Subject: "Counterpoint" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #11546
Show all folders

WildGirlMon 02-Jan-06 03:10 AM
Member since 16th Sep 2004
250 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11596, "Counterpoint"

>+ Outlander thief might work on some level on the offensive
>side, making blackjack steal raids to cities. With detect
>hidden, thief has some scouting ability.

Trappers have the ability to knock out entire groups of people, which is great against Tribunal. Poisoners, binders, thugs all have their uses in raid scenarios. A pickpocket thief is really the only thief that has a great advantage in being a solo player, and hide is essential for them. All the other paths are great as scouts, and then backup. I once read something one of the Imms posted about envisioning poisoner thieves in Outlander would be scary.

>- Name a wilderness trainer where you can train thief paths? I
>don't know one. How is practicing in cities consistent with
>Outlander role?

This argument could be made for bards as well, but bards are allowed and encouraged to join Outlander. It can be gotten around since some of the nature-oriented towns (i.e. Darsylon, Eryn Galen) and the outlying settlements have guilds you can practice in. This could fit in consistently with the rogue who sneaks into town to take care of some business and then sneaking back out. I think there is even one thieves guild not located in any city at all. I forget what they teach though.

>- I don't see why my character should be of thief class and
>end up as Outlander. Doesn't sound very convincing.

"The Outlanders of Thar-Eris are a motley crew of wildmen, brigands, barbarians, and freedom fighters who seek to spell the end of the pox civilization has brought upon the world. Those who heed the call of Thar-Eris walk many paths, from the cunning outlaw to the wily trickster to the contemplative naturalist."

Brigand is another word for a highway robber. Cunning outlaw, wily trickster, either sounds like it could be a description for thieves. I think of all the classes that are able to join Outlanders, thieves make the most sense. Losing their ability to hide within cities also makes sense, but not losing their ability to hide altogether. Since, even if they didn't lose the ability to hide, lawmen could see them anyway, I don't think there's a true imbalance to let them keep hide. Plus, the Empire is filled with Shadows and duergars to see thieves.

What doesn't make sense to me is an orderly thief. Thieves are known for stealing, plain and simple, and taking what isn't yours from someone seems like it would be the precursor for chaos.

>- Most other classes would do better in Outlander in my
>opinion with a better roleplay concept than thieves.

There are plenty of great role ideas for a thief in Outlander. One of the greatest thief tales is about an Outlanderish guy. Robin Hood. Though, his end goals weren't the same as most Outlanders, he still fought against the tyrannical order. Anyone with a decent roleplay idea could come up with something to join the cabal, whether you're a strange redeemed nature-loving dwarf, or a necromancer who's given up their powers, or a forest brigand hiding in the forest.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicConcerning Outlander Thieves [View all] , WildGirl, Thu 29-Dec-05 01:10 PM
Reply RE: Concerning Outlander Thieves, nepenthe, 29-Dec-05 02:43 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Concerning Outlander Thieves/Assassins, Tac, 29-Dec-05 03:32 PM, #2
     Reply RE: Concerning Outlander Thieves/Assassins, Butterfly, 02-Jan-06 09:40 AM, #6
          Reply Umm... not exactly....., Tac, 02-Jan-06 03:28 PM, #9
     Reply RE: Concerning Outlander Thieves, WildGirl, 01-Jan-06 03:11 PM, #3
          Reply My thoughts, DurNominator, 01-Jan-06 07:02 PM, #4
          Reply Counterpoint, WildGirl, 02-Jan-06 03:10 AM #5
               Reply I think you are missing a game balance aspect, incognito, 02-Jan-06 12:46 PM, #7
                    Reply What is any scarier about a thief in outlander, A2, 03-Jan-06 12:13 PM, #10
          Reply RE: Concerning Outlander Thieves, Valguarnera, 02-Jan-06 02:51 PM, #8
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #11546 Previous topic | Next topic