Subject: "Hopefully silent change to NPC casting/communing." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1558
Show all folders

ValguarneraSun 14-Sep-08 09:31 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1558, "Hopefully silent change to NPC casting/communing."

First, a little background:

1) When your PC casts a spell (or communes, or calls a power, etc.), you enter a function like 'cast' that goes through all the generic things that can influence spellcasting-- do the basic echoes (saying words, nodding, etc.), are you muted, can you pay the mana cost, do you have Spellcraft, does the target have Spellbane up, etc. If the spell 'goes off' at all, you're then sent on to the spell itself.

2) Under the old system, when an NPC casts a spell (or communes, etc.) it skips all of that initial stuff and just goes right to that spell. Not that we plan to let BattleRagers Spellbane NPC spells the way they can do it to PC spells (it's ridiculously good against someone that probably won't adjust tactics), but it's an example of something old-style ROM just wasn't set up to do.

3) I've made some changes that should allow us to at least have decisions during NPC casting (needed for an upcoming project where I got tired of doing workarounds for this sort of thing), and some of them have been active for a bit. Right now, they should be invisible, but please be on your toes and let us know if NPC mages/clerics are acting weird-- casting spells but nothing happens, double-casting spells, casting spells at the wrong time (Infravision during combat, etc.) etc. I did some testing but this required a lot of rewriting, and somewhere something probably got eaten.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicHopefully silent change to NPC casting/communing. [View all] , Valguarnera, Sun 14-Sep-08 09:31 AM
Reply Long overdue, Foolio, 19-Sep-08 11:47 AM, #3
Reply I think it would be awesome., Zephon, 19-Sep-08 11:47 AM, #2
Reply Nice!, Daevryn, 14-Sep-08 12:26 PM, #1
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1558 Previous topic | Next topic