Subject: "(AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Kowelu Rizzle the Wrong-Doing Tale..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #125445
Show all folders

Death_AngelMon 07-Sep-15 06:48 AM
Member since 21st May 2024
16864 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125445, "(AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Kowelu Rizzle the Wrong-Doing Taleteller of the Inn, Innperial Shadow Ward"

Mon Sep 7 00:40:04 2015

At 5 o'clock PM, Day of Freedom, 18th of the Month of the Winter Wolf
on the Theran calendar Kowelu perished, never to return.

Race:felar
Class:shapeshifter
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:HERALD, the Heralds of the Eternal Star
Hours:631

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Well Done!, Jarmel, 09-Sep-15 06:05 PM, #24
Reply Bah, I had hoped for a few more fights...fleabag!, Varaez (Anonymous), 09-Sep-15 07:41 AM, #11
Reply This was a triumph., Kowelu Rizzle (Anonymous), 08-Sep-15 03:48 AM, #6
Reply amazing character, silat, 08-Sep-15 09:59 AM, #7
Reply Gonna miss ya, Gromm (Anonymous), 08-Sep-15 12:51 PM, #8
Reply Farewells: Immortal, Murphy, 09-Sep-15 07:33 AM, #9
Reply RE: Farewells: Immortal, Drehir, 09-Sep-15 01:12 PM, #22
Reply Glad you enjoyed this character., Raltevio, 12-Sep-15 01:12 PM, #31
Reply Farewells: Herald, Murphy, 09-Sep-15 07:42 AM, #10
Reply RE: Farewells: Herald, Rdenbrel, 10-Sep-15 07:47 AM, #28
Reply Lol thanks , Demos, 19-Sep-15 01:36 PM, #41
Reply Farewells: Battle, Murphy, 09-Sep-15 07:45 AM, #12
Reply Good job on this one, Tiissana (Anonymous), 09-Sep-15 09:30 AM, #20
Reply RE: Farewells: Battle, Buoncuoi (Anonymous), 09-Sep-15 12:01 PM, #21
Reply Farewells: Empire, Murphy, 09-Sep-15 07:54 AM, #13
Reply Farewells: Fortress, Murphy, 09-Sep-15 08:04 AM, #14
Reply RE: Farewells: Fortress, Bertrame (Anonymous), 14-Sep-15 12:01 PM, #33
Reply Shout out? But I didn't know you at all., Murphy, 14-Sep-15 01:54 PM, #34
     Reply You could've said sorry NT, Gromm (Anonymous), 14-Sep-15 03:12 PM, #36
          Reply Sorry for what? (n/t), Murphy, 15-Sep-15 03:51 AM, #39
               Reply For not mentioning character you've never interacted wi..., Kstatida, 15-Sep-15 04:51 AM, #40
Reply Well to be honest...., Welverin, 14-Sep-15 06:55 PM, #37
Reply I was speaking of the time after I got manticore, Murphy, 15-Sep-15 03:50 AM, #38
Reply RE: Farewells: Fortress, Luthantulas2 (Anonymous), 10-Sep-15 01:46 PM, #42
Reply Farewells: Tribunal, Murphy, 09-Sep-15 08:16 AM, #15
Reply RE: Farewells: Tribunal, Bromgrin (Anonymous), 09-Sep-15 06:25 PM, #25
     Reply Yea, I could be the daleks., Murphy, 09-Sep-15 11:55 PM, #26
Reply Farewells: Outlander, Murphy, 09-Sep-15 08:25 AM, #16
Reply Good job., Adira (Anonymous), 10-Sep-15 04:15 PM, #29
     Reply You definitely should have tried more., Murphy, 10-Sep-15 11:34 PM, #30
Reply Farewells: Grinning Skulls, Murphy, 09-Sep-15 08:37 AM, #17
Reply Farewells: Scion, Murphy, 09-Sep-15 08:37 AM, #18
Reply Farewells: Others, Murphy, 09-Sep-15 08:58 AM, #19
Reply Thanks and apt quote, Tsalantha (Anonymous), 10-Sep-15 03:11 AM, #27
Reply RE: Farewells: Others, TJHuron, 14-Sep-15 11:00 AM, #32
     Reply No, it's a quite famous folk tale., Murphy, 14-Sep-15 02:19 PM, #35
Reply So long old timer., Ireswyn (Anonymous), 09-Sep-15 03:00 PM, #23
Reply Well done nt., varnon (Anonymous), 07-Sep-15 12:46 PM, #5
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Kowelu Rizzle the Wrong-Doing ..., Bildot (Anonymous), 07-Sep-15 12:46 PM, #4
Reply You were fun to be around (nt), Bemused, 07-Sep-15 08:57 AM, #3
Reply Yep, miss you already., Nydfeldt (Anonymous), 07-Sep-15 07:44 AM, #2
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Kowelu Rizzle the Wrong-Doing ..., Kippli, 07-Sep-15 06:28 AM, #1

JarmelWed 09-Sep-15 06:05 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
375 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125496, "Well Done!"
In response to Reply #0

I don't know where to start with this.

There was definitely a part with Kregan and I had been for a time going through the motions a bit. But with such a long break from CF by the time I had started interacting with you I had well and truely started running out of steam. There were a few things that happened and a few people which made a massive difference to me making it right the way through. And well looking for -'ve age items so I could prolong it further.

You were one of those people. Truth be told if you wanted to keep fighting I would have, I seemed to do fairly good against most shifters but I am glad you took the chance you did. Thanks for the chats, the adventures and the stories.

All the best for what you have next in store.

Varaez (Anonymous)Wed 09-Sep-15 07:41 AM
Charter member
#125479, "Bah, I had hoped for a few more fights...fleabag!"
In response to Reply #0

Good job,

I'm bummed I won't get to go up against the manticore anymore.

Kowelu Rizzle (Anonymous)Tue 08-Sep-15 03:48 AM
Charter member
#125464, "This was a triumph."
In response to Reply #0

I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Ok, Portal quotes aside, this post:
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=4&topic_id=121456&mesg_id=121458
And this post:
http://www.qhcf.net/phorum/read.php?2,1051533,1051533#msg-1051533
...fell in love and had a child. And man, was it beautiful.

Miracles happen when you stop trying so hard. Seriously, for my whole CF life I've been placing other players' interests above my own. With this character, I made a simple IC and OOC rule: "my fun > everything else". Picking a role that let me be lazy and do only whatever I enjoyed, and hoping everything else would work itself out. And look, it did.

Being evil -- especially chaotic evil -- was something I always struggled with, and playing Kowelu really helped me understand how to do it. Just get used to the idea of getting your way at others' expense. I manipulated. I ganked. I taunted. I caught people with their pants down. And then I lied, bribed or talked my way out of trouble.

What I didn't do was loot or betray groupmates -- not because of OOC sportsmanship, but because good publicity was useful in the long run. Only short-sighted villains go with the instant gratification route. It was also the reason I stepped up for Heralds when they were in trouble: I enjoyed cultivating a reputation.

Specific note about PK and Heralds: I agree that Heralds are not *about* killing but they are not pacifists either. Kowelu didn't need a reason to attack you other than "it's fun", but there could be a zillion reasons NOT to attack someone: having respect for them, considering them useful, tough repercussions, etc. For the most part, he was fairly easy to befriend because I enjoyed socializing.

I think I had 22 PK wins total, which is satisfactory considering I didn't participate directly in Grand CF CTF.

I will post individual goodbyes later.

silatTue 08-Sep-15 09:59 AM
Member since 29th Jul 2011
153 posts
#125465, "amazing character"
In response to Reply #6

Loved you as both Talisin and Zsztyrr. Two huge thumbs up.

Gromm (Anonymous)Tue 08-Sep-15 12:51 PM
Charter member
#125468, "Gonna miss ya"
In response to Reply #6

You were like the only non-ranger non-outlander character Gromm didn't consider hunting, because to Gromm, you were a fellow hunter as well. Thanks for showing me around some things, greatly appreciate it.

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 07:33 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125477, "Farewells: Immortal"
In response to Reply #6

This character sure felt a lot of immlove. I don't feel myself in the right to complain about anything, but at the same time I want to give some feedback. I never before had a mechanical reward, and least of all would I expect one on a char such as Kowelu -- and suddenly, a quest form. It sure breathed new life into the character. By the way, was my lifespan set to this obviously very high value or I was just super lucky?

Whiysdan -- I appreciate what you made possible by accepting my challenge and inducting me afterwards. That was one fun gamble. One bit of constructive criticism: this isn't the first time I get a joke title from you and then it lingers for the rest of my character's life.
Quote for you: "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." (Terry Pratchett, Jingo)

Raltevio -- Gave me kind of a secretive vibe for some reason. I never figured you out, but it was sure good to see the Inn populated again, including in the Immortal department.
Quote for you: "Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend." (Mao Zedong)

Drehir -- Thanks for those couple talks close to the end. I decided to give your task a go, even though I thought I was likely to fail, but then again I didn't have anything to lose, and I was looking to PK people anyway. Though nor I as a player, nor my build are really cut out for solo killing.
Quote for you: "Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." (Lao Tzu)

DrehirWed 09-Sep-15 01:12 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
85 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125491, "RE: Farewells: Immortal"
In response to Reply #9

I was hoping to give you a little fun. For the task I was aiming for something definitively evil to work towards before the end of your life. Give a little jolt to mix up the life of the evil Herald. Unfortunately you did not have much time left to accomplish it. I hope you had fun trying though. At that point I did not think you were going to con die before you were going to age die.

RaltevioSat 12-Sep-15 01:12 PM
Member since 07th Jul 2015
134 posts
#125519, "Glad you enjoyed this character."
In response to Reply #9

For a while it seemed like you were getting burned out with CF based on various forum posts.

Congrats on the Age Death, the Quest form and general fun. Manticore was given on the basis you could talk in form, so I hope you had fun.

Sorry I could not be around for the Age Death. Figures that when my laptop had to go in for repairs, you and Arden would disappear.

I think you hit on a good formula with this character: "Have as much fun as possible, regardless of what other people are doing." When the game is played (and as long as "fun" isn't ganking or tinkling in people's wheaties constantly), everyone tends to be better off for it.

I liked Kowelu. Herald can be fun, but it needs a good crowd.

RE: PKing in Herald, it's fine with me provided..

1. Does not break personal RP.
2. Does not break the rules of the Inn.
3. Does not rope Herald into cabal wars. (Note, if cabal wars find the Heralds that's a different matter.)

That restricts Heralds to some extent, but yeah, you can PK.

Anyway, have a good one and see you in the Fields.

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 07:38 AM
1639 posts
#125478, "Farewells: Herald"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Wed 09-Sep-15 07:42 AM

I've been collecting and telling stories for a long time; my love for storytelling is probably one of my biggest "tells", as I've mentioned on my characters' threads before. But for some reason, I always failed at Herald. I am immensely happy to have finally found a niche in the Cabal.

Rdenbrel -- I don't know what kind of problem you had with Whiysdan or why you even got banned, but IC I didn't like you just because there was so much drama and sadness blowing out from everywhere. It was IC, though. Heh, they need to add a half-buried skeleton at the Inn's door; in memory of one who sat there until the end, crying at passersby and desperate to be let back in.
Quote for you: "Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened." (Terry Pratchett)

Ballard -- Evil Heralds are such a rarity, but the stars somehow aligned so that for some time the Cabal was practically down to just us. I enjoyed the evilness and food pranks and I was really looking forward to murdering innocent folks together. Indeed.
Quote for you: "Evil. Mistrust those who rejoice at it even more than those who do it." (Victor Hugo)

Agarisil -- It's been a while. I remember interviewing you, and it was nice to have some debates and discussion, but I could probably not continue as long as you did with the historian / culturologist angle, it's too sciencey and gets boring quickly. Admittedly we didn't even get to interact all that much, my cannibal prank was meant for you but I ended up never meeting you again.
Quote for you: "If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him." (John F. Kennedy)

Daphedee -- Cheers for beating me to High Herald. We sure had a long history and I did my best to look like "the guy your mom warned you about". I did not have any romance in mind until very, very late -- if it looked like I did, it was just part of my role to be a creepy lech and flirt with everyone. Anyway, when it did come to romance, I found it a nice challenge trying to look slightly disturbing even while showing affection. Should've been bringing you dead rats more often. Or villager skulls. Heh.
Quote for you: "Seeing is more than a physiological phenomenon... We see not only with our eyes but with all that we are and all that our culture is. The artist is a professional see-er." (Dorothea Lange)

Whistner -- Very much like Rdenbrel, you seemed a bit cloudcuckoolanderish, like as if I say one thing and you hear something else entirely. Language barrier maybe?
Quote for you: "I speak in English and think in French. Someday, I'll take French lessons and find out what the heck I'm thinking." (Pointy-Haired Boss from Scott Adams' Dilbert)

Khazhrim -- It was unsettling how we seemed to agree on most everything other than me making fun of your sex change! To a degree, Kowelu saw a kindred spirit in you because you were another Herald who didn't shy from PK. The fact you were good-aligned wasn't much relevant to him.
Quote for you: "Everything will probably never be OK. But we have to try for it." (Vladimir Putin)

Xoog -- Like I said, you grew a lot in my eyes. Solid character, even though you conformed to that pacifistic Herald stereotype. I think I've tried a few times to nag you about it, but for the most part Kowelu wasn't the one to judge people for how they chose to live. Live and let live. Kill and let kill. As long as it's fun.
Quote for you: "You can never be overdressed or overeducated." (Oscar Wilde)

Bildot -- Our dutiful healer. I liked the bustle of activity you brought anywhere you came. Always looking for some fun in one way or another. Good thing I didn't know about your shenanigans with ragers, but then again why would I care?
Quote for you: "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present." (Bil Keane)

Gningeri -- Gingerly! My manticore prank wouldn't have been possible without you! I should've changed the phrase, I know, but I was making stuff up on the fly and it was somewhat hurried. I enjoyed our other interactions too. It's painful to witness how conjurers tend to mob die so often.
Quote for you: "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?" (J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit)

Knodeet -- Haha, I got crap past the radar. I honestly thought I appeared bad enough that people didn't need to double-check with a scroll of detect evil. Guess not. Again, painful to see so many mob deaths. Because you were so much younger, Kowelu mostly treated you like you were his little clueless human brother. A tiny bit of feline self-superiority and condescension, I suppose.
Quote for you: "And the heart that is soonest awake to the flowers is always the first to be touch'd by the thorns." (Thomas Moore)

Caerlon -- Awww, spacing out into the void every so often. I felt a little bad for you, being deprived of some quality CF fun. Hope you enjoyed those little wand hunts. You were a tortoise and you totally ninja-d your amber rod from under the nose of that hero-level aggro mob, so I feel compelled to offer...
Quote for you: "Kowabunga!" (Michaelangelo; not the artist guy)

Kalliel -- I didn't know you all that much, you seemed aloof and always out doing your thing. Those quirky wood-elves, always out in the woods drinking and having fun in ways barely understood by a simple Felar.
Quote for you: "'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'" (Lewis Carroll)

Miakoda -- Daredevil. Loved your company all the way, from having someone to ride the mustang around and stick swords in things, to having someone to gossip and share some of my secrets with.
Quote for you "It is better to err on the side of daring than the side of caution." (Alvin Toffler)

Olorqualn -- The impression I got is nicely summed up by "less expression, more action". You weren't harsh or unfriendly, but you clearly preferred to go and do things, and if you weren't out doing things, then you were brainstorming about how to do things.
Quote for you: "The biggest sin is sitting on your ass." (Rose F. Kennedy)

RdenbrelThu 10-Sep-15 07:47 AM
Member since 08th Apr 2015
86 posts
#125504, "RE: Farewells: Herald"
In response to Reply #10

Thanks for quoting. I thought all have forgotten my first character in CF...Kowelu was really interesting character, however we did not interacted much.

DemosSat 19-Sep-15 01:33 PM
Member since 20th Apr 2003
211 posts
#125599, "Lol thanks "
In response to Reply #10
Edited on Sat 19-Sep-15 01:36 PM

You were super creepy but absolutely fascinated caerlon. Tortoise is king Lol.
I had a rough time voiding out as for almost a month my son wouldn't sleep at any time of day. Thanks for being patient with me all those times.

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 07:45 AM
1639 posts
#125480, "Farewells: Battle"
In response to Reply #6

Emotions aside, I understand villagers are good for the mud, because they always stir up some fighting and they don't create a bad swing even when they dominate -- because they aren't allowed to gang. But I just can't help hating them so much. I often go out of my way to kill them, humiliate them, make fun of their dogma, etc. That's just how the cookie crumbles. Maybe I should start playing mages more often.

Arethousa: Knickersvirf! You were the first to feel the orangutan fist when I just got it at level 43. I was so happy for you! Thanks for all the scraps.
Quote for you: "Despair not! I shall inspire you by charging blindly on!" (Minsc, before going berserk; Baldur's Gate)

Urgandtol: I so loved terrorizing poor hapless villagers that sportsmanship usually went out the window. You took it well, in every sense of the phrase.
Quote for you: "You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." (Napoleon Bonaparte)

Bhelgus: Loved the scraps. Hated eyejab. Nice escape in the Underdark.
Quote for you: "Suicide is man's way of telling God, 'You can't fire me -- I quit.'" (Bill Maher)

Lararani: Blessed +5 Cojones of Steel. If I were you I'd probably... ah hell, I could never be a villager. Who the hell came up with this "hate of magic" idea, anyway!
Quote for you: "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." (George S. Patton)

Iilliia -- I'll just say two things:
1) I have never raided the Village, so threatening to attack the Inn for killing you was disproportionate.
2) Calling me bloodthirsty was spot on, BUT you shouldn't expect ANY mage to leave you alone, not even a total goody-acolytey type.
Quote for you: "I don't know what you were expecting, but as a sword I'm pretty one-dimensional in what I want. (Lilarcor the talking sword, Baldur's Gate 2)

Varaez -- You arrogant arsehole. Should be thankful to me for performing your duties for so long while you were absent
Quote for you: "Don't get mad, get even" (Proverb)

Buoncuoi -- I gave you some mild taunting but it was more out of boredom than any real disliking. Catching you in that tightspace under the docks was hilarious. Good thing I had the sense to prep to the teeth.
Quote for you: "Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards." (Tacitus)

Varnon -- A fellow warmonger is always welcome, though starting fights in the Inn was Kowelu's Berserk Button (TM). Best of luck drowning elves in MAGMA!
Quote for you: "Welcome to ####ing Boatmurdered! Hope you like miasma!" (Epigraph to Boatmurdered Saga)

Zigurafet -- Urgandtol copycat! And you did copy all of his better qualities, too, including the healthy attitude
Quote for you: "If you can't make it good, at least make it look good." (Bill Gates)

Lyra -- I would be disappointed to learn your last name wasn't Heartstrings. Ahaha, JK. Seriously lucky that scouts were such a rarity in the village during my time. I just had not the hitpoints to deal with critical hit, and that's with felar con.
Quote for you: "If an advisor says to me 'My liege, he is but one man. What can one man possibly do?', I will reply 'This.' and kill the advisor." (#46 of Evil Overlord List by Peter Anspach)

Tiissana -- You did well too, although not as overpoweringly well as Lyra. I was thinking of ways to make you trip on your bloodthirst, or gang you down, but there usually was someone easier to prey on, so I didn't give it too much thought. You seemed very surly. I like to cheer people up, but not when the only way to do it is to die by their hand.
Quote for you: "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." (Elbert Hubbard)

Tiissana (Anonymous)Wed 09-Sep-15 09:30 AM
Charter member
#125488, "Good job on this one"
In response to Reply #12

I got a feeling you're avoiding me after a few fights. And with good reason, probably.

As for being surly, you're a mage and I'm a villager, what do you expect except "Die, Mage!" Like you said in reference to another subject, I'm pretty one-dimensional in that regard. Albeit I can have a long conversation with most anyone, shifters are not particularly suited to that on top.

Buoncuoi (Anonymous)Wed 09-Sep-15 12:01 PM
Charter member
#125489, "RE: Farewells: Battle"
In response to Reply #12

So that was you who got me under the docks, I thought it was either the you or the Harbinger since both have water forms.. but now that has been cleared up, I have enjoyed that fight.. that was probably the closest I got you to near death, and if I didn't miss out on the first few rounds things would have been very close! I couldn't do much to the orangutang on the other hand... on the side note, I would much rather a bloodthirsty mage than a cautious one, make mage hunting an easier job for the berserkers eh!

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 07:54 AM
1639 posts
#125481, "Farewells: Empire"
In response to Reply #6

Kowelu had difficult relations with Empire. For almost all of his life there were just enough Imperials who liked me to outweigh the Imperials who hated me. And then some people would die off, and I would do something and the picture would change. It's kinda funny I never actually landed a kill against an Imperial; you were all too savvy for my teeth.

Fessara -- Almost everyone could say I was their enemy at some time, and their friend at some other time. Except for ragers. And you. You were the epitome of what I hate in this game: a player who didn't fight, didn't speak, didn't interact other than stalking, stalking, stalking. Least that's what I got, I hear you fought a lot in raiding, and I think I almost caught you one time during retrieval.
Quote for you: "As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." (Julius Caesar)

Sindrir -- A myriad of reasons aligned so that we went from hostile to friendly to hostile to friendly, and the story behind it was just awesome. I had faith you would be Emperor one day, because you were so cool I didn't really get to fight you much -- either I couldn't catch you alone, or there was someone easier to spend my time trying to kill, or I just didn't feel like it.
Quote for you: "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings a total obliteration. I will face my fear, I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing, only I will remain." (Litany against fear, Frank Herbert, Dune)

Kregan -- We had a long history that started, unsurprisingly, with me trying to kill you, and ended with us being best friends. All you had to do was accept Kowelu with all of his chaotic motivations and flaws, and he would never abandon you.
Quote for you: "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages." (William Shakespeare)

Gaspare -- Never learned the whole of your story, but you sure knew how to make a great impression.
Quote for you: "There is no lonelier man in death, except the suicide, than that man who has lived many years with a good wife and then outlived her. If two people love each other there can be no happy end to it." (Ernest Hemingway)

Quintus -- The opposite of Kregan. Best Kowelu could do is tolerate you. The moment you started talking as if the Heralds were part of the Empire -- he would feel a terrible urge to shift into orangutan and punch you in the face. Because it was like you stepping on his territory and calling it yours.
Quote for you: "People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." (Isaac Asimov)

Sodsob -- My partner in crime. Great fun obliterating villagers with no chance for them to escape! I had what you needed (ability to tank) and you had what I needed (ability to seal kills). Life was sooo much easier ganking everyone, no wonder I always chose to stay friendly with you.
Quote for you:
Niska: You have reputation! Malcom Reynolds gets it done, is the talk.
Mal: Well, I'm glad to hear that.
Niska: You know what is reputation? Is people talking, is gossip. I also have reputation; not so pleasant, I think you know. Crow!
(Crow opens the door to show a tortured man hanging upside-down from the ceiling)
Niska: Now for you, my reputation is not from gossip. You see this man? Ehh, he does not do the job. I show you what I do with him, and now for you my reputation is fact. Is solid. You do the train job for me, then you are solid.
(from Firefly, obviously)

Caecilius -- I think I ran into a stray 7-hour immolation trap at least three times. Good thing I had cobra. We could have made good enemies, or maybe not.
Quote for you: "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." (Julius Caesar)

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 07:59 AM
1639 posts
#125482, "Farewells: Fortress"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Wed 09-Sep-15 08:04 AM

In theory, Kowelu wouldn't differentiate between victims. He would attack a fortressite just as easily as he would an imperial. But the layout of cabalwars is such that it's easier to stick to "acceptable" victims. I mean, since the Fortress is already hostile, I can't make it any worse by killing Marans. But if I start attacking Imperials or Outlanders too much, then there will be consequences, and I didn't want that. I was a sly and cowardly little bitch.

Keara -- Talking to you was... difficult. I interacted with you through countless characters of my own. I took some heed from the memories of our conversations late in Kowelu's life, for example, it influenced my decision to submit some stuff to the Lyceum. Thanks for making it all possible (you were the first to vote for me in the induction challenge).
Quote for you: "On earth there is no heaven, but there are pieces of it." (Jules Renard)

Liffy -- Nice take on Acolyte stuff. Wish I was there to see all the hilarity people complained about.
Quote for you: "The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." (Voltaire)

Adesoka -- Kowelu had no shame and no honor. Absolutely none. Head-on nobody would get killed so I took underhanded tactics and turned it into an art. I tried to "teach" you about the ends justifying the means, hope you enjoyed the talks. Hands down my favorite enemy, you had such great attitude.
Quote for you: "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." (Isaac Asimov)

Rilanith -- Murphy-felar #2345 sends regards to Welverin-fortie #9876! I enjoyed our interactions, and enjoyed ganking you, and you were cool.
Quote for you: "Those are brave men. Let's go kill them." (George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings)

Lithodora -- Thanks for not stealing my stuff, eh. It occasionally seemed like you were tailing me everywhere I went, never attacking but waiting for an opportunity. You know I would have welcomed it if you backstabbed me and then had some paladindude teleport in via cry of the phoenix. I used to do that a lot back in the days when I played a Fort thief.
Quote for you: "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this!" (Famous phrase from Zelda game)

Eliara -- Funny how you chose to treat me as an extremely low-priority target. I hope it was just because you lost all hope of ever beating me, NOT because you thought Heralds should be excluded from PK. What Kowelu hated the most was being ignored. But it's all good, see the quote below.
Quote for you: "You can't please everyone. When you're too focused on living up to other people's standards, you aren't spending enough time raising your own. Some people may whisper, complain and judge. But for the most part, it's all in your head. People care less about your actions than you think. Why? They have their own problems!" (Kris Carr)

Ashworth -- Our playtimes seemed to align a lot. Thanks for the all the fights, even though I would've liked to have more.
Quote for you: "Should you shield the canyons from the windstorms you would never see the true beauty of their carvings." (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross)

Bertrame (Anonymous)Mon 14-Sep-15 12:01 PM
Charter member
#125538, "RE: Farewells: Fortress"
In response to Reply #14

What no shout out for the Cardinal?

MurphyMon 14-Sep-15 01:54 PM
1639 posts
#125540, "Shout out? But I didn't know you at all."
In response to Reply #33

Even searching my logs produces no examples of ever speaking to you, or fighting you. I'm not sure what I could comment on that.

Gromm (Anonymous)Mon 14-Sep-15 03:12 PM
Charter member
#125545, "You could've said sorry NT"
In response to Reply #34

NT

MurphyTue 15-Sep-15 03:51 AM
1639 posts
#125568, "Sorry for what? (n/t)"
In response to Reply #36

nt

KstatidaTue 15-Sep-15 04:51 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125569, "For not mentioning character you've never interacted wi..."
In response to Reply #39

You silly

WelverinMon 14-Sep-15 06:55 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
624 posts
#125557, "Well to be honest...."
In response to Reply #14

You never really showed up on the radar until what the last 60 or so hours of Eliara's life. Most of the time, I'd see you sitting in the guild, or you'd be hiding as the spider. I never really got the sense that I could find you in a position that would be even close to a successful fight. Then you started coming after me with Sodsob, and I just took an immediate dislike to you. After that, I really just didn't care if I fought you or not. Low priority target, yeah, pretty much because you were either trying to gang with Empire, or pretty much not anywhere near me until you got your quest form that I can remember.

MurphyTue 15-Sep-15 03:50 AM
1639 posts
#125567, "I was speaking of the time after I got manticore"
In response to Reply #37

So you thought you couldn't beat me unless I was unprepped. Which was not my experience at all. Almost every time you did choose to fight back not half-heartedly, I was forced to retreat.

FYI, manticore wasn't unquestionably more powerful than orangutan. It just had flyto, so you couldn't walk a few squares away and heal up.

And I don't understand the gripe against ganging. It's easier to kill your enemies when they try to gang you. It's also easier to die, but hell, you avoided like 90% of lag moves!

Luthantulas2 (Anonymous)Sun 20-Mar-16 05:43 PM
Charter member
#125507, "RE: Farewells: Fortress"
In response to Reply #14

I really liked your character. You were willing to step out and be evil as well as have a conversation when you weren't looking to have fun (read:fight) with Luth.

GLWYN - Bring on another quality character.

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 08:16 AM
1639 posts
#125483, "Farewells: Tribunal"
In response to Reply #6

Being wanted wasn't an acceptable consequence, so if I wasn't 100% sure I would get away with breaking a law, I behaved like a model citizen. Besides, I sort of cultivated a reputation of lawfulness. Sometimes I would refuse to fight in the city, and tell the enemy that they need to fight me "outside". Then, much later, I would attack someone in the city when they assumed I would not. Because I'm eeeeeevil.

Also, I once made Tribs remove a wrong warrant by threatening them instead of pleading with them. Felt like a unique feat

Hitrilipimi -- It might sound odd, but I'm glad you got to see both sides of my character. Claiming I was being lawful out of respect to you was a lie, although Kowelu did truly respect you. P.S. I voted for you.
Quote for you: "There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man." (Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear)

Kukuo -- Where did you get that silly idea that Heralds are not allowed to PK whoever they want? It's not fair because they can hide in the Inn? Coming from a Trib that's hilarious, and I never felt safe in the Inn anyway; in fact, unless there was a gathering, I barely sat there at all. That aside, I didn't really expect that effort from you to set things straight. Cheers.
Quote for you: "Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem." (Attributed to Joseph Stalin)

Zarzithuul -- You weren't exactly predictable, and that's what made you dangerous. Sometimes I looked at you and saw myself, in a sense that I never knew if you were gonna be helpful or try to kill me.
Quote for you: "A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him." (Aesop)

Bromgrin -- I liked the opportunity you presented to me by placing that #### warrant Too bad we didn't get to fight even once before the big guys smoothed the conflict over.
Quote for you: "But that was civilisation, so far as Logen could tell. People with nothing better to do, dreaming up ways to make easy things difficult." (Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself)

Selionar -- I must've been a very frustrating enemy for you. Appreciate bringing it on. That one time I got to use swipe and it did something useful...
Quote for you: "Enemies make you stronger, allies make you weaker." (Frank Herbert)

Tepvrin -- At the moment of you-know-what my pen skill was like 75%. I'm just saying. I went and worked it up to 100 afterwards, because you showed me how it could be a great RP tool.
Quote for you: "Monsters are entirely mythological, sir, like spirits, werebeasts, and competent bureaucrats." (George R.R. Martin, Tuf Voyaging)

Bromgrin (Anonymous)Wed 09-Sep-15 06:25 PM
Charter member
#125497, "RE: Farewells: Tribunal"
In response to Reply #15

You remind me on Einrai. You were awesome. So was Einrai.

Either way I present you Einrai's song, which applies to you (if yer are the daleks): http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=4&topic_id=120401&mesg_id=120552&page=

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 11:55 PM
1639 posts
#125502, "Yea, I could be the daleks."
In response to Reply #25

The song I'd pick for Kowelu would be "Still Alive":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZN-I3exT-c

The initial role was written way before I rolled the character, back when Scionce was still a thing.

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 08:25 AM
1639 posts
#125484, "Farewells: Outlander"
In response to Reply #6

I had not intended my character for any specific cabal at the time of rolling. It was only a day or so after that I saw the thread about "evil mages have nowhere to go" and I got this idea of going Herald. If not for that, I could easily have ended up in Outlander.

Nydfeldt -- Early ranking buddy. We slaughtered so much tasty seafood together, and you were one of the few who didn't seem like they would go hostile at the slightest excuse. Then again, of course most outties I knew were reavers.
Quote for you: "The only thing that could spoil a day was people. People were always the limiters of happiness except for the very few that were as good as spring itself." (Ernest Hemingway)

Gromm -- Fellow murderous spirit! I liked your character progression and was sad to see your times become more and more rare.
Quote for you: "All the seven deadly sins are man's true nature. To be greedy. To be hateful. To have lust. Of course, you have to control them, but if you're made to feel guilty for being human, then you're going to be trapped in a never-ending sin-and-repent cycle that you can't escape from." (Marilyn Manson)

Avarillon -- I rarely had the drive to go after you specifically; tough prey. It was bound that we were going to conflict sooner or later, but it felt like I was good at dodging between mortal foes and never really becoming any one cabal's enemy.
Quote for you: "Human nature is evil, and goodness is caused by intentional activity." (Xun Zi)

Fek -- Wish I took some time to speak with you. I never really explored what Kowelu ought to be thinking about Wardens, to him they were like just some other variant of the Fortress, i.e. free prey with no repercussions for hunting them.
Quote for you: "If we choose to walk into a forest where a tiger lives, we are taking a chance. If we swim in a river where crocodiles live, we are taking a chance. If we visit the desert or climb a mountain or enter a swamp where snakes have managed to survive, we are taking a chance." (Peter Benchley)

Lilyth -- Mixed feelings. I guess I kinda mellowed towards you. Terrible experience as Dhaiwr, alright as Haraji, and now I got to look from a (somewhat) friendly side. We fought a bit, too, when you were in fortlander. Pick a better name next time.
Quote for you: "The tendency to aggression is an innate, independent, instinctual disposition in man... it constitutes the powerful obstacle to culture." (Sigmund Freud)

Pon -- When you were hunting someone I was hunting, I welcomed the help. When you turned hostile, I welcomed the fun. Yay Carrion Fields!
Quote for you: "Nature has never read the Declaration of Independence. It continues to make us unequal." (Will Durant)

Liantae -- I refuse to help Tribunal against you, in front of you, and you decide to attack me instead of them? Making a point of how big badass chaotic evil you are, eh? I was glad you did it. Had too many friends.
Quote for you: "Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones." (William Shakespeare)

Valdifer -- Mixed feelings. I wasted SO much resources preparing for fights that never happened. Hated you especially because you made resting in guilds impractical and somewhat dangerous.
Quote for you: "Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." (Sun Tzu)

Adira (Anonymous)Thu 10-Sep-15 04:15 PM
Charter member
#125508, "Good job."
In response to Reply #16

Saved the best for last, then?

I never killed you. Perhaps I should have.

MurphyThu 10-Sep-15 11:34 PM
1639 posts
#125512, "You definitely should have tried more."
In response to Reply #29

I had no idea why you were even trying to be nice!

There were very few ways for me to force a fight on a hider, so I pretty much thought, whatever, you don't want to fight, so I'll at least make things a bit safer for myself.

Here's a quote for you: "I'm not saying there won't be an Accident now, mind you. They're funny things, Accidents. You never have them till you're having them." (A.A.Miln, The House at Pooh Corner)

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 08:36 AM
1639 posts
#125485, "Farewells: Grinning Skulls"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Wed 09-Sep-15 08:37 AM

Kowelu was all for promoting more conflict in Thera, so Orcs felt like the best investment. And I spent a lot of time helping young Orcs, ganking with big Orcs, protecting Orcs, chatting with Orcs, showing the world to Orcs. I felt almost like an Orc myself sometimes. Facebite! Smash! Smash!

Ghrakzub -- I liked your performance at the costume party. You could've made a great Herald
Quote for you: "I must learn to love the fool in me -- the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries." (Theodore Isaac Rubin)

Azhag -- You looked like you knew what you were doing. It's been too long, and I forget the details, but that's the impression I was left with.
Quote for you: "The rules of survival never change, whether you're in a desert or in an arena." (Bear Grylls)

Kobuk -- That horde sure looked big when it walked around with you. And how everyone addressed the little puny kobold instead of you, it was hilarious. You should have told them the kobold was your advisor or something!
Quote for you: "I came, I saw, I conquered." (Julius Caesar)

Nuhnug -- The whole incident on the battlefield reminded me of a certain strip from Order of the Stick. But you handled it much better than the characters of that comic
Quote for you: just look here - http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0465.html

Vokrem -- I'm certainly not good at safeguarding my groupmates, especially someone as glass-cannony as Orcs, but I did my best. Wish you had been around for Kowelu's earlier years.
Quote for you: "Let's go be bad guys!" (Jayne in Firefly)

Worthag -- Good times roaming around and trying to lure someone into a two-man gank. It is my hope that I was able to show you something you didn't already know
Quote for you: "Life itself is short, but lasts longer than misfortunes." (Publilius Syrus)

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 08:37 AM
1639 posts
#125486, "Farewells: Scion"
In response to Reply #6

Farewell, Scion.

MurphyWed 09-Sep-15 08:42 AM
1639 posts
#125487, "Farewells: Others"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Wed 09-Sep-15 08:58 AM

Jermet -- Were you RPing trying to overcome your savage wight nature, eh? Because you sure seemed very orderly, though I was constantly expecting you to cave in and try murdering me or someone else of your "allies".
Quote for you: "You know when you're sitting in a chair, and you lean back so you're just on two legs, and then you lean too far and you almost fall over, but just at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time." (Steven Wright)

Aufang -- Wasn't sure what to make of you. I ran into you several times and was going to try PKing you, but was distracted by something else every time. Found it mildly funny that you were annoyed by my spellcasting in the Inn. Everyone does that, I've seen enough to never drop my guard even in the absence of apparent danger.
Quote for you: "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world" (G-Man in Half-Life 2)

Talisin -- I noticed we were of the same sphere and it was cool to see how different can two takes on the same concept be. Kowelu was certainly not Akresius material, even though I subscribed to the same idea of beauty in combat. Well, more like beauty in bloodshed -- I wasn't about challenge at all.
Quote for you: "When were you ever? But it's no joke. You were a hero round these parts. That's what they call you when you kill so many people the word murderer falls short." (Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold)

Dundlin -- Saw you a lot. It was good to hang out and gossip and roam together and it easily outweighed the fun of trying to kill you. Honestly, I need to roll a dwarf one of those days, because dwarves are cool.
Quote for you: "Well, they tell ya, never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is on occasion hilarious." (Mal in Firefly)

Noth -- Reminded me of Hothgar, and that's a compliment because Hothgar was awesome. You were very respectful and friendly without taking away from your Nexus duties.
Quote for you: "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." (Edward Abbey)

Tsalantha -- Well played. I felt like I could have become a very uncomfortable enemy for you, but our life philosophies were close enough to let us be allies, and I decided not to push for hostility. You always left this sinister, dangerous impression that many evils seem to lack.
Quote for you: "So near is falsehood to truth that a wise man would do well not to trust himself on the narrow edge." (Marcus Tullius Cicero)

Jeede -- Never knew whether you ever were after me, but with assassins I almost always prefer to stay safe.
Quote for you: "Nothing else so destroys the power to stand alone as the habit of leaning."

Aurescmont -- You bully. Pick on a midbie shifter while he has no way to fight back? I'm not the forgiving kind, and I did everything I could to be a thorn in your side at hero. Even helped Adesoka several times against you. See you in the fields.
Quote for you: "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets." (Dracula in Castlevania Symphony of the Night)

Delaed -- That same sinister, dangerous impression as Tsalantha, only you were more dangerous and I was much younger and weaker at the time. I thought for sure you were going to kill me, but you instead gave me some gear. I kept some of it for my entire life!
Quote for you: "Given a big enough why people can bear almost any how." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Tsalantha (Anonymous)Thu 10-Sep-15 03:11 AM
Charter member
#125503, "Thanks and apt quote"
In response to Reply #19

Kowelu seemed refreshingly different from the cookie cutter herald which made me as a player want you to succeed as a character. I think the reason I originally didn't try to kill you was that you gave me the impression that you might well leave herald when it had served it's purpose, and you seemed on the path towards a scarab life. I probably should have reviewed that decision to see if it remained valid but I didn't think to do so.'

Form wise I think you would have been tough though I'll note that I did fight hoysepis with chamo and gorilla form, so not that dissimilar. You probably had greater survivability though if you lived to teleport. I do have lots of tricks to make escape harder though. If we'd been enemies I think I'd probably have done ok head to head with you, in terms of bit dying but killing, but my hunting of others would have been severely compromised. Come to think of it you probably would have killed me too, that time you assisted me against the rager. If you had punched me instead I would have died since I was already going to eat a disembowel if he could target me.

Well played. I would have liked to travel more with you but felt that would be a step too far from a scarab perspective.

TJHuronMon 14-Sep-15 11:00 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125537, "RE: Farewells: Others"
In response to Reply #19

I'd have had no trouble if you wanted to try and PK me. I didn't realize you were so active in PK. That's really cool to see on a herald. I enjoyed that story you told me in the inn that one time. I can't recall it off the top of my head but it was a decent story, I remember thinking. Were you just making that up off the top of your head?

Aufang

MurphyMon 14-Sep-15 02:18 PM
1639 posts
#125541, "No, it's a quite famous folk tale."
In response to Reply #32
Edited on Mon 14-Sep-15 02:19 PM

There's even a wikipedia article on it (and its many variants):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godfather_Death

I sometimes improvise when storytelling, but it's more in the sense of "look at the situation at hand and pick a relevant tale from memory instead of having one in advance". Or pick one based on mood, which was the case with this particular tale. Sometimes I change parts, but almost never make up a story completely from scratch.

Ireswyn (Anonymous)Wed 09-Sep-15 03:00 PM
Charter member
#125492, "So long old timer."
In response to Reply #6

I enjoyed just watching you have your fun, but that prank in the Inn was amazing. Once you had him yelling the phrase, I couldn't stop laughing, and rolling my eyes that the guy actually fell for it.

A fun character all around.

varnon (Anonymous)Mon 07-Sep-15 12:46 PM
Charter member
#125454, "Well done nt."
In response to Reply #0

nt

Bildot (Anonymous)Mon 07-Sep-15 12:46 PM
Charter member
#125453, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Kowelu Rizzle the Wrong-Doing ..."
In response to Reply #0

Master Kowelu! You will be so dearly missed. I really think you did a perfect job as an evil Herald. You had this aloof and eerie feel about you, but at the same time you were welcoming and friendly but in your own non-sappy way. I loved the stories, I loved our adventures. There will be a void in the RP-balance of the Inn without you.

BemusedMon 07-Sep-15 08:57 AM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
663 posts
#125451, "You were fun to be around (nt)"
In response to Reply #0

nt

Nydfeldt (Anonymous)Mon 07-Sep-15 07:44 AM
Charter member
#125450, "Yep, miss you already."
In response to Reply #0

I always thought we were close in hours but I see you had me by a fair amount. I really enjoyed our time together, exploring, chatting, general RP. You were certainly fun to be around. Great Job, and best of luck with whatever's next.

KippliMon 07-Sep-15 06:28 AM
Member since 07th Sep 2015
1 posts
#125449, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Kowelu Rizzle the Wrong-Doing ..."
In response to Reply #0

Wow always thought i would be the first to go! We both have been around for ages. Had fun ranking up together and always enjoyed your role play. GLWYN

My mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didnt understand the assignment, and I told them they didnt understand life. JL

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #125445 Previous topic | Next topic