Subject: "Gnomes vs Svirfnebli Question" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #15413
Show all folders

dalnekoWed 06-Dec-06 10:23 AM
Member since 28th Feb 2006
268 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15413, "Gnomes vs Svirfnebli Question"

Before I go anywhere with this, let's first compare gnome characters to svirfnebli characters. This info is taken from both the CF site and Dio's.

Gnomes (300xp penalty) -
Max stats: Str: Strong (18) Int: Super-genius (23) Wis: Profound (25) Dex: Dextrous (20) Con: Healthy (18) Cha: Charismatic (19)
100% skill: Lore
Vulnerable: Bash
Resistance: Poison
Special: Infravision

Svirfnebli (250xp penalty) -
Max stats: Str: Herculean (22) Int: Genius (18) Wis: Sagacious (22) Dex: Dextrous (20) Con: Hearty (22) Cha: Charismatic (19)
100% skill: Lore
Vulnerable: Bash
Resistance: Poison, Disease, Magic
Special: Detect Invis, Infravision, Underdark Scanning
Inherent: Stone Skin

It seems to me, from my perception, that overall playing a svirf character is better than playing a gnome character. Unless you really want to play a gnome over a svirf for RP reasons. Svirf are stronger, almost as wise, equally dexterous, and healthier than gnomes. Sure they're lacking in the Intelligence department but 18 intelligence still means you can learn a skill with two practices. And with 22 Wisdom you're gaining 4 practices per level. Not only that but svirf have three(3) resistances to their one(1) vulnerability in contrast to gnomes one for one. Toss in the detect invis, infravision, the ability to scan in the Underdark (which means reduced surface scanning), along with the inherent stone skin and it leaves me wondering why it is that gnomes have a 300xp penalty while svirfnebli only have a 250xp penalty?

Now don't get me wrong. The point of this post isn't to tell the staff that they should make changes to the xp penalties of the races but more of academic purposes. I really do just want to know why the lower penalty for a race that seems to have more going for it. It's only a 50xp difference anyways. I just found it odd that playing a gnome 'costs' more than playing a svirf. The latter of which has a lot more benefits and I merely wish to know why. Curiousity and all.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicGnomes vs Svirfnebli Question [View all] , dalneko, Wed 06-Dec-06 10:23 AM
Reply RE: Gnomes vs Svirfnebli Question, Twist, 06-Dec-06 12:10 PM, #3
Reply Resist magic, Urog, 07-Dec-06 03:20 PM, #4
     Reply Not that it helps...., Tac, 07-Dec-06 03:29 PM, #5
     Reply RE: Resist magic, Daevryn, 07-Dec-06 04:28 PM, #6
          Reply Why the difference then?, vargal, 07-Dec-06 09:26 PM, #7
Reply I think honestly the gnome penalty is too low., Elerosse, 06-Dec-06 12:09 PM, #2
Reply RE: Gnomes vs Svirfnebli Question, Isildur, 06-Dec-06 11:05 AM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #15413 Previous topic | Next topic