Subject: "(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Faenral Daerisse the Guiding Light..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #119006
Show all folders

Death_AngelSun 19-Jan-14 01:28 PM
Member since 27th Sep 2024
17187 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#119006, "(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Faenral Daerisse the Guiding Light of Spirits, Acolyte of the Golden Sun"

Sun Jan 19 12:20:19 2014

At 9 o'clock AM, Day of Thunder, 31st of the Month of the Winter Wolf
on the Theran calendar Faenral perished, never to return.

Race:half-elf
Class:healer
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:426

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Immortal Thanks/Goodbyes, bugboy, 20-Jan-14 10:38 AM, #17
Reply Death Of The LightSeeker (Goodbyes), bugboy, 19-Jan-14 02:12 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Death Of The LightSeeker (Goodbyes), Elerosse, 19-Jan-14 04:38 PM, #2
     Reply Gah. There goes my sense of accomplishment! J/K, bugboy, 19-Jan-14 06:21 PM, #5
     Reply RE: Death Of The LightSeeker (Goodbyes), Amatrysti (Anonymous), 19-Jan-14 05:22 PM, #3
     Reply I think I'm gonna try Team Evil for once., bugboy, 19-Jan-14 06:23 PM, #4
     Reply RE: Death Of The LightSeeker (Goodbyes), Andira (Anonymous), 19-Jan-14 08:11 PM, #6
     Reply You were pretty awesome., bugboy, 19-Jan-14 08:29 PM, #7
     Reply What can I say.., Voszoad (Anonymous), 19-Jan-14 08:35 PM, #8
     Reply I absolutely despised Voszoad IC., bugboy, 19-Jan-14 09:16 PM, #11
     Reply Great char, Belendithas (Anonymous), 19-Jan-14 08:53 PM, #9
     Reply Tribunal wasn't planned. At all., bugboy, 19-Jan-14 09:20 PM, #12
     Reply I am glad to see you stuck with it this long, Deaerax (Anonymous), 19-Jan-14 09:00 PM, #10
     Reply RE: I am glad to see you stuck with it this long, bugboy, 19-Jan-14 09:28 PM, #13
     Reply Well played, GLWYN, Evelinn (Anonymous), 19-Jan-14 09:44 PM, #14
          Reply RE: Well played, GLWYN, bugboy, 19-Jan-14 10:02 PM, #15
               Reply RE: Well played, GLWYN, Arthen (Anonymous), 19-Jan-14 11:02 PM, #16

bugboyMon 20-Jan-14 10:31 AM
Member since 23rd Mar 2007
95 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#119054, "Immortal Thanks/Goodbyes"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 20-Jan-14 10:38 AM

Alright, so here's the skinny. I've -never- gotten to interact with so many immortals in my CF career. I've probably gotten more interaction numbers-wise just in the four months I had Faenral, than I had in the last six years of CF.

My last attempt at an empowerment class was me making a horribly failed attempt at rolling an Iunna Herald Paladin. Baaaaad idea. But, on to the point of this post. The Imm Goodbyes.

Corrlaan: My interactions with you were -severely limited,- likely because my sleep schedule and your CF schedule often overlap. By a lot. My work schedule probably made things a little worse as well, since I wouldn't be able to catch you in your rare 'Prime Time' logins. It got frustrating at times, but RL comes first and I understood that. I did my best to RP Faenral's frustration with never seeing you without seeming bitter about it.

Rayihn (And Baerinika, I suppose. I only got one interaction from each.) That meeting in the Bathhouse with Deaer and Valanthiriel was hilarious. I've interacted with you before on at least a couple of other characters, but it's been a while. I hope my reactions were funny at the very least. Meeting you as Baerinika on the other hand was a truly terrifying experience for Faenral. I knew from previous experience that you didn't really dig the whole redemption path. Faenral was just hoping and praying you weren't going to impale him over past transgressions. I hope that fear came through. Thank you for helping along my transition from Evil to Neutral, and thanks to Daevryn as well.

Whiysdan: You funny little Svirf. Herald is better with you in charge and Arvam back. I still laugh about the times I'd yelled for you about the Cognac and you were all ears (and teeth. and belly.) Keep making the Inn a fun place.

Lyristeon: The only time I saw you was during the Night of 100 players. Now... I've done some pretty silly stuff with felar regarding stinky cat farts... But you clearing the Inn with that toxic cloud was -MILES- ahead of anything I'd ever done. Well played, and I tip my hat to you sir.

Neltouda: I don't think I'm ever going to forget that first interaction we had back in the Past while I was with Lero and Graile hunting trolls. Of the Imms I'm indebted to for amazing interaction, you easily take first place. I'll just make a note of never telling you, "I'm enjoying the Hard-Mode" again. 'Cuz that was kinda painful.

Arvam: Dude, the last time I even SAW you, was back when I had Meora, and my favorite memories were playing Heroes with you. THANK YOU, for letting me relive the greatest moments of a previous character during the Night of 100 Players. You're still an awesome Imm, and I can't say how glad I am that you're back. Thank you for pulling the strings that kept me going for 425 hours.

Destuvius: I read through the Imm comments and saw you were the one that LastNamed me. Thank you for that. I've been pretty curious about you since you surfaced, so I look forward to seeing what you're bringing to the CF table as an Imm.

And lastly, I want to thank the entire staff of Carrion Fields. You guys put an amazing amount of work into the game over the years and things are definitely on a less passive pace compared to a few years ago. I love seeing all the Imm questy stuff that comes up with various players and I think it's a great way to prolong player interest, and give new players something to look forward to.

I was a little surprised that I didn't have more comments, or if I did, they aren't on the PBF, so I don't know if I'm thanking everyone.

Edited to add: Oh yeah... And I really hope another character challenge comes up at some point. I've love to have the opportunity to participate in something like that.

bugboySun 19-Jan-14 02:12 PM
95 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#119008, "Death Of The LightSeeker (Goodbyes)"
In response to Reply #0

Alright, so I really -didn't- want to do this. Mostly because I was hoping I'd finally have a character last up to an age-death. Unfortunately, I've just lost the heart to keep going with such a crippled character. It sorta stopped being fun about two hundred hours ago. If PayPal would stop being idiots, I'd buy my PBF and throw in some extra so CF can keep being a great game for years to come.

When I rolled Faenral, I'd just come back from a two-year hiatus from Carrion Fields. I felt the longing to dive right into a world of text but I didn't know what I'd be starting up in. I thought to myself, “It'd be kinda cool to try a Necromancer.” So it was supposed to be a dive character used to gauge the game's situation. And -boy- have things changed. Not all good, not all bad.

I will say this. The Night Of 100 Players was awesome. I wish that kind of stuff happened more often. I've also noticed a lot more people with titles and custom shorts. It's refreshing to see the Imm Staff taking a more active interest in the folks that follow them, punishment or reward.

Faenral wasn't a complete disappointment for me though. The only two things that didn't happen that were on my to-do list were hitting an age-death, and getting a tattoo. Unfortunately, I don't really see my empowering Imm (Neltouda) anymore but I know she's got her reasons. The two biggest things I personally think I managed to accomplish was A: sticking out a redemption all the way to full-on Good, and B: rolling one class and going to another. I was so stoked when I'd heard while I was interacting with others that it'd never been done before. Part of me -really- hopes it's true so I can say I made my own little mark on CF history.

To the people I let down, I can't apologize enough. I've done/said some things I'm really not all that proud of myself for, and I'm sure the Staff was disappointed to say the least. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be playing another empowerment class again for a while. I'll just float my way back under the radar where I belong.

My list of personal accomplishments:
Rolled a Necromancer (Only used the spells up to level 9 though. Last used “spell” was Invisibility.
Played an empowerment class for more than 10 levels (Healer from lv's 34 or 35 to 51)
Hero'd said empowerment class
Get a custom short-desc (The last time I saw one was when I first started back in summer of 2000 and it was awesome to the 12 year old me.)
Go Neutral on a Redemption (Between my 80 and 110 hour mark)
Go Full Good on said Redemption (Wanna say somewhere around 310-340 hours I think.)
Have a character outlive my 'flasgship' (longest lived character to date) character Meora (389 hours)
Get Acolyte in less than 50 hours (Aco'd on induction. Kinda wish you hadn't done that Corrlaan. You made me run out of goals. GRRR!)
Wait until Midlevel until joining a Cabal (Tribunal in late twenties/early thirties)
Have one character in multiple Cabals (Tribunal first, Fortress later.)

Right about my 400 hour mark, I started tossing around the idea of Imming with Faenral. I thought about it, and thought about it because it's something I'd only tried once before. I didn't hit Hero until I passed 325 hours. I started looking through Unofficials graveyard searching for Half-elf Age Deaths to figure out how long I had left. What I saw didn't give me a lot of hope, so I figured I'd wait out my age death. Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way I can justify waiting for an age death when I'm not having fun just so I can say “I did it.”

For those of you wondering why it stopped being fun for me and why I'm calling Faenral a “crippled character,” it's because I went from Necromancer to Healer. I didn't just switch classes and get everything the class has right off the bat. I had a few things switch over from the class change to Healer (Curse, Word of Recall, Detect Invis, etc.) but I couldn't just go practice them because that would have been going the easy way and taking something I didn't earn. I saved every practice I got between lv9 and 51 and I probably blew through enough Con since I rolled back in September to have con-died and then some if not for Gain-Convert. I topped out at 108 practices and used every train I got on Con. (And just for the record, I strongly advise against telling your empowering Imm that you enjoy Hard-Mode. As it is, unless you have the patience of a saint and have no problem at all with dying easily and a lot, I won't OOCly suggest anyone else do this. I might be proud of myself for going through with it and finishing what I started, but holy hell, I'm never doing it again.)

Other than inviting a nightmare on myself, I have absolutely no bad things to say about the game, the players, or the Staff. Carrion Fields is still an inviting, captivating, and deceptive bloodbath. Yuolud and Deaer, I really hope you guys make it past Avatar. I wanna see what you two bring to the game, and I really wish I could have seen you Ascend.

The sheer number of people I've interacted with is staggering. There's a few that are still around, and a lot more that deleted a long time ago. Leave a message and I'll reply when I can. I'm expecting my work schedule to get weird any time since it's a new year and I'm in manufacturing.

ElerosseSun 19-Jan-14 04:38 PM
Member since 01st Nov 2006
423 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#119012, "RE: Death Of The LightSeeker (Goodbyes)"
In response to Reply #1

> B:
>rolling one class and going to another. I was so stoked when
>I'd heard while I was interacting with others that it'd never
>been done before. Part of me -really- hopes it's true so I can
>say I made my own little mark on CF history.
>

There have been a couple characters to switch classes, Avendella was an elf healer that did the reverse of what you did, went healer to necromancer around 2000 or so.

bugboySun 19-Jan-14 06:21 PM
95 posts
#119018, "Gah. There goes my sense of accomplishment! J/K"
In response to Reply #2

It was definitely an experience. But again, not something I'll be repeating any time soon. If ever.

Amatrysti (Anonymous)Sun 19-Jan-14 05:22 PM
Charter member
#119014, "RE: Death Of The LightSeeker (Goodbyes)"
In response to Reply #1

I really pulled for you to get all supps so that I could IC show you the ropes as a full healer. That would've been fun. IC, your presence for the Fort was invaluable. I commend your patience. In tough situations and combat scenarios, crippled as you were, next to useless. Try healer again and you will feel the addiction.

In the quiet times, I really enjoyed speaking with you to pass time until some action stirred. I will miss that .

bugboySun 19-Jan-14 06:19 PM
95 posts
#119017, "I think I'm gonna try Team Evil for once."
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Sun 19-Jan-14 06:23 PM

It's something I haven't done yet in 13 years, and I figure I might as well give it a go this time around.

Faenral was really handy for gauging everything and getting a feel for the players we have now. When I was actually RPing, doing my bit, etc, I was having a blast. It sucked not being able to really go anywhere on my own though, so I had a lot of "idle time." I used it to write. A lot. I have a word document that's 40 pages long with every description change I did, notes, and roles.

I've wanted to try Healers for a while, but I always had a hard time grasping the religions. Something I'll have to work on, I guess.

Edited to add:
Oh yeah. And I seriously thought I was gonna get yelled at over the Tribunal thing. I had my argument ready and everything, I just wasn't gonna provoke one.

Andira (Anonymous)Sun 19-Jan-14 08:11 PM
Charter member
#119021, "RE: Death Of The LightSeeker (Goodbyes)"
In response to Reply #1

Enjoyed our interactions. Andira being one of Amaranthe's and particularly one of the Crone's always tread very carefully around you and, as you know, it took a very long time to earn her trust. I was deeply impressed by how well you took a very challenging character path though. Well done.

bugboySun 19-Jan-14 08:29 PM
95 posts
#119025, "You were pretty awesome."
In response to Reply #6

I always looked forward to hearing your next story and I took a lot from them to apply to how Faenral handled certain situations. He didn't always take everything with a smile on his face though.

I've probably said it many times already but I originally had no intention of rolling up with redemption in mind. I was honestly figuring on going necro with certain rules and trying to get the Anti-Hero edge.

I wasn't expecting to get such amazing RP out of everyone I interacted with, and honestly, had I met Mirozah a lot earlier, I'd have gone full on Team Evil in the first place. As time went on though, Faenral started getting old and bitter. He tried not to show it to too many people and made jokes about it, but the bitterness was there.

Voszoad (Anonymous)Sun 19-Jan-14 08:35 PM
Charter member
#119026, "What can I say.."
In response to Reply #1

I was probably a pain in your behind at first. Then you made it worse joining the Spire. And after you left them I sorta laid off on you unless you were healing marans I was hunting. You had one awesome and uphill journey and accomplished something many wouldn't have the patience for.. Kudos and great job..

Croooooaaak!

bugboySun 19-Jan-14 09:16 PM
95 posts
#119030, "I absolutely despised Voszoad IC."
In response to Reply #8

Every time you popped into the Fortress, I was fully expecting you to grab either an orc or a warrior to bash me to death when you summoned me. I'm -really- surprised you never used rot on me. Wither sucked bad enough.

Fighting Venom shamans is about as far off my recommended list of "things to do." Dem poisons, man. All dem poisons.

Belendithas (Anonymous)Sun 19-Jan-14 08:53 PM
Charter member
#119027, "Great char"
In response to Reply #1

Didnt interact with you nearly as much as I would have liked to but enjoyed every moment of it. After our talk at the Inn even before you joined Tribunal, I felt you would be a great Acolyte. Actually, in that talk you felt more like an Acolyte than Belendithas.
Then you joined Tribunal. That surprised me a lot. For a while I thought that was going to be it, until you turned full good and started to back us at the Fort up more. Belendithas was happy to see you leave Tribunal and come to us. Also wasnt really surprised about the fast Acolyte, as I said, you felt like one long before you even turned good.

The only time I remember where you not having all your sups being an issue would be our journey to Trothon. I honestly didnt even think about you perhaps not having fly. It was quite amusing.

Good luck with whatever comes next.

bugboySun 19-Jan-14 09:20 PM
95 posts
#119031, "Tribunal wasn't planned. At all."
In response to Reply #9

And it was probably one of the hardest decisions Faenral made. For a really long time, he felt like he'd let everyone down at the Fortress by joining the Spire. It really did help me come into the character a bit better though. He bought into Ildilintra's spiel about the Spire being the protectors of Thera, rather than the Fortress and being who he is, Faenral has a hard time turning down offers made by his friends.

Even after Faenral left, he maintained strong connections with the Spire because he believed in the work they did. He just wished the Fortress and the Spire were more interconnected. A lot of his personal beliefs and ideals followed him into the Spire, and he honestly felt the tainted or the arrogant were unfit for duty as a Magistrate.

Magistrates were to be people Therans could trust and support, rather than hate and fear.

Deaerax (Anonymous)Sun 19-Jan-14 09:00 PM
Charter member
#119028, "I am glad to see you stuck with it this long"
In response to Reply #1

You really did well. I hope you have fun with your next.

bugboySun 19-Jan-14 09:28 PM
95 posts
#119032, "RE: I am glad to see you stuck with it this long"
In response to Reply #10

Even -I'm- surprised I made it through the whole thing. I have no words for how disappointed I was that I kept missing all the really important stuff with Deaer because of work. (Dem Responsibilities)

Every time Faenral missed something, it started eating more and more at him. Partly because he really did love Deaer, but also because he felt he kept letting her down every time he missed something. Towards the end, you were about the only thing keeping me going.

When Faenral heard about Deaer's possession, I felt pretty revitalized because I'd had a new goal. One I figured would at least net me a few dozen more hours and keep my interest in the character. But, true to my work schedule, I missed most everything.

I was at once -really- impressed that you Ascended, and sad, because my favorite character wasn't gonna be popping in to check on me whenever I logged in. I do wish I could have gotten more interaction with Yuolud before his ascension as well, but it just wasn't in the stars.

Good luck in ImmLand Deaer. I really can't wait to see what you bring to Carrion Fields, and part of me hopes you'll pop in on random people to interact with them.

Evelinn (Anonymous)Sun 19-Jan-14 09:44 PM
Charter member
#119034, "Well played, GLWYN"
In response to Reply #1

Sorry to see this I knew it was frustrating for you not have the entire class kit. Glad some of our adventures didnt turn out complete disasters. You were redeemed and transitioned to healer while I was away from CF between characters so I knew something had happened, but until we got to know each other more I wasnt sure of your limitations mechanics wise. So I'm sorry for any deaths that came from my ignorance. Appreciated your advice as well as company IC and wish you GLWYN even if you don't end up redeemed this time around!

bugboySun 19-Jan-14 10:02 PM
95 posts
#119035, "RE: Well played, GLWYN"
In response to Reply #14

Regardless how the adventure turned out, I was always grateful to be asked along for the ride. Unsurprisingly, not many folks want to run around with a healer that can't sanc or a mage that doesn't use magic.

Getting out of the guild/Inn was a fricking Godsend.

I enjoyed the interactions we got, even if they were few and far between most of the time.

Arthen (Anonymous)Sun 19-Jan-14 11:02 PM
Charter member
#119038, "RE: Well played, GLWYN"
In response to Reply #15

Oh dear.....I am sorry I couldn't pop in with arthren more. I just lost the time to log in. I rather enjoyed mine and faenrals Rp though. Glwyn

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #119006 Previous topic | Next topic