Subject: "A compilation of thoughts" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #48461
Show all folders

Pondering (Anonymous)Sat 19-Jan-13 03:02 PM
Charter member
#48461, "A compilation of thoughts"
Edited on Sat 19-Jan-13 03:45 PM

The following is a list of things that I was thinking about over my past few characters, and I think could be some food for thought.

1) Monks seem to be brutal to deal with if you're a melee class. I mean just brutal. Intensify is ridiculously nice. When combined with respond (to take away weapons fairly reliably) and anticipate (to avoid your Achilles' Heel from any given class) it seems quite unbalanced for any sort of 1v1 fight. I understand that maintaining enough mana to really perform at optimum capacity is a challenge. Even still I think monks are just too beefy for most melee classes, even if the melee class preps up to a decent degree.

2) Frost giants are really neat and interesting to play. The more hp/less dex aspect gives them a unique feel when you're playing one. Iceblade is also a nice niche inherent. And while their iceblade turns no_disarm at lvl 41, it's still only avg 21 or so with no progs or anything at level 45. I think it'd be neat if iceblade got beefed up either in avg, or given a wintery prog or something. I don't know, they just seem lacking when compared to other niche and nice inherents (forgecraft/heatwalk/wingsweep/swiftstrike/faerie fie/stone skin/call lightning are all beautiful in the right scenario)

3) Racial edges for the under-played warriors. (Mainly looking at gnome/wood-elf ones as those are the only ones I have any experience with.) The gnome ones felt balanced. I had a brief stint as a no-name nexan gnome warrior wanna be and the edges helped bring me up to something resembling par, without making me a monster. I think gnome warrior has the capacity to be badass with the right combo though.

Wood-elves however just feel really, really tough. I'd like to see a nexan/outlander one with the edges, as my only sample size of observation are rager ones...but even still, they seem kind of stupidly beefy. I think the main one is Natural Weapon Spec. They just seem damn near impossible to hit while hitting really, really hard. Especially given that some combos have really nice, not very limited, natural weapons they can get. (Mainly thinking about swords/spears and staffs/daggers here.)

4) Resist magic change: I think that this made dwarves/svirfs really buff in that(if I'm understanding this correctly) they now have an inherent 20% dam redux to nearly all elemental attacks. Combine that with some basic prepping or rager resist and that's a LOT of dam redux against a lot of things. It doesn't feel completely right to me(but then again this change is super new so I could be crazy).

Do any of the Immstaff feel the similarly about any of the above, or is everything about where they want it to be?

Anyway, just some observations and thoughts. Thanks to the Immortals for looking over this and any consideration they give to it. Also big thanks to all they do.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicA compilation of thoughts [View all] , Pondering (Anonymous), Sat 19-Jan-13 03:02 PM
Reply RE: A compilation of thoughts, Daevryn, 19-Jan-13 09:51 PM, #4
Reply RE: A compilation of thoughts, Ponderer (Anonymous), 20-Jan-13 03:13 AM, #5
Reply Regarding monks, Vortex Magus, 19-Jan-13 05:50 PM, #3
Reply RE: A compilation of thoughts, Isildur, 19-Jan-13 05:43 PM, #2
Reply Actually no etc., xrus, 21-Jan-13 10:15 AM, #7
Reply RE: A compilation of thoughts, Scarabaeus, 19-Jan-13 05:29 PM, #1
     Reply I don't think frost giants need more perks, -flso, 20-Jan-13 03:08 PM, #6
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #48461 Previous topic | Next topic