Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #24199
Show all folders

MekantosFri 27-Mar-09 06:36 PM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24199, "A Less WTF World"

Guys, there are a lot of things we old timers dismiss offhand because we learned about it long ago when the game, in general, was far less friendly to newbies.

However there are a lot of missing "checks" when things are done wrong that, if they were added, would save everyone a huge headache.

My example, just to get you thinking along the same line, is the "invoke" command.

As it stands, this is typically done with a keyword/phrase. However, if the wrong one is used or nothing is used at all, there is no message. As far as I know there is just a blank line return.

There needs to be something there. For items without an invokable ability, something like "You sense nothing from X as you attempt to draw forth its power." For items with an invokable ability, but where the wrong keyword/phrase is used, something like, "Your skin tingles momentarily as energy flickers and fades within X."

"Use" also could use some kind of work here. Something to let you know that even if you are trying to do something incorrectly, you are at least on the right track. I don't think complete and utter vagueness helps anyone.

If anyone can think of quirky things like this, such as missing or misleading failure/success echoes, and the like, please post under this (briefly, leaving the ranting to me).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DaevrynFri 27-Mar-09 07:58 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24203, "RE: A Less WTF World"
In response to Reply #0

>There needs to be something there. For items without an
>invokable ability, something like "You sense nothing from X as
>you attempt to draw forth its power." For items with an
>invokable ability, but where the wrong keyword/phrase is used,
>something like, "Your skin tingles momentarily as energy
>flickers and fades within X."

I don't really see this as possible, unless you want to see that echo for every piece of gear you have when you invoke something unsuccessfully, and every piece of gear you have minus one when you invoke something successfully.

>"Use" also could use some kind of work here. Something to let
>you know that even if you are trying to do something
>incorrectly, you are at least on the right track. I don't
>think complete and utter vagueness helps anyone.

Most of the items that can be used that I've seen do this.

StraklawSat 28-Mar-09 01:41 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#24208, "RE: A Less WTF World"
In response to Reply #1

>>"Use" also could use some kind of work here. Something to
>let
>>you know that even if you are trying to do something
>>incorrectly, you are at least on the right track. I don't
>>think complete and utter vagueness helps anyone.
>
>Most of the items that can be used that I've seen do this.

Sadly, I think the majority of the items I've ever found out you could "use", were from the sheer fact that they did absolutely nothing I could tell, but were limited for some random-ass reason, and I was trying to figure out why the heck they would possibly be limited.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #24199 Previous topic | Next topic