Subject: "Couple of suggestions for inherents: Elves and Duergar" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #5067
Show all folders

VecnaFri 02-Jul-04 03:32 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
20 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#5067, "Couple of suggestions for inherents: Elves and Duergar"

I was thinking about Duergar in D&D and remembered that they inherently have blur, invis and enlarge. Thinking that three would obviously be too many and that blur would be too powerful (in D&D it functions somewhat like a weaker version of 'when you don't see me') it left invis and enlarge. Invis just doesn't seem like a duergar thing , so that left enlarge. Sure it would be a powerful inherent, but I don't think any more so than svirf stoneskin (true Svirfs needed some lovin') and if it was of sufficiently limited duration could be used tactically whilst not being abusable. Then thinking about invis I thought about elven inherents. Elves are essentially an inherently magical race, so their inherents should reflect a basic and somewhat universal magical spell like invis. I think this would far from make elves overpowered (since all but 4 classes in game can detect invis) but it would add a nice magical flavour to elves when it comes to warrior on warrior. Again the duration would have to be much shorter than the invis spell, enough to escape from combat or ambush an opponent. Finally I thought that as a particualarly nice touch elves should get a permanent Detect Magic and possibly Detect Charm effect on them similar to the duergar and Svirf abilities to detect hiden and invis respectively, I can't see how this last aspect would unbalance the game at all but would make elves 'feel' uniquely magical. you could even go so far as to give them ventriloquate and armor, sorta like a mild magical training that all elves go through in their youth. and these abilities could be aquired as they advanced through ranks 1-10 at roughly the same level mages get them. Alot of these low level mage spells are near worthless and could be nice just for flavour. I know they do have their uses, but, in general, are not enough to turn the tide of a battle.

Anyway, again I ramble, but hope you liked these ideas. Oh and I'm aware you don't like to copy skills from one class to another but in this case, I think they would be nice for giving elven warriors etc a nice magical feel.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicCouple of suggestions for inherents: Elves and Duergar [View all] , Vecna, Fri 02-Jul-04 03:32 AM
Reply re: Duergars, Marcus_, 02-Jul-04 08:34 AM, #2
Reply like the elf idea, hate the duergar one, incognito, 02-Jul-04 04:11 AM, #1
     Reply I think with a sufficiently small duration it would be ..., Vecna, 03-Jul-04 01:31 AM, #3
          Reply even two hours is powerful, incognito, 03-Jul-04 03:22 PM, #4
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #5067 Previous topic | Next topic