Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #899
Show all folders

incognitoMon 28-Apr-03 04:50 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#904, "don't love it but it is essential!"

Let's see what ranking allows:

1. People to exist with just a subset of their skills, amongst those with a subset of their skills. This gives rise to far more tactical scenarios than if we were all heroes.

2. Exp penalties. Would mean nothing if we were all heroes.

3. Learning the lands. People wouldn't bother visiting most places if not to rank.

4. Setting up ambushes etc. Ranking increases incidences of resting, being engaged in combat and thus vulnerable, learning skills, travelling more predicatably etc.

5. Ranking forces people into alliances/risks that they otherwise wouldn't make, because of the risk.

This applies to lowbie ranking as well as non-lowbie ranking.

Therefore, despite the annoyances like getting stuck at level 35 as an ap, 34 as an assassin (not that this ever happens), 39 as a warrior etc, I am a huge fan of ranking, despite the tedium of it.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicTrying to start something here. [View all] , Catastrophic, Wed 30-Apr-03 05:20 AM
Reply Like most things, it's a give and take., Quislet, 01-May-03 04:41 AM, #8
Reply HATE is too strong a word., Balrahd, 30-Apr-03 08:00 PM, #7
Reply It's only bad when you sit for hours trying to get a gr..., Gwyn, 30-Apr-03 07:07 PM, #6
Reply don't love it but it is essential!, incognito, 28-Apr-03 04:50 PM #4
Reply All ranking sucks, but what are ya gonna do?, Young Nastyman, 28-Apr-03 02:23 PM, #1
     Reply I don't know what I'm personally going to do, but.., Catastrophic, 28-Apr-03 02:48 PM, #2
          Reply RE: I don't know what I'm personally going to do, but.., Young Nastyman, 28-Apr-03 02:51 PM, #3
               Reply RE: I don't know what I'm personally going to do, but.., Catastrophic, 28-Apr-03 03:49 PM, #5
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #899 Previous topic | Next topic