Subject: "my tips for cabal interviews" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2413
Show all folders

IsildurSun 10-May-09 02:59 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2413, "my tips for cabal interviews"

Preface: these are based on my personal pet peeves over the course of three Fort leaders. Your mileage may vary.

1. Never turn down an opportunity to meet with someone in the cabal, especially a leader, when that person offers up his or her time. It doesn't really matter that you're about to get a rank; when someone asks, you drop what you're doing and go talk to them.

2. If the person interviewing you has to quit before the interview is completed, or tells you to do some task before meeting with him again, don't whine about it. In general, try to avoid whining...ever.

3. Try to avoid conducting yourself in the interview any differently than you normally conduct yourself. This applies especially to "novel" speech patterns. I've had people talk to me in faux "Middle English", in "dumb giant speak", and "scottish dwarf speak" only to have the accent mostly vanish after that.

4. Try to avoid excessively vague and cliched phrases. This is especially a problem for Fortress interviews, where people talk about wanting to "defend the Light". "Defend the light?" Huh? What, do photons need defending? Some group of people apparently believe that to get inducted into Fortress you need to spout "good-aligned mumbo jumbo" nonstop. Trust me, that's not the case. Personally, I much prefer it when people speak to me in concrete terms, without a bunch of grandiose melodrama.

5. Don't try to suck up to the person interviewing you by fawning over them and generally showering praise on them. I mean, sure, you can and should act respectful, but some people go overboard to an obscene degree. I guess it's possible this approach might "work" on some people, but when it doesn't work it really makes you to come across as annoying and manipulative.

6. Don't remark at how well geared the person interviewing you is, even if they happen to be decked. This may be less applicable if you're interviewing for an evil cabal. For Fort, though, if someone looked at me and "whistled" to indicate their approval of what I was wearing...it just made them seem like a gear-whore.

7. When you're asked, "Why do you want to be a {insert cabal} member?" don't take that as an invitation to basically do a one-way "dump" of your entire role. Remember that you're having a conversation. Frequently I've had people launch into extremely long and involved histories of their character's entire life, when really all I wanted to know is why they want to be a Squire. Sure, maybe some of that history is relevant, but can't it be summarized somehow? With some, it almost seemed like they'd prepared the whole thing beforehand, and had a script that was emitting it line-by-line according to some time interval.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topicmy tips for cabal interviews [View all] , Isildur, Sun 10-May-09 02:59 PM
Reply Cosign, completely., Java, 10-May-09 04:43 PM, #3
Reply RE: my tips for cabal interviews, asylumius, 10-May-09 04:09 PM, #2
Reply *blush* Ahrm..., Amberion, 10-May-09 03:48 PM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2413 Previous topic | Next topic