Subject: "(AUTO) [None] Eloril the Battle-Scarred, Village Applic..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #114705
Show all folders

Death_AngelThu 16-May-13 04:08 PM
Member since 28th Sep 2024
17190 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114705, "(AUTO) [None] Eloril the Battle-Scarred, Village Applicant"

Thu May 16 14:06:56 2013

At 12 o'clock AM, Day of the Bull, 1st of the Month of the Dark Shades
on the Theran calendar Eloril perished, never to return.

Race:elf
Class:warrior
Level:37
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:None, None
Hours:157

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Eloril (Anonymous)Sat 18-May-13 11:43 AM
Charter member
#114724, "This situation was beyond painful."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sat 18-May-13 12:04 PM

Having done decent str warrior, I wanted to try dex warrior. I figured I'd enjoy the challenge of battle applicant, and then I could throw away my con balls to the wall and figure out the situation for dex warrior.

Instead, because of drinking a potion pre-11 that caused poison and disease, in order to prove that the character was not afraid of what magic might do to him, I found out this char was locked out of the cabal, AFTER struggling and losing fight after fight for a hundredish hours. Seriously, maybe someone could have told me after my third mage kill as applicant and my 10th recommendation?

Eloril challenged every mage he saw to a duel and fought every mage he could find, as a 300 hp applicant, so was basically a con burner/punching bag. Eloril was sphere Purity, so didn't kill anyone, even if they were at 1% health, if it was dishonorable, stayed away from magic, and in all ways tried to be the ideal battlerager. He basically challenged mages to duels and lost quite a bit. His reward was to see guys like this

http://www.qhcf.net/phorum/read.php?3,979268,979268#msg-979268

(no offense to you, and also thanks for the recommendation) have a
grand old time and be lauded while he was locked out of the cabal.
Eloril had a recommendation from every active battlerager and frankly, could have gotten a rec from most of his enemies.

While I think Ysalaerye and Thror add an enormous amount to the game, and are among my three favorite imms, I don't quite approve of how this char was treated. Arratok's player is among my favorite cabal leaders and battle players, also. However, while I will not break down into incoherent flaming like this guy, I seriously feel the temptation, and I think that shows that something is amiss:
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=4&topic_id=113397&mesg_id=113397&listing_type=search

Thror -- just wasn't there, after praying for 2 weeks during your office hours on wizlist.

Ysal -- You gave me a chance with your deal. Thank you, and you gave me the opportunity to make it into a cool quest. But I feel like this character was snap judged without a chance to explain things. You thought I was there to be a Seeker (which I wanted to be, eventually), despite 3 notes, regular respectful praying, and 2 role entries about Eloril's situation. You then immediately said I must have used a detect invisible prep for my first mage kill (which is not true, and the irony it that the kill was actually documented with witnesses in a note send to Battle), and decided that Eloril had to pay the price. The character became an applicant at 17th level and had fought and lost a number of duels before before level 25/true sight, so taking true sight away was a bit harsh. Eloril himself, of course, accepted the bargain because he was trying to be the ideal battlerager and the Tablet requires obedience to the gods and the Commander. He just saw it as another challenge to demonstrate his Purity, but me the player was seriously unhappy.

Battleragers:
All of you were great, and fairly helpful, and I think everyone around while I was active ended up writing a recommendation for me -- thanks. Arratok, thanks for the symbolic induct, although I think you are a bit harsh on applicants. I tried not to delete, but eventually rolled another character and lost interest...I still kept playing Eloril regularly, but then had a major decrease in playing time and thus auto. It was becoming clear to me, however, that with my poor skills with dex warrior I had very little chance of fulfilling my quest in any reasonable timeframe.
Special shout-out to Zadeel.

Frenemies:
Thanks for the support and cool conversations. You kept me playing. I was trying to go Acolyte on your collective asses -- I had a crazy idea that maybe I could convince a few people to "repent" before deletion and get a few mage "kills" that way.

Major shout-outs to Scion and Trib dark-elf transmuters, Scarab wights (Zmias, you didn't know this but I didn't have truesight, so I couldn't have given away your position during our philosophical chat -- I had no idea where you were and couldn't see you, and moreover was trying to convert you, so getting you killed would be counterproductive. I just kept acting like I had truesight as a bluff so vultures didn't circle).

Noviask, you were seriously cowardly -- you don't need Gedunthos as backup to kill a solo elf applicant (although it's true you didn't succeed, either).

Friends:
Thanks for the help, esp the occassional kind word or scouting from Fort. I could have used a few level invites

To everyone who asked, every time I logged in - I guess the reason I wasn't getting inducted is somewhat clear now

xrusSun 19-May-13 12:21 PM
Member since 13th May 2011
318 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114751, "I liked Eloril both as enemy and friend."
In response to Reply #1

I killed you a lot with my serial shifters. (One of them killed you twice, others just once, And you challenged them all). It was obvious that there is a problem there for you, so I mostly tried to avoid killing you with the shifters. But I always thought that it's what you have put in your role, and never figured that it's not totally willingly.

GLWYC.

YsaloeryeMon 20-May-13 10:02 AM
Member since 09th Apr 2006
315 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114828, "Darkest afore Dawn"
In response to Reply #1

Yeah you are probably not going to like this, but I had been keeping tabs on you and around the 17th of April had a Dream lined up along with standing orders that whoever saw you next was to send you it and induct you, simply because you had kept trucking, despite not having been able to fulfill the pact we made. Well you know the rest, you seemed to have given up on Eloril and moved on to your other morts.

Eloril wasn't a bad char at all, I wouldn't have spent the time giving you a shot if I had thought otherwise. I didn't just make a summary judgment about the detect invis prep I was more informing as to the cloud of suspicion that was there, and the reason that auto-block induction was something I asked for, because there were so many gaming their way into Battle by using detect preps (I will mention that the code is pretty specific) . Previously when I caught someone who had got in I would boot them and they would get the chance to prove themselves.

So hopefully it wasn't a total waste for you, every element of pain in this game is a chance to learn.

Arratok (Anonymous)Wed 22-May-13 09:23 AM
Charter member
#114916, "RE: This situation was beyond painful."
In response to Reply #1

I am sorry I couldn't have done more. I honestly wanted you to have a shot. If I recall you wanted to be a berserker which requires the most effort and is the most challenging path for induction from me. I think you proved your dedication beyond a doubt, but I couldn't actually induct you, which sucks. I did write notes about you and went through the induction ceremony and all that hoping that someone would cave and let you in. When I found out you had a quest from the Imm's I was like ok, ok, cool, how can I help you. But it was really a solo mission and a tough one at that.

I give you huge props for sticking it out as long as you did, and I hope you enjoyed the character and interactions regardless. I understand why the hard-code is there, but sometimes it really makes things tough for people who deserve to get a second chance.

I really wish there was more I could have done.
Good luck with the next, see you in the fields!

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #114705 Previous topic | Next topic