mob I was never able to find them. I'm guessing the mob was sneaking so couldn't be seen on where, and either hidden or camo. I searched a lot of places and just never found them.

4 months is a long time to remember everyone but I'll try to toss some goodbyes:

Ysal - It's awesome to see you visible. From the sounds of it you've always been poking around but you should pop vis every once in awhile. You're tons of fun to RP with. Thanks again for the shot at Commander. Hope I wasn't too much of a disappointment. Commander is kind of a two edged sword. You get the perks of being Commander but you also have to deal with all the complaints. And with Battle there's always a lot...

Jormyr - I'm definitely going to roll a follower some day. You were awesome with you interactions. I appreciated all the conversations and attention.

Izqi - You were a lot of fun. I wish our times aligned more frequently and we got to explore some fun places. We made a pretty nasty team I think.

Aukhil - You told me the story about the first title you had. Seems like a lot of players started treating you like #### over it without even getting to know you. From my perspective you were a fun, well-RP'd duergar. Good luck!

Joe! - Man, I remember when you were trying to get that first mage kill. Did we ever have some fun together facing off against the imperial hordes. I loved every minute of it. You've made an excellent rager. Good luck!

Lea - Your a cool bird. You certainly took the time to speak with a lot of applicants and that's very helpful. Arial sword berserker is one of those things on my list of things I considered to roll

All you new ragers - Sorry there is a lot of you and you all seem to do very well. I know my induction interviews were lacking for a few of you due to sudden time constraints so I apologize for that. I hope you all do well going forward and make the next Rites a fun one.

Kalvin - Hey what happened to you? Hal and Kal were like best friends in the young ranks and then you auto'd. That's too bad. I was disappointed.

Tiiga - You had my number, what can I say except that I know how easy it is to kill ragers with a tranced assassin I've done it a lot. That doesn't mean you aren't super deadly. Everyone knows that. Well played.

Muuksube - Boy malice is rough. So many times did I misjudge the strength and fall to con-loss. At the end I was carrying nearly a whole set of items just to deal with malice. We had some great fights and you are one of the coolest, best RP'd characters in the game. I thought you were great as Vanaleesa and as Hal and was happy to see you make Emperor. Keep on trucking because I know it's rough now that it seems like the numbers have switched sides.

Koelagh - I was so happy to have finally PK'd you! You were another that always had my number. I just could never manage to kill you if I got the upper hand and eventually if the fight went long enough you'd kill me. Great character.

Lsokoa - I thought you were very hard to kill too. You and Koelagh make a very dangerous team. It was still so much fun taking the two of you on. Well done!

Undaryxl - You were on my list of PKs to get. You are a tough mummy and full of surprises. I was always a little ballsy with you and it usually led to me dying but oh well. Sometimes you gotta do that in CF.

Dcrui - I think you might have deleted but I enjoyed fighting you. Very tough and it was a surprise the first time space fired on me. Well done.

Xisaer - It was nice having somewhat of an ally in the Fort. Great job.

UmironThu 25-Aug-16 11:28 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128989, "Good job, and they're on a camouflaged NPC in Loch Terr..."
In response to Reply #1

asd

Attachment #1, ( file)

TJHuronThu 25-Aug-16 12:12 PM
1132 posts
#128990, "Haha, aw man!"
In response to Reply #2

I was just thinking the other day I hadn't looked there that thoroughly. I even went there on a tip someone was ranking there and thought about taking a quick look but changed my mind. I knew it was going to be something like that!

Thanks though!

JoenneThu 25-Aug-16 08:37 PM
Member since 02nd Aug 2016
8 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128995, "RE: This was such a strange character"
In response to Reply #1

Yep! It took me forever to get that first mage kill! Over 40 hours and the one I finally got was a herald I think. Sad. Just couldn't find where any rank.. and there's just so few on, and no detect invis. Gotten a few more since then but not much!

But yes you felt very leader like from my first interactions with you and I was honestly surprised when I saw Burwell get it, not sure if there was a rites or what.. Was very happy when I saw you as Commmander because Joe took a liking to you.

I loved all of those raids together it was a blast! Too bad we messed up when we had those 3 imperials in that snare and they all got away. But was a blast!

Hope to see you in the realms again. GLWYN!

Big Joe!

TJHuronFri 26-Aug-16 08:02 AM
1132 posts
#128997, "I forgot one thing. Thanks for the neat title at the en..."
In response to Reply #1

It took me a long time to figure out what cagastric means as I couldn't just find it in the dictionary. If I found the correct use it seemed to fit my role perfectly.

Kind of like Aukhils title. Am I right that it means someone that makes puns about cooking?

Someone up there has a great vocab!

WarrenFri 26-Aug-16 09:47 AM
Member since 17th Dec 2012
396 posts
#128998, "RE: This was such a strange character"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Fri 26-Aug-16 09:48 AM

You are an awesome presence for the village! GLWYN!

TJHuronFri 26-Aug-16 10:15 AM
1132 posts
#128999, "Thanks! I appreciate that. nt"
In response to Reply #7

nt

Dcrui (Anonymous)Fri 26-Aug-16 11:13 AM
Charter member
#129001, "RE: This was such a strange character"
In response to Reply #1

How did you know I was gonna delete! You were right, that I did.

I like and respect Hala as an enemy. When the Empire brings a fight, you show up every time and that deserve every respect for it, even though most of the time you had to defend by yourself.

You have been very slippery lately in the last couple of raids, being able to escape by the inch of your life.. I'll tell you what, that is great fun to me and to you also I bet. Most do not defend when situations are not in their favor. GLWYN.

TJHuronFri 26-Aug-16 01:54 PM
1132 posts
#129004, "It looked like you left your gear in the blade sect. Nt"
In response to Reply #9

Nt

Muuksube Coldcrown (Anonymous)Fri 26-Aug-16 07:54 PM
Charter member
#129007, "RE: This was such a strange character"
In response to Reply #1

>Muuksube - Boy malice is rough. So many times did I misjudge
>the strength and fall to con-loss. At the end I was carrying
>nearly a whole set of items just to deal with malice. We had
>some great fights and you are one of the coolest, best RP'd
>characters in the game. I thought you were great as Vanaleesa
>and as Hal and was happy to see you make Emperor. Keep on
>trucking because I know it's rough now that it seems like the
>numbers have switched sides.

First. Thanks. Everytime a villager like you comes along, I have to resist the urge to roll a villager who just goes balls out like you did. Great fun.

The several opportunities we had to roleplay were rewarding, and really gave my character the chance to bring it home or fail. I hope I brought it home.

My goto attacks against villagers and low con races are rot/malice. Once I saw you dying within a tick or two, I tried to avoid fighting you because that's just a ####ty way to go.

That kinda sucks that you deleted with Vanaleesa! I saw so much potential for your character, and hated to lose a competent bard.

GLWYN!

TJHuronFri 26-Aug-16 09:28 PM
1132 posts
#129010, "I was cool with the rot/malice"
In response to Reply #11

There were a few deaths I could have survived had I been smarter about it or more prepared. I also forgot that the village healer could heal the wasting disease the first time you got me with it.

That one with the Kycue was rough though! He started harassing me as a vulture before I could switch over to my malice set. Haha.

I actually think it probably is harder for a non-defender villager to deal with than low con Hal.

Anyways, yeah you always brought it home. Maybe I'll have to roll back to empire! Just great fun and fights all around.

ShapaSat 27-Aug-16 08:48 PM
Member since 22nd Jun 2006
252 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129013, "You are great player and was the excellent Commander (t..."
In response to Reply #1

n/t

TJHuronSun 28-Aug-16 08:56 AM
1132 posts
#129016, "Thanks a lot! nt"
In response to Reply #13

Nt

JormyrTue 30-Aug-16 11:37 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
#129041, "Jormyr approves."
In response to Reply #1

Totally unfair to you that I hadn't answered, so remedying that. I always did enjoy Hallanaphas, and honestly should have leaderified you earlier.

Ysal and I kept debating about giving you a con quest, but we kept looking at the fact that you had edge points left, and didn't seem to want to put them into any +con, so kinda left it be.

Hopefully see you about sometime again. GLWYN!

TJHuronWed 31-Aug-16 01:52 PM
1132 posts
#129044, "On the con"
In response to Reply #15

I was debating what to do with those edge points. I considered some more con but I also had my eye on a more expensive edge that I never felt good on pulling the trigger before that. I kind of decided that if I got the chance to pick it again I would do that. I had no idea of knowing whether is ever earn more edge points but didn't want to be kicking myself later in case I did.

It wasn't until I hit 4 con that I kind of decided I was ready to see it to the end. Once I got that in my head it would have been hard to turn back so really it's no big deal tha you didn't. Actually before that point I would have probably rolled with it if you had and was more of the "if it happens cool if not also ok" state of mind.

Thanks again!

YsaloeryeWed 31-Aug-16 11:33 AM
Member since 09th Apr 2006
315 posts
#129042, "elfie Git!"
In response to Reply #1

I think you stepped up as Commander and did a good job, would have been happy to have you continue, but I was getting a sense that you were nearing the end of Hall and if the jive isn't there on a char, I don't want it to feel like a chore.
Solid villager, and led by example as Commander, which is a big thing for me (as you might have guessed).
It was always enjoyable watching you engage and engaging you from the mort prospective. Always happy to see you make the right calls it not the easiest ones with regards to parity.
I think if the desire was there for you, you could have really brought the village back to prominence under you watch, but at least you can rest knowing that the seeds you planted have started it on the way.

TJHuronWed 31-Aug-16 02:00 PM
1132 posts
#129045, "RE: elfie Git!"
In response to Reply #16

Yup. You guessed right for the end there as I went into more detail above for Jormyr. Thanks though. Happy Hal was at least respectable in your eyes.

And on parity. It gets tough to police or make calls about it. There were a few questions I got and situations I was told about that challenged me more this time around than with any DM I've played. I know what I would do personally but it just feels so different setting policy for other characters to follow. Especially since everyone has their own version of events and seem to have varying ideas of what village parity means. It makes you start wondering if you're too strict or lenient within what is actually acceptable.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #128987 Previous topic | Next topic