Subject: "RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #15686
Show all folders

VladamirMon 25-Dec-06 02:24 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#15711, "RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this."

>I don't ultimately have any stake in this and I'm not sure
>how much effort I really want to put into this, but for the
>sake of discussion:
>
>1) If you want to give me a specific character name or two
>that you think was horribly, repeatedly abused by Tremblay,
>I'd be happy to dig deeper into the logs and call the truth of
>it or not as I see it. I'm not calling anyone a liar, but
>some people have a small penchant for drama and/or
>exaggeration... I'm inclined to believe the logs, all things
>being equal.

Yeah but remember the logs likely still won't bear everything out which I'll get to after point 2. I think the character one of the players who actually left the game was playing at the time was Elisarnia. She said he'd killed her several times, full loots each time. He also told her he was going to keep killing her till she was gone. Thats pretty abusive when the player is about as non-offensive as they come, and he still felt the need to kill her as she unghosted on at least one occasion. I KNOW she didn't do anything to provoke that kind of crap, because she's just not that kind of player. I don't care if he killed her ten times or only killed her 3 times, if someone keeps killing you in a way that you can't defend against and they tell you they are going to keep doing it to you over and over until you go away, why would you expect the person to find that as anything even remotely fun? Why would they want to be in that kind of enviornment? At what point is it reasonable for them to complain? 3 con down? 6? 10?

>2) I don't have a problem with attacking people while they're
>ranking. If you're one person trying to kill three, that's
>probably the only sensible time TO attack them.

I don't have any problem with it either, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I meant that he attacked people who were ranking, so I wouldn't be surprised if a signifigant portion of people he "killed" actually died to a mob. Thats not going to show up as a win for him, but the players he killed will still certainly see it that way. Even moreso in fact because he also managed to cause them xp loss.

>The element of PK is what makes getting XP on CF interesting
>to me. Remove that and it mostly feels like grind to me.
> Though I know that we do have players who really do enjoy
>just going out and getting a level or ten, and hey, more power
>to them.)

I enjoy the PK aspect too, because if there's no risk there's no thrill. That being said, people who go out of they way to piss off the player of a character, instead of actually thinking in terms of roleplay are just bad for the mud. As much as I detest having to invoke his name as an example of anything other than what we DON'T need here, if Arolin had been doing this sort of stuff I can virtually guarantee the staff opinion of things would be vastly different and those flasks would have gotten moved a whole lot sooner. He did things that weren't quite abuse, he took features and used them in a way that they weren't intended and he killed the #### out of people with them. He was smacked down for it. How is this different?

People have been using those flasks for poisoners for literally years. Why does it take someone to really just abuse the hell out of something to get it made not so abusable? If Tremblay had only killed 20 people with those flasks, would they have been moved? How does it make it any better or worse based on the number? What if he had only killed each person one time but did it to a lot more people? For gods sake, I can sit and think of dozens of things that COULD be abused, but I don't do them. Because I don't think taking something and using it over and over until it gets nerfed does anything to enhance the game for anyone. I play CF to have fun, but I also play the game to BE fun for other people to play with.

Why are people who are clearly just going out of their way to ruin what should be a good time for other people even tolerated? I know different people play the game different ways, but this character was nothing but a tool to cause frustration in players. Is that really the kind of thing you WANT going on here? Because as much as I don't want to be one of those "the sky is falling" doomsayers, if you all don't want the playerbase to shrink, then the frustration level of players is something that needs to be considered. People weren't frustrated by Tremblay who have been here for years. The people who were most likely to go away and not come back because of his actions were the ones we really need here the most. The NEW players.

CF is a hard enough mud for new players to adapt to without abusing ####heads running around. I don't think we should all be sitting around holding hands by any means, gods know I don't want to see CF turn into some froofi MUSH enviornment. But the game is hard enough without adding the threat from some abusive asshole who a player doesn't think they can fight that they are "going to be killed again and again until they go away". Thats just not a good mentality to encourage.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicCheap killing of newbies [View all] , nebel, Fri 22-Dec-06 02:43 PM
Reply One of the killed..., Sapphire_Eyes (Anonymous), 01-Jan-07 07:22 PM, #33
Reply I'll repost my opinion from the other forum, edited., Scrimbul, 23-Dec-06 01:00 AM, #12
Reply RE: Cheap killing of newbies, Isildur, 22-Dec-06 07:47 PM, #8
Reply RE: Cheap killing of newbies, Daevryn, 22-Dec-06 03:43 PM, #4
Reply RE: Cheap killing of newbies, TheFrog, 22-Dec-06 06:31 PM, #5
Reply The same reason they allow names like Mike and Chester., _Magus_, 22-Dec-06 07:04 PM, #6
Reply RE: The same reason they allow names like Mike and Ches..., TheFrog, 22-Dec-06 07:11 PM, #7
     Reply Yes!, Valkenar, 22-Dec-06 08:46 PM, #10
Reply RE: Cheap killing of newbies, Daevryn, 22-Dec-06 08:02 PM, #9
Reply RE: Cheap killing of newbies, DurNominator, 23-Dec-06 12:01 AM, #11
Reply I wasn't really trying to say Cabdru was a newbie kille..., nebel, 23-Dec-06 10:15 PM, #18
Reply My take..., Twist, 22-Dec-06 03:33 PM, #3
Reply Well not to burst your bubble, Drag0nSt0rm, 22-Dec-06 03:20 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Well not to burst your bubble, nebel, 22-Dec-06 03:29 PM, #2
          Reply well to be honest..., Vladamir, 23-Dec-06 11:46 AM, #13
               Reply FYI..., Daevryn, 23-Dec-06 01:49 PM, #14
                    Reply Addenda:, Daevryn, 23-Dec-06 01:50 PM, #15
                    Reply RE: FYI..., _Magus_, 23-Dec-06 03:19 PM, #16
                    Reply Even I know of an easyway to overcome, (NOT Pro), 23-Dec-06 07:50 PM, #17
                         Reply RE: Even I know of an easyway to overcome, _Magus_, 23-Dec-06 10:40 PM, #19
                              Reply I did read., (NOT Pro), 24-Dec-06 07:42 PM, #22
                    Reply Just a few of the people who contradict this., Vladamir, 24-Dec-06 11:47 AM, #20
                         Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Daevryn, 24-Dec-06 01:41 PM, #21
                              Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Vladamir, 25-Dec-06 02:24 AM #23
                                   Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Daevryn, 25-Dec-06 03:18 AM, #24
                                   Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Valguarnera, 25-Dec-06 12:23 PM, #25
                                        Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Vladamir, 26-Dec-06 01:53 AM, #26
                                        Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Daevryn, 26-Dec-06 08:18 AM, #28
                                        Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Vladamir, 26-Dec-06 10:00 AM, #29
                                             Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Daevryn, 26-Dec-06 10:18 AM, #30
                                                  Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Vladamir, 26-Dec-06 12:32 PM, #31
                                        Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Valguarnera, 26-Dec-06 01:03 PM, #32
                                        Reply RE: Just a few of the people who contradict this., Eskelian, 26-Dec-06 03:35 AM, #27
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #15686 Previous topic | Next topic