Subject: "Case by case. Some general notes:" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1149
Show all folders

ValguarneraTue 20-Feb-07 02:22 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1153, "Case by case. Some general notes:"

It appears that some edges are diametric opposites and I am curious if one is greater than the other. To wit:

Assassin takes the extra special Kot'ing edge.
Paladin takes the extra special strong wrists edge.

Does this end up being a wash and the assassin will kot the paladin the same way he would have if neither had chosen an edge at all?

All of the following has the caveat that I haven't looked at how Kotegaeshi was modified, and I'm speaking as generally as possible.

1) That answer will vary from Edge to Edge. In some cases, there will be perfect cancellation (i.e., no detectable difference in gameplay). In other cases, there won't be a net difference in gameplay-- for example, maybe the skill in question succeeds more often but does less when it does succeed. In still other cases, one Edge is more powerful than the other for some reason. There isn't a universal system.

2) The people coding and 'pricing' Edges know what the strongest skills are. Broadly, you tend to pay a lot more for a lot less for a common skill. If you take an Edge based around a more obscure skill like Poison Darts or whatever, it will probably have a bigger impact on that skill. Also, Edges which enhance strong skills tend to avoid a "rich get richer" effect-- witness how the Assassinate-themed Edges help ancillary things besides striking a kiling blow.

3) Edges for your skills tend to be more powerful than Edges against someone else's skills, and are priced accordingly.

Consider the case in question. The anti-Kotegaeshi Edge is only useful in ~1/16 of your PK fights, assuming all classes equal(*). (Even that assumes that it's what your assassin opponent will do.) If you're an assassin, the pro-Kotegaeshi edge is potentially useful in every fight.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

(*): They aren't, of course, and assassins run a little more common.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicAssassin Edges! [View all] , Daevryn, Mon 19-Feb-07 11:14 PM
Reply RE: Assassin Edges!, (NOT Graatch), 20-Feb-07 02:11 PM, #1
     Reply Case by case. Some general notes:, Valguarnera, 20-Feb-07 02:22 PM #2
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1149 Previous topic | Next topic