Subject: "Voralian City" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #512
Show all folders

AmarantheSat 29-Jan-05 09:19 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2003
536 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#512, "Voralian City"
Edited on Sat 29-Jan-05 09:55 PM

With the age of the Ruined City *finally* coming to a close, we are pleased to announce the grand opening of Voralian City, a new bastion and home for Thera's followers of the Light. See the corresponding helpfile for in-character details.

Over recent months I've taken the mantle of leadership on the stalled project to get it done once and for all, but far be it for me to exclude any of the numerous people who have contributed to this project, not just now but in the past, perhaps too many to mention. A special thanks to Valguarnera who really did blaze through those final nuts and bolts to bring the area live for your enjoyment.

The area also marks the debut of the use of the 'sayto' command for exploration purposes. When using 'sayto' directed at an NPC, you can ask about a variety of subjects in the hope of eliciting a useful or amusing response. I recommend starting with something simple such as 'Hello, 'What's your name?' or 'What's your job?'.

For now, this function is mostly limited to Voralian City, but expect to see it expanded to other areas in the future.

Enjoy!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Whoa, kas, 05-Feb-05 11:14 AM, #14
Reply Actually..., Scrimbul, 30-Jan-05 06:51 PM, #3
Reply RE: Layout:, Valguarnera, 30-Jan-05 06:54 PM, #4
     Reply RE: Layout:, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 03-Feb-05 11:47 AM, #8
Reply Just have to say...., Odrirg, 30-Jan-05 12:06 PM, #2
Reply Woot indeed!, Alarian, 31-Jan-05 08:03 AM, #5
Reply RE: Voralian City, Qaledus, 29-Jan-05 10:28 PM, #1
     Reply Question:, Enbuergo, 02-Feb-05 02:27 PM, #6
          Reply This is accounted for., Valguarnera, 02-Feb-05 02:28 PM, #7
          Reply RE: Question:, Amaranthe, 03-Feb-05 04:49 PM, #9
               Reply What would really help is..., Mekantos, 04-Feb-05 01:48 AM, #10
                    Reply Not going to happen., Valguarnera, 04-Feb-05 01:56 AM, #11
                         Reply Hrm, I think you misunderstood..., Mekantos, 04-Feb-05 08:36 AM, #12
                         Reply Uhm, I think he was saying something else entirely., Straklaw, 04-Feb-05 08:36 AM, #13
                         Reply RE: Not going to happen., dwimmerling, 05-Feb-05 11:14 AM, #15
                              Reply RE: Not going to happen., Valguarnera, 05-Feb-05 11:16 AM, #16

kasFri 04-Feb-05 09:09 PM
Member since 20th Oct 2003
52 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#539, "Whoa"
In response to Reply #0

After coming back from a lengthy break I found myself playing a character with this city as a hometown. To all that where involved in its creation I just have to say it.......whoa. Amazing detail and the historical references and such are just flat out a touch of style. It's about time some of those tribunal imms got what they deserved, and yet again I have to say it whoa.

ScrimbulSun 30-Jan-05 05:51 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#515, "Actually..."
In response to Reply #0

This the shortest time period within my memory for an 'area transition'.

Also the new metal and the details about them are highly appreciated and have been much-needed. Big props on that.

Ignore the people who mention the layouts being similar. They're actually pretty lucky that for the most part normal people can still walk through the city like they used to TV and RC.

ValguarneraSun 30-Jan-05 06:54 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#516, "RE: Layout:"
In response to Reply #3

Ignore the people who mention the layouts being similar.

Most of the city was damaged in the aftermath of the cataclysmic event, but the buildings were largely intact with the exception of the White Tower. Quoth Amaranthe on this topic:

"The Voralian Order does not have whitesteel bulldozers. Of course the streets are in the same places."

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Evil Genius (inactive user)Thu 03-Feb-05 11:45 AM
Charter member
In response to Reply #4

>"The Voralian Order does not have
>whitesteel bulldozers. Of course the streets are in the same
>places."

haha

OdrirgSun 30-Jan-05 12:24 AM
Member since 16th Oct 2004
431 posts
#514, "Just have to say...."
In response to Reply #0

Wooot.

Heh.

AlarianSun 30-Jan-05 09:35 PM
Member since 02nd Sep 2004
61 posts
#518, "Woot indeed!"
In response to Reply #2

So what's our next project gonna be?

QaledusSat 29-Jan-05 09:55 PM
Member since 09th May 2004
458 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#513, "RE: Voralian City"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sat 29-Jan-05 10:28 PM

Big kudos to Amaranthe for all her hard work in getting us to the
final stretch.

This is just a reminder that if you see references to Tar Valon
or Ruined City throughout the game, to use the typo command
to report them. I'm sure we'll be finding them for a while.

And please post all the bugs to the Bug Board as you find
them. We've already picked up a few errant Tribunal issues and
a shopkeeper who refuses to sell her wares, but the sooner you
report them, the sooner we can fix them!

Qaledus (who snuck into the echoes and was not a big wheel in this)

EnbuergoWed 02-Feb-05 01:07 PM
150 posts
#529, "Question:"
In response to Reply #1

First of all, long time listener, first time caller...

Why do all traces of Tar Valon and Ruined City need to be removed from the game. They did happen--they did exist, right? They are part of Thera's history. I find this different than, say, Maethien, were reality itself was twisted and it was like Shadar Logoth and Aridhol never actually happened. TV and RC should be in certain characters' historical consciousness, as well as the broad scheme of things.

For example, I'll tell you right now that the Octagonal tower has lots of stuff that refers to Tar Valon. I didn't report this until now, because well, I don't see why it's a problem. The backstory involves TV and the white tower, so why would this need to change--these things were real at one point, and what we have left is...well, you'd have to explore the Octagonal tower to see.

ValguarneraWed 02-Feb-05 02:28 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#530, "This is accounted for."
In response to Reply #6

For example, a number of Lyceum texts refer to "Tar Valon" as the site of historical events, etc. However, the majority of the changes are for descriptions/etc. that refer to the city in the center of the river by name, and that name is now Voralian City.

AmarantheThu 03-Feb-05 03:32 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2003
536 posts
#532, "RE: Question:"
In response to Reply #6

In the interest of becoming an "all original MUD", the intention is for all copywritten material to be removed from the game. Additionally, the use of copywritten material may present potential snags for whatever future CF may have.. for example, if we were to sell a map of Thera in our gift shop to raise money for the MUD, we are now selling an item with copywritten names on it. Not to mention, it just smacks of inconsistent silliness for those familiar with Robert Jordan's series, to have Tar Valon and the White Tower in a world that is decidedly not Robert Jordan's world. I have recommended CF to a few people who upon logging into Tar Valon or walking through Mirkwood ( as it was known in the past ) just quit where they stand because they can't possibly believe a mud that embraces roleplaying to abide by such a hodgepodge of literary references.

With that in mind, the goal is to have references to "Tar Valon" just not exist in the game. Naturally, some characters will retain memories of the place and it'll come up, but ideally that will be reduced over time. References to the city's past in the Voralian City area itself you'll notice are often called the "old city", or something of that nature.

So, no, we're not going to smack you down for mentioning Tar Valon in your roleplay and role, but we want to endorse these names as little as possible.

MekantosThu 03-Feb-05 05:02 PM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#533, "What would really help is..."
In response to Reply #9

...if a mock-up of this "old city" were put into the past, like Ostalagiah. That would pretty much fix the botched-up, unwanted pieces of CF's timeline in regards to Tar Valon. Making a name for the city, instead of the generic "old city" would be a plus as well.

ValguarneraFri 04-Feb-05 01:56 AM
6904 posts
#534, "Not going to happen."
In response to Reply #10

I don't have a strong interest in tempting Robert Jordan's people into issuing a "cease and desist" letter someday by continuing to use their copyrighted material without consent. Jordan's official stance is that his permission is required (as is the Tolkien official stance), and we don't have it. A great deal of fantasy stuff (notably D&D) is considered public domain and the authors have never shown an interest in preventing people from using it, but you'll notice that no area introduced in the last few years is based on copyrighted material.

In reality, the fact that our game is free is probably most of the protection we'd need, but if they asked, I'd still feel obligated to remove it out of respect for their wishes.

Given how much effort it takes to add a new area, I wouldn't want to assign the mock-up to anyone with the area facing an uncertain future anyway.

MekantosFri 04-Feb-05 02:29 AM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#535, "Hrm, I think you misunderstood..."
In response to Reply #11

(I probably didn't clarify very well)

I didn't mean make something that references Tar Valon in any way. I meant make a city to reference Voralian City. Make the city that "used" to be there, before it became the "Ruined City". That would fix the timeline I think. Or just axe all tar valon stuff and ignore it.

StraklawFri 04-Feb-05 04:48 AM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#536, "Uhm, I think he was saying something else entirely."
In response to Reply #11

From what I read, it seems like he was saying to make an area along the lines of "Galadonian Encampment" in the past to help flesh out the "past" of Voralian city as a non-Tar Valon setup, like when Ostalgiah appeared, and CF-wise it was just "everything else was some trick, it never existed".

dwimmerlingSat 05-Feb-05 01:13 AM
216 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#540, "RE: Not going to happen."
In response to Reply #11

Are you inferring that we are in danger of losing the past, the new city you just put in, or something else in that last sentence? I always wanted to see more past stuff...

ValguarneraSat 05-Feb-05 11:16 AM
6904 posts
#542, "RE: Not going to happen."
In response to Reply #15

I meant Tar Valon, since we theoretically could receive a future "stop using our city" letter.

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #512 Previous topic | Next topic