Subject: "An idea for aura, shield and barrier" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #27135
Show all folders

_Magus_Mon 12-Oct-09 01:36 AM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27135, "An idea for aura, shield and barrier"

Actually, I think removing barrier would be the best thing for this game right now. Haste, arguably the number one prep for a warrior, was removed. I think it's time to do the same for barrier.

My idea proposal is as follows:

Keep aura in the game as it is. Maybe correct a couple locations so that they are all on roughly equal terms to acquire.

Keep scales of the dragon the way it is. That way if you just can't find your sienna or are too lazy to go find it or acquire it, you still have access to some damage reduction (that doesn't interfere with healing--which is cool).

Remove all barrier locations. Give mages the barrier spell so that it works similar to scales of the dragon (e.g. with a timer). However, make it so barrier doesn't give any damage reduction against PC's and only works against NPC's. That way, mages could still effectively raid, explore, and absorb the 400 hps worth of damage every round you know they are going to soak up fighting conjurer's and necromancers (because most mages defenses suck ass--and that figure might be exaggerated too, heh). But it would still only be useable situationally. So they couldn't have it up 24/7.

I've fought plenty of mages. I've fought as a mage plenty of times. Constant barrier on a stick makes them too survivable, and discourages way too many people from actually fighting. Let's face it, if people don't think they even have a chance to win, they're turning the other way in most cases (not all).

Someone mentioned it before that to compete at hero, two forms of damage reduction are sufficient enough to fight with anyone (given that the person you're fighting doesn't have barrier). Any combination of stone skin + protection, or aura + shield, or whatever, is more than enough.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #27135 Previous topic | Next topic