Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #286
Show all folders

incognitoSun 26-Oct-03 06:01 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#286, "teaching new players the ropes"

I was just reading an article on Top Mud Sites about retaining new players. Thinking back to when I look in on a mud, the things that put me off the most are:

1. Not being able to find my way around.
2. Not really knowing which commands are available or why they might be good.

So, I was toying with the idea of a help-system that you can toggle on and off in the newbie ranks, plus if the toggle is on, you get a final talk from your guildmaster just before you hit level 11 (pk range). People with this option toggled on will not be promoted from level 10 to 11 until they've visited the guildmaster and listened to his talk.

The details. There are three main things...

1. Put guides who will follow you around up to level ten, and give directions to specific places (syntax GUIDANCE - guide says "I can direct you to the following places from any of these locations"). Guide will demand a fee (say 20 copper). Places he will direct you to include the entrance your guild, any area listed in HELP NEWBIE or HELP NEWBIE2, your relevant temple in Galadon, Hamsah, Arkham, the Modan, Ruined city, Galadon, Udgaard, Darsylon, Tir Talith, the inn, the wizard, the baker. Places he will direct you from include (taking Galadon as an example), market square, one of the temples, your guild. Perhaps make more complex directions cost more.

2. Tactical advice. I'd have echoes that come up after a fight saying stuff like "If you use your dirt kicking skill you can blind your opponent. This will stop him disarming you, and he won't be able to attack you if you flee until the next tick. He will also not pick up anything he can't see, which is useful if you disarm him and want to grab his weapon before he can. Finally his hitroll will reduce, making it slightly harder for him to hit you or to use certain skills against you."

3. The lecture before reaching level 11. Taking assassins as an example, this might include info like "when you carry out the kotegaeshi technique to maximum effect, you will render your opponent unable to use one of his arms, even magic and armor would otherwise mean he is still strong enough to hold something in it."

Perhaps make the lecture only point out one of a range of useful facts, and give it every five levels. That way a person may have to play 3 assassins before too many finer points have been passed onto them.

What do people think? Too much hand-holding? Too little?

Also, I'd knock the pen skill down to level 1, so that people have an ic way of noting down directions.

I don't think this limited assistance would mean that people don't interact with other players. After all, you still need to find the weaponsmith etc. I just think this would help people find their bearings, if such code took account of hometown, class etc.

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topicteaching new players the ropes [View all] , incognito, Sun 26-Oct-03 06:01 PM
Reply Way ahead of you. NT, Blachmianan, 27-Oct-03 09:13 AM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #286 Previous topic | Next topic