Subject: "Different Damage Representation Idea." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1017
Show all folders

ZepachuMon 12-May-03 06:55 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
223 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1017, "Different Damage Representation Idea."

Well, I thought of this awhile ago but then forgot. Just today it recropped up in my head and I figured I'd post it. Basically this is an idea that involves the way CF represents the damage you have taken and the damage you have done.

As it stands, the damage verb is based on the AMOUNT of damage, number-wise, nothing else. So, MUTILATES is some range of values, MANGLES is another. And so forth.

To me that seems a little misrepresented. If, number-wise, you are to hit someone for about 40 hp, that would MUTILATE them. But, would it really? What about a mob that has 5,000 hp? Shouldn't that same 40 hp shot be represented as "scratches" rather than MUTILATES?

Basically, I think that the damage you do should be secondary to the percentage of damage you do when compared against their current to maximum health.

Follow?

At level 5 you may get hit for 35 hp and it would MUTILATE you, but if you got hit at level 51 for that same 35 hp, it would still MUTILATE you.

I think it should 'scratch' you because for all intents and purposes at level 5 you may have only double-triple the amount of damage you just took from the 35 hp hit, but at level 51 you have 20x-30x that amount and it really wouldn't effect you that much.

I guess I understand the rational behind it. Psychologically people would feel less gratification if their damage verbs weren't going up and they'd start feeling inadequate and insecure, but whatever. Just a suggestion.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicDifferent Damage Representation Idea. [View all] , Zepachu, Mon 12-May-03 06:55 PM
Reply RE: Different Damage Representation Idea., Jhyrbian, 12-May-03 10:25 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Different Damage Representation Idea., Zepachu, 12-May-03 10:37 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Different Damage Representation Idea., nepenthe, 13-May-03 10:17 AM, #3
          Reply RE: Different Damage Representation Idea., Zepachu, 13-May-03 02:41 PM, #4
          Reply RE: Different Damage Representation Idea., Jhyrbian, 13-May-03 03:18 PM, #5
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1017 Previous topic | Next topic