Subject: "Evade and Dropped Weapons" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Bug Submissions Topic #11011
Show all folders

IgsoehTue 08-May-07 02:35 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
201 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11011, "Evade and Dropped Weapons"

It seems that evade gets a check before the attacker/defender's weapon status checks. Don't have a log handy but, when ranking against skeletons, they will evade a disarm from a PC even if they have already been completely disarmed. Also, as Istilion, an assassin got me to drop a weapon, and he evaded my first impale, even though I had no weapon. My second one checked normal and it gave me the wield a spear dumbass echo. If I remember right, the same thing for dirt kick, it will check against your evade before it checks whether or not you're blind. Sorry I don't have the logs.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply That's correct. (n/t), Daevryn, 14-May-07 04:30 PM, #1
     Reply RE: That's correct. (n/t), Igsoeh, 16-May-07 03:08 PM, #2
          Reply RE: That's correct. (n/t), Sebeok, 16-May-07 03:10 PM, #3
               Reply RE: That's correct. (n/t), Daevryn, 16-May-07 04:23 PM, #4
                    Reply Doesn't that open it up to abuse though?, Guy (Guest), 16-May-07 06:57 PM, #5
                         Reply Lazy?, Zulghinlour, 16-May-07 06:59 PM, #6
                              Reply Well there are a few ways to do it, Guy (Guest), 16-May-07 10:20 PM, #7
                              Reply RE: Well there are a few ways to do it, Zulghinlour, 16-May-07 10:23 PM, #9
                                   Reply RE: Well there are a few ways to do it, Valkenar, 19-May-07 06:39 PM, #10
                                        Reply Nope:, Daevryn, 19-May-07 06:40 PM, #11
                              Reply I think what he means, Klaak1 (Guest), 19-May-07 06:39 PM, #8
                                   Reply I brought this up in a conversation with Valg the day w..., Daevryn, 19-May-07 06:42 PM, #12

DaevrynMon 14-May-07 04:30 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11072, "That's correct. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 14-May-07 04:30 PM

IgsoehTue 15-May-07 06:58 AM
201 posts
#11074, "RE: That's correct. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #1

Can I ask why? Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

SebeokWed 16-May-07 03:10 PM
940 posts
#11083, "RE: That's correct. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #2

Because doing it any other way would be a billion times more work, is my guess.

DaevrynWed 16-May-07 04:23 PM
11117 posts
#11084, "RE: That's correct. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #3

That's most of it (in my mind), the rest being, the status quo rewards you for paying attention, which isn't an all bad thing.

Guy (Guest)Wed 16-May-07 05:17 PM

#11085, "Doesn't that open it up to abuse though?"
In response to Reply #4

It just sounds like you guys are too lazy to move around the way some of that stuff layers.
No offense, but it sounds like in previous history stuff like that bites you in the ass.

Sure as far as I can think, it limits it to spamming evade up quickly, but who knows I'm not really a bug abuser. I'm sure the russians can come up with something better. If you give them enough time?

Just my 2cents.

ZulghinlourWed 16-May-07 06:59 PM
9792 posts
#11086, "Lazy?"
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Wed 16-May-07 06:59 PM

>It just sounds like you guys are too lazy to move around the
>way some of that stuff layers.

It would fundamentally change the way combat is done if we made this change (honestly, it would be easier to just scrap everything that we do in combat today and re-write it from scratch to fix this problem). This is probably a thousand times more work than the dual-wield work I did. There is no way I want a part of this one.

>No offense, but it sounds like in previous history stuff like
>that bites you in the ass.

No idea what you mean by that.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Guy (Guest)Wed 16-May-07 07:42 PM

#11087, "Well there are a few ways to do it"
In response to Reply #6

Most of them do require some sort of restructuring, if CF still resembles what it spawned from.

After giving it considerable thought on a solution...
I realise lazy is far from the right word, I'm looking more for a word that explains how you wouldn't want to scroll over pages and pages of code interjecting a evade check after the skill checks to see if it can be done in the first place
IE
(Do_impale
Check wield for spear
check to see if they know impale
>paste< check evade call
impalestuff ) * 1000 times over

If you've come up with a better way to do this.. I'm impressed. everything else I threw around sounded just as hopelessly tedious.
(On other solutions, maybe a table of some kind? But I was still stumped how to come up with quick way to check to see if you can do said skill without just Fing writing the checks into the table)

Anyway I realise my previous reply was more than a bit critical, but I still think you could abuse it with some thought.

PS as for stuff that has been shortcutted before, I can't think of a specific example, and if I do I'll probly just email you? I hate mangling the bugboard with a vague (And still currently only supported in my head) arguement =P

ZulghinlourWed 16-May-07 10:23 PM
9792 posts
#11092, "RE: Well there are a few ways to do it"
In response to Reply #7

>After giving it considerable thought on a solution...
>I realise lazy is far from the right word, I'm looking more
>for a word that explains how you wouldn't want to scroll over
>pages and pages of code interjecting a evade check after the
>skill checks to see if it can be done in the first place
>IE
> Do_impale
>Check wield for spear
>check to see if they know impale
>>paste< check evade call
>impalestuff ) * 1000 times over

Yup...this is exactly what we'd have to do unless we wanted to re-write the combat code. Pasting in an evade check into every single skill we have in the game is going to take more time than re-writing how combat works (okay...maybe not that much time, but I'd rather invest time in re-write then tedium).

>Anyway I realise my previous reply was more than a bit
>critical, but I still think you could abuse it with some
>thought.

I agree, I'm sure there are ways. The playerbase always proves me right

>PS as for stuff that has been shortcutted before, I can't
>think of a specific example, and if I do I'll probly just
>email you? I hate mangling the bugboard with a vague (And
>still currently only supported in my head) arguement =P

I get what you're saying now.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

ValkenarSat 19-May-07 02:46 PM
1203 posts
#11104, "RE: Well there are a few ways to do it"
In response to Reply #9

>Yup...this is exactly what we'd have to do unless we wanted to
>re-write the combat code.

Though I know nothing about the code, isn't there already a test_bard_distort() before every skill? Couldn't you just:

Search: Test_bard_distort();
Replace; Test_bard_distort();\nTest_Evade();

DaevrynSat 19-May-07 06:40 PM
11117 posts
#11106, "Nope:"
In response to Reply #10

Check it sometime. You can disarm empty air on someone who doesn't have a weapon.

Klaak1 (Guest)Wed 16-May-07 09:23 PM

#11089, "I think what he means"
In response to Reply #6

Is that if evade is being checked before checking to see if the attempted skill can even be used I(i.e. dirt kicking at someone when they're already blind), then two people could get together, blind each other, and then spam dirt kick as fast as they can. Each time they attempt to dirt kick, evade gets checked, then dirt kick, the person is told, "He's already blind," therefore, does not get lagged from the attempt, and just dirt kicks again immediately. And the process repeats. As such, evade can get checked about 10 times per round, and people spam practice evade to 100% very quickly.

I think this is what he's referring to when he says:

"it sounds like in previous history stuff like that bites you in the ass."

Klaak

DaevrynSat 19-May-07 06:42 PM
11117 posts
#11107, "I brought this up in a conversation with Valg the day w..."
In response to Reply #8
Edited on Sat 19-May-07 06:42 PM

And basically, I came to the conclusion that it was better for most of the players if I took 1 hour to put in logging that would catch that exploit and another minute to deny each character that did it, rather than take 100 hours to fix it right and then skip out on 1000 hours of CF coding because I'm too burned out to care.

Top General Discussions Bug Submissions Topic #11011 Previous topic | Next topic