Subject: "Emoticon Representation Filter (ERF)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1032
Show all folders

ZepachuTue 13-May-03 03:02 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
223 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1032, "Emoticon Representation Filter (ERF)"

I'm sure most people would agree when they see, "Someone says 'Let's go! ' it promotes an expression of disgust. If I see someone using emoticons I either think them to be a newbie, a poor RPer, or just an idiot for lack of a more constructive thought process.

At any rate, there's a way to have the CF code eliminate that kind of thing, and perhaps help along the way. Being a coder (yes, along with coding MUDs), I know how 'easy' this is to code in (though tedious)... but I wonder if this would have any use on CF, or any kind of adaptation could be used from it. You be the judge! (Jury and executioner, too.)

I realize that you can "esay" something with a certain emotion to it, but this would merely be a way to improve the RP atmosphere.

The Emoticon Representation Filter, or ERF, would filter out a standard set of emoticons, decided on by the ImmStaff, and "represent" them in an RP kind of way.

There are three options for, and uses of, this system.

Option #1:

You type:
say Hey everyone How's it going?

Others see:
Jaehiko smiles and says 'Hey everyone. How's it going?'

Disadvantages: If someone uses more than one emoticon in a sentence it would be hard to determine what expression to precede it with.

Advantages: Less spam.

Options #2:

You type:
say Hey everyone How's it going?

Others see:
Jaehiko says 'Hey everyone'
Jaehiko smiles.
Jaehiko says 'How's it going?'

Disadvantages: More spam.

Advantages: Gives a broken-up kind of effect.

Options #3:

Just have the emoticon's filtered out. Obvious ways to code this are to search the print buffer for : or = and then various characters after it. Annoying, but quite possible, and perhaps worth it.

I know when I see a smiley it makes me look at the person differently.

Whatever, just an idea. I kind of think it is too much of a hand-holding thing.

*shrug*

-Zepachu, the furthest from an authority on anything that has ever existed and will ever exist in this whole entire universe.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1032 Previous topic | Next topic