Subject: "(DELETED) [HERALD] Nim Kodu the Affirmation of Life, Re..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #116552
Show all folders

Death_AngelWed 21-Aug-13 12:06 PM
Member since 28th Sep 2024
17189 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#116552, "(DELETED) [HERALD] Nim Kodu the Affirmation of Life, Resident Fortune Teller of the Eternal Star"

Wed Aug 21 07:25:50 2013

At 10 o'clock PM, Day of Freedom, 11th of the Month of the Sun
on the Theran calendar Nim perished, never to return.

Race:svirfnebli
Class:healer
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:HERALD, the Heralds of the Eternal Star
Hours:92

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Nim, Valkenar, 21-Aug-13 12:09 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Nim, Saersha (Anonymous), 21-Aug-13 03:12 PM, #2
     Reply Hmm, Valkenar, 21-Aug-13 10:22 PM, #3
          Reply Are you insane?!, Saersha (Anonymous), 21-Aug-13 10:34 PM, #4
               Reply It's not like that though, Valkenar, 22-Aug-13 05:37 AM, #5
                    Reply It's not like that either, Saersha (Anonymous), 22-Aug-13 07:39 AM, #6
     Reply RE: Nim, Corlx (Anonymous), 22-Aug-13 10:13 AM, #7
     Reply RE: Nim, Valkenar, 22-Aug-13 11:53 AM, #8
     Reply Sad we didn't interact more, Agraemas, 23-Aug-13 11:46 PM, #9

ValkenarWed 21-Aug-13 12:09 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#116554, "Nim"
In response to Reply #0

I was excited to be part of the role contest and sad that I wasn't really able to make the best of it, mostly due to play times. It took me a bit to find my feet and I had trouble really feeling like I was hitting all cylinders with the role, but I guess that's where the whole "challenge" part comes in. Most of the fault lies with me, though in the description of the role Amaranthe said she'd be feeding me info for telling fortunes and when that didn't happen I didn't know what to do since I was supposed to have this legit oracular sight but I had nothing to actually go on. I don't blame her though since she was so busy with it and I was barely on. And even when I was on, I didn't really feel the kind of mojo I associate with a successful character.

Nim was mediocre Whiysdan follower and a fairly lackluster Herald, though there was a period where it felt reasonable. That said, I don't see why a neutral Herald shouldn't make a blood wine. The Heralds may lean good, but if you can accomodate Scions, the most evil of evil people, basically, you can make a little blood wine for a hapless orc.

Not a lot of people to say goodbye to. Corlx, I liked our interactions, most of the Heralds felt kind of distant and not so eager to talk or involve others. Maybe there was more going on that I wasn't aware of or maybe I just rubbed you all the wrong way. Corlx said I was not friendly, so there's some evidence for that idea, though it seemed a little weird. The cabal has a long history of attention seeking and glory hounding and I got a sense of some of that, but most of you seem pretty cool.

Anyway, I wish I could've done better, but I didn't, and with my free time situation becoming less amenable to CF, it's time I pack in this guy.

Saersha (Anonymous)Wed 21-Aug-13 03:12 PM
Charter member
#116560, "RE: Nim"
In response to Reply #1

That's kind of funny because Saersha didn't bug Nim, too much, because he felt really distant. I just felt like I was bothering you every time I'd try to strike up a conversation. There was one definite time I was purposefully being distant with you about something you asked, but it was after the whole blood wine thing and I was in the midst of jostling for that information with Sehdara so I kind of suspected you of spying for her. I liked Nim, I thought he was a little defensive, but Saersha is too towards certain people. Just a character trait. I wish the fortunetelling thing had panned out for you, that would have been really awesome and I think would have made Nim seem more mysterious than distant. Looking back, Nim did have that fortunetellers feel to him. I had forgotten that he was a seer.

As far as the blood wine thing, I disagree. It would have made Saersha very upset, and other elves too. As a player, yeah, it's silly but as the character, it'd be stupid not to get upset. So you have this situation where doing this barbaric thing for someone is going to offend an entire race. Accomodating the Scions is different because they're getting the same(ish) treatment as everyone else which is what orcs are getting(even more hazy than Scions here, but orcs are the geico cavemen of Thera). If a Scion was asking for a drink mixed with the tears from orphaned children of fallen Maran warriors, I'd say no.

ValkenarWed 21-Aug-13 10:22 PM
1203 posts
#116563, "Hmm"
In response to Reply #2

>That's kind of funny because Saersha didn't bug Nim, too
>much, because he felt really distant.

Weird. I think a lot of people probably share that impression but I'm not sure why. WHenever I logged on I asked what people were doing because I wanted to go do something interesting, but most people just kept quiet and did their own thing alone unless we were doing something big.

>I had forgotten that he was a seer.

The fact that it's possible to forget Nim was a seer pretty much sums up my struggles with him. I wanted to do more fortune telling but it never made sense without some actual foreknowledge.

>As far as the blood wine thing, I disagree. It would have made
>Saersha very upset, and other elves too. As a player, yeah,
>it's silly but as the character, it'd be stupid not to get
>upset.

I dunno, your analogy seems a little off. It's not like I harvested elf blood for him, I just asked if he had a full skin he would like fermented as a favor. It would be fine for Saersha to be upset due to racial antipathy, but really any good character should be more upset by an anti-paladin, fire giant, drow, duergar, necromancer, scion or imperial being done any favors at all by Heralds. I think as a goodie you should be more upset about doing anything nice for a scion ever than for fermenting some blood as a small favor. That's about as harmless an evil act as you can perform.

Saersha (Anonymous)Wed 21-Aug-13 10:34 PM
Charter member
#116564, "Are you insane?!"
In response to Reply #3

If you sat down next to a Japanese guy in a bar, ordered Japanese blood wine and then pulled out a waterskin full of Japanese people's blood when they said they didn't have any, you don't think that guy would be horrified? If that Japanese guy didn't like Scottish people, you think he would be more upset if you did a Scottish guy a different favor than if you served Japanese blood?

ValkenarThu 22-Aug-13 05:35 AM
1203 posts
#116572, "It's not like that though"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Thu 22-Aug-13 05:37 AM

>If you sat down next to a Japanese guy in a bar, ordered
>Japanese blood wine and then pulled out a waterskin full of
>Japanese people's blood when they said they didn't have any,
>you don't think that guy would be horrified? If that Japanese
>guy didn't like Scottish people, you think he would be more
>upset if you did a Scottish guy a different favor than if you
>served Japanese blood?

You already know that some of the chefs in this restaurant have almost certainly killed at least a few Scottsmen, a few Japanese, maybe some orphans, and a priest or two, and plan to do so again in the future. If you're okay going to that restaurant given that fact, I don't see why you'd freak out about one of the chefs helping to ferment a little bit of blood on his own time. Fermenting that blood is one of the less evil things the chef does.

It's more like you've got the guy who brought in some Japanese-blood wine that one of the chefs helped him make outside the restaurant at one table, and at another table you've got Hitler + Stalin + Pol Pot all combined into one incomprehensibly evil person. Both are offensive, but I would be way more angry at a restaurant that gave Hitlalinpot a spot to plot and scheme to destroy the whole world and create a permanent state of misery for everyone in it (and this is a realistic possibility), especially given that I know that the waiters are out occasionally killing Japanese people along with Scottsmen and other fine peoples of the world as it is.

Obviously in reality both would be absolute reasons to boycott a restaurant, but in CF morality is more lax.

Saersha (Anonymous)Thu 22-Aug-13 07:39 AM
Charter member
#116574, "It's not like that either"
In response to Reply #5

>You already know that some of the chefs in this restaurant
>have almost certainly killed at least a few Scottsmen, a few
>Japanese, maybe some orphans, and a priest or two, and plan to
>do so again in the future. If you're okay going to that
>restaurant given that fact, I don't see why you'd freak out
>about one of the chefs helping to ferment a little bit of
>blood on his own time. Fermenting that blood is one of the
>less evil things the chef does.
>
>It's more like you've got the guy who brought in some
>Japanese-blood wine that one of the chefs helped him make
>outside the restaurant at one table, and at another table
>you've got Hitler + Stalin + Pol Pot all combined into one
>incomprehensibly evil person. Both are offensive, but I would
>be way more angry at a restaurant that gave Hitlalinpot a spot
>to plot and scheme to destroy the whole world and create a
>permanent state of misery for everyone in it (and this is a
>realistic possibility), especially given that I know that the
>waiters are out occasionally killing Japanese people along
>with Scottsmen and other fine peoples of the world as it is.
>
>Obviously in reality both would be absolute reasons to boycott
>a restaurant, but in CF morality is more lax.

Because the guy who brings the blood in is Jeffrey Dahmer/Charles Manson/Jack the Ripper. Giving HitStalPot a table, thus treating him like everyone else, would disgust people. So would giving DahManJack a table, but serving him blood on top of that would make people puke their guts up. That's not only treating him like everyone else, it's applauding him for what he does.

Of course you're right and morality is more lax in CF, but on one hand you're treating the Scion the same as everyone else, on the other hand you're doing something barbaric for the orc. Let's not pretend the Scions need to, or actually do, plot their schemes at the inn. In this scenario, they're getting a seat, nothing more. The orc gets a seat too, serving blood is extra and would be completely despicable to any elf. The Eternal Star is a nice place, the mobs are kind of gruff and not fancy pants, but they're not barbarians and neither are the Heralds. Serving the blood of a sentient creature is not something any civilized place would do.

Corlx (Anonymous)Thu 22-Aug-13 10:13 AM
Charter member
#116581, "RE: Nim"
In response to Reply #1

Nim was such an enigma to Corlx. I genuinely liked you, but sometimes you could be downright creepy . Even aside from the wine isssue, you had a way of rubbing folks the wrong way. I only got to see the oracular side of you once or twice, but it seemed solid, sorry you didn't feel like you could keep it up on your own, prophecies can always be vague and left open to interpretation. As far as the blood wine goes, I understand where your coming from, but it really is about not alienating the customers. Besides which, Neltouda was very clear that we weren't allowed to do that kind of thing. So the whole long drawn out argument over it is silly. It was against the direct wishes of an Immortal, so Corlx wasn't going to do it. Hail hurts!

ValkenarThu 22-Aug-13 11:53 AM
1203 posts
#116585, "RE: Nim"
In response to Reply #7

>Nim was such an enigma to Corlx. I genuinely liked you, but
>sometimes you could be downright creepy .

Creepy? Like OOC creepy or IC creepy? I tried to be actually Neutral and not just a Good character who ranked on storm giants a little bit. I generally felt like neutral Heralds leaned a little too good sometimes, and my attempt to actually RP a svirfneblin included a comfort with the grisly, dark side of things.

>It was against the direct
>wishes of an Immortal, so Corlx wasn't going to do it.

I never expected otherwise and think Corlx responded quite appropriately. I didn't get why Neltouda was opposed, but most of you seem to agree with the perspective, so whatever.

AgraemasFri 23-Aug-13 11:43 PM
Member since 13th Dec 2003
87 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#116607, "Sad we didn't interact more"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Fri 23-Aug-13 11:46 PM

I was hoping we could build up some interesting RP between the two of us. I enjoyed our early days and if my schedule allowed I would have loved to spend more time doing questy stuff in game.

I can't say who I was playing (and I can't seem to get anonymous posting to work), but I was definitely excited to see if your skill as a fortune teller would turn out to be more real than just a title.

Hope to see you in the fields again soon.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #116552 Previous topic | Next topic