Subject: "Social Networking x 3" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #260
Show all folders

TacWed 21-Nov-07 06:32 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#260, "Social Networking x 3"

1) While some (most? all?) of us are old farts who pine for the days of usenet instead of the craptacularness that is the facebook/myspace age, I image at least some subset of our player base is active in these communities. I'm pretty sure CF could be too. I don't think you'd have to be an Imm, but someone out there could make an official unofficial myspace and facebook page that people could friend or whatever. From my understanding, you should be able to add some graphics and a link to the messages or something, and thus direct people here, or to the myspace/facebook page would would send them here. If adult film actresses can do it, why not us?

2) If we're going to attract a bunch of newbs (that is the goal right?) we should give them a leg up so that 3 of them don't end up lost in galadon together. Solution: The "Born Leader" quest. This would be something completable before leaving the academy but be prohibitively difficult for anyone who isn't at least a semi-vet at CF. The reward would be a semi-permanent title ("Born Leader") that would go away circa ~25 and would confer moral benefits when grouping with newbs (as identified by the rolling process).

As for making it impossible for newbs, but not a chore for people who are doing it to help out, I was thinking stuff like a race to a predetermined spot, possibly blind, and maybe tracking an NPC who's acting PC ish, if that makes sense. Sure, even the greenest of newbs can complete Simon's quest eventually, but can they navigate from the academy to the blacksmith in Balator while blindfolded in under 3 minutes? That sort of thing.

Obviously, something in the Academy should point newbs to those with the Born Leader title as people who can help them out.

3) Newyears Noobsplosion: A promotional day on Jan. 10 or so that consists of:

A) A new landing page, promoting the New Year's Noobslposion Event... MORE BLOOD!
B) Idea number 2, for helping them get some ranks with a veteranish player before people start pwning their newbie breadz.
C) Some buttons to digg, or reddit (or whatever, or both) for promoting our new blood promotional event. I shouldn't have to point out that having it all go live on the 10th (A sunday, lowish traffic day) would be ideal for gaining maximum effect for not just that day, but the week or so following. Playable web games isn't a high-turnover category on digg (the only one I'm familiar with)

Put these all together and we could have 100's of new players at least trying it out. Even with a low retention rate, it could mean big returns.

There, I've done all the hard part coming up with the ideas*, now get to it

* I'd create myspace/facebook sites for us, but I'd rather shoot myself in the face with an automatic weapon.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicSocial Networking x 3 [View all] , Tac, Wed 21-Nov-07 06:32 PM
Reply RE: Social Networking x 3, Cerunnir, 21-Nov-07 07:38 PM, #1
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #260 Previous topic | Next topic