Subject: "Conjurers..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1222
Show all folders

coneyisland2400Sat 01-Apr-06 10:36 AM
Member since 01st Apr 2006
1 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1222, "Conjurers..."

...be forewarned. These are the words of a newbie(or newb, or n00b, or whichever variation best suits you). I haven't had any level 50s, nor even any level 10s. I haven't pwnt anybody, I haven't turned water to wine, I haven't split the seas, I haven't caused locusts to fall upon Galadon(yet).

With that said, this could very well be dismissed as being newb complaints, bait for pages upon pages of flame. Hey, whatever--to each their own. Still, I feel the need (read: Frustration) to ask this.

In looking at most of the other classes, they are designed in such a way as to give you an appropriate impression of the class within the first 10 levels. I'm not talking about endgame tactics, or even midgame tactics, or kewl spells, or anything like that. I'm talking about the 'feel' of a character, the feel of a class.

By level 10, a new person playing an Antipaladin -feels- like the kind of guy who would flip off a box of kittens and lay waste to towns.

By level 10, a new person playing an Invoker -feels- like he's got at least a rudimentary control over the forces of the elements, and can look forward to exploring his progression into power.

By level 10, a new person playing a Thief -feels- like the pickpocket he is, ready to begin his career in earnest, swear allegiance to a guild and start his ascension towards Kingpin status.

By level 10, a new person playing a Shapeshifter or a Transmuter has access to some metamorphic abilities, and while they are barely into anything resembling their true power, they have tools that they can work with, tools which allow him to -feel- like a neonate taking those first few steps onto the path of the Shapeshifter, or perhaps casting eyes upon his neighbor with a curious glare.

The same could be said of any of the other classes, really. For the sake of brevity, I won't go through -each and every one-...save one important example, the one that I hope will make my point.

By level 10, a Conjurer does not feel like a conjurer in the least. By level 10, he's got...Magic Missile.

Magic. Freaking. Missile.

Yay.

Where are the spells meant to make a newbie Conjurer -feel- like a Conjurer? Only halfway to that point myself, I look at the spell progression and wonder what, precisely, am I supposed to -do- before I even get my familiar?

I don't feel like a conjurer. I feel like a one-note wonder, minus the 'wonder' part. When spamming magic missile isn't possible/prudent, I have...my whip. The last couple of levels were made quick and efficient by storming the upper level of the newbie dungeons, over and over again...but that's little more than an exercise in human botting.

The next five levels hold little interest for me, and the trek to my first /real/ Conjurer spell promises to be an exercise in tedium. Looking at the progression, it appears that the best way to do this is to leech xp from friendly groups...though I imagine there aren't many sympathetic ears to the plight in that range. Hell, I know I wouldn't stand for having a groupmember who basically stood there, sponging.

So, now that I've said that, my questions.

1. For experienced Conjurers, what did you do/how did you make it past the early levels without gouging your eyes out? How did you make yourself survivable against pre-level 17 PK attempts, overleveled equipment aside?

2. Is it at all possible for the Conjurer class to receive a lookover, perhaps receive some low level spells that -feel- like the name of the class? Even if it were something as lowly as 'Conjure Goblin'/'Bind Goblin' or even 'Conjure Rottweiler', it would go miles towards making the class feel like it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Thanks for listening to me rant, and I hope to receive some positive feedback/criticism.

-Coney Island

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicConjurers... [View all] , coneyisland2400, Sat 01-Apr-06 10:36 AM
Reply RE: Having leveled two rencent conjurers to hero..., silencedstatik, 02-Apr-06 12:02 AM, #3
Reply RE: Having leveled two rencent conjurers to hero..., pklang, 03-Apr-06 09:55 PM, #4
Reply Some advice, DurNominator, 01-Apr-06 01:50 PM, #2
Reply RE: Conjurers..., Aodh, 01-Apr-06 11:31 AM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1222 Previous topic | Next topic