DogeThu 10-Jan-08 02:03 PM
Member since 02nd Apr 2003
117 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#130, "RE: Improvements to Bedouin rangers"

>I recently did demos with this skill against non-vulns. Two
>hits also makes the person feint a round. All in all, this is
>not that bad of a skill.

Yeah, I remember this skill being brought up by someone else awhile back and someone (possibly Zulgh?) saying he'd check. So maybe some tweaking has been done since my aborted attempt at a hero ranger.

>I wouldn't have a problem with the first part of this. I could
>only see the "resistant to fog" available in the desert. I
>think they already resist blindness dust.

Only fought an assassin 3 times, and never got a blindness\poison dust nor had an opportunity to test it. But I think this is a simple and needed tweak to allow the furrowed gaze bit of this kit apply to anything "dusty". Maybe link it to sandswirl...

>Dessicate seems like a band aid on a gaping wound. The other
>stuff doesn't really seem to fit. How about a "call sandstorm"
>spell instead? It would be like an area whirling simoon in a
>desert. However, this doesn't really fix any of their "outside
>the desert" viability, but would certainly make them nastier
>in the deserts, which is what I feel they are lacking.

Lots of spell options here. I just do not recall much lighting in the deserts. My feeling that the whole control weather worse, call lighting target thing is just not too workable as a Bedouin. Altho, maybe being a dumb fire giant did not help matters. So something else that fits with the theme is what I was after. And dessication and flash floods are certainly desert phenomena. How often were up able to get a lighting strike in the desert?

Re: Sundog.

Go to wikipedia or flickr for a picture/explanation. I'm thinking that a Bedouin might have some affinity for basic sun magic and that this could be a potential additional spell for them, and one that is usable in any outdoor environment. That's what I feel they need as deserts are rare and many of the spells/skills of the Bedouin kit do not port well to other terrains.

In the end I don't think much is needed, esp. if dervish dance has been improved. (Did you notice it getting worse out of the desert?) I think adding/upgrading the dust resistance irrespective of terrain, changing something in the magic department and a snare-like replacement for snare would probably solve the riddle.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicImprovements to Bedouin rangers [View all] , GinGa, Tue 27-Nov-07 09:03 PM
Reply RE: Improvements to Bedouin rangers, Doge, 08-Jan-08 09:45 AM, #8
Reply RE: Improvements to Bedouin rangers, WildGirl, 10-Jan-08 12:32 PM, #9
     Reply RE: Improvements to Bedouin rangers, Doge, 10-Jan-08 02:03 PM #10
          Reply RE: Improvements to Bedouin rangers, Tahren, 10-Jan-08 02:56 PM, #11
               Reply RE: Improvements to Bedouin rangers, WildGirl, 10-Jan-08 03:43 PM, #12
Reply Falcons, yup, Amortis, 21-Dec-07 09:50 AM, #6
Reply Seems reasonable, WildGirl, 21-Dec-07 07:45 PM, #7
Reply RE: Improvements to Bedouin rangers, _Magus_, 27-Nov-07 10:45 PM, #2
Reply I saw Bear fall into a pit of Quicksand on Man vs Wild ..., trewyn, 05-Dec-07 04:52 AM, #3
     Reply Lightning sand, snow sand or just 'dry quicksand' does ..., GinGa, 05-Dec-07 05:07 AM, #4
     Reply RE: I saw Bear fall into a pit of Quicksand on Man vs W..., _Magus_, 05-Dec-07 04:57 PM, #5
Reply Added to the long-term list..., Zulghinlour, 27-Nov-07 09:36 PM, #1
Top Long-Term Projects Topic #37 Previous topic | Next topic