Subject: "Excellent rp is like a good characterization in a novel" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1636
Show all folders

GwynFri 18-Jul-03 03:51 PM
Member since 17th Apr 2003
38 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1690, "Excellent rp is like a good characterization in a novel"

At least it is for me. You know the books you love the hero/heroine in, but they always have some kind of flaw, or weakness they have to overcome? And even the villains have something about them, usually, that you kind of can feel for them and understand why they went bad.

That's what I always try to do with my characters. Do they have some really great abilities? You bet. Sylvrin could sing like a bird and dance with the grace of a swan. But she had flaws too. She was naive, gullible, emotional, over-eager sometimes. I think a well-rounded character needs some of that to keep them interesting. I'm not saying everyone can or should do this, but it DOES make your character more fun and interesting to interact with.

That said Roleplaying is a very subjective thing that requires some skills and talents that not everyone has in abundance. You need to have some good imagination, some skill in writing, the ability to think fast on your feet to give just the right witty wisecrack answer, and you need some decent typing skills (something I lack pitifully). I think for people who are new to it, it's just easier to make that super-I-can-do-it-all type character. But I think, given time and experience, most people who enjoy RP get past that.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicRoleplaying Realism [View all] , Alaminore, Sun 13-Jul-03 06:16 PM
Reply Realism, Gherian, 13-Jul-03 08:13 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Realism, Alaminore, 13-Jul-03 08:58 PM, #2
          Reply to expand what Gherian said..., shokai, 13-Jul-03 09:56 PM, #3
          Reply RE: Realism, Ululari, 14-Jul-03 11:10 AM, #4
               Reply Excellent rp is like a good characterization in a novel, Gwyn, 18-Jul-03 03:51 PM #5
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1636 Previous topic | Next topic