Subject: "Both viewpoints" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74829
Show all folders

JormyrSun 21-Jan-24 11:09 AM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
419 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74835, "Both viewpoints"

Typically, I tend to lean towards "it's fine". Ghost time is an opportunity to re-prepare for PK range. People can use it for gear gathering, preps, etc. There is an advantage (that requires dying to get) to being dead, and as long as the game has been around people use it. Run through an aggro area to grab a prep or item on a mob way in the back. Dash PAST traps/centurions/snares someone has prepared to unghost behind them, etc.

Honestly, effective trappers are probably some of the most hated characters in the game, even as a subset of thieves. People hate losing. People ESPECIALLY hate losing when they don't even have the chance or opportunity to win. Why do people hate thieves? Because they "win"(take your stuff) without even giving you the chance to bash them into the ground. If you do, half their skills are designed to make THAT even harder. Trappers top it off by NOT EVEN BEING NEEDING TO BE THERE to kill you. So personally, I think the desire for the change comes more from that than an objective game play balance. No class is equal. If fights consisted only of auto rounds, warriors win. Mages/priests tend to be better with active casted items. Rogues tend towards weaker directly but better control/anti-escape to capitalize on times of weakness.

All that said...walking into trap instant death sucks. No matter what. But how much does it change as a ghost? That you could have bashed him down as he sets them? That again goes back to frustration of losing and being powerless against it. If you could have done that, you knew he was there, so now if I saw that, I would assume traps are being set and either avoid it. What is it Starlord said - A trap isn't a trap if you know it's a trap?

My final thought - as cliche as it is - is the common question of have you seen it from the other side and played it? People are often frustrated with it, but there's truth. If it's that overpowered, go ahead and make one and mow down your PK range. Slaughter all who dare kill you with the unstoppable ghost-traps! 95% of the time people realize the rock-paper-scissor aspect of the game better or the effort put into the reward. Or every now and then someone proves their point and a tweak happens ??

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicTrap setting while a ghost [View all] , Xzelyx (Anonymous), Fri 22-Dec-23 04:42 PM
Reply Both viewpoints, Jormyr, 21-Jan-24 11:09 AM #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74829 Previous topic | Next topic