Subject: "Getting a cursed rot death weapon from a mob" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #71332
Show all folders

incognitoSun 29-Jul-18 09:00 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71332, "Getting a cursed rot death weapon from a mob"
Edited on Sun 29-Jul-18 09:00 AM

Is it even possible to get a noremove, rot death weapon from a mob?

If so, how would you do it? Can you make a mob walk to a healer and pay to have its weapon uncursed? Does a boiled leather shield really work against a noremove weapon?

Can a paladin's force of will strip it?

Anything else? Grease? Strength loss? (But what if it is then no drop?)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply FWIW..., Twist, 30-Jul-18 12:00 PM, #5
Reply Harumph, Saagkri, 30-Jul-18 12:38 PM, #6
Reply Well..., Twist, 30-Jul-18 04:20 PM, #9
     Reply Well, well, well..., Saagkri, 30-Jul-18 10:45 PM, #10
     Reply RE: Well..., robdarken_, 31-Jul-18 07:03 AM, #11
Reply I'd like to report, incognito, 30-Jul-18 03:29 PM, #7
     Reply Thanks..., Twist, 30-Jul-18 04:13 PM, #8
     Reply Pure of heart. Is this a regular edge?, Confused lightwalker. (Anonymous), 01-Aug-18 01:24 PM, #12
          Reply RE: Pure of heart. Is this a regular edge?, incognito, 01-Aug-18 08:10 PM, #13
Reply Weaponbreaker to disarm..., Saagkri, 29-Jul-18 07:50 PM, #3
Reply RE: Weaponbreaker to disarm..., incognito, 30-Jul-18 12:13 AM, #4
Reply RE: Getting a cursed rot death weapon from a mob, Kalageadon, 29-Jul-18 09:41 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Getting a cursed rot death weapon from a mob, incognito, 29-Jul-18 10:02 AM, #2

TwistMon 30-Jul-18 12:00 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71343, "FWIW..."
In response to Reply #0

In general (there may be specific cases I'm unaware of) - if a weapon is set to rot_death and cursed/nodisarm on a mob, the area writer intended for the mob to have the weapon and not a PC.

So if you do figure out a way around this, you'll probably want to report it. If not, you'll likely get dinged in some way when it gets noticed.

SaagkriMon 30-Jul-18 12:38 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71344, "Harumph"
In response to Reply #5

No offense Twist, but when something is mechanically possible using skills/spells/talismans/wands/scrolls/magical items IC, then it really takes someone out of character to then try to discern what the coder/author might have intended 10-20 years ago and alter their behavior accordingly.

I can understand fixing said issue if it came to your attention and you knew the intention of said area author, but dinging someone for not properly divining intent? That pretty much is telling the players that innovation and thinking outside the box with the knowledge we've accrued over years of play is against the rules.

I've never gotten such a weapon that I can recall, but if I put together a team to weaponbreak/stoneshatter a weapon, got a mind control thief to make the mob quaff a potion of ashes to flame (to change it from good to evil), then have the mob try to wield the -Evil weapon so it zaps him and he drops it, then use my fist of stone so I can pick it up without getting electrocuted until I could ground the weapon on the spike of ages, I'd expect a reward if anything.

TwistMon 30-Jul-18 04:20 PM
3431 posts
#71347, "Well..."
In response to Reply #6

The "ding" might be as simple as removing the item from the char, and asking them how they got it, and telling them it's a bug that they got it and don't do that anymore.

To give you an example of something *somewhat* similar. I discovered with Tavlin (mummy) that with the Zombie Lord edge (I think?) I could order a zombie to wield a weapon.

Then I realized that zombies can be ordered to speak.

Then I realized that I could have 3 zombies wielding staffs of striking and "o all say Strike for the seas!" multiple times per round (very little lag on orders to mobs).

I tested it out on a mob (with just one Staff of Striking) and it worked - hit that mob for 11 *** DEVAS *** level crushing hands in a round (or two, I forget).

Then I prayed about it to notify the coders that it was possible and never used it in-game.

Obviously the person who built the area with a staff that could do crushing hand spells didn't intend for it to be used that way. And at the time of coding it, there wasn't any way for it to happen.

But many years later when edges went in, suddenly one edge made that possible.

At that point it should be reported. Maybe you'll get a "Oh, good job figuring that out. Go ahead and keep using it." Maybe you'll get a "Thanks for letting us know. Please don't do that anymore until it is fixed."

SaagkriMon 30-Jul-18 10:45 PM
801 posts
#71348, "Well, well, well..."
In response to Reply #9

That sounds awesome! But, I'd agree in that case it is pure buggery and if anyone exploited it (especially on another char), they'd be worthy of a couple dings.

robdarken_Tue 31-Jul-18 07:03 AM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#71349, "RE: Well..."
In response to Reply #9

So you're the reason I can't make orc tribesmen dual wield two spears now.

incognitoMon 30-Jul-18 03:27 PM
4495 posts
#71345, "I'd like to report"
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Mon 30-Jul-18 03:29 PM

The lightwalker edge that allows the requesting of such weapons.

Pure of heart.

TwistMon 30-Jul-18 04:13 PM
3431 posts
#71346, "Thanks..."
In response to Reply #7

That edge was made specifically so that good aligns can get weapons that are good_only and cursed (so there'd be no way to RP and get the weapon).

But if it's allowing for rot_death weapons to be requested, we'll probably need to add that to the long list of things that need to be fixed.

Confused lightwalker. (Anonymous)Wed 01-Aug-18 01:24 PM
Charter member
#71350, "Pure of heart. Is this a regular edge?"
In response to Reply #7

Could not find it on edge list or discuss its prerequisites.

Reward only edge?

incognitoWed 01-Aug-18 08:10 PM
4495 posts
#71356, "RE: Pure of heart. Is this a regular edge?"
In response to Reply #12

Think it might be.

I only know it exists because some character apparently used it to get a weapon that kills tiamat easily.

SaagkriSun 29-Jul-18 07:50 PM
801 posts
#71340, "Weaponbreaker to disarm..."
In response to Reply #0

Then you need to steal it. If it's no_drop, then you're really in a bind.

incognitoMon 30-Jul-18 12:13 AM
4495 posts
#71342, "RE: Weaponbreaker to disarm..."
In response to Reply #3

Ah! Forgot breaking a weapon isn't a problem these days.

KalageadonSun 29-Jul-18 09:41 AM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1040 posts
#71333, "RE: Getting a cursed rot death weapon from a mob"
In response to Reply #0

To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to do without killing the mob, meaning the weapon will rot. That is, if it is truly no-remove. If it is no-disarm, then unconventional methods will work, i.e. grease or other attacks that aren't disarm based, unless it's also no-drop. No drop weapons can not hit the ground from any means that I can think of once picked up, or in this case, on the original mob.

The most important thing to remember is that there are multiple affects to consider, no-remove, no-drop, no-disarm, each are different and only the first two are considered curses. So in your other case, two affects could possible be removed by remove curse but the mob also needs to be trusting the healer and as far as I can recall that makes this nearly impossible.

Lastly, the shield of boiled leather... I'm not sure but I do not think it has the ability to snatch a no-remove or no-drop weapon but can steal a no-disarm weapon.

incognitoSun 29-Jul-18 10:02 AM
4495 posts
#71335, "RE: Getting a cursed rot death weapon from a mob"
In response to Reply #1

Just thought of something else.

Kotegaeshi could remove a 2h no remove weapon, or an off hand one, into the inventory. Wouldn't get you past a nodrop challenge though.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #71332 Previous topic | Next topic