Subject: "RE: Coding as an Imm..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #27704
Show all folders

FjarnWed 30-Sep-09 12:52 PM
Member since 03rd Jun 2008
173 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27722, "RE: Coding as an Imm..."
Edited on Wed 30-Sep-09 12:57 PM

>
>Once the person actually imm'd he'd just skip ahead to the
>point where someone would normally start reviewing his first
>draft.
>
>All that would get cut out is the period where he's a heroimm,
>but still hasn't finished a first draft of his area. This
>seems like where most people fail. At least, it's where I
>failed. Having the draft ready beforehand would remove the
>possibility of washing out as a heroimm because one can't get
>motivated enough to finish his area.

Personally, I don't think the area is the main goal of the heroimm process. I think it's a time to prove that you can set goals and stick to them; that you can do the work and not burn out; that you can sacrifice the "play" aspect of the game in favor of the "duty" aspect. You also show that you can plan a project, execute it, ask the right questions, follow instructions, problem solve, accept criticism, defend your decisions, implement suggestions, and eventually see the project through to completion. Area writing is a great way to exhibit all of those characteristics and do so in a way that contributes something tangible to the MUD.

I don't know your specific circumstance, but if you're not motivated to finish the area (your single overriding priority as a heroimm), doesn't that send a signal to the staff that maybe it's not a good match? What if you take criticism too personally? What if you can't work other peoples' ideas into your own to meet a unified goal? These characteristics show up over time, through interactions with multiple members of the staff.

I suppose there is still an outstanding question of: Yes, but why should a player have to heroimm prior to starting any of this? The answer is simple, really: Now you have something to lose, and by extension, you have a reason to take the job more seriously (and not waste the staff's time).

That's my opinion, anyway.

EDIT: I did actually have another point before I wandered lost.. You said:

"Guess I was envisioning a scenario where the would-be-imm had already gotten a tentative thumb's up on the possibility of joining the staff, and had gotten a tentative thumb's up on a very general idea for an area.

The kind of approval you'd get as a current heroimm before beginning to actually write room descriptions."

As I read it, what you've described is basically heroimming without the responsibility. I think that's an important part of the process that shouldn't be ignored or negated... for whatever that's worth.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicBecoming an imm [View all] , Marcus_, Tue 29-Sep-09 11:07 AM
Reply RE: Becoming an imm, Zulghinlour, 29-Sep-09 12:38 PM, #1
     Reply Coding as an Imm..., Zulghinlour, 29-Sep-09 12:53 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Coding as an Imm..., Isildur, 29-Sep-09 01:16 PM, #3
          Reply Possibly, Rayihn, 29-Sep-09 02:51 PM, #4
          Reply RE: Possibly, Dervish, 29-Sep-09 03:51 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Possibly, Straklaw, 29-Sep-09 04:20 PM, #7
               Reply RE: Possibly, Dervish, 29-Sep-09 04:26 PM, #8
                    Reply RE: Possibly, Isildur, 29-Sep-09 04:43 PM, #9
                    Reply RE: Possibly, Rayihn, 29-Sep-09 05:01 PM, #11
                         Reply RE: Possibly, Dervish, 29-Sep-09 05:50 PM, #13
                              Reply RE: Possibly, Isildur, 29-Sep-09 05:55 PM, #14
          Reply RE: Possibly, Isildur, 29-Sep-09 04:00 PM, #6
               Reply RE: Possibly, Rayihn, 29-Sep-09 04:59 PM, #10
                    Reply RE: Possibly, Isildur, 29-Sep-09 05:04 PM, #12
                         Reply RE: Possibly, Twist, 29-Sep-09 06:30 PM, #16
          Reply RE: Coding as an Imm..., Daevryn, 29-Sep-09 06:00 PM, #15
               Reply RE: Coding as an Imm..., Isildur, 30-Sep-09 10:34 AM, #17
                    Reply RE: Coding as an Imm..., Fjarn, 30-Sep-09 12:57 PM #18
                         Reply RE: Coding as an Imm..., Isildur, 30-Sep-09 01:36 PM, #19
                              Reply RE: Coding as an Imm..., Fjarn, 30-Sep-09 05:54 PM, #20
                                   Reply RE: Coding as an Imm..., Isildur, 30-Sep-09 08:46 PM, #21
                                        Reply RE: Coding as an Imm..., Fjarn, 01-Oct-09 08:04 AM, #22
          Reply RE: Coding as an Imm..., Marcus_, 01-Oct-09 04:23 PM, #23
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #27704 Previous topic | Next topic