Subject: "(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Glaubarsto the Avenger of the Righ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #26183
Show all folders

Death_AngelSat 10-Apr-04 05:52 PM
Member since 25th Jun 2024
16960 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26183, "(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Glaubarsto the Avenger of the Righteous"

Sat Apr 10 17:50:52 2004

At 7 o'clock PM, Day of Freedom, 25th of the Month of the Old Forces
on the Theran calendar Glaubarsto perished, never to return.

Race:dwarf
Class:paladin
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:352

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Nice one., Glaubie (Guest), 10-Apr-04 08:20 PM, #1
     Reply Not exactly., Felar Serpent (Guest), 11-Apr-04 06:37 AM, #2
     Reply No offense at all, but.., Glaubie (Guest), 11-Apr-04 09:41 AM, #3
          Reply Having read this, none taken., Felar Serpent (Guest), 11-Apr-04 11:06 AM, #4
          Reply Paladins are overpowered!!! You only defeated me becaus..., Angry Imperial (Guest), 11-Apr-04 05:12 PM, #5
          Reply Co-sign, ANGRYEVIL (Guest), 11-Apr-04 08:34 PM, #6
          Reply I'm pretty sure that.., Glaubie (Guest), 11-Apr-04 09:52 PM, #7
          Reply LOL - I was actually giving you credit., Angry Imperial (Guest), 12-Apr-04 03:32 AM, #9
               Reply Oh. Right., Glaubie (Guest), 12-Apr-04 09:08 AM, #10
                    Reply happy to see other belgians play this mud too -nt-, vlaming (Guest), 12-Apr-04 06:43 PM, #13
                         Reply DUUUUDE !, Glaubie (Guest), 13-Apr-04 06:37 AM, #15
          Reply Don't worry. Some of us got it. (n/t), Valguarnera, 11-Apr-04 10:04 PM, #8
          Reply I heart you satire, shokai, 12-Apr-04 03:03 PM, #11
               Reply Oh bloddy..., Glaubie (Guest), 13-Apr-04 06:33 AM, #14
               Reply Mind posting any comment on Glaubarsto? nt, Glaubie (Guest), 13-Apr-04 06:38 AM, #16
          Reply I think it's something to keep in mind though, Daurwyn (Guest), 12-Apr-04 05:18 PM, #12
     Reply RE: Nice one., Sherman (Guest), 13-Apr-04 09:17 AM, #17

Glaubie (Guest)Sat 10-Apr-04 08:20 PM

#26192, "Nice one."
In response to Reply #0

First hero paladin ever. A short thought on shield paladins. They're pretty cool, angels wing is even nicer.. I was able to slay liches in arboria at about 35th rank or so.. but that's about it. Wrath was at 100% pretty soon, I just couldn't seem to be doing enough damage to outclass the wrath damage. Perhaps a little change to make them more .. diversified.. nothing special.. just some loving ..
Anyways, I played Glaubarsto pretty intense the first 250-300 hours.. but I grew bored with wrath and 'angel' in the end.. Also, I had to stop playing because exams were coming up, right at the moment when Jirash stepped down.. Since there was no real other candidate and I thought (of myself) that I was doing fairly well as a Maran. What else.. fastest induction ever for me.. an interview of what, 5 minutes and BAM! Squire I was..

Anyways, enough for my very cohorent thoughts.. Maran and Fortress have always been a blast to play for me (even though I tried evil more than once, it's just not really my cup of tea).. It certainly is more fun than say a year ago when one evil guy would be jumped by ten goodies.. One last thing perhaps.. Shokai was my Lord.. It's a pitty I didn't see much of you, apart from one or two moments in your shrine.. I know you're still out there, and that Maran and all related is not the only thing you do, don't get this wrong.. but .. You have no idea how so incredibly cool it is if you hear a 'Good job' on the cb after a raid or a defense.. or just a word or anything.. By the way, thanks for my virtue, it made fighting so much cooler..

Goodbyes.. pfff.. there are so many that I knew.. I'll reply when you leave something.. One last thing I'd like to say to Njaal.. Sorry for taking your things out of the pit that day in Arkham.. Very un-paladinly, but I figured that once I had them in my possessin, there was no way back.. Props to you for your relentless attacks, even though I had the impression they were just a tiny bit relentless after I had light of heaven ..

Peace, I'll see you all in the fields.

Felar Serpent (Guest)Sun 11-Apr-04 06:37 AM

#26206, "Not exactly."
In response to Reply #1

Throughout the interactions our characters had with one another, both in terms of playerkilling and roleplaying, I don't think there was a single time where you did not interpret my character's great hatred and contempt for Glaubarsto as a lightwalker and as a Paladin as some sort of out-of-character harassment or out-of-character whining. Fortunately enough, I only encountered two of you like that throughout my character's lifetime so far.

Towards the end I avoided interacting with you in any way as a result of all the above. There truly was not a single drop of fun to be found in it anymore.

Why I am making such a big deal out of something so trivial however, I don't know either.

Arthakar

Glaubie (Guest)Sun 11-Apr-04 09:41 AM

#26207, "No offense at all, but.."
In response to Reply #2

What you describe as your great hatred struck me as a 10-year old whine. You have no idea of the utter BS that you have to swallow as a paladin. It starts from lvl 20 with wrath and goes on till you delete. Things like : coward why do you flee ? (after a thee-on-one gangbang), why don't you come here (on eastern road with at least one other person hiding), wrath is overpowered, you only won because of this or that, why do you run (after killing two sets of centurions and then finally imperials show up - especially younger yerars), why do you run (two or more spam-bashing giants show up while fighting centurions) and so on and so on. Really you should try to play a paladin. Mind you, this is not just restricted to the paladin class, but this was the first time ever that I got so much of this nonsense. What I recall about you is that you were calling me a coward (or something alike: you're not a real paladin and all) because I wasn't coming to fight you where you wanted (Everytime you struck the maran I did come however), but after that initial talk I was thinking like 'Oh man .. not agaaaaaiiiiin. I don't need to listen to this sh*t'. So, probably my fault, yes, but please bear with me. You have no idea how the biggest mouths can turn into the biggest cowards. I've played Maran for quite some time now, and although every time is different in its own way, these elements are ever-returning and not-escapable. (Then again, having played some evil, I know the same #### can come from the good side) Another thing. As I already said, you were always telling me like 'I'm here, come and get me'.. Keeping in mind the things that I just said, do you really think I'd come ? That's probably the main reason why I didn't do duels. In Glaubarsto's life, I had one or two fair duels out of eight or nine calls for duel (all pre-30).. So, imagine you're telling me 'I'm here', you don't really expect me to come after you anymore, right? Moreover, I hardly ever sat in my guild or in the Fort, I was busy 98% of the time: my time isn't exclusively yours you know.. I remember one particular moment where I was struggling for life after a bad teleport and one where I was even more struggling in sirine's. Anyways.. Sorry that I misunderstood, then again, I hope you understand my reasoning better as well, now.
Peace.

Felar Serpent (Guest)Sun 11-Apr-04 11:06 AM

#26210, "Having read this, none taken."
In response to Reply #3

Likewise, what you would describe as a 10-year old whine strikes me as the proper language coming from an angered self-made felar that has neither a past education nor a very advanced grasp on Thera's common tongue. Perhaps that's all a matter of perception. But having read your comments on my previous post I do feel that I was harsh on a few points. And for that, my apologies.

I know about the verbal abuse Paladins get to enjoy Glaubarsto. Not to mention the exchange of ganging that goes on mainly between the members of Empire and Fortress. It's a bit ironic, but it was exactly for this reason that I wanted to offer you a one on one duel with him. A nice classic hero versus villain duel, as I tend to get a strange kick out of those, plus my character has more than enough underlying IC reasons to want to indulge in that kind of behavior to begin with. But when you, against this background and as a Paladin, gave me the reply that you 'didn't do duels', I just didn't recieve that comment very well. Glaubarsto wasn't exactly the only person (or Paladin for that matter) that my character has challenged to these kinds of duels, so I went from the assumption that you'd eventually hear from others within the Fort that my character's duels always did end in straight one versus one combat as he promised. Apparently however, this was never the case. In other words, I went from an assumption that wasn't accurate, the same assumption that was probably the source of my malcontent regarding Glaubarsto's attitude. After Glaubarsto's decline, and with my character being as malevolent as he is, he came after Glaubarsto to force him into fighting him, and at times he'd actually attack the Fortress for no other reason than to provoke the Paladin. I know that must have been quite annoying at times for you. But in the end, I was just acting on my role.

Either way, I think we explained the hows and whys well enough to eachother now. No more hard feelings from my part. And good luck with your next.

Angry Imperial (Guest)Sun 11-Apr-04 05:12 PM

#26211, "Paladins are overpowered!!! You only defeated me becaus..."
In response to Reply #3

While you were 9 ranks below me, wrath used in conjunction with angel's wing (thereby causing malediction), then fleeing and healing yourself when necessary, then disarming me to prevent me from using my weapon skills --- requires no skill at all and is simply overpowered.

That you would exploit my duergar vulnerability with wrath, even though I should be aware of it and did nothing to prepare myself, futher suggests overpowered communes.

The fact that I cannot kill you demonstrates the very essence of your excessive power, and speaks to the lack of diversity within the Paladin class. All other classes, except paladins, require skill. Shield paladins especially require no skill or dilligence at all. Bashing - now that's skill. But wait, I can't seem to bash your shield paladin as reliably as I would like. That's overpowered.

I should give up since you probably had overpowered virtues, which are handed out like candy. I saw a ton of Paladins walk up to Shokai and say "Hoo wee, gimme another one o' dem virtues, boy," to which he responded, "Yee haw! Here ya go sport, kill me a few o' dem evildoers, Ya hear? Have a good one, and y'all come back, now. There's more where that came from!"

Furthermore, Marans are overpowered, as anyone can become a Maran with absolutely no skill or RP effort. Why, there's a whole boatload of Marans right now, just look! There's uh... . hmm.. One... Two....

You were nothing more than a cowardly wrath/angel's wing/self-healing / RP bot!

ANGRYEVIL (Guest)Sun 11-Apr-04 08:34 PM

#26217, "Co-sign"
In response to Reply #5

Seeeeeriousleee ur rite on tha ball wit dat one. HoW aRe We SuPpOsEd 2
Ki77 tHeSe OvErPoWeReD pAlAdInS?!?!?!? I m33n Sho-THEHANDHOLDING
PALADINLUVR-kai jest sez hei H3R3 TAKE TH33Z JUS' A LITLE LUVIN 2
MY B3ST3ST FR3NNDS. Wut u dont kno how 2 r0x0r Shamanss h3r3 is sum
virchews to h3lp wit dat. Wut u dont kno how 2 r0x0r thi3v3s h3r3 is
sum virchews 4 that 2!!!!!

If CARRIONFEELD duznt fix dis probl3m Im g0ing 2 OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOH
g3t mei hax0r fr3nds 2 hAx0r CF and d3l3t3 3v3ri PaLaDiN pLaYa th3r3
iz.

D0wN wit da 3l33ts!!@$!@$!!

-NGRY EEVVILL

Glaubie (Guest)Sun 11-Apr-04 09:52 PM

#26223, "I'm pretty sure that.."
In response to Reply #5

this was ironic. The discussion about whether paladins are or are not overpowered has been mushed over time after time after time. It is clear that you speak with no knowledge whatsoever about all the things you mentioned. My con never actually reached 25.. you want to know why ? Because I was bashed to death, time after time after time. I enlarge, they enlarge, I reduce, they reduce. True, shield paladins can reduce the bash of lag, but that happens rarely, and, having played a shield paladin, I know what I am talking about. Furthermore the fact that you have 9 ranks above me clearly shows the biggest disadvantage of playing a paladin. Apart from the occasional fire ap, your range consists of higher level players. The fact that you you could not kill me, might perhaps have nothing to do my being overpowered, but with yourself lacking skill. As I said, I died a lot. And I mean a lot. Also, for your information, it took the virtue-handing-out Shokai about 250 hours to finally granting me my first, and only virtue. I say this not to whine about Shokai, on the contrary. Virtues should be earned. And they are, as should be. Also, your armgument about the 'fact' that everyone becomes Maran in a blink is oh so very false. At this moment, there are about 3 Marans 'regularly' (at least once ever two days) showing up - as you said-. The rest is squire/scribe. At hero range that means 3 Maran against what, 10 hero Imperials ? Even if it's only 6 imperials, it's still double. It took this character and others at least 100 hours to become Maran (for others it might be a bit less because I tend to play in blocks of 6 and more hours a day, making me age quicker than the 'average' player in a week). And, I have a feeling that at this moment - since Rogardian and Vynmylak are back again - standards to become Maran have risen, since there is more .. 'control' as to who can and who can not become Maran. I can imagine that, when Shokai had to run the Fort on his own, he made people Maran a tad quicker.
Oh well. I suggest you play a paladin and try to become Maran. I wish you the best of luck and fun.

Angry Imperial (Guest)Mon 12-Apr-04 03:32 AM

#26231, "LOL - I was actually giving you credit."
In response to Reply #7

My apologies for evoking that lengthy response from you. That post was meant to play on all the cliche's you've heard about paladins. I was sincerely joking, and did not expect you to take it seriously. I'm sure some people got it - See Valg's post. What you accomplished was not easy. Well done, there!

At any rate, your post contains a lot of useful information, so it was not in vain.

We have all heard the "X is overpowered" and "All you do is X" arguments in-game:

"You suck. All you do is wrath."
"You suck. All you do is assassinate people. Crappy assassin."
"You suck. All you do is sleep me. Your Lich has no skill."
"You suck. You always use barrier wands. Show some 1 on 1 melee skill with your mage."
"You suck. You always hide from me in the forest. Had I been given 'acute vision' you would not have ambushed me so easily."
"You suck. All you do is pincer. Lag is BS."
"You suck. All you do is steal. Stop hiding and face my AP 1 on 1, thief."
"You suck. All you do is deathblow."

All I can say is: You suck. All you did was play your role, fight through the tough times, and did a good job of it. Good luck on exams.

Glaubie (Guest)Mon 12-Apr-04 09:08 AM

#26235, "Oh. Right."
In response to Reply #9

I've made a complete ass of myself now . I'm Belgian you see, so english is like my third language, and although I understand it pretty well, sometimes word games are wasted on my.

vlaming (Guest)Mon 12-Apr-04 06:43 PM

#26257, "happy to see other belgians play this mud too -nt-"
In response to Reply #10

nt

Glaubie (Guest)Tue 13-Apr-04 06:37 AM

#26285, "DUUUUDE !"
In response to Reply #13

You were not studying in Antwerp like 6-7 years ago, now were you ?*grin Lucktey*

ValguarneraSun 11-Apr-04 10:04 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26224, "Don't worry. Some of us got it. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #5

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

shokaiMon 12-Apr-04 03:03 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26249, "I heart you satire"
In response to Reply #5

It's always nice to read a post where someone intelligently mocks others. Rock on with your bad self sir. Rock on.

"I wanna be different,
just like all the other
different people I know"
- King Missile

Glaubie (Guest)Tue 13-Apr-04 06:33 AM

#26284, "Oh bloddy..."
In response to Reply #11

Racist ! Pah ! You should be defending your Maran ! Pooh !

Glaubie (Guest)Tue 13-Apr-04 06:38 AM

#26286, "Mind posting any comment on Glaubarsto? nt"
In response to Reply #11

Daurwyn (Guest)Mon 12-Apr-04 05:18 PM

#26255, "I think it's something to keep in mind though"
In response to Reply #3

I liked Glaubarsto, but with three different characters of mine you took an ic criticism (that wasn't even necessarily bad from a paladin's point of view) and took it to mean something ooc. Even if it sounds like someone is making an ooc inference, if it can be taken ic, take it ic. Often it won't be ooc, but whether it is or not, you look better if you take it from an ic perspective anyway.

Sherman (Guest)Tue 13-Apr-04 09:17 AM

#26290, "RE: Nice one."
In response to Reply #1

Bah! Wimpy dwarf! No more swiming with you Good job. Luck with your next

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #26183 Previous topic | Next topic