Subject: "Yet another view on changes to ranking areas (YAVCRA)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #17982
Show all folders

elmeri_Mon 28-May-07 05:13 AM
Member since 13th Dec 2004
252 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17982, "Yet another view on changes to ranking areas (YAVCRA)"

Lately we have seen changes to a few ranking mobs, to make them a bit beefier. As an aside, I don't mind these changes as these ranking spots where already inferior to other places, and I rarely used them much. It's probably appropriate to say, that I usually play characters that can rank well, like bards or sword spec warriors or what not.

I think there is a nice selection of ranking areas available in CF. Different spots require different eq, group setup and strategy, which is great. Also, some areas have low risk/low reward vs. others with high risk/reward.

Areas like Azuremain were grinder areas, with low risk, no spec moves, but also slow to kill, with no vulns and a fairly high amount of hp. When compared to an area like Darsylon or Eregion with iron vulns, and similar, if not lower hp and comparable exp, the exp/time ratio will be higher, but there's a catch. These areas require something other than endless grind and an ok tank. Azuremain was a place of choice for most players, why? Because it was easy. Much in the same way as easy to get eq is more usual than harder to get better quality pieces, not because poor quality is coveted (the item limits aside), but because it's easier to get.

So, who will suffer from the removal of these grinder areas? Poor groups, newer players and players who prefer classes that don't offer much utility against hard ranking areas. Not to mention, the overall variety of different ranking spots that are avilable in cf.

So, my suggestion would be, let the game have both dumb mobs and smart mobs, so different groups can benefit accordingly, and play to the strengths they have, and other can focus on something else. If you feel that a good balance of risk/reward is not struck, alter the reward (exp, notice this can be done by upping the exp of hard areas, or lowering it in easier ones), or the time it takes to kill the mobs (hp, tanking or damredux).

Either way, as I previously said, it does not concern me personally very much, but I thought I'd share my oppinions after reading the nth OMG WTF GAY post on changes, as I think my evaluation is fairly objective, and has a point.

elmeri

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicYet another view on changes to ranking areas (YAVCRA) [View all] , elmeri_, Mon 28-May-07 05:13 AM
Reply I agree., Daning, 28-May-07 05:54 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Fearsome mage mobs:, Valguarnera, 28-May-07 08:46 AM, #2
          Reply RE: Fearsome mage mobs:, Daning, 28-May-07 10:13 AM, #3
          Reply Thanks Valg, deleting is easy now!, Caleban, 30-May-07 11:47 AM, #11
               Reply Nice troll, Valkenar, 30-May-07 12:20 PM, #12
               Reply Are you drunk?, Daevryn, 30-May-07 12:39 PM, #13
               Reply Laughing., Dallevian, 30-May-07 01:54 PM, #15
                    Reply RE: Laughing., Daevryn, 30-May-07 02:11 PM, #16
                    Reply What?!?, Valkenar, 30-May-07 03:22 PM, #19
                         Reply RE: What?!?, Daevryn, 30-May-07 04:01 PM, #20
                    Reply RE: Laughing., Valguarnera, 30-May-07 02:15 PM, #17
                         Reply Re:, Dallevian, 30-May-07 02:56 PM, #18
               Reply Not sure you understand the Bartle system., Valguarnera, 30-May-07 12:45 PM, #14
          Reply My take, Valkenar, 28-May-07 02:11 PM, #4
               Reply RE: My take, DurNominator, 29-May-07 09:28 AM, #5
                    Reply Same here, Valkenar, 29-May-07 10:02 AM, #6
                         Reply RE: Spellcasters, Valguarnera, 29-May-07 10:51 AM, #7
                         Reply Combined responses., Valkenar, 29-May-07 01:34 PM, #9
                         Reply Awesome post. Endorsed! ~, _Magus_, 29-May-07 01:49 PM, #10
                         Reply RE: Same here, Daevryn, 29-May-07 11:31 AM, #8
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #17982 Previous topic | Next topic