Subject: "RE: Not helpful" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Bug Submissions Topic #25532
Show all folders

IshuliTue 12-Mar-24 08:29 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2147 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25543, "RE: Not helpful"
Edited on Tue 12-Mar-24 08:51 AM

What mob?
What house?

I know for you it is all in context and just happened so you know it.

But between when you posted this and now I've gone through a ton of other CF code stuff so I, again, have no idea what you're talking about.

UNLESS you do what the anchored post asks, what I asked for, etc. -
FULLY explain the issue, in context, and include a snippet showing me.

Explain it like I'm an idiot. Because otherwise I can miss what you are talking about. I'm not even aware that <mob> (whichever it is) shouldn't go to <room> (whatever that is).

Maybe this is a chance to re-explain this, so I'm editing this post to go further as a guide for bugposts to go alongside the guiding post -> https://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=17&topic_id=12367&mesg_id=12367&page=

If your bugpost involves a mob, what mob?
* Don't say "The guard east of Hamsah". I don't know which guard. And I can't go "east" in the code. I need to know the exact, specific mob. Paste their name/longdesc (what you see in the room with them). That will tell me which mob it is about.

If it involves a room, what room?
* Don't say "West locked room of Galadon". Paste the room's full name, or if multiple rooms share the name, the description of the room. Again - I can't just "goto locked west room" in the code. Not how it works.

If it involves an object, what object?
* Don't say "The flaming sword". Paste the object's full name. If something is modifying the object, then include any modifications since otherwise I have no way of knowing.

If it involves YOUR character
* Include your SCORE. Include your AF list.
* If it is a pfile problem, I can't check without knowing your character's name.
* Sometimes it may relate to an affect that YOU, the player, don't know does a certain thing - in which case that list can help me identify so I can go "Ah I see what it is here".

If it involves a mechanic, explain what is expected vs. what happened?
* What SHOULD have happened?
* What DID happen?
* Explain the distinction, include a log snippet, show me the problem. Don't just tell me there IS a problem (I'm sure there are plenty) but SHOW it to me. The better you show it the more quickly I'll fix your bugpost, and the more I'll appreciate you (and Ish-appreciation is a high value currency).

If it involves something that should be balanced better
* STOP! This is the bugboard. NOT THE PLACE! Take it to the ideas channel or the Gameplay forum.

If it involves COMPLEX mechanics
* It is better to over-explain than under-explain. I promise I won't take it in a condescending fashion, even if you "There is the dog. The dog ran. The dog ran fast." I'm not fixing bugs for my ego, but for the MUD, so explain explain explain and act like I'm a level 4 orc.

Please include all the above details in a single post. Because if it is multiple, I promise I've looked through 10+ bugs between your first and your second and I no longer remember what you are talking about. Plus I can't respond without making your post visible, which in doing so, I must snip your identifying info from the post (character, score, logs, etc.)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicBug! ? :) [View all] , The most famous lightwalker (Anonymous), Sat 09-Mar-24 02:07 PM
Reply Not helpful, Ishuli, 10-Mar-24 11:57 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Not helpful, Panmornes My deadbeat Dad (Anonymous), 12-Mar-24 08:27 AM, #2
          Reply RE: Not helpful, Ishuli, 12-Mar-24 08:51 AM #3
Top General Discussions Bug Submissions Topic #25532 Previous topic | Next topic