Subject: "(AUTO) [FORTRESS] Araton the Planewalker, Acolyte of th..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #123917
Show all folders

Death_AngelTue 31-Mar-15 09:24 AM
Member since 25th Sep 2024
17181 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#123917, "(AUTO) [FORTRESS] Araton the Planewalker, Acolyte of the Golden Sun"

Tue Mar 31 09:23:38 2015

At 12 o'clock AM, Day of the Bull, 8th of the Month of the Battle
on the Theran calendar Araton perished, never to return.

Race:elf
Class:conjurer
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:191

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

VladamirThu 09-Apr-15 10:54 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#123982, "Yet another case of "What happened with the character w..."
In response to Reply #0

I hadn't intended to go Fortress at all for one, I was going to go Herald and be a little dirtier than I wound up being RP wise, mostly because my connection at present is truly terrible and standing around in the inn is safer. Even when finally going to the Fortress, it was because IC someone convinced me, and I told them straight up I didn't think I was Fortress material. I said and did things at times that were probably borderline bad behavior, but it was always for the light and kind of a "cut to the root of a problem" situation, like paying someone off to "be distracted" on their way to defend when we raided, etc. I used money and items to coerce or bribe the behavior I wanted from evils. Ychram and I were damned near best friends, when we weren't trying to kill each other. We even experimented in the name of magic together once, inside of the Consortium where all mages can work freely (in our eyes as justification) We were pretty evenly matched, so it was reasonably safe for us to sit and talk, it was only when we WEREN'T sitting and talking we had to watch out for each other. Essentially my plan was to bribe the Empire to #### off and leave the world alone. I had actually made EXCELLENT progress on this (see Ychram!) and more #### started going wrong. My role vanished, and I always consider this a very bad sign for my character when it happens. Then I took an edge meant to make my archons stronger, and it totally ####ed me. Lumi lumi lumi. After a steady diet of transplendants since getting the frigging spell, I take an edge to make them stronger and it ####s all over me. Awesome. Tried adjusting my mana amounts and it was now just entirely a crapshoot. Just totally bent me over and had it's way with me, since when I DID get good archons, they just hung out and watched me getting anally violated. Oh and I broke the cardinal rule about never eating grapes. I have a theory about certain things and it involves food. I go to the shop and see those super expensive grapes and think "No frigging way would they sell them in a store, that would be utterly stupid. Who the hell would shop in a store that sells those, let alone would BUY them, and especially at that price. No, that's got to be something good. It doesn't even make sense for someone to sell those other kind of grapes". Bought them, checked them out every way I could with magic and whatnot, and seemed to be just food. Except they weren't. I broke the cardinal rule in CF, never eat the grapes. But I maintain that it's ####ing stupid for them to be sold in a hometown like that. Like that guy is getting any repeat customers?! The hell? Like he would stay in business 5 minutes. Anyway, enough rant, it was another thing that went wrong. But it went wrong before my archons and angels went to #### and I rolled with it. I decided it allowed me to truly feel the worlds pain as both genders, and I was going to continue on and incorporate it into my role, except my role had disappeared and none of the stuff I had actually INTENDED to do any more mattered, and then archons went to #### and honestly I just got anxiety attacks at the thought of logging this character in, just to see what else could go wrong.

TMNSThu 09-Apr-15 12:49 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#123984, "FWIW you made me laugh a lot."
In response to Reply #1

Araton made my characters groan, but made me laugh.

Bummer you had some frustrations towards the end.

VladamirFri 10-Apr-15 07:04 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#123989, "It wasn't frustrations toward the end, it was a LOT of ..."
In response to Reply #2

I logged in one day and normally at this point I think to myself "I am my character. What is the first thing I do when I wake up?" and I realized, I just had no idea anymore. The character had gone so far from not only were HE had started from, but between my role having been wiped out and the changes gradually forced on the character by circumstance(Hurks crap, those stupid grapes, the Fortress basically being the Jehovas Witnesses of CF. pushing to convert everyone),I just had no clue who she was anymore.

The point was to be a rich, jaded dilettante who was from a long line of war profiteers. He was Gauche riche, because his grandfather had perfected a method for imbuing weapons with spells in a cheaper fashion, so he had a ton of money but absolutely NO class. During an attack on his people, it comes out that his father had been selling enchantments to the Empire under the table for a profit, and Darsylon had suffered an attack because of it. It was hushed up, but Araton still felt the need to cut himself off from his families money and to leave Darsylon. To this end, he used money, objects, things people wanted to get what he wanted from them. He was going to be what I call dirty good. He was the decent guy at heart and would save your life at the cost of his own if it came to it, but he'd also bang your sister and he REALLY liked to party. His motto was, if I'm going out, I'm going out with a bang! He was a bit of an elven snob and a racist, but slightly more crass about it than the true highborn elves were. I based him on the "new money" families I met while bodyguarding, in comparison to the manners and breeding in "old money".

I roleplayed out my gender change the way I feel a real sudden gender change forced on someone would. I initially showed a (very) mild interest in men, just as I was going through the change, but after I fully fleshed out my description, my character decided she was still only into women and once the hormonal changes found balance she was back to herself. It's NOT A CHOICE PEOPLE!

Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun along the way, but the character had just gone so directionless and off the rails from where he started, I just had no clue what his reasons for anything were anymore. The way my archons got completely nerfed after taking the better archon edge was just the final nail in the coffin really. There's just no way I'm staying on to fight 5=6 evils in range with me alone at a time, with nothing better than a lumi to work with.

FYI The new wand system still really need some tweaks. I found myself having to repeatedly kill some mobs I was WICKED uncomfortable with killing for a wand. Even armor, you're going to wear it a long time, I can see it sometimes but it's not really something I casually do. But I kept getting relatively non-offensive things like peaceful gnome transmuters in Hillcrest or the fat lady in the Consortium. I mean, as an Acolyte, I REALLY didn't feel good about those. I basically walked up and roleplayed by need for their wand, and how their refusal to use the wand in the fight against evil was tantamount to defending evil and blah blah every time I needed a wand. It was all a dog and pony show to excuse that I wasn't going to be assigned a new wand, until I killed a mob I shouldn't be killing in the first place to take theirs. So while it was, as many aspects of CF are, frustrating, it was nice to actually get a sleek wand for once, before you can kick on that "No wands" filter you had me running on on the old one. (Please realize this comment was, at least mostly, tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously)

Keara (Anonymous)Fri 10-Apr-15 10:31 PM
Charter member
#123990, "Grapes (not sour)"
In response to Reply #1

Lol the grapes. Lol

Had fun with Araton. Felt like I got to reshow you a thing or two. Probably was the case. Liked the rp most of the time. Didn't mind some of the decisions you made that others I'm sure would have had more conflict with. They made sense for your char or at least how I understood Araton.

Like Sam said, cringe worthy at times. But who am I to talk. You were also pretty damn funny a lot of the time.

Get a better internet connection and play another goodie. Something with summon.

K

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #123917 Previous topic | Next topic