Top General Discussions Bug Submissions Topic #12344
Show all folders

MMmT (Guest)Fri 02-Nov-07 04:08 PM

#12344, "Why can't deafen be cancelled?"

help 379
DEAFEN
Syntax: cast 'deafen' <character>

This spell produces a loud ringing noise in the character's ears, rendering
them unable to hear anything, and thus unable to cast spells or order pets.

This, unlike transmuter spells that actually damage organs, produces a magical ringing noise in the ears. I don't understand why this should not be curable by cancellation as it is a magical affliction, unlike poison or scourge which are magical at casting, but become physical. Given the raw power and ease of use by DEAFEN, shouldn't there be some way to cure it other than a paladin?

Deafen has one round of lag, costs crap mana, and completely wrecks a caster or a bard. Worldbind at least has to be initiated with and costs a lot. Deafen has neither drawback and is just as bad on classes that rely on their voice.

Oh, and I think worldbind can be cancelled.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ZulghinlourSat 03-Nov-07 12:09 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12348, "Because you can't cast spells while deaf (n/t)"
In response to Reply #0

n/t

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

MMmT (Guest)Sat 03-Nov-07 01:25 PM

#12351, "You can now"
In response to Reply #1

With a certain edge you can cast cancellation while deaf (small chance). And cancellation can be cast upon you by someone else. Given that, would it be allowable to have deafen reclassified as a spell, like blindness and weaken, that can be cured by cancellation? Even a luck, or unlucky, dispel or dispel magic should have the ability to do it.

ZulghinlourSat 03-Nov-07 02:48 PM
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12353, "RE: You can now"
In response to Reply #2

>With a certain edge you can cast cancellation while deaf
> small chance). And cancellation can be cast upon you by
>someone else. Given that, would it be allowable to have deafen
>reclassified as a spell, like blindness and weaken, that can
>be cured by cancellation? Even a luck, or unlucky, dispel or
>dispel magic should have the ability to do it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to decrease the power of deafen that much. That pushes it far closer to useless in my opinion.

MMmT (Guest)Sat 03-Nov-07 03:40 PM

#12354, "RE: You can now"
In response to Reply #3

With the intonation adept edge I see about 1 in every 6 castings go through. Sometimes less. Deafen is certainly not useless since you can bet the AP will be all over you while you are deaf, and you can't cast cancellation while in combat anyway. So you have to flee and either run or attempt to cast cancellation about 6 times (6 rounds of lag, precious time). I mean, you would still not be able to go to a healer and get healed from it, so you have to cancel which would strip most of your beneficial affects...i agree with most of what you say on most topics but this honestly seems fair.

Besides, why should AP's have the power to nuke 7 classes of the game with a single, one-round of lag spell that lands pretty damn easily and can't be cured except by a priest class that really does not need to worry about being deafened?

If it goes on this way, can we at least see some cure deafen preps introduced? And not just level 30 ones that won't do a thing for hero ranges.

(by the way, I love playing AP's. I just never knew how potently ridiculous deafen was until i played the other side.)

ZulghinlourSat 03-Nov-07 07:04 PM
9792 posts
#12355, "Take it to Gameplay, there is no bug here (n/t)"
In response to Reply #4

n/t

Top General Discussions Bug Submissions Topic #12344 Previous topic | Next topic