Subject: "(DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling Bull,..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #128705
Show all folders

Death_AngelSat 30-Jul-16 11:32 PM
Member since 24th Sep 2024
17178 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128705, "(DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling Bull, Commander of Battle"

Sat Jul 30 23:31:31 2016

At 9 o'clock PM, Day of the Great Gods, 33rd of the Month of the Winter Wolf
on the Theran calendar Burwell perished, never to return.

Race:minotaur
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:298

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..., Burwell (Anonymous), 03-Aug-16 10:05 PM, #3
Reply Would never have guessed you were also Dol, Hallanaphas (Anonymous), 04-Aug-16 12:31 AM, #4
Reply Minotaurs are bad, Kstatida, 04-Aug-16 02:21 AM, #5
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..., Ysaloerye, 04-Aug-16 01:11 PM, #6
Reply Sounds like you need to change how trophy works then., Lhydia, 04-Aug-16 02:44 PM, #7
Reply Nah. Just RP more., TMNS, 04-Aug-16 03:29 PM, #8
Reply I tend to agree with regards to Jeede, Kstatida, 04-Aug-16 03:53 PM, #9
Reply RE: Sounds like you need to change how trophy works the..., Demos, 04-Aug-16 04:02 PM, #10
Reply If it was Jeede I wouldn't have had issue,, Ysaloerye, 04-Aug-16 04:39 PM, #11
     Reply You wrote.., Lhydia, 04-Aug-16 04:50 PM, #12
          Reply RE: You wrote.., Ysaloerye, 05-Aug-16 09:07 AM, #15
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..., Burwell (Anonymous), 04-Aug-16 09:26 PM, #14
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..., Ysaloerye, 05-Aug-16 10:13 AM, #16
Reply Want me to remind you something when you were Ysa - mor..., Beront (Anonymous), 05-Aug-16 01:11 PM, #19
     Reply I remember her stomping my face clean off when I tried ..., TMNS, 05-Aug-16 07:36 PM, #21
Reply oh graatch. , Dallevian, 05-Aug-16 10:52 AM, #17
Reply Have you ever tried the arrpee? , Demos, 06-Aug-16 03:11 AM, #23
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..., Charade, 07-Aug-16 11:25 PM, #25
     Reply Basically.., Lhydia, 08-Aug-16 06:08 AM, #26
          Reply RE: Basically.. You are over thinking it, Ysaloerye, 08-Aug-16 03:11 PM, #27
               Reply RE: Basically.. You are over thinking it, Charade, 08-Aug-16 06:52 PM, #28
               Reply playwrs struggle with the unique situation of battle an..., laxman, 08-Aug-16 06:56 PM, #29
               Reply to be clear, Ysaloerye, 09-Aug-16 10:59 AM, #44
               Reply You know, you "can" be a cowardly rager., TMNS, 08-Aug-16 07:09 PM, #30
               Reply Trophy Stats, TJHuron, 08-Aug-16 09:56 PM, #37
                    Reply Well, most berserkers have thirst :), TMNS, 08-Aug-16 11:54 PM, #39
                    Reply RE: Trophy Stats, Umiron, 09-Aug-16 07:02 AM, #41
                    Reply If that's the case, Kstatida, 09-Aug-16 07:41 AM, #43
               Reply Blurring so many lines. , Grifter, 08-Aug-16 07:11 PM, #31
               Reply Unfortunately, Kstatida, 09-Aug-16 07:03 AM, #42
               Reply This isn't 'the ring'. This is a text based mud. , Lhydia, 08-Aug-16 07:47 PM, #32
                    Reply Pretty sure Jesus would be anti-trophy..., Destuvius, 08-Aug-16 09:33 PM, #33
                    Reply Jesus is with us rager-haters!, Murphy, 08-Aug-16 09:49 PM, #34
                    Reply I had a conjurer named Me 'n Jesus. , Lhydia, 08-Aug-16 09:52 PM, #36
                    Reply That was funny :), Kstatida, 09-Aug-16 04:14 AM, #40
                    Reply The non-mage trophies are actually pretty great with th..., TJHuron, 08-Aug-16 09:51 PM, #35
                    Reply Life's a garden...NT, TMNS, 08-Aug-16 11:52 PM, #38
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..., Ardish (Anonymous), 04-Aug-16 08:11 PM, #13
Reply polearm thoughts, incognito, 05-Aug-16 01:07 PM, #18
Reply when they did it was in gangs. , Vonzamir, 05-Aug-16 03:56 PM, #20
Reply Awww, don't quit when there are that many on! It's fre..., TMNS, 05-Aug-16 07:39 PM, #22
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..., Phid (Anonymous), 06-Aug-16 11:15 AM, #24
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..., Joenne, 02-Aug-16 12:16 AM, #2
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..., Tarak (Anonymous), 31-Jul-16 04:55 PM, #1

Burwell (Anonymous)Wed 03-Aug-16 10:05 PM
Charter member
#128754, "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..."
In response to Reply #0

After Dol I did not want to play a rager. But like Dol, when I logged on to roll a character a special race was available, this time a minotaur. So I had to take it. That's why I had a name most didn't associate with a mino. And I had really bad experiences trying to get empowerment so I went warrior and figured I'd try it as a rager. Also read on dios people talking about how polearm sucks so thought I'd see if I agree. Burwell was born.

Bad outweighed the good, both with players and imms. Couple people are really delusional. Like Jeede. He'd run from me over and over, then would try to taunt me by saying I run from him. I sat there wondering if the player was high or drunk, it was so bizarre. He'd attack, he'd run until he could hide, then he'd taunt, as though I'd never want to fight him. Really, really weird. I look forward to reading the role to see how this was part of the character. But that's just an example, had a lot of similar interactions with a lot of people and it's not worth going into details.

Same with a few imms. Most I don't know who they were so I can't say even if I wanted. Again, not worth going into here anyway except for Ysaloerye and Aarn. Ysaloerye I've never met you before, and as far as I know you haven't been on the mud for a long time, but what you did and how you acted was the end of Burwell. You come in and make a pronouncement which was totally wrong in so many ways. The trophy was fine and a hard won fight. And such trophies have been fine for the entire time I've played this game, and seen by at least two other imms. How do you think it's right to come and do what you did when other battle gods say it's fine and now you come and take someone to task for doing what they've always done, with imm approval, as if they somehow should have known differently all along? And then when I said ok, I disagree but you win because you're a god, you made it even worse. You say you want fighters who stand up and fight, but when it comes down to it you just want people to act like the empire and just all be yes men. It was wrong, you were wrong, and it pretty much ruined everything. Including my desire to play again. Haven't logged on since deleting and have zero desire to do so. Aarn, you made no sense. And even if you did, not ever speaking to me again, even after hundreds of hours and months in real time was just a #### move. Where was this famous rp and desire for growth? I would ocme back, I had apologized, I asked to discuss, everything possible, and you just ignored. Totally. Never again spoke. Totally unhelpful and again made the character much less fun.

Polearm pretty much sucked. Perfected cutoff hardly ever worked. Yes, it worked every now and then, but that was the rare exception to the rule. So much so that people would even tell me how surprised they were to get away on the very first flee. Worse, I'd bet a good amount of money that somehow there's an interplay between cutoff and parting blow so that when you fail cutoff you also fail parting blow, because that, too, failed all the time.

Charge set was better. Not really reliable but not horrible either. Again, talking about after perfected.

Distance was very good. Best part of the spec. Chop failed miserably but I stopped using it mostly in favor of slice because though slice has a bit less damage normally, it can deathblow, and chop can't. Entrap was mostly reliable, but a lot of people have norem weapons, which I attribute to few players so most have excellent gear.

I'd remove the thief class. If not, I'd make it so there's much, much, much more risk to steal. Everything about the class runs counter to everything the imms say they want in the game. They want more interaction. The way it is incentivizes the opposite. Thieves take zero risk, and there's no way to get them back. The player spends hours doing things, getting things, and then the thief takes zero risk and just steals everything. Why does everyone else have to take some risk but not them? Make it a real chance they will become visible or start combat on a failed steal and then ok, it makes sense. As is, nope. Agilus was a total ####, but at least if the game made it so he have had to take some risk to what he did it wouldn't be so obviously bad. I have to risk everything every time I do anything. All other characters do too. Even assassins. Thieves should too.

Lidrimil you seemed a competent enough fighter but the mute thing was a killer. I'm sure it sucked for you too but for everyone else also it was frustrating.

Izqi not sure what happened but you stopped logging on and you were missed.

Halla, congratz. Hope you don't get ####ed with for doing what you've always done, with imm approval, because someone wants to change something now.

Ardish, you were the primary beneficiary of cutoff being horrible, and a few other things that made you survive when nobody else did. Total luck. Not taking away from what you did, you did great and I'm impressed, but it really was a lot of good luck your way and bad mine. Frustrating, but happens.

Tarak, yeah, bad matchup. You were a total #### the first half of your life, attacking anything, pretty much a douche, but then for whatever reason you did a total 180 and the second half of your life you were fine. Usually willing to fight, which after all the deaths I'm not sure most others would have, so good for you. Though some of it is I'm sure due to the fact that you knew I wouldn't be looting you, so it was a pretty 'safe' death every time.

Most people wouldn't fight and it made for a kinda frustrating existence constantly trying to find people, and then when they did it was in gangs. But it happens. Some people (Rodacir, I'm looking at you) are just douchebags as people, but for the rest, get over it and just fight. There aren't enough people in the first place, so stop making it even worse by sitting and looking at your equ or whatever.

Like I said I have no desire to play, it was a pretty bad experience, so good luck to all. Yes, I get this is an angry sounding goodbye. That's how it is. I'll respond to anyone who wants.

Hallanaphas (Anonymous)Thu 04-Aug-16 12:31 AM
Charter member
#128755, "Would never have guessed you were also Dol"
In response to Reply #3

I mean this in a respectful way, because I really liked Dol, but he was much more... confrontational than Burwell, at least from Hal's perspective.

I always felt bad for getting you stuck on the forgotten island when you were in the mid ranks. I hate that mino speech and always forget about it.

Burwell was cool too. We could do some damage together there was no doubt. Looked like you were pretty tough from the logs I saw on Dios.

As for the issue with Ysal, sorry that soured you. I saw both your points but in that RP situation you gotta go with the surly dwarfess. For whatever reason she decided to push the pride aspect when it comes to trophies. I get its been allowed in the past but beyond a nice little RP session I didn't think there was much damage done. You didn't really get punished that I was aware of.

Anyhow here's to hoping you get the urge again.

KstatidaThu 04-Aug-16 02:21 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128761, "Minotaurs are bad"
In response to Reply #3

Minospeech is much like mute, but it frustrates people OOC. So they literally start to hate you. It can't really be controlled, but I as a player started to resent minotaur characters after they tried to talk to me after fights or something. Because when you're on adrenaline and hear something like "Ur wad s fiif guggghr" - you think like "Yeah really? Screw you stupid dunghole", even if the original message was classy and polite - mino speech makes it awful. Just don't, don't ever play minotaurs if you are moved by other people's attention.

I fought you as Kaer I think four times, twice I ganked you, and twice you either killed me or fended me off. On first occasion you acted as defender for Spire, which was really frustrating, and on second one I've just eaten deathblow charge which was quite enough for me not to ever again attempt you solo. So more or less, mino+berserker are the main reasons for most people: 1) not like you; 2) gank your butt off. It's not the game or people, it's your own build and choices.

Dol I totaly loved.

YsaloeryeThu 04-Aug-16 01:11 PM
Member since 09th Apr 2006
315 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128769, "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..."
In response to Reply #3

> Ysaloerye I've never
>met you before, and as far as I know you haven't been on the
>mud for a long time, but what you did and how you acted was
>the end of Burwell. You come in and make a pronouncement
>which was totally wrong in so many ways. The trophy was fine
>and a hard won fight. And such trophies have been fine for
>the entire time I've played this game, and seen by at least
>two other imms. How do you think it's right to come and do
>what you did when other battle gods say it's fine and now you
>come and take someone to task for doing what they've always
>done, with imm approval, as if they somehow should have known
>differently all along? And then when I said ok, I disagree
>but you win because you're a god, you made it even worse. You
>say you want fighters who stand up and fight, but when it
>comes down to it you just want people to act like the empire
>and just all be yes men. It was wrong, you were wrong, and it
>pretty much ruined everything. Including my desire to play
>again. Haven't logged on since deleting and have zero desire
>to do so.
>

So I'll try to be constructive here. Haven't been on the mud for a long time? Hmm I've played since '96 and been a Battle imm since probably 2006ish maybe? Lately I haven't been active, as in visible, empowering and RPing a lot, because of RL work and what not. Doesn't mean I don't still log on, hang out, keep up and what's going on and watching things. Often I'll be the one rating roles, throwing out immxp for descs and random snoops. Last couple of weeks have been slow at work so I've gotten to be around more, and vis and interact. Which brings us to your issue. I watched you on and off, certainly liked to scrap, a plus in the Biddy's eye, but somewhat whiny when things didn't go your way. Always raiding, again a plus. The reason for the interaction was the trophy issue. Ysal is a Berserker, and has always, always been of the mind that you should be proud to wear what you trophy, which means that, as I said when we interacted, anyone looking at you should be "DAHHHHAM! That's a badass trophy!".
You thirsted when Scarab assassin first attacked and you were hurting from raiding and you drove him off. All well and good. Then as you were high tailing it back and fatigue had worn off, he attacked again and you hit thirst. It took you a total of 80hp and 8 hits to squish him and you promptly trophy him like it was something of achievement.
Trophy is more than just a quick +hit+dam+hp gear-up. That was why I vised and brought it up. Now, never having met Ysal before I think you were all about the OOC aspect of what you THOUGHT I was saying. Ysal is a brash hard-arse no nonsense dwarf, who calls a spade a 'godrotten poxy-monkey sh*te liftin' shovel' EVERYTHING I said and did was 100% Biddy RP. Yet all I heard from you was petulant teenager, not a commander of the Village of the most renown warriors of Thera. I gave you clear specifics. Trophy mages, or maybe a renown enemy, someone who's pelt would give you that ooooh ahhhhh! Factor. You just didn't want to hear it. You have two other villagers there, who completely got the message and tried to tell you the same, but you wanted to post teenage angst notes to tell the village 'Biddy says!' So as much as you say the interaction soured you, it soured me. If you had actually RP'd it out I would have probably dropped some Immxp on you. Commanders live and die as an example. They should breath and exude the tenets of the Tablet. I really don't know how many villagers you've played, but it's obvious that you haven't played one with me around, and that's OK. But anyone who has will tell you Ysal is a hard arse about these things. I have yanked out tongues and left people silent for sass talk, pulled spellbane from people who I discovered had used potions prior to induct (before we made some changes) but always they had a chance to RP it through and come out the otherside better for it. The village has a code, which each player can use to enhance their RP, but you have to stick to the fundamentals of the code, or eventually there are repercussions. Hell I've inducted people who were spies for the Empire, and we've run with their RP.
I think if you can just get past the fact that you are playing in a world which is not run according to your parameters you will be fine. Sometimes what is harder to do is long term more rewarding. Being a villager is not easy if done right. You can't get upset at the ####ty deaths you end up taking, when you can turn some chars into nothing more than speedbumps as you thirst down eastern road.
Them's the breaks.

LhydiaThu 04-Aug-16 02:44 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2390 posts
#128770, "Sounds like you need to change how trophy works then."
In response to Reply #6

The trophy skill is already hard coded not to let you trophy weak kills or multi kills. If you are saying it should work differently then change it. Jeede is a tough character that anyone should be proud to kill regardless of circumstances. I'd be super pissed too if village was in the ####ter and my first imm interaction from you was this. Way to piss on people playing your dead cabal. And I hated Burwell and usually like you.

TMNSThu 04-Aug-16 03:29 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#128771, "Nah. Just RP more."
In response to Reply #7

Meh.

KstatidaThu 04-Aug-16 03:53 PM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128773, "I tend to agree with regards to Jeede"
In response to Reply #7

I killed her twice as Kaer, both time one-rounded. And I'd be proud of both times.

DemosThu 04-Aug-16 04:02 PM
Member since 20th Apr 2003
211 posts
#128774, "RE: Sounds like you need to change how trophy works the..."
In response to Reply #7

I read that more as a thirst kill while running away isn't tip top.

YsaloeryeThu 04-Aug-16 04:39 PM
315 posts
#128775, "If it was Jeede I wouldn't have had issue,"
In response to Reply #7

for exactly those reasons.

LhydiaThu 04-Aug-16 04:50 PM
2390 posts
#128776, "You wrote.."
In response to Reply #11

You thirsted when Scarab assassin first attacked and you were hurting from raiding and you drove him off. All well and good. Then as you were high tailing it back and fatigue had worn off, he attacked again and you hit thirst. It took you a total of 80hp and 8 hits to squish him and you promptly trophy him like it was something of achievement.

OH. Assuming makes an ass of me. However, I'd say its fine for that character too, for completely different reasons though.

YsaloeryeFri 05-Aug-16 09:07 AM
315 posts
#128789, "RE: You wrote.."
In response to Reply #12

>You thirsted when Scarab assassin first attacked and you were
>hurting from raiding and you drove him off. All well and good.
>Then as you were high tailing it back and fatigue had worn
>off, he attacked again and you hit thirst. It took you a total
>of 80hp and 8 hits to squish him and you promptly trophy him
>like it was something of achievement.
>
>OH. Assuming makes an ass of me. However, I'd say its fine for
>that character too, for completely different reasons though.
>

Yup more than one Scarab assassin. Again, no one was contesting thirsting and squishing him, he brought the fight, its the trophy part.

Burwell (Anonymous)Thu 04-Aug-16 09:26 PM
Charter member
#128779, "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..."
In response to Reply #6

>
>> Ysaloerye I've never
>>met you before, and as far as I know you haven't been on the
>>mud for a long time, but what you did and how you acted was
>>the end of Burwell. You come in and make a pronouncement
>>which was totally wrong in so many ways. The trophy was
>fine
>>and a hard won fight. And such trophies have been fine for
>>the entire time I've played this game, and seen by at least
>>two other imms. How do you think it's right to come and do
>>what you did when other battle gods say it's fine and now
>you
>>come and take someone to task for doing what they've always
>>done, with imm approval, as if they somehow should have
>known
>>differently all along? And then when I said ok, I disagree
>>but you win because you're a god, you made it even worse.
>You
>>say you want fighters who stand up and fight, but when it
>>comes down to it you just want people to act like the empire
>>and just all be yes men. It was wrong, you were wrong, and
>it
>>pretty much ruined everything. Including my desire to play
>>again. Haven't logged on since deleting and have zero
>desire
>>to do so.
>>
>
>
>So I'll try to be constructive here. Haven't been on the mud
>for a long time? Hmm I've played since '96 and been a Battle
>imm since probably 2006ish maybe? Lately I haven't been
>active, as in visible, empowering and RPing a lot, because of
>RL work and what not. Doesn't mean I don't still log on, hang
>out, keep up and what's going on and watching things. Often
>I'll be the one rating roles, throwing out immxp for descs and
>random snoops. Last couple of weeks have been slow at work so
>I've gotten to be around more, and vis and interact. Which
>brings us to your issue. I watched you on and off, certainly
>liked to scrap, a plus in the Biddy's eye, but somewhat whiny
>when things didn't go your way. Always raiding, again a plus.
>The reason for the interaction was the trophy issue. Ysal is a
>Berserker, and has always, always been of the mind that you
>should be proud to wear what you trophy, which means that, as
>I said when we interacted, anyone looking at you should be
>"DAHHHHAM! That's a badass trophy!".
>You thirsted when Scarab assassin first attacked and you were
>hurting from raiding and you drove him off. All well and good.
>Then as you were high tailing it back and fatigue had worn
>off, he attacked again and you hit thirst. It took you a total
>of 80hp and 8 hits to squish him and you promptly trophy him
>like it was something of achievement.
>Trophy is more than just a quick +hit+dam+hp gear-up. That was
>why I vised and brought it up. Now, never having met Ysal
>before I think you were all about the OOC aspect of what you
>THOUGHT I was saying. Ysal is a brash hard-arse no nonsense
>dwarf, who calls a spade a 'godrotten poxy-monkey sh*te
>liftin' shovel' EVERYTHING I said and did was 100% Biddy RP.
>Yet all I heard from you was petulant teenager, not a
>commander of the Village of the most renown warriors of Thera.
>I gave you clear specifics. Trophy mages, or maybe a renown
>enemy, someone who's pelt would give you that ooooh ahhhhh!
>Factor. You just didn't want to hear it. You have two other
>villagers there, who completely got the message and tried to
>tell you the same, but you wanted to post teenage angst notes
>to tell the village 'Biddy says!' So as much as you say the
>interaction soured you, it soured me. If you had actually RP'd
>it out I would have probably dropped some Immxp on you.
>Commanders live and die as an example. They should breath and
>exude the tenets of the Tablet. I really don't know how many
>villagers you've played, but it's obvious that you haven't
>played one with me around, and that's OK. But anyone who has
>will tell you Ysal is a hard arse about these things. I have
>yanked out tongues and left people silent for sass talk,
>pulled spellbane from people who I discovered had used potions
>prior to induct (before we made some changes) but always they
>had a chance to RP it through and come out the otherside
>better for it. The village has a code, which each player can
>use to enhance their RP, but you have to stick to the
>fundamentals of the code, or eventually there are
>repercussions. Hell I've inducted people who were spies for
>the Empire, and we've run with their RP.
>I think if you can just get past the fact that you are playing
>in a world which is not run according to your parameters you
>will be fine. Sometimes what is harder to do is long term more
>rewarding. Being a villager is not easy if done right. You
>can't get upset at the ####ty deaths you end up taking, when
>you can turn some chars into nothing more than speedbumps as
>you thirst down eastern road.
>Them's the breaks.

I don't think you get it. But to start let me make clear that when I said you haven't been on for a long time that didn't mean you were new, but that you haven't actually been playing for a long time, it'd been a long time since you played and had just come back. Of course you say you've bveen around and watching but as far as I or any of the other vilagers knew, you didn't really exist, anyumore than boltthrower or thror or the other old gods. I think it's great you're around to do all those things you said, and role readers is very important, but it's all irrelevant to what this is all about, and like I said, I don't think you get it, and I think you handled it pretty badly. And I mean in characxter as much as out of character.

A leader like that wouldn't have dressed down a commander in front of others. You totally undermined. Not cool.

You refused to accept the fact that what he (and literally everyone else) has been doing their entire lives, and everyone before them in living memory, was being done with the approval of other battle gods. The bottom line of what you were saying is that they, not just we little mortals, were wrong. And you wanted an instant acceptance not just of your order - which you got - but to be told that yes, it had been wrong all along. Which is just silly and obviously unrealistic and would have been out of character for everyone.

On this specific instance, you are being ridiculous as to what is a worthy fight or not. Just because it ended up going a certain way doesn't mean it wasn't a very risky and dangerous fight. I could one-round someone and it be perfectly worthy because sometimes that's just how fights go. And you totally went against your own definition when you said any mage. By your logic killing a mage who you happen on with just one hit point left is worthy of a trophy? You describe this specific fight in very specific ways, but leave out lots of other things. And even if not, I was a half hp or so, I had virtually no mana or moves left, so if I didn't win quickly, I'm dead. And I can't go anywhere because I'll be authoattacking everything. It was an all or nothing fight and I won. Not a single person who watched that fight has disagreed, and I showed the unedited log.

In the end it was you and not me who wasn't understanding what was going on, and I'm sure you'll dispute this but it's so nonetheless. I was the commander. I did what I always did. I did it with the approval of Imms who are just as Immortal as you. When you made a new order, I accepted it and made sure everyone knew about it. But it's not a cabal of sycophants and it was ridiculous to think that something everyone had always done, with the approval of other gods no less, would all of a sudden be agreed to as wrong. Better to simply say that's the way of it, in time maybe you'll come to agree with me.

Finally, as a purely gameplay issue, it's also wrong to continue limiting how people use cabal powers. Don't get so many and now you're saying that you can't even use it as intended. It's already limited by not being able to use on the same person twice in a row. Name another power in any other cabal that a player isn't allowed to use. There is no "Oh, you can't manacle THAT criminnal, they are not really so bad" or "Whoa there, no curse of radiance, tsk tsk!" And you imply (others say outright) that using thirst is also somehow wrong. These are the powers of the cabal and they come with incredible drawbacks which balance their strengths. Making it so you can't even use the powers your given just continued the trend it seems of you guys not having the guts to remove the cabal, but hoping to manage it out, like putting in portal sickness. You realize that doing that made it 100% safe for people in lots of areas. No villager is going to go hunt someone when they know the instant they arrive they will be seen, and yet unable to fight because they're gimped with no cabal powers and an emetic poison. All it does is reduce interaction, reduce conflict, and make life more boring on a mud.

Finally I did rp it out. I told you I disagreed, as a free thinkikng person, but that I would do as you say and follow your orders faithfully as a commander does to a higher up. YOU didn't rp it out. You say you like plain speech and straightforward speech and all that but you don't actually. You just wanted it to be like 1984: "They are our enemies! They have always been our enemies!" until it becomes "They are our friends! They have always been our friends!" Maybe if YOU had actually roleplayed it realistically, and thought about it might be if it really were happening, if you really were confronting people who had spent almost 40 years (I think I was inducted when I was 20 and I died at 58) doing something one way, and it's the same way everyone else had been doing it before and was doing it still, and it was the way other people who are just as much gods as you are, wouldn't all of a sudden say the exact opposite. In the end, it was your narrow minded rp that made what happen happen, not mine.

And you're right, them's the breaks.

YsaloeryeFri 05-Aug-16 10:13 AM
315 posts
#128790, "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..."
In response to Reply #14

>I don't think you get it. But to start let me make clear that
>when I said you haven't been on for a long time that didn't
>mean you were new, but that you haven't actually been playing
>for a long time, it'd been a long time since you played and
>had just come back. Of course you say you've bveen around and
>watching but as far as I or any of the other vilagers knew,
>you didn't really exist, anyumore than boltthrower or thror or
>the other old gods. I think it's great you're around to do
>all those things you said, and role readers is very important,
>but it's all irrelevant to what this is all about, and like I
>said, I don't think you get it, and I think you handled it
>pretty badly. And I mean in characxter as much as out of
>character.
>
>A leader like that wouldn't have dressed down a commander in
>front of others. You totally undermined. Not cool.
You obviously have never had a hard arse boss. Would I do that do my employees? No, but its the village not FluffyInternet.com in tech town which has massage tables in the breakroom.
Thror and Ysaloerye are still among the Pantheon of Gods, so how can they not exist. Do you get to behave as you will because, yeah ya know I never see my god, so what the hell.

>You refused to accept the fact that what he (and literally
>everyone else) has been doing their entire lives, and everyone
>before them in living memory, was being done with the approval
>of other battle gods. The bottom line of what you were saying
>is that they, not just we little mortals, were wrong. And you
>wanted an instant acceptance not just of your order - which
>you got - but to be told that yes, it had been wrong all
>along. Which is just silly and obviously unrealistic and
>would have been out of character for everyone.

"everyone else does it!" is not a valid counter argument. Not in CF not in RL otherwise a whole bunch of horrible things would still be happening. Think of Ysal's intervention as Divine Enlightenment. 'Wow you know, this whole really isn't good.'
List of possible horrible things:
Child labor.
Slavery.
Lead Paint.
Arranged marriages for 10 year old girls.
Trophying unworthy foes.
Drinking detect invis potions so you can get your frag for Tahren.
WillyNilly jumping through magical portals because you don't want to walk back.

>On this specific instance, you are being ridiculous as to what
>is a worthy fight or not. Just because it ended up going a
>certain way doesn't mean it wasn't a very risky and dangerous
>fight. I could one-round someone and it be perfectly worthy
>because sometimes that's just how fights go. And you totally
>went against your own definition when you said any mage. By
>your logic killing a mage who you happen on with just one hit
>point left is worthy of a trophy? You describe this specific
>fight in very specific ways, but leave out lots of other
>things. And even if not, I was a half hp or so, I had
>virtually no mana or moves left, so if I didn't win quickly,
>I'm dead. And I can't go anywhere because I'll be
>authoattacking everything. It was an all or nothing fight and
>I won. Not a single person who watched that fight has
>disagreed, and I showed the unedited log.

Don't look know but you are making my point for me.
I told you to examine what would make a good trophy. I specifically said in general mages, because killing mages is what battle does, but think on it, if you find a mage with 1 hp and you bashed him to death, would that be something a true villager would want to brag about? I also cited a non-mage foe who maybe you had never bested before.

The whole point of the interaction was this: You are the commander of the village and supposed to be the ideal who everyone looks up to. Make good choices. I get that having a trophy is a nice stat bump. But RP does not in my opinion override mechanics. Some of the THE most rewarded players are the ones who have played on that premise.

>In the end it was you and not me who wasn't understanding what
>was going on, and I'm sure you'll dispute this but it's so
>nonetheless. I was the commander. I did what I always did. I
>did it with the approval of Imms who are just as Immortal as
>you. When you made a new order, I accepted it and made sure
>everyone knew about it. But it's not a cabal of sycophants
>and it was ridiculous to think that something everyone had
>always done, with the approval of other gods no less, would
>all of a sudden be agreed to as wrong. Better to simply say
>that's the way of it, in time maybe you'll come to agree with
>me.

>Finally, as a purely gameplay issue, it's also wrong to
>continue limiting how people use cabal powers. Don't get so
>many and now you're saying that you can't even use it as
>intended. It's already limited by not being able to use on
>the same person twice in a row. Name another power in any
>other cabal that a player isn't allowed to use. There is no
>"Oh, you can't manacle THAT criminnal, they are not really so
>bad" or "Whoa there, no curse of radiance, tsk tsk!" And you
>imply (others say outright) that using thirst is also somehow
>wrong. These are the powers of the cabal and they come with
>incredible drawbacks which balance their strengths. Making it
>so you can't even use the powers your given just continued the
>trend it seems of you guys not having the guts to remove the
>cabal, but hoping to manage it out, like putting in portal
>sickness. You realize that doing that made it 100% safe for
>people in lots of areas. No villager is going to go hunt
>someone when they know the instant they arrive they will be
>seen, and yet unable to fight because they're gimped with no
>cabal powers and an emetic poison. All it does is reduce
>interaction, reduce conflict, and make life more boring on a
>mud.
I think this gets to the heart of your beef on a whole bunch of things and doesn't surprise me.

Beront (Anonymous)Fri 05-Aug-16 01:11 PM
Charter member
#128793, "Want me to remind you something when you were Ysa - mor..."
In response to Reply #16

Or should we leave it? Try to be a good guy to others.

TMNSFri 05-Aug-16 07:36 PM
2670 posts
#128797, "I remember her stomping my face clean off when I tried ..."
In response to Reply #19

She's a bitch, if you have never interacted with the Biddy.

A fun, raucous dwarven bitch who hates magic and loves dwarves, but a bitch nonetheless.

DallevianFri 05-Aug-16 10:52 AM
1639 posts
#128791, "oh graatch. "
In response to Reply #14

j/k. i don't know who you are. but you argue like him.

trophy is probably the most respected of battle powers. sounds like you didn't respect it. i've been there before and lost the skill. but imm was within his right to do that. just because you can doesn't mean you should.

DemosSat 06-Aug-16 03:11 AM
Member since 20th Apr 2003
211 posts
#128801, "Have you ever tried the arrpee? "
In response to Reply #14

Cause you should. Most immteraction turns into a perk if you arrpee.... Just a little. Just try it. None of us have free time anymore(if you do awesome) & the easiest way to look at something of this nature is that a god(a ####ing God! Who doesn't give a #### about your past characters or your understanding of the cabal) has an issue with your behaviour. Now.... Because it's happened before doesn't matter(rp). Because you've never seen or experienced it before(rp). So. You make your point & take your lumps(rp). And grow from it. Wtf ysal did 10 yesrs ago doesn't ####ing matter. What verathi did does that matter. You had a choice and you picked the Golden chalice when you knew you should have picked a wooden cup. Get over it. The fault lies in your corner. Sucks but it's a fact.

CharadeSun 07-Aug-16 11:25 PM
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128834, "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..."
In response to Reply #6

I'll preface this by saying I haven't played in months and I don't know this character or any really but I have dealt with the Biddy who I love and have had extensive ragers experience as well as leaders.

That said I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this roleplay embargo on trophy. It's already a hard coded limited cabal power. Maybe if he was following the Biddy as his patron then. Maybe. Is there another cabal power in the game that's both hard coded limited AND RP limited? I cannot think of one. And how do I judge when I should hamstring myself and my character and when I should be allowed use a power given to me. Say I have a lucky deathblow round and two round a guy? What if he's tough? Middling? What if I have some unlucky misses and a middling or even less than stellar character gives me a really tough close fight? Then I can't? How about if I fight him again later and it's another close fight? Still no?

My point is if it was being abused, like always having a trophy of a guy you are constantly 2 rounding then maybe you say something. But this? No. This is just going to further disenfranchise a already shrinking player base. And it just opens up another Pandora's box of who's ok to trophy and who isn't. And adds to the number crunchiness that has taken us over.

I really respect you Ysal, always have. But I feel you were wrong in this instance. And hope you'll reconsider your position.

LhydiaMon 08-Aug-16 06:08 AM
2390 posts
#128836, "Basically.."
In response to Reply #25

The new RP requirement on trophy seems to dictate that unless someone can kill you you can't trophy them because typically RBW is going to steamroll enemies if they have the upperhand. So basically if you die THEN you can make a trophy of someone...oh wait.

Was deathblow involved? If yes - no trophy.
Was thirst involved? If yes - no trophy.
Did enemy die fast? If yes - no trophy.
Did you die? If yes - trophy.

YsaloeryeMon 08-Aug-16 03:11 PM
315 posts
#128844, "RE: Basically.. You are over thinking it"
In response to Reply #26

Trophy is a sweet piece of extra gear.
I get what you and TM are saying about it seems to be nerfing it, and I do agree there are too many number crunching playings for the most part. Which is why I do my best to reward people who play from a more RP basis, which can often nerf the power of their char.

The essence of my take on this is the same one I had when I was commander. What I might do is look to do exactly what people have suggested and tweak the functionality of Trophy. Make it more worth while for doing the right thing, and less for doing the poor thing.

I think Burwell's player got more caught up in the fact that the Biddy doesn't tend to say please, thank you, and let me take your point into thoughtful consideration. She just thoughtfully jams her boot up arses.

Would you run into the Inn and bash down some Herald wearing a magical robe, trophy him and be proud about it? Probably not. I laid out some, just some, examples of being more thoughtful about who you trophy and run around flashing your bling off.

Strong Mages
Mages
Strong enemies, maybe ones who have bested you before.
Or an enemy who you slew, where it was right down to the wire and you pulled out win out of your RNG backside.

All would be good trophies that you would be glad to regale your comrades with the tale of your victory.

Even then caveat with the scenarios where you come across mage dude on the edge of death and you pincer his ass. OK you got the MPK, but would you want that to be your legacy? Wearing the skin of the guy you tripped over and he died?

Maybe it's just me. The fights I am most proud of in my career are hard won fights, maybe even against opponents I didn't think I could beat, or that I had lost to before. Hell I remember and am proud of close fights I LOST to great opponents. Any of you who have ever competed in the ring are going to know what I am talking about.

CharadeMon 08-Aug-16 06:52 PM
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128848, "RE: Basically.. You are over thinking it"
In response to Reply #27

I appreciate your view on RP and agree with you. My favorite fights and the ones I took pride in are the same types you list. As to Burwell or his players feelings, I can't speak to them nor should I. That said, I like the solution you proposed to trophy. I think it would be the best way to alleviate the inevitable morass that differing views of what constitutes a good trophy are. The benchmarks you gave, i.e. (Strong mages, mages)I think everyone can agree with but there is always going to be a scenario where those aren't as clear cut. And if they trophy someone that only gives them a +1 +1 it's tangible evidence that in most cases that person wasn't worthy to wear. Of course there will be exceptions, but setting a hard coded baseline I think will stop a lot of arguments that may otherwise lead to hurt feelings on both sides. Good fix.

laxmanMon 08-Aug-16 06:56 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#128849, "playwrs struggle with the unique situation of battle an..."
In response to Reply #27

Unlike all other cabals people carry on discussions about when it is ok to use battle powers (mostly thirst). Trophy has had its moments as well where what's ok has shifted from leader to leader, especially as it pertains to trophing the corpses of other villagers.

You simply don't have the same discussions about insects, centurions, vanguard, or Phoenix brand.

For the record I don't think it really results in booting. More often either the character has a history of questionable activity and a straw breaks the camels back or they get indignant with leader/imms for simply having a conversation.

YsaloeryeTue 09-Aug-16 10:59 AM
315 posts
#128889, "to be clear"
In response to Reply #29

No one was booted, punished, had skills removed.
There was a Biddy-style dressing down, with the only threat of booting being the spikey one that Ysal often applies to backsides.

TMNSMon 08-Aug-16 07:09 PM
2670 posts
#128850, "You know, you "can" be a cowardly rager."
In response to Reply #27

Or one who just loves wearing the skin of his enemies.

Of course, that doesn't mean you won't get #### on by your Cabal IMMs, called to the circle by other ragers, etc.

But you can totally do it.

And FWIW, mage trophies are already better than warrior trophies stats wise, so I thought there was a somewhat incentive to kill mages and trophy their corpse.

TJHuronMon 08-Aug-16 09:56 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128861, "Trophy Stats"
In response to Reply #30

I think non-mage trophies are like +5 Str, +3 dex, +9hit/dam, +50 hp

Mage trophies are like +15 hit/dam, +50 hp.

I might be off a little and I *think* really strong mages give better trophies. For some builds one could argue the non-mage trophy is the better fit.

TMNSMon 08-Aug-16 11:54 PM
2670 posts
#128865, "Well, most berserkers have thirst :)"
In response to Reply #37

So strength/dex coverage isn't as important.

But yeah, I poncho'd Sivyh at least twice I mean, he was a bad ####er.

UmironTue 09-Aug-16 07:02 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128880, "RE: Trophy Stats"
In response to Reply #37

The only thing that impacts a trophy's stats are the class of the victim. Cabal mattered too back when Master/Warlock existed.

That said, it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility that some day in the near(ish) future you'll see trophy made a little more interesting.

KstatidaTue 09-Aug-16 07:41 AM
2214 posts
#128882, "If that's the case"
In response to Reply #37

then I don't know why mage trophies are considered to be "better". I'd take 5 str over 6 dr any day.

GrifterMon 08-Aug-16 07:11 PM
Member since 17th Dec 2015
13 posts
#128851, "Blurring so many lines. "
In response to Reply #27

You are conflating your character the mortal, your character the god and you the admin. You are picking and choosing three different points of view and you are doing all this in a manner that is detrimental to another player's experience. Stop and think, is this what your role should be?

KstatidaTue 09-Aug-16 07:03 AM
2214 posts
#128881, "Unfortunately"
In response to Reply #31

It's really unfortunate how immortals' fun at RPing gods (which is like the only funstick they get other than being altruists without receiving even that much as 'thanks' in return) ruins player experience.

We're just not used to dealing with gods, are we not? And if we deal with them, it's always columns of fire and the great flood and ####, totally ruins fun.

LhydiaMon 08-Aug-16 07:47 PM
2390 posts
#128854, "This isn't 'the ring'. This is a text based mud. "
In response to Reply #27

You're nitpicking stats on a piece of gear from a cabal power.

The power is already designed to be a boost from mage corpses more than non mage corpses. The power is already designed not to let people farm pks for a piece of nice gear.

Is this where you want to be when jesus comes back? Berating people for using cabal powers?

DestuviusMon 08-Aug-16 09:33 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#128856, "Pretty sure Jesus would be anti-trophy..."
In response to Reply #32

probably anti-deathblow too.

MurphyMon 08-Aug-16 09:48 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
#128858, "Jesus is with us rager-haters!"
In response to Reply #33
Edited on Mon 08-Aug-16 09:49 PM

I kid he probably disapproves of magic either.

LhydiaMon 08-Aug-16 09:52 PM
2390 posts
#128860, "I had a conjurer named Me 'n Jesus. "
In response to Reply #34

Well it was Jesmeus. He was a mage. Altruistic ####er as well.

KstatidaTue 09-Aug-16 04:14 AM
2214 posts
#128879, "That was funny :)"
In response to Reply #33

TJHuronMon 08-Aug-16 09:51 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
#128859, "The non-mage trophies are actually pretty great with th..."
In response to Reply #32

Sometimes its preferable over the larger, straight hit/dam bump from the mage trophies.

TMNSMon 08-Aug-16 11:52 PM
2670 posts
#128864, "Life's a garden...NT"
In response to Reply #32

NT

Ardish (Anonymous)Thu 04-Aug-16 08:11 PM
Charter member
#128777, "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..."
In response to Reply #3

I like Burnwell, though you do come across as bitter a lot. I had hoped that was the character and not the player.

As far as luck totally. I think being in the wilds helps me, but I did get away once or twice on roads as well. Might have even forest havened a time or two. That will always work in wilds.

Either way well done.

incognitoFri 05-Aug-16 01:07 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128792, "polearm thoughts"
In response to Reply #3

As a cloud pole spec I found:
chargeset never fails once perfected. There are just certain things that bypass it. (This is true of all the polespecs I've played of various races, including mino.)

Slices never misses once perfected on a giant size (evade being an exception). So I preferred that to chop.

Cutoff is one of those things that always works against your characters and never for them, I suspect most find.

VonzamirFri 05-Aug-16 03:56 PM
Member since 07th Jun 2011
659 posts
#128794, " when they did it was in gangs. "
In response to Reply #3

I liked Burwell as Grondarg, and Dol as Darvoderis. I know you were frustrated Rodacir tended to avoid you, but a felar AP has zero chance against a RBW, so the best thing he can do is avoid those. Add to that a char that will take the time to sac potions is definitely going to sac a 2 charge unholy, and you are even less likely to get a fight. (Did that orc ever log again after you destroyed his prep bag)

There is probably half the builds in the game that have no shot solo against most RBWs, which is the reason for parity and the reason most chars take on a RBW straight up and will just quit if there are 4-5 villagers running around.

TMNSFri 05-Aug-16 07:39 PM
2670 posts
#128798, "Awww, don't quit when there are that many on! It's fre..."
In response to Reply #20

I mean, I killed (or helped kill) pretty much every tough villager in the last year or so (with the exception of Grimghal...who I fought with just shield a couple times) and half the time I wasn't even using preps.

In a straight up cage match, a villager SHOULD pwn faces off. That being said (and I know you know this, just reiterating it for the plebes), certain tactics that don't work against ANYONE else RUINS villagers.

Phid (Anonymous)Sat 06-Aug-16 11:15 AM
Charter member
#128803, "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..."
In response to Reply #3

That was a lot of fun in the mausoleum when Lunn had his armor and everyone was trying to get it. I didn't have a chance against you prepared, so it was fun to catch you almost dead with the falcon in there. After that, I went through 4 amber and 3 sienna rods trying to keep you away from the armor to no avail.

Really had no reason or desire to fight you after that, but did act like you were trying to avoid me once or twice just to be funny.

Phid's only Immteraction was also a negative experience from my perspective, so I feel you.

JoenneTue 02-Aug-16 12:16 AM
Member since 02nd Aug 2016
8 posts
#128717, "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..."
In response to Reply #0

What!!! Sad to see you go man, was having some fun running with you. Ill say more after I'm gone but hope to see you around in your next life.

Tarak (Anonymous)Sun 31-Jul-16 04:55 PM
Charter member
#128709, "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Burwell SharpHorn the Brawling B..."
In response to Reply #0

Wow we had alot of back and forth fights.

And by forth I mean you killing me and back was me coming to my corpse.
Not to say I didn't get you now and again but all in all a terrible terrible match-up for me. Which I will say more of later on.

I thought you were a classy opponent. Tough as nails. Well done.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #128705 Previous topic | Next topic