Subject: "Skill Improvement Tweak" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1065
Show all folders

ValguarneraWed 29-Nov-06 10:08 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1065, "Skill Improvement Tweak"

We were discussing ways to keep the incentive of a larger group with the changes to experience calculation (see Santa Zulgh threads), and we decided to raise the upper limit on ability learning rates in cases where you're fighting NPCs quite a bit tougher than yourself. In practice, this will most often be in group scenarios, but if you can hack it without the help, it applies to you too.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Great change!, Menilin, 15-Feb-07 11:47 AM, #11
Reply How's that affect Orcs, if anyway ? ~, Cassman, 02-Dec-06 03:36 PM, #8
Reply The same way it effects anyone else?, Valguarnera, 02-Dec-06 03:37 PM, #9
Reply Just to clarify, Elerosse, 30-Nov-06 02:30 PM, #3
Reply RE: Just to clarify, Valguarnera, 30-Nov-06 02:33 PM, #4
Reply Neither, really., Daevryn, 30-Nov-06 02:35 PM, #5
     Reply Thanks! Makes more sense now :) ~, Elerosse, 30-Nov-06 03:29 PM, #6
     Reply Honestly... that explained it perfectly... thanks...nt, Saith, 02-Dec-06 03:36 AM, #7
     Reply Ahhh...., Regreath, 09-Dec-06 02:41 PM, #10
Reply RE: Skill Improvement Tweak, Isildur, 30-Nov-06 11:44 AM, #1
     Reply Nope., Valguarnera, 30-Nov-06 11:45 AM, #2

MenilinTue 13-Feb-07 06:09 AM
Member since 07th Feb 2007
11 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1146, "Great change!"
In response to Reply #0

Just wanted to say I LOVE this change! One of my favorite race/class combos to play is a felar assassin, but I rarely do because it's so bloody annoying trying to master kicks with a 17 int. If I do much active ranking with a group, I tend to end up at rank 30 still working on sweep kick. And that's not saying anything about kotegaeshi, kanset, or a number of other very important skills. What I love about the combo is that with defenses mastered, it's a really great tank, so I can always solo mobs much bigger than me. Since this change went in, I decided to give the combo another shot and, MAN, what a difference! I actually gained access to scissor kick at the first level it's available! So once again, great change! Thanks alot!

Menilin

CassmanSat 02-Dec-06 12:19 PM
257 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1073, "How's that affect Orcs, if anyway ? ~"
In response to Reply #0

-Cassman-

ValguarneraSat 02-Dec-06 03:37 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1074, "The same way it effects anyone else?"
In response to Reply #8

The change doesn't have anything to do with race.

ElerosseThu 30-Nov-06 01:24 PM
Member since 01st Nov 2006
423 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1068, "Just to clarify"
In response to Reply #0

does quite a bit tougher mean only mobs that are hooded or does this affect all mobs that are above a perfect match?

ValguarneraThu 30-Nov-06 02:33 PM
6904 posts
#1069, "RE: Just to clarify"
In response to Reply #3

The math for skill improvement eventually caps at a certain toughness. If you weren't previously at or above the cap (for example, fighting a perfect match), nothing has changed.

DaevrynThu 30-Nov-06 02:35 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#1070, "Neither, really."
In response to Reply #3

Disclaimer: I don't know the numbers involved here at all, but I do understand the concept, so I'm making them up to try to explain this -- the ones I'm using will almost certainly be very wrong.

Let's say your chance to learn parry tanking a mob your level is X. Before there was a bonus for higher level mobs, so maybe for a mob one level higher it's an X+1 chance, two levels higher it's an X+3 chance, or whatever. At some point there's a cap on how good that gets... maybe a mob eight levels higher is an X+15 chance, but anything more than eight levels higher is also X+15.

Valg raised the cap somewhat, so now there's an even higher bonus for some range of levels past where it capped before. To keep using those numbers, maybe now nine levels higher is X+16, ten levels higher is X+18, whatever.

So basically this affects anyone fighting a mob higher level than whatever the cap difference was before, which depending on where that falls could just be hooded mobs, but might not be.

ElerosseThu 30-Nov-06 03:03 PM
Member since 01st Nov 2006
423 posts
#1071, "Thanks! Makes more sense now :) ~"
In response to Reply #5

nt

SaithFri 01-Dec-06 11:17 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2005
144 posts
#1072, "Honestly... that explained it perfectly... thanks...nt"
In response to Reply #5

nt

seriously. No joke. I -really- do understand what you meant by all of... that.

so once again,

NT

"Then hunger proved more powerful than grief." - Count Ugolino and the Tower of Hunger

RegreathSat 09-Dec-06 07:22 AM
Member since 16th Nov 2006
19 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1076, "Ahhh...."
In response to Reply #5

As a born again newb, I wasn't really sure the ins and outs of learning your skills. This sheds a light on things that was otherwise stuck on 'dim'. Thanks !!!

Life is a garden... dig it.

IsildurThu 30-Nov-06 11:27 AM
5969 posts
#1066, "RE: Skill Improvement Tweak"
In response to Reply #0

Did this also involve a decrease to the learning rates when fighting not-that-tough NPCs?

ValguarneraThu 30-Nov-06 11:45 AM
6904 posts
#1067, "Nope."
In response to Reply #1

Those learning rates remain as sucky as they were last week.

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1065 Previous topic | Next topic