Subject: "(CON LOSS) [HERALD] Diri Dauntless the Death-Defying Da..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #122192
Show all folders

Death_AngelWed 15-Oct-14 09:36 AM
Member since 21st Sep 2024
17174 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#122192, "(CON LOSS) [HERALD] Diri Dauntless the Death-Defying Daredevil, Lucky Reckless Stuntgnome of the Eternal Star"

Wed Oct 15 09:31:50 2014

At 9 o'clock AM, Day of the Bull, 22nd of the Month of the Dragon
on the Theran calendar Diri perished, never to return.

Race:gnome
Class:shapeshifter
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:HERALD, the Heralds of the Eternal Star
Hours:279

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Ahh Diri lass..., AncientNewbie, 25-Nov-14 01:06 PM, #29
Reply Sooooo. Farewell!, Diri Dauntless (Anonymous), 16-Oct-14 11:53 AM, #16
Reply RE: Sooooo. Farewell!, Warren, 16-Oct-14 12:18 PM, #18
Reply btw, did the imms set your forms? nt, Dallevian, 16-Oct-14 03:42 PM, #19
     Reply Not that I know of. I actually rolled one of them. , Diri Dauntless (Anonymous), 16-Oct-14 03:49 PM, #20
          Reply Some of them were definitely set, Someone who helped you rank a lot (Anonymous), 28-Oct-14 08:52 PM, #21
          Reply RE: Not that I know of. I actually rolled one of them. , Zeph (Anonymous), 28-Oct-14 09:59 PM, #23
               Reply Was a lemur. If I got a sand lizard, would have kept it..., Warren, 29-Oct-14 11:51 AM, #26
Reply Dug me some Diri!, Whiysdan, 16-Oct-14 11:50 AM, #15
Reply RE: Dug me some Diri!, Diri Dauntless (Anonymous), 16-Oct-14 12:00 PM, #17
Reply 10 out of 10 stars., Dallevian, 15-Oct-14 06:41 PM, #9
Reply Whoohooooo! :), Diri Dauntless (Anonymous), 15-Oct-14 07:00 PM, #11
Reply Hated pretty much everything about this character, but ..., Lhydia, 15-Oct-14 05:43 PM, #8
Reply Yup. No botting. I literally talked to everyone. , Diri Dauntless (Anonymous), 15-Oct-14 07:00 PM, #10
     Reply Ha. Never been so glad that I could hide., Murphy, 30-Oct-14 03:07 AM, #27
          Reply I don't get it., Warren, 31-Oct-14 08:17 AM, #28
Reply I had a lot of mixed feelings about you through several..., Rogue, 15-Oct-14 02:53 PM, #5
Reply You are dead on!, Diri Dauntless (Anonymous), 15-Oct-14 05:18 PM, #6
Reply I had no idea you were so close to con death., Ainaele (Anonymous), 15-Oct-14 10:20 AM, #3
Reply Oops!, Diri Dauntless (Anonymous), 15-Oct-14 10:25 AM, #4
Reply NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!, Padfeinwen (Anonymous), 15-Oct-14 09:44 AM, #1
     Reply Hence the "Challenge" part of the "Character Challenge", Diri Dauntless (Anonymous), 15-Oct-14 10:11 AM, #2
          Reply RE: Hence the , regrag (Anonymous), 15-Oct-14 05:27 PM, #7
               Reply Yup!, Diri Dauntless (Anonymous), 15-Oct-14 07:01 PM, #12
               Reply Reckless with other peoples lives?, Cionadh (Anonymous), 16-Oct-14 12:00 AM, #13
                    Reply Maybe I *AM* twist. And, not really., Diri Dauntless (Anonymous), 16-Oct-14 10:29 AM, #14
                    Reply Sad to see you go, Shazidra (Anonymous), 28-Oct-14 09:12 PM, #22
                    Reply What robe?, Twist, 29-Oct-14 08:55 AM, #24
                         Reply Is the one off that thing in that area we can't say, wh..., Warren, 29-Oct-14 11:50 AM, #25
                         Reply RE: What robe?, Cionadh (Anonymous), 03-Dec-14 02:20 PM, #30

AncientNewbieTue 25-Nov-14 01:06 PM
Member since 26th Oct 2010
29 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#122463, "Ahh Diri lass..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 25-Nov-14 01:06 PM

First off, great character! Loved the personality and from what I saw I thought you played recklessness to a T. I am just as sad as you that our story line couldn't progress, you were definitely the most intriguing relationship that Pendleton had and our interactions were great. I'm also sad I could never go with you to make sure you didn't get yourself into trouble with that 5 headed overgrown lizard you liked so much to rile up.

Alas, even though Pendleton was an absolute blast to play, real life got in the way and I had to break from CF for a while (I certainly didn't abandon Pendleton for another char).

Anyway, maybe I'll be able to kick around a new character somewhere in the not too distant future...

Pendleton Jarvis
The most miraculous mediator of miracles!
The prodigious purveyor of phenomenons!
The extraordinary exemplar of extravagant easements!
The dazzling Doctor of daunting disorders!
The courageous cultivator of complex cures!

P.S. Also enjoyed having Mirozah as my bane with Larinia (Fortie croc/rhino that never could quite seal the deal )

Diri Dauntless (Anonymous)Thu 16-Oct-14 11:53 AM
Charter member
#122217, "Sooooo. Farewell!"
In response to Reply #0

I didn't get around to posting a "goodbye" note before responding to a few folks, but I guess better late than never.

Amaranthe: Thank you! This was a ton of fun from start to finish. Everything from the emails flying back and forth during character creation, to your wonderful concept. It was like Christmas Day opening your email with my character sheet.

Whiysdan: I've had several incarnations which interacted with you; Diri was by far the most successful. I kinda 'get' why she worked so well with your "religion", but I'd love to hear from your side. Anyway, you always made things fun when you were around, and we've done so stuff that I've never seen done before, from going dragon hunting together to having our free for all brawl in the brawling room. Fun stuff.

Tiamat Folks: I had a lot of fun organizing this hunt. Thanks to everyone who participated. I know we did it "fast", but, it was fun.

Yzekon Folks: I really, really wanted to open that chest. yeah, we all died, but it was fun.

ST Folks: I'm glad I got to travel with some folks, FINALLY. I had some real opportunity to do lots of stuff in there. I do wish things had worked out better with a few individuals so we could have done some more cool stuff. Sorry so.. vague, but you know.

Hell Folks: I couldn't think of a better way to go.

Maus Folks: Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I helped dozens of people level up through the 300 hours or so, and it was either very, very successful... or everyone died.

Inn Folk: Always a pleasure. Herald is very different than any other cabal - and it can be a lot of fun - especially when there is some activity going on. That being said, I held (personally) two different events that.. nobody showed up to. Countless more than were barely successful (2-5 people) I think Herald would be a bit more successful if there was actual prizes (xp/skillups/etc), or IMMteraction at the events.

If you write to me, I'll write back!

WarrenThu 16-Oct-14 12:18 PM
Member since 17th Dec 2012
396 posts
#122220, "RE: Sooooo. Farewell!"
In response to Reply #16

Oh -

Previous Characters:

Rydell
Mirozah
Mordrin
Kessalissa(sil)

Sure i'm forgetting a few, but those are the recent ones.

DallevianThu 16-Oct-14 03:42 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1639 posts
#122224, "btw, did the imms set your forms? nt"
In response to Reply #16

nt

Diri Dauntless (Anonymous)Thu 16-Oct-14 03:49 PM
Charter member
#122225, "Not that I know of. I actually rolled one of them. "
In response to Reply #19

nt

Someone who helped you rank a lot (Anonymous)Tue 28-Oct-14 08:52 PM
Charter member
#122306, "Some of them were definitely set"
In response to Reply #20

You can't get both tortoise AND armadillo on the same focus, and I was ranking with you for both of them, though I think with two different characters (of mine). Tortoise and armadillo were both on your major focus, and (I THINK) you got pachyderm for final minor form, didn't you? But then decided to roll and switch it out, and ended up with Komodo, which was exactly what you wanted.

There was at least one other character challenge shifter with Imm-set forms. He was an offense major (unsure of his minor), but also had some lesser utility and some lesser defense forms.

Zeph (Anonymous)Tue 28-Oct-14 09:59 PM
Charter member
#122308, "RE: Not that I know of. I actually rolled one of them. "
In response to Reply #20

Mine were set, my note actually said not to switch them out. I thought Komodo and Armadillo fit Diri so well I just assumed they were picked for you as well! Was fun ranking with you.

WarrenWed 29-Oct-14 11:51 AM
396 posts
#122312, "Was a lemur. If I got a sand lizard, would have kept it..."
In response to Reply #23

Thanks bud, glwyn

WhiysdanThu 16-Oct-14 11:50 AM
Member since 04th Aug 2011
243 posts
#122214, "Dug me some Diri!"
In response to Reply #0

Having read the character challenge sheets, I knew Diri was going to be a bundle of fun. You played the role really well. Congrats and I hope you had as much fun as it seemed like you did.

=w=

Diri Dauntless (Anonymous)Thu 16-Oct-14 12:00 PM
Charter member
#122218, "RE: Dug me some Diri!"
In response to Reply #15

Yup! It was a ton of fun. Not surprisingly my other favorite character was also a Herald, and must shorter lived.. I'm glad I did better this time around.

Thanks for the (stealth) tattoo, and for all the good times. Easily the best IMM to interact with in CF.

DallevianWed 15-Oct-14 06:41 PM
1639 posts
#122202, "10 out of 10 stars."
In response to Reply #0

super fun. i didn't play any of the quest chars, and i still thought you were awesome. loved every interaction over a bunch of chars, loved how you brought exploring back to CF for a while, loved that you were a doer and always out for fun.

well done!

Diri Dauntless (Anonymous)Wed 15-Oct-14 07:00 PM
Charter member
#122204, "Whoohooooo! :)"
In response to Reply #9

Thanks!

LhydiaWed 15-Oct-14 05:43 PM
2390 posts
#122201, "Hated pretty much everything about this character, but ..."
In response to Reply #0

gr

Diri Dauntless (Anonymous)Wed 15-Oct-14 07:00 PM
Charter member
#122203, "Yup. No botting. I literally talked to everyone. "
In response to Reply #8

And if they responded, drinks at the bar.

MurphyThu 30-Oct-14 03:07 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#122314, "Ha. Never been so glad that I could hide."
In response to Reply #10

Domingo would certainly like to have you gagged and hidden away for as long as possible, just so he could be free from your hubris.

Too bad there was a snowball's chance in Hell of that happening.
Nothing personal

WarrenFri 31-Oct-14 08:17 AM
396 posts
#122318, "I don't get it."
In response to Reply #27

I assumed eventually you would.

I don't get the snowball chance in hell .. huh?

RogueWed 15-Oct-14 02:53 PM
Member since 24th Sep 2003
718 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#122198, "I had a lot of mixed feelings about you through several..."
In response to Reply #0

As Olaf we started out strong, but Olaf was align Good, not neutral. They way you would so carelessly blow of leading people to their death while got off unscathed started to really bother Olaf, to the point that he saw you as selfish in a way that he didn't want to be associated with you anymore. IC you're idea to fixing this problem was to shower me with high level items which from me sac'ing in front of you I think you got the idea that there was no coming back.

Then, we crossed paths with two different paladins of mine I believe. Gvorn and Xazlu I think? On both of these characters your general disregard for the well-being of your groupmates when exploring an what not just really made me not want to interact with you.

Sure, we could organize a few nice runs together here and there but as a Good aligned character, over at least three that are deleted now, it made it really hard for me as a good-aligned to be ok travelling with you.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the character, the panache, enthusiasm and all that, but unless I was playing a neutral or evil, I just couldn't get past how much you didn't care.

From a player standpoint, you did pretty well for having such a support built combo and it's a shame that we couldn't mesh roles together enough to have made more out of it. Nice run.

Diri Dauntless (Anonymous)Wed 15-Oct-14 05:18 PM
Charter member
#122199, "You are dead on!"
In response to Reply #5

I anticipated that this would happen, generally.

Amaranthe built in some 'fail safe' characters that would perhaps help mitigate Diri's reckless behavior, e.g., Pendleton. However, it seems that for the most part, things didn't play out like she had hoped with regards to that.

If you were to picture Diri, it would be kind of like Leeroy Jenkins.. but with Leeroy escaping by the skin of his teeth. Matter of fact, these types of situations are what Diri would consider, "fun."

For instance, why on earth would I revert, and tickle Tiamat, and try to engage in conversation with her. How is that a good idea mechanically, or even for the raid group.. It's not. But it was the role.

Or, my favorite, tell villagers where I was and invite them for drinks (even outside the Inn) - Not smart - but Diri was fearless and/or completely ignorant to the danger... which is part of what made her a lot of fun to RP.

Thanks for your post, and I hope I didn't 'ruin' your other characters like I (presumptively) did Olaf. Generally speaking, Diri thought Olaf was "soooooooooo boring." But obviously, you created a lot of 'fun' conflict early on - I wish you stuck it out.

Ainaele (Anonymous)Wed 15-Oct-14 10:19 AM
Charter member
#122195, "I had no idea you were so close to con death."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Wed 15-Oct-14 10:20 AM

I never saw you die, just everyone around you! There could be no other end to Diri. I loved this character, I wish our play times matched up more. And that we had been able to scheme more often. Great job, Diri, I'll miss you.

P.S. - I really thought you and Olaf were going to be best buds, but the opposite happened. That one threw me for a loop.

Diri Dauntless (Anonymous)Wed 15-Oct-14 10:25 AM
Charter member
#122196, "Oops!"
In response to Reply #3

Well. When I would login.. and nothing was going on in between Yzekon runs and Dragon runs, and then Hell runs... I'd spend a lot of time in Silent Tower.

I'd say ST ate half my con with this character, which was fine.. The whole point of this character was to never stop moving, always be on the go - guess I'll find out in PBF.

We had a lot of fun in plane of shadow, and yeah, I wish our playtimes did mesh up a little more. I think we were the last two!

Good luck with the Managerie storyline. I hope you can pull it off!

Padfeinwen (Anonymous)Wed 15-Oct-14 09:44 AM
Charter member
#122193, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply #0

This sucks. Best Death-Defying Daredevil, Lucky Reckless Stuntgnome that I've ever seen.

Wish you weren't so reckless though!

Diri Dauntless (Anonymous)Wed 15-Oct-14 10:11 AM
Charter member
#122194, "Hence the "Challenge" part of the "Character Challenge""
In response to Reply #1

Sure, I could have easily NOT been so reckless... but that was kinda the point of the RP!

I was REALLY surprised about the fear thing. Totally should be immune to that.

We had great fun! We pal'ed around for 200+ hours at least! And it was certainly a great time.

Good luck and all that! Sorry we couldn't go further. Con death came too soon for Diri.

regrag (Anonymous)Wed 15-Oct-14 05:27 PM
Charter member
#122200, "RE: Hence the "
In response to Reply #2

I got the jist that you cared little for anyone after you had the healer with you at tiamant and it was obvious the only reason it was there was to keep you alive and not the half a dozen other people that were there. Hence the reason I stopped traveling with you. Great character I suppose for getting everyone else killed to your ends.

Diri Dauntless (Anonymous)Wed 15-Oct-14 07:01 PM
Charter member
#122205, "Yup!"
In response to Reply #7

Yes. Reckless. Little concern for other people. Just out for adventure and fun.. regardless of consequences.

Cionadh (Anonymous)Thu 16-Oct-14 12:00 AM
Charter member
#122208, "Reckless with other peoples lives?"
In response to Reply #7

Hmm. Guess this came out more after I wasnt around? Sure we had some deaths, but that is to be expected when exploring. I didnt see direct intent to kill other people but a person not afraid to take risks.

Had a great time traveling with Diri as Cionadh, learned a lot, I still want to know about that robe, only you and Twist seem to know about it!

Thanks for everything. GLWYN.

Diri Dauntless (Anonymous)Thu 16-Oct-14 10:29 AM
Charter member
#122212, "Maybe I *AM* twist. And, not really."
In response to Reply #13

Right, the exploring thing. You ever hear Diri say NO?

You want to go kill the red dragon with 2 people. YUP! LETS GO!
You want to go try Yezkon with one paladin and a thief. YUP! LETS GO!
Hey, this level 20 character wants to tag along in Trothon. SURE!

So, this can be seen as a total disregard for anyone else's well being. That, and the fact that as soon as DIRI was ready, everyone was ready. So I would move, as soon as I was ready - which is reckless and puts everyone else in danger.

You have 20% mana? But, lets go, i'm bored. A player basically had to hold Diri down to stop her from going on. In fact, healers would put me in healing sleep for no other reason than to just stop me from starting fights.

It's not like I was purposely trying to kill folks - they just died.

So - to answer your question - I guess, it didn't "come out" anymore than it did when I was with you - you just had a higher tolerance and/or were more prepared as a player.

As for the Robe - What robe.

Shazidra (Anonymous)Tue 28-Oct-14 09:12 PM
Charter member
#122307, "Sad to see you go"
In response to Reply #14

I was definitely one of those who learned early to take a firm stand with Diri in keeping her under control. I actually wrote it into my role how Shazidra viewed her, and had decided to keep her under controlm, when around her. Shaz really liked Diri, but very much disliked her thoughtless disregard for the well-being of others, though also recognized it was never done with any malice, simply zero forethought.

I feel like Diri was the medieval epitome of ADHD. Can't ever sit still for a moment and acts out on the first thought to pop into mind next, before pausing to consider the implications of following through on that thought (I speak as one who HAS ADHD but has learned to control it; and I speak as a tutor who has taught most of my students to control theirs).

That being said, I'm really sad to see you go. It was always great having you around, as I always knew there was a great tank available anytime I wanted to go someplace dangerous. Even after having been on this game for 16 years, I was surprised to learn few things about some areas as a result of exploring with you.

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted. Guess we'll see what the fields have in store for you next.

p.s. I'm curious to know what previous characters you've played (if you're willing to spill the beans), now that this one's gone.

TwistWed 29-Oct-14 08:55 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#122310, "What robe?"
In response to Reply #13

>Had a great time traveling with Diri as Cionadh, learned a
>lot, I still want to know about that robe, only you and Twist
>seem to know about it!

I really don't know what robe you're referring to...?

WarrenWed 29-Oct-14 11:50 AM
396 posts
#122311, "Is the one off that thing in that area we can't say, wh..."
In response to Reply #24

Cionadh (Anonymous)Wed 03-Dec-14 02:19 PM
Charter member
#122550, "RE: What robe?"
In response to Reply #24
Edited on Wed 03-Dec-14 02:20 PM

Sorry to necro this, I just saw Twist's reply.

You had placed the robe in question in the chests when you deleted Resdrenn, I found it there and had it throughout Cionadh's life. it is not limited and like a level 35 item so nice as a regear piece but nothing exceptional. I hadn't/haven't seen any other active characters with it, and only find it very rarely in logs or other players equipment. So it stood out to me when Diri had it, I asked where it was from and she stonewalled me on it. Considering we were IC friends and had adventured extensively in area explore places together, it surprised me at the time for her not to talk about it as she was open about other items and knowledge. Just a bit of an inside joke to post it here in that way. I had figured it was from some quest that I didnt know about and could be acquired in the future but given Warren's response that seems unlikely as I've yet to get to the place it comes from!

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #122192 Previous topic | Next topic