Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #24574
Show all folders

MekantosTue 28-Apr-09 04:53 PM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24574, "I've always hated multi-charring."

After reading through the growing ####storm in the battlefield, I am glad I've never been a multi-charring person. Look, I understand if you guys need a break from your characters. I get that. But, to be quite honest I tend to see that the people who really kick ass are the ones who stick with one character. Personally, I wouldn't know how to do it otherwise. I can't pour myself into a character and then just cut that off and go play some other persona. It's probably just me.

But here are some reasons why I think having multiple characters is bad:

1) Conflicts of Interest

ex) You have an imperial hero. You have a mid-30's squire. While playing the squire you are faced with the possibility of killing a group of imperials that you've caught at the perfect moment. All of them are from your own imperial's sect, and you personally like them. You also know, from what your groupmates have said, that these imperials are going to get looted heavily if they die (due to vengeance and blahdy blah). Honestly no matter how you play this situation, you're a bit of a ####. Why? Well, if you just stuck with one character the situation would not even be happening. And, if you stick to what your squire should do, you are killing your own cabalmates (again, wouldn't even happen if you had one character).

2) Temptation to Cheat

ex) Your hero gnome shifter just tore through velkyn oloth, for whatever reason. It's about 3am and there is a total of 15 people on and so you think "I could just leave all this gear on the ground...it's no use to me, but my level 13 fire giant warrior sure would like it. Yeah, I'll just leave it...when I log on in the morning with my fire giant, if it's still there...well, cool. If I let enough time pass by it isn't cheating..." Wrong, wrong, wrong, ####ing wrong! I can't tell you how many obvious gear drops I've come across over the years (Velkyn is a big one).

My personal experience with this, though not a gear situation, was Rorg squatting on the orc chief spot so I couldn't get it as Ghriz. He got it, logged in maybe once or twice, and then auto'd. You know he was playing something else, knowing full well he was ####ing me over. Who knows why? I am guessing he had a reason, but I'm not going to bother throwing it out there. Needless to say, it was a ####head move and you should be kicked in your colon with a steel-toed kodiak work boot for it. Sure, if I had another character to play I could have just put Ghriz on ice for this whole ####ty situation, but I also would have completely lost interest in the character by the time Rorg auto-deleted.

3) Gear Circulation (and storage characters)

ex) By having two characters (one of which is probably an explore character, and so has virtually no interaction in cabal wars or PK in general), you are putting a stranglehold on gear. Even worse is the "storage character" who squats on fancy #### for a buddy, or is timing it so that they can log in, delete, and then have their serious hero character run and kill the mob holding the phat lewt a couple times and get the goods. Or, hell, they just go out and get PK'd stupidly by an ooc buddy so they can get it all.

4) Padding Power Characters

ex) This one is the least of the concerns, but let me just say this: When you log in that explore-only invoker after your rager gets mauled by someone, and then get that invoker killed by...say, a lich, you are giving that lich a lot of power that he/she wouldn't otherwise have. Same goes for AP's and just PK stats in general. Just sayin'. This one isn't that big of a deal compared to the others though.

That's the gist of it. If anyone wants to tell me why having multiple characters is good, OTHER than to relieve the tedium of having one character, go for it.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicI've always hated multi-charring. [View all] , Mekantos, Tue 28-Apr-09 04:53 PM
Reply I sometimes have two characters..., KoeKhaos, 29-Apr-09 03:25 AM, #13
Reply Some counter-arguments, Valkenar, 28-Apr-09 10:53 PM, #8
Reply RE: Some counter-arguments, Mekantos, 28-Apr-09 11:48 PM, #10
     Reply RE: Some counter-arguments, Valkenar, 29-Apr-09 08:32 AM, #15
Reply Now that I've let this sit a while, here are some alter..., Mekantos, 28-Apr-09 09:20 PM, #4
Reply Out of curiousity, how would you enforce any of this? ..., Daevryn, 28-Apr-09 09:57 PM, #5
Reply RE: How, Mekantos, 28-Apr-09 10:43 PM, #6
     Reply RE: How, Daevryn, 28-Apr-09 10:49 PM, #7
          Reply Then..., Mekantos, 28-Apr-09 11:45 PM, #9
               Reply RE: Then..., Daevryn, 29-Apr-09 12:13 AM, #11
                    Reply Hrm, Mekantos, 29-Apr-09 12:33 AM, #12
                         Reply RE: Hrm, Valkenar, 29-Apr-09 08:42 AM, #16
Reply I LIKE this idea. I've always been pro account loging a..., KoeKhaos, 29-Apr-09 03:26 AM, #14
Reply I have had multiple characters at times., Isalan, 28-Apr-09 07:10 PM, #3
Reply Playing the Devil's Advocate, Quixotic, 28-Apr-09 06:08 PM, #2
Reply I agree, on the whole, incognito, 28-Apr-09 05:48 PM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #24574 Previous topic | Next topic