Subject: "Dragons!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1598
Show all folders

DaevrynWed 22-Oct-08 06:41 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1598, "Dragons!"

As you're probably aware, the old Dragon Tower is no more. No longer will a bunch of different dragons with wildly different preferred environments dwell together frat-house-like, playing pranks on the dean who yells 'Dragon house!' in anger. Probably details about the tiny bit of questiness and echoes involved will be posted here soon; this post is to talk about some of the mechanics of this.

A ruined dragon tower stands in place of the dragon tower of old.

Additionally, Tiamat and the five ancient dragons have each established lairs of their own, scattered throughout Thera. Each of these is a very small area explore.

In a sense this is an experiment in a different kind of exploration challenge; there's little special knowledge to find or puzzles to figure out, beyond discovering the lair locations themselves, and I imagine they'll all be reasonably well known soon as word gets around. What they are, however, is a much bigger challenge with much smarter dragons than you've encountered in the past. Along these lines, the rewards are much higher as well. In terms of pure hp/dam/etc. stats, the dragons haven't gotten a lot tougher and Tiamat specifically actually got powered down significantly, but... well, you'll just have to see.

I strongly recommend you take on most or all of the Ancient Five before trying to tackle the new Tiamat. Consider it a friendly piece of advice.

Some thing else of interest debuting here is the concept of area clustering. If you use the where command in the area the green lair attaches to (for example), you can see PCs in the green lair, and vice versa. Currently, this is only for the no-arguments where command only -- it doesn't change how call lightning, stalk, swimto, etc. work. Currently, this is only being used on the six lairs. We'll be keeping an eye on how this works out and consider expanding it somewhat to reduce the size of the world as far as looking for enemies. We're still discussing the best way to handle the other factors around this.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Ooooh., Daevryn, 20-Apr-09 11:36 PM, #28
Reply RE: Ooooh., CrftedDeception, 21-Apr-09 08:38 AM, #29
     Reply RE: Ooooh., Daevryn, 21-Apr-09 08:39 AM, #30
Reply Bump!, Daevryn, 05-Dec-08 11:34 PM, #26
Reply Funny you say that, incognito, 06-Dec-08 08:06 PM, #27
Reply can i have some of your smooth purple crack?, laxman, 21-Oct-08 08:04 AM, #15
Reply You're too used to making assumptions about mobs. :), Daevryn, 21-Oct-08 08:08 AM, #16
     Reply RE: You're too used to making assumptions about mobs. ..., laxman, 21-Oct-08 06:11 PM, #17
     Reply RE: You're too used to making assumptions about mobs. ..., Xanthrailles, 21-Oct-08 06:11 PM, #18
     Reply I would assume Imm conspiracy!!! n/t, Lightmage, 21-Oct-08 06:11 PM, #20
     Reply ####! He's on to us! (n/t), Daevryn, 21-Oct-08 06:22 PM, #21
     Reply RE: You're too used to making assumptions about mobs. ..., Mekantos, 22-Oct-08 06:17 AM, #22
          Reply RE: You're too used to making assumptions about mobs. ..., Daevryn, 22-Oct-08 07:46 AM, #25
Reply In Russia, dragons hunt you. nt, Dwoggurd, 20-Oct-08 06:22 PM, #14
Reply RE: Dragons!, Iza, 20-Oct-08 08:58 AM, #10
Reply At least..., Torak, 20-Oct-08 05:09 PM, #12
     Reply Honestly, that's a good thing.., Java, 20-Oct-08 05:49 PM, #13
Reply What assumptions can we make when searching?, Straklaw, 18-Oct-08 07:48 PM, #5
Reply Yes nt, Rayihn, 18-Oct-08 07:49 PM, #6
Reply A little more location detail, Daevryn, 20-Oct-08 10:44 AM, #11
Reply Why aren't the ruins an explore area?, Java, 18-Oct-08 07:48 PM, #4
Reply We'll be doing some tweaking over the next few days, Rayihn, 18-Oct-08 07:50 PM, #7
Reply Recommended levels are 45-51., Valguarnera, 18-Oct-08 11:54 PM, #8
Reply In that case.., Java, 21-Oct-08 06:11 PM, #19
     Reply I'm backing this request because..., GinGa, 22-Oct-08 09:40 AM, #23
Reply RE: Why aren't the ruins an explore area?, Xanthrailles, 19-Oct-08 06:51 AM, #9
Reply We're going to do something, still discussing what. (n..., Daevryn, 22-Oct-08 09:44 AM, #24
Reply Was Baerinika's dragon quest an intro to this?, DurNominator, 18-Oct-08 04:44 PM, #2
Reply RE: Was Baerinika's dragon quest an intro to this?, Rayihn, 18-Oct-08 04:59 PM, #3
Reply RE: Dragons!, Klaak, 18-Oct-08 04:44 PM, #1

DaevrynMon 20-Apr-09 11:36 PM
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1915, "Ooooh."
In response to Reply #0

I just realized I forgot to add one key thing I wrote probably a year ago to each of the six lairs.

One more fun(?) surprise coming NCR.

CrftedDeceptionTue 21-Apr-09 12:45 AM
Member since 12th Nov 2006
115 posts
#1916, "RE: Ooooh."
In response to Reply #28

Whats the minimum number of players you think it takes to defeat this bitch?

Side note: Can I have questform Tiamat for my next shapeshifter?

CraftedDeception

DaevrynTue 21-Apr-09 08:39 AM
11117 posts
#1917, "RE: Ooooh."
In response to Reply #29

I'd say 5 or 6, but I'm sure at some point a smaller group will manage it.

I pick that number just because I've seen some groups of about that size make good runs at it but make one or two big mistakes. If not for those mistakes I think they'd have made it.

DaevrynFri 05-Dec-08 11:34 PM
11117 posts
#1660, "Bump!"
In response to Reply #0

Just thought I'd re-call attention to this:

I strongly recommend you take on most or all of the Ancient
Five before trying to tackle the new Tiamat. Consider it a
friendly piece of advice.

incognitoSat 06-Dec-08 04:38 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1661, "Funny you say that"
In response to Reply #26

That's exactly what I thought to myself when I saw the log on Dio's. I bet it would have gone differently had they done the right thing.

laxmanTue 21-Oct-08 07:20 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1616, "can i have some of your smooth purple crack?"
In response to Reply #0

The dragons themselves seem tougher since I used to chop through them like they were cake and well now they beat the piss out of me even when I am not the direct tank. I feel their dam redux has gone up.

DaevrynTue 21-Oct-08 08:08 AM
11117 posts
#1617, "You're too used to making assumptions about mobs. :)"
In response to Reply #15

Pretend there are no preps in the game, for a minute.

If you fought a PC once, then fought them again an hour later and they were taking visibly less damage, what would you assume?

laxmanTue 21-Oct-08 11:22 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1618, "RE: You're too used to making assumptions about mobs. ..."
In response to Reply #16

that they invented preps

XanthraillesTue 21-Oct-08 12:01 PM
391 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#1619, "RE: You're too used to making assumptions about mobs. ..."
In response to Reply #16

That they learned a resistance to my weapon?

LightmageTue 21-Oct-08 06:04 PM
319 posts
#1621, "I would assume Imm conspiracy!!! n/t"
In response to Reply #16

n/t

Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.

DaevrynTue 21-Oct-08 06:22 PM
11117 posts
#1622, "####! He's on to us! (n/t)"
In response to Reply #20

MekantosWed 22-Oct-08 02:19 AM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1623, "RE: You're too used to making assumptions about mobs. ..."
In response to Reply #16

Pretend there are no preps in the game, for a minute.

If you fought a PC once, then fought them again an hour later and they were taking visibly less damage, what would you assume?

I'd first check to see if my weapon of choice had changed. Or, if anything in general had changed with my character.

If that's not the issue, I'd say "protection" of some kind had been cast...but that seems contradictory to your first sentence.

All else failing, I'd say there is some kind of "learning ability," such as StSF, where the dragon is basically adapting to you, and this is represented in dam redux.

Hitting any marks there?

DaevrynWed 22-Oct-08 06:41 PM
11117 posts
#1624, "RE: You're too used to making assumptions about mobs. ..."
In response to Reply #22

>If that's not the issue, I'd say "protection" of some kind had
>been cast...but that seems contradictory to your first
>sentence.

Well, not exactly. The dragons aren't chugging potions or anything, but sometimes there just happen to be invokers or healers or the like standing right next to them.

DwoggurdMon 20-Oct-08 06:07 PM
Member since 20th Jan 2004
668 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1615, "In Russia, dragons hunt you. nt"
In response to Reply #0

happy hunting(running).

IzaMon 20-Oct-08 07:21 AM
Member since 28th Apr 2008
54 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1610, "RE: Dragons!"
In response to Reply #0

Sounds good for the game but my current mage's wand was in that old tower.

TorakMon 20-Oct-08 03:30 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1613, "At least..."
In response to Reply #10

...when other areas changed, the wand stayed in the same area. But this one didn't

JavaMon 20-Oct-08 05:28 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1614, "Honestly, that's a good thing.."
In response to Reply #12

If you've explored that area at all. Especially if it stayed on the same mob. Yeowch.

I'd be pissed if I was one of the individuals that affected though (especially those that don't cheat). Searching everywhere in Thera looking for your wand. Finally finding it, then having to start all over? Lame.

StraklawSat 18-Oct-08 07:12 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1603, "What assumptions can we make when searching?"
In response to Reply #0

General dragon mythos always had red dragons and fire, white and cold, and I can't remember if green, black, or both those dragons liked swamps...or what terrain blue dragons liked. Always seemed like blue dragons in stories chilled on some cliff near open plains or desert.

Anyways, can we make reasonable assumptions based on their favored terrain?

RayihnSat 18-Oct-08 07:49 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#1604, "Yes nt"
In response to Reply #5

nt

DaevrynMon 20-Oct-08 10:44 AM
11117 posts
#1611, "A little more location detail"
In response to Reply #5

A little more detail for anyone who didn't grow up with D&D or any of the billion things inspired by their conception of chromatic dragons:

Red Lair: Reds like hot places; this is one of the trickiest lairs to find, probably, because the obvious choice is volcanic Mount Kiadana-Rah and we did not go in that direction because it's already quite full of crimson dragons. However, I can safely say there's magma in the Red Lair and that hopefully narrows it down a bit.

White Lair: It's somewhere cold. (To the best of my knowledge, this is the only lair found so far.)

Green Lair: It's in a forest.

Blue Lair: It's in a desert.

Black Lair: It's in a swamp.

Tiamat: She used to be on top of the Dragon Tower, and she's still in a high-up place.

Some of the entrances to the lairs are not obvious.

Happy hunting!

JavaSat 18-Oct-08 07:10 PM
1055 posts
#1602, "Why aren't the ruins an explore area?"
In response to Reply #0

If you make an area that's extremely dangerous, and impossible to enter as a ghost (to go collect your ####), and you'd never be able to retrieve while naked.. make it explore.

Waiting at the pit, hoping and praying that you notice your #### return before anyone else (and before your naked ass gets PKed) is NOT what I would call fun.

RayihnSat 18-Oct-08 07:50 PM
1147 posts
#1605, "We'll be doing some tweaking over the next few days"
In response to Reply #4

To try and keep it balanced right. Please be patient!

ValguarneraSat 18-Oct-08 11:54 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1606, "Recommended levels are 45-51."
In response to Reply #4

If you are exploring the area well below the advertised levels, you're not expected to last long.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

JavaTue 21-Oct-08 05:22 PM
1055 posts
#1620, "In that case.."
In response to Reply #8

I'd have to ask what it takes for an area to be considered an "area explore". I've looked through a pretty decent amount of the new tower, and I can't believe that it's missing something on the checklist that all the rest of the explore areas have.

GinGaWed 22-Oct-08 09:39 AM
996 posts
#1625, "I'm backing this request because..."
In response to Reply #19

This is the same reason the Octogonal tower was made area explore.

You simply cannot get back to it for your corpse.

The dragon tower is worse, because you can teleport into it. This means if you teleport there, you have to wait at the pit no matter what. That's just crazy.

It also makes exploring there a far, far bigger risk than I think anyone wants to take. Gear is IMPORTANT, and difficult for some classes to get alone (if at all, comfort that evil conjurer buddy of yours).

XanthraillesSun 19-Oct-08 06:45 AM
391 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#1607, "RE: Why aren't the ruins an explore area?"
In response to Reply #4

Easy way to know when you #### will return. It usually comes back about the same time you start scratching yourself from hunger and thirst. Some of the most powerful info in the game!

DaevrynWed 22-Oct-08 09:44 AM
11117 posts
#1626, "We're going to do something, still discussing what. (n..."
In response to Reply #4

'

DurNominatorSat 18-Oct-08 04:37 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1600, "Was Baerinika's dragon quest an intro to this?"
In response to Reply #0

To RP the tower's destruction. Or is it supposed to encourage people to find the new lairs?

RayihnSat 18-Oct-08 04:59 PM
1147 posts
#1601, "RE: Was Baerinika's dragon quest an intro to this?"
In response to Reply #2

Yes and yes. Mostly I just thought it would be kind of cool to run a little quest and have some flashy echoes.

Merelda Dragonsbane stands before the entrance of the Dragon Tower, spell book open. She gazes up at it, righteous determination blazing in her eyes.

Her comrades Joharion, Sefnovan, and Leeya enter the first floor of the tower, using their magics to sneak past the draconians.

Merelda raises her voice in a spell, the whispers of which can be heard echoed by her fellow mages as they take their places. The walls of the Tower begin to shake.

Emende Dragonsbane stands at the entrance to the Draconian Archmage’s study, watching him sacrifice the children of his people to fuel an unthinkable evil.

“Our deal, then, is sealed. You’ve tapped the essences of all your draconian, and given me half their power. I’ll guard my Elders and guide them to their new resting places. You will have what you wanted. Power,” she states.

A flaring white light begins to grow at the base of the Tower and the walls shake more dramatically.

The Draconian Archmage puts the final touches on a pentagram drawn in the blood of his people, snarling as Merelda’s spell begins to wash over him.

Emende looks up, startled by the spell’s power and the swiftness with which it is affecting this place. She hisses in anger and turns, running from the Tower.

She stops at the edge of the clearly, turning and casting one last desperate spell. She falls to her knees with a roar.

The top of the tower bursts out in an explosion, raining chunks of rock to the ground below. Bloodied and broken, Tiamat’s gigantic form can be seen flying through the opening, heading south.

Merelda screams with rage Tiamat escapes, her entire focus on the sky as her twin sister creeps up behind her and stabs her in the back.

As she crumples the spell begins to unravel. You see the forms of White, Red, Green, Black, and Blue dragons escaping from the top of the Tower, each one’s bloodied form taking flight in a different direction.

KlaakSat 18-Oct-08 04:30 PM
350 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1599, "RE: Dragons!"
In response to Reply #0

will there be any rewards given out for those who participated in the questiness? This is the first global quest I've been involved in since conjurers went in (so very long ago), which predated imm xp, edge points, etc...

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1598 Previous topic | Next topic